Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

A Complete Guide to Dwarf Multiplayer Battles in Warhammer 2

eumaieseumaies Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 6,786
Hey folks,

I finally got around to writing my dwarf guide! It discusses everything - every unit, every matchup, and overall strategy. Includes builds and case examples from youtube.

Enjoy and feel free to pass the link around! If anyone reads this behemoth I'll be surprised but happy. If no one reads it I'll have less informed opponents, which works for me too.

peace,

eumaies

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BxZPd8D1TRxVamjn1KqFy5UU15Yv-fvL3k_kI25_RpA/edit?usp=sharing

Comments

• OrkLadsOrkLads Registered Users Posts: 1,875
    Great guide man, very thorough.
  • ystyst Registered Users Posts: 8,053
    Very useful for ppl that wanna try out dwf
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
  • ReymReym Registered Users Posts: 572
    Great guide indeed.

I'm personnaly making faction guides for a french community discord and I wasn't pretty happy about tryharding dwarves for a month or more to make one about them. :#

PS: And don't worry, from my experience no one is trully afraid of reading behemoths like yours.
    But is talking about what is appropriate to talk about in this thread appropriate to be talked about in this thread ?
  • FitzMazeFitzMaze Registered Users Posts: 2
    Greetings,

Thanks for the guide I enjoyed reading it, as dwarves always were my favorite fantasy race.
    I will definitely use your guide to play and improve with the dawies and why not experience my first game in MP !
    (Iam afraid to get absolutely destroyed at the moment).

• eumaieseumaies Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,786
    Awesome thanks guys glad you like it.

Fitz I wouldn’t fret about getting destroyed. Happens a lot but you can watch the replay and break down what happened in slow motion. Nice way to learn.
  • FitzMazeFitzMaze Registered Users Posts: 2
    I do watch games from milkandcookiesTW and Turin on youtube, but there is a difference between theory and practice...
    I wish we had more guides like this one, it definitely helps the new players, maybe you'ill inspire someone else !
  • Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Registered Users Posts: 9,856
    @eumaies Thanks for your hard work, can i add it in my twitch profile page a link to it (ofcourse i will give you all crepitation for it).
    Awesome thx lotus!
  • haynamshaynams Registered Users Posts: 269
    Awesome guide! Grimnir himself smiles upon you, good sir.
  • OrkLadsOrkLads Registered Users Posts: 1,875
    edited February 2019
    One comment I did find funny in this is that Longbeards have a "respectable attack value"......... at 30.

You can tell someone plays a lot of dwarfs if that counts as respectable MA 😂😂😂
    OrkLads said:

One comment I did find funny in this is that Longbeards have a "respectable attack value"......... at 30.

You can tell someone plays a lot of dwarfs if that counts as respectable MA 😂😂😂

:) you work with what you have!
  • Disposable HeroDisposable Hero Registered Users Posts: 5,573
    Great piece of work!
  • RiggsenRiggsen Member Registered Users Posts: 2,607
    Very nice - thanks Eumaies!
    "CA WHY U NU UNPOOP GAME" (Dank TW meme of 2011)
  • another505another505 Registered Users Posts: 2,474
    Good guide

Im surprised to see how little slayers you use in your build, i usually go 2-3.
    will try your style more

Good guide

Im surprised to see how little slayers you use in your build, i usually go 2-3.
    will try your style more

thanks!

Could be just a place i evolved to in those particular builds. Meta is always changing.

I probably tend towards using focused ranged fire and slowing runes to manage cavalry and large targets. Then to keep those guys from getting swamped I want numbers of budget troops (e.g. dwarf warriors).

But i feel like slayers are strong in some matchups for sure.
  • another505another505 Registered Users Posts: 2,474
    I also love how you never mention the trash skolder guard :D:D
    Haha. Some people swear by them. I find it’s just way too hard to get LOS.

But yeah I completely forgot about them! Will have to edit to say something ...
  • ThousandScoundrelsThousandScoundrels Registered Users Posts: 23
    edited February 2019
    eumaies,

Have you written other guides like this? This is great. Or are you only knowledgeable enough with dwarfs to commit to writing?

For anyone with a guide in mind, take note. This guide is quite complete in detail, and breaks down the information into sensible spheres. As well as being well edited for that nice polish- not too informal.

eumaies,

Have you written other guides like this? This is great. Or are you only knowledgeable enough with dwarfs to commit to writing?

For anyone with a guide in mind, take note. This guide is quite complete in detail, and breaks down the information into sensible spheres. As well as being well edited for that nice polish- not too informal.

Thanks man!

Yeah no I only feel I know dwarves well enough to speak with some authority.

• hanenhanen Registered Users Posts: 470
    Nice guide!

I mostly play kiting armies but come back to Dawi every once in a while when I want to beat my opponent in manly way!

A few thoughts after I've compared your writing with my own experiences.

I didn't see (could have missed it) anything about that maps being your worst enemy. Facing units like chariots on a map with lots of hills, forests and so on makes it so hard to deal with them. Some of my builds have absolutely smashed Chaos and Greenskins on one map only to be a total waste of time on other maps. Cannons and thunderers come to mind as they are so LoS dependent.

Slayers are worthless. What a waste of gold vs pretty much every faction. Outside of gimmicky rush builds I can't come up with any situation I would bring a single one. RoR ones are on the other hand a staple unit in most match ups. CA needs to do something about them. Maybe add the slow effect to all slayers. I don't know...

I'm a big fan of Bugmans Rangers. I find them good vs light cav, non ap infantry and non armored monsters. I bring a lot vs both Beastmen and Skaven. I think they do well vs DE as well to counter shades. They have a place vs WE as well if you expect a 9 vs 9 ranged units duel.

I also like Longbeards with GW. As long as you bring something to engage the front they do a great job flanking and attacking the rear. Warriors with GW do the same job but I find them lackluster if your opponent goes heavy on infantry as well.

I noticed you brought the Lord with minus MA aura vs VC but not vs LM. My experience is that its at least as effective vs the low MA of Lizardmen. Makes your Longbeards outlast Saurus Warriors with ease.

Dwarves vs Chaos
    I'm not a fan of this army at all. When I'm playing as Chaos vs Dawi I pick Sarthorial and then a mix of 12 Chaos Warriors with and without GW + the Mirror Guard. Spread out and move forward. Sarthorial have the armor and debuff spell. Try to begin the the fight with the shielded warriors and flank with GW warriors.

Going heavy on elite units might work but I've never found a smaller elite army good with any faction. Just not my play style I guess.

eumaies,

Thanks man!

Yeah no I only feel I know dwarves well enough to speak with some authority.
    hanen said:

Nice guide!

I mostly play kiting armies but come back to Dawi every once in a while when I want to beat my opponent in manly way!

A few thoughts after I've compared your writing with my own experiences.

I didn't see (could have missed it) anything about that maps being your worst enemy. Facing units like chariots on a map with lots of hills, forests and so on makes it so hard to deal with them. Some of my builds have absolutely smashed Chaos and Greenskins on one map only to be a total waste of time on other maps. Cannons and thunderers come to mind as they are so LoS dependent.

Slayers are worthless. What a waste of gold vs pretty much every faction. Outside of gimmicky rush builds I can't come up with any situation I would bring a single one. RoR ones are on the other hand a staple unit in most match ups. CA needs to do something about them. Maybe add the slow effect to all slayers. I don't know...

I'm a big fan of Bugmans Rangers. I find them good vs light cav, non ap infantry and non armored monsters. I bring a lot vs both Beastmen and Skaven. I think they do well vs DE as well to counter shades. They have a place vs WE as well if you expect a 9 vs 9 ranged units duel.

I also like Longbeards with GW. As long as you bring something to engage the front they do a great job flanking and attacking the rear. Warriors with GW do the same job but I find them lackluster if your opponent goes heavy on infantry as well.

I noticed you brought the Lord with minus MA aura vs VC but not vs LM. My experience is that its at least as effective vs the low MA of Lizardmen. Makes your Longbeards outlast Saurus Warriors with ease.

Dwarves vs Chaos
    I'm not a fan of this army at all. When I'm playing as Chaos vs Dawi I pick Sarthorial and then a mix of 12 Chaos Warriors with and without GW + the Mirror Guard. Spread out and move forward. Sarthorial have the armor and debuff spell. Try to begin the the fight with the shielded warriors and flank with GW warriors.

Going heavy on elite units might work but I've never found a smaller elite army good with any faction. Just not my play style I guess.

Thanks and good points.

Yeah I agree hilly maps are a challenge. Gyros can work and they can give some cover if you want to try a flame cannon but that's often not what you need. Forests just suck in this game in so many ways.... can't see your own units, and then dwarf infantry can't really counter large entities by themselves so ironically they are even worse in a forest vs large. You can take a super tight boxy elite army in a forest but then of course there's the inevitable arguments about who should fight who and where. No fun all around.

I simultaneously hear you on the slayer issues while also recognizing that they are a good all around unit in some matchups since they are pretty good vs some infantry as well as large and give you a little speed for flanking.

That's a good idea about the MA aura and LM. Might be helpful too to have a tanky lord too so your units don't get as terrified in the late game. I usually like the runelord to slow down cav flank attacks though to protect my ranged contingent.

re: the chaos army you mention I've actually had good success with that build vs those types of builds, though maybe a variant with one less crossbow or something. The all-heavy-infantry envelop relatively slowly, particularly if you position your army to one side to start the fight (and you interrupt the timing of their envelopment with runes of wrath and rune) while your ranged units kill one pocket at a time. But definitely chaos can go extreme in a lot of different directions so it's a challenging matchup. I tend to worry more about the disruptors and chariots but both chaos army types are dangerous.

• hanenhanen Registered Users Posts: 470
    eumaies said:

Thanks and good points.

Yeah I agree hilly maps are a challenge. Gyros can work and they can give some cover if you want to try a flame cannon but that's often not what you need. Forests just suck in this game in so many ways.... can't see your own units, and then dwarf infantry can't really counter large entities by themselves so ironically they are even worse in a forest vs large. You can take a super tight boxy elite army in a forest but then of course there's the inevitable arguments about who should fight who and where. No fun all around.

I simultaneously hear you on the slayer issues while also recognizing that they are a good all around unit in some matchups since they are pretty good vs some infantry as well as large and give you a little speed for flanking.

That's a good idea about the MA aura and LM. Might be helpful too to have a tanky lord too so your units don't get as terrified in the late game. I usually like the runelord to slow down cav flank attacks though to protect my ranged contingent.

re: the chaos army you mention I've actually had good success with that build vs those types of builds, though maybe a variant with one less crossbow or something. The all-heavy-infantry envelop relatively slowly, particularly if you position your army to one side to start the fight (and you interrupt the timing of their envelopment with runes of wrath and rune) while your ranged units kill one pocket at a time. But definitely chaos can go extreme in a lot of different directions so it's a challenging matchup. I tend to worry more about the disruptors and chariots but both chaos army types are dangerous.

Thanks for the reply!

Slayers can beat some infantry but for the cost I feel like I can always get something better. 900 gold is just too much for a butt naked unit.

I think the damage from runes are more valuable than the slowing effect vs LM. I go heavy on Longbeards and the combination of charge defence vs large and rampage should be enough to deal with cavalry attacks. You seem to bring more ranged units than I do which should mean I have an easier time protecting my units.

It's slow for sure but silver shields and ap attacks together with stand your ground and the debuff spell means that you should win when you reach combat. Losing a few units on the way doesn't do much as you have the numbers advantage. The cannon shouldn't get its value back and the only unit with higher MA than 30 is the slayers... who will trade badly with the shielded warriors. With that said I can see it winning if you manage to disrupt the advance. But the Chaos player should have the time to get units in position. In my experience at least.

I'll try the Ulthar's rangers snipe squad out to check its effectiveness.
  • IAmKingMidasIAmKingMidas Registered Users Posts: 1
    This is perfect! I just wish there were guides written out this well for all of the factions! I’m having a difficult time finding really good multiplayer guides and this was nice!
    Thanks Midas! glad you enjoyed it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file