Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Question about : Ambush

DarkLordDDarkLordD Posts: 2,323Registered Users
Hello everyone ! how are you all doing today ?

I have a quick question about ambush, something I use very often because its your best friend in some situations.

Anyways, how is ambush success chance working exactly, and more, how does ambush foiled work ?

Once your ambush army is 'discovered' those this mean its see able for ALL factions or some particular ones ?

example :

In the end turn of my Skarsnik campaign it said ambush foiled after WE had there turn, but does this mean its also show able on the map now for Karak Norn (where I intentionally laid the trap for) or only to the WE ?

If it is show able for everyone, maybe its an idea for each faction to find out yourself except for the factions that have an alliance with the one who discovered it to make alliances a bit more worth it ?

What do you all have to say ? I would love to hear :)

Thanks for everyones time ! Have a great day now.
Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor

Comments

• _Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Posts: 933Registered Users
    edited February 12
    I dont know how it actually work.
    But, Yeah, should only shared between vassals, defensive and military Allies or none.

I should make more Ambushs in my future campaigns, it is something I culpable neglect in the past.
    Post edited by _Mad_D0c_ on
  • BoombastekBoombastek Posts: 2,017Registered Users
    When 1 faction discover you, all factions get this info. Chance not know any one.
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Posts: 2,323Registered Users
    _Mad_D0c_ said:

I dont know how it actually work.
    But, Yeah, should only shared between vassals, defensive and military Allies or none.

I should make more Ambushs in my future campaigns, it is something I cilpable beglect in the past.

Thanks for the response !

I think you should too, ambush is absoluty a must have in my campaigns :) I like to rely on it.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor

When 1 faction discover you, all factions get this info. Chance not know any one.

Hmm to bad :( thanks!

• SolidJamesSolidJames Posts: 162Registered Users
    Yes it can get really annoying depending on where the enemy your trying to ambush is on the end turn table. If you are say trying to ambush the Vampire Counts but get spotted by Bretonnia or any other faction ally or not the vamps get that info too which is kinda dumb but hey ho **** happens.

Yes it can get really annoying depending on where the enemy your trying to ambush is on the end turn table. If you are say trying to ambush the Vampire Counts but get spotted by Bretonnia or any other faction ally or not the vamps get that info too which is kinda dumb but hey ho **** happens.

Yes thats not making sense. Why would the enemy share intel with there nemesis.

Thats what I find stupid too. Just share the info between alliances and thats it. Makes alliances a bit more worth it too.

• ForistaForista Posts: 50Registered Users
    Bothers me when I have 100% ambush chance (heroes/lords of any faction they're not close) and still discover my ambush. Why?
  • BoombastekBoombastek Posts: 2,017Registered Users
    edited February 12
    DarkLordD said:

Yes thats not making sense. Why would the enemy share intel with there nemesis.

Thats what I find stupid too. Just share the info between alliances and thats it. Makes alliances a bit more worth it too.
    But some factions may had good relations but not acept alliance. Especially on Legendary. But they are at war with mine enemy. They discover i got profit.
  • RodentofDoomRodentofDoom Posts: 535Registered Users
    Forista said:

Bothers me when I have 100% ambush chance (heroes/lords of any faction they're not close) and still discover my ambush. Why?

Base chance it gets adjusted, downwards normally.

Different Lords & Hero's have different ratings in spotting ambushes, in the same way some are better at ambushing and have a success chance of over 100%
  • Fear_The_WolfFear_The_Wolf Posts: 3,038Registered Users
    Ambush works like this:

First things first, different factions have a different base chance to succeed or fail at ambush. For example, welfs have a higher base chance than most other factions. You can test this by right click and holding when moving. Should be a number between 50%-70%

Now, once you understand how to right click and hold to test ambush success rates, you should notice that different terrain provides different effects to your base success chance for ambush. Generally speaking, the more difficult the terrain to navigate the better your ambush chance. Often times this merely means hiding in a light forest next to the road.

One last very important thing to factor into your success or fail rate is any lord or faction effects. Sometimes these will be the bulk of your ambush advantage. Tretch for instance, can actually double his normal success chance just through faction and lord buffs. The lizardmen have a rite that will add a huge 50% to the top of their ambush chance.

So now that you get the general idea of how to determine and improve your success or failure rate, now its time to pick a spot. Remember the point about harsh terrain concealing you better, but also remember that the enemy must cross your armies zone of control to check for ambush. Pick a spot along their most likely path, not hard to determine, and then camp out in ambush.

When an opponents turn rolls around, if you are within their factions line of sight, meaning you camped out where they could see you go into hiding, they will automatically check to determine if they can see you. This is entirely dependant upon the success rate of your army when they went into hiding. Otherwise they get that check after they enter into an area where they gain line of sight over your position. This is usually the check you succeed at.

If they fail to notice you within their line of sight, you aren't in the clear yet. Once an opposing army crosses the ambushers zone of control, they get one last chance to determine whether or not they can see you. Here is where it becomes important to have a greater than 100% chance to succeed at ambush. That lord has a base chance to succeed at spotting you. That base chance is similarly modified by any lord effects to determine their chance to see you. Taken right out of your chance to succeed. If your chance to succeed is well over 100%, then it likely doesnt matter what chance they have to spot you. You'll make the ambush. If you were sitting at a mere 60% though, your actual chance of success once they enter your zone of control is likely much lower than that.

So say you fail. Bound to happen at least once, especially early on. If it happened due to line of sight, you basically wasted a move. The army is pulled out of ambush stance into neutral stance. Everyone can see you and so you're just kinda standing around like a goofball until your turn and you can try again. If discovered due to an army catching you at the last moment, you're still pulled out of ambush stance. Same as if the ambush worked. The difference is the opponent has a chance to retreat from the fight, or fight on normal terms. You can use this to your advantage. If you want to pull an army out of a city for example, camp out a distance fromt the city. When they march out, encounter you, spot you maybe, they'll back up. But out of movement outside the city walls right where you can reach them.

Lastly if you attack ambush, theres no chance for a line of sight reveal. Its just your modified ambush chance vs their modified spotting chance. You can game this a bit by retreating and trying again. Repeatedly forcing the percentage check.