Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Characters dying/not dying of old age

benjoewoobenjoewoo Posts: 97Registered Users
I seem to recall hearing on a youtube video, and I've certainly seen it discussed as normal here and other venues, that in romance mode, legendary generals do not die of old age.

Does anyone has a citation to a dev reference for this or could point me to a forum post that has this? I was talking about it somewhere and someone had asked for a citation on characters not dying and I could not (still cannot while I look) find the video that I referred to.

I did a search and saw the one forum discussion on TW3K had kind of died down without any relatively recent update posts.

Thank you if anyone can confirm characters won't die of old age in romance mode or can confirm they will in fact die of old age in both modes.

Comments

• mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Posts: 1,682Registered Users
    edited February 12
    Generals die of old age in Romance mode as well. Confirmed by devs during interviews (I think).

There was one youtuber who did say heroes do not die of old age but that was incorrect.
    Post edited by mitthrawnuruodo on
  • Mr_Monkey_No7Mr_Monkey_No7 Posts: 43Registered Users
    I’m fairly certain that Wheels said in the Yuan Shao let’s play that characters will die of old age in Romance mode, but that they can live longer than in Records mode.

This would make sense to me, considering that some characters, such as Liu Biao and Tao Qian, are very old at the start of the game. Also, the entire heir mechanic can’t just be in place in case your faction leader gets executed or dies in battle.

One thing to bear in mind is that one year in game is five turns, confirmed in the same let’s play (winter, spring, summer, harvest and autumn). So ‘time’ will actually pass quite slowly as a campaign progresses. 100 turns is only 20 years (I worked that out using maths)
  • VirantoViranto Junior Member Posts: 443Registered Users
    They can all died. But legendary characters would only died because of an execution, duell or age.
    I don't need a vampiric cao cao. Also death after age should be in.
  • mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Posts: 1,682Registered Users
    Legendary characters can also die when killed in battle. But there is a high chance that they will get wounded instead.

Legendary characters can also die when killed in battle. But there is a high chance that they will get wounded instead.

I think i have heard in the stream that they can only died in a duell, when they don't flee. When they "died" normally in battle, then they only wounded. But after the battle, the ai can choose execute, when you are unlucky. But in Battle, they died only in a duell.
  • benjoewoobenjoewoo Posts: 97Registered Users
    I would like to add that they can "die" in battle via actual fighting. In the Yuan Shao stream, the dev player had to withdraw Yuan Shao and later Wen Chou b/c both were low health after engaging a non-general character enemy unit.

Also in that same battle, the dev player used Wen Chou to kill the enemy general after routing the general, during the enemy general's flee animation/phase.
  • RocketlegionRocketlegion Member Posts: 621Registered Users
    As others have said, they can die in both modes confirmed on stream. Romance mode they just live longer than normal.
  • Shogun_SanjuroShogun_Sanjuro Posts: 75Registered Users
    It's a shame because in 190, all the main warlords are pretty much 38+ years old.

They'll be dropping like flies in no time.
  • YaafmYaafm Posts: 1,275Registered Users
    Didn't they say it in the steam?

It's a shame because in 190, all the main warlords are pretty much 38+ years old.

well say they live till 60, thats 22 years, thats 110 turns. Is not bad.
  • GingerRoeBroGingerRoeBro Senior Member Posts: 3,041Registered Users

I'm sure there will be increased turns per year mods.

I'm kinda worried about all the important/unique characters dieing out and being left with "generics" at some point too.
    So, this will probably be one of the first mods I pick up, and maybe someone could be generous enough to try and flesh out the rest of the characters in order to limit the number of "generics" mid to end game.
    It'll eventually happen though.
    Bigger Budget for game 3?

They're gonna need it for all of the monogod glory.
    Which will be the "4 distinct gods representing the different aspects of Chaos such as Khorne, Slaanesh, Tzeentch, and Nurgle." :blush: ^CA quote

Thank you CA for seeing them as what they truly are.
    Let the Games Begin!
    https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/The_Great_Game

I'm sure there will be increased turns per year mods.

I'm kinda worried about all the important/unique characters dieing out and being left with "generics" at some point too.
    So, this will probably be one of the first mods I pick up, and maybe someone could be generous enough to try and flesh out the rest of the characters in order to limit the number of "generics" mid to end game.
    It'll eventually happen though.
    Have the same problem. Thats why i hope we get some unique late game generals.
    We have some midgame persons, like Sima Yi. But nobody for the late game. I dont rush campaigns. I have a little bit fear, that i have a complete generic game at the end.
    But i think a lot of moders, would make unique generals.
  • YaafmYaafm Posts: 1,275Registered Users
    You know, there were famous warlords later on also. You often do not see them because untill recently DW didn't do that late into history and in RoTK koei, most people have painted the map by then.