Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Crooked Moon Tribe : Mortal Empires

DarkLordDDarkLordD Posts: 2,323Registered Users
Hello everyone ! How are you all doing today ?

Today I would like to talk about the Crooked Moon campaign with Skarsnik in Mortal Empires ! I started this one 2 days ago and it has been all the way somewhere in warhammer 1 after they got there DLC that I played my last Skarsnik campaign or any Greenskin campaign at all. I can only imagine how much has changed right now with Mortal Empires for the greenskins !

First of all, I am in turn 40 or so. I start to get worried. My difficulty is on Very Hard/Normal and many factions declare war on me. You are NOT loved as Skarsnik and I made sure to send my start agent into the badlands and discover Sartosa en the Dreadfleet to make some friends in my lonely travels back to my Stronghold in Karak Eight Peaks(Got it you git !? MINE !! let no stunty or rat tell you otherwise you git!).

in my experience Wood Elf factions start mobilizing out of Athel Loren around turn 80/100 or so, if thats true, I need to hurry up because I only have 2 settlements yet. The begin settlement and Karak Norn (major settlement) to unlock the better units like trolls, squig herds and hobbers and to finally be able to research some technologies !

I could have united the province by now, but I like to finish all objectives in the chapter objectives (with do really slow you down, its hard to not finish the main objective before the bonus are done with capturing or sacking another settlement).

On this moment I got my first 3 squig herds, back in WH1 I cam remember them to be quite the unit. Armour piercing, Anti Infantry and they got around 205 HP per unit. That ain't bad is it ? With Skarsnik they got 50 Charge bonus, and they got some armour (more then the usual goblin armies armour) 50 and some neat trait that gives them +12 LD when enemy is in target area.

I assume I need to rely a lot on my squig herd (3x) and my hobbers (2x, 1 RoR) ? I am also in the progress to replace all Goblins (don't even have AL, so why keep them?) with all night Goblins. Can I better use all fanatics or only 2 or 3 or so and the rest normal variants of the Night Goblins for saving some upkeep ? I think that would be wise, but correct me if I am wrong please.

I am not sure If I should use arrows. I already got poison for the entire army and the damage output is not that much nor is it AP. So I disbanded my normal goblin archers and decided not to replace them with night gonlin archers variant and instead take 3 squig herds and for the rest 5 nasty skulkers, 7 night goblins for a long main line so my squig herds and hobbers can deal some damage and the Great and ALLMIGHTY Archanarok Spider of course. Danm, I never knew the spider was SOO GOOD. its very easy maneuverable trough big blobs, deals terror and fear, is actually quite a good match against other lords and hero's and is overal just awesome and a jewel to be hold. GREAT unit !

What do you guys think? and what to do if WE starts to decide to invade me ? They are only 1 undergrowth away from me after all ... and we are in war. I think my silver shields Goblin only army won't be to much of a match against them, or am I wrong ?

All in all I dislike GS, but Skarsnik and Wurrzag add some amazing flair to the (in my eyes) blend race of the greenskins. This means I never play them, and have very little experience with them. Like I said before, last time was when there DLC came out and now in ME I can only assume the extra challenges it brings to the table.

All help is appreciated. so far I am doing okay. But I do know the real dangers start moving in when mid game is about to enter. I think my first priority right now is

1. Build up a tinkerer and start tech research
2. Get trolls and a Goblin Shaman for Skarsnik his army (great debuff on Da Bad Moon spell)
3. Get a second army up and running, meaning I need more cash flow

Correct ?

Thanks for reading and taking the time to respond :) Being appreciated very much my Warhammer friends ! Having tons of fun so far with Skarsnik's campaign, very fun and need to be very careful.

Dark Lord D the Fearsome (I) ~~~ First Dark Lord of the Old World.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor

Comments

• BoombastekBoombastek Posts: 2,047Registered Users
    edited February 2019
    80 turn 2 setlement. Why you not restart 70 turns ago? You did something wrong.
    It's not SFO where you can get unbalanced OP units and be strong with 1 army.

Angrund ez target Nasty skulkers + ambush. Spider ez smash ranged units.

Basic goblin > night goblin. Only fanatics value.
  • EnforestEnforest Posts: 2,077Registered Users

This is so wrong, don't even understand why you keep spreading your ignorance with statements like that.

Demand more love for Empire, Greenskins and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Expanded Beastmen roster with Ghorgon and Jabberslythe! Bring back Black Orcs variants and Orc Big Boss heroes!
  • DarkLordDDarkLordD Posts: 2,323Registered Users

Dude, I don't say I am in turn 80, again you read wrong as in most of my posts. I am in turn 40 or so, and I told you, I don't do anything wrong in expansding, I do that on purpose, because otherwise I have no time to finish all bonus objectives in the chapter objectives.

So no, not really.

--~~ let them hate me as long as they fear me ------------------------- Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, Roman Emperor
  • AIMA_DracklorAIMA_Dracklor Posts: 4,416Registered Users
    Yeah, The campaign for The K&W are really **** hard, wil belegar I fought the orcs, Dreadflert, Sartosa, the Vampire counts and Skarnisk( wich had 5 armies by turn 30... I lost every settlements at least 1 time, ai could not fight them all off with a single army, but I managed to stabilise with the help of the wood elves !

• Theo91Theo91 Posts: 1,049Registered Users
    I wish they didn’t lock units behind tech for skarsnik. He’s already short of units so don’t punish him more
  • TimpeyoTimpeyo Posts: 1,131Registered Users
    I find his campaign pretty tricky too but I'm taking someone's advice and rushing towards Karak Eight Peaks to take it as quickly as possible, then I'll build up from there making greenskin ally's to offer some protection for a while till I can stabs them in the back or Confederate

Timpeyo said:

I find his campaign pretty tricky too but I'm taking someone's advice and rushing towards Karak Eight Peaks to take it as quickly as possible, then I'll build up from there making greenskin ally's to offer some protection for a while till I can stabs them in the back or Confederate

Hey Tim !

Hmm that thought has crossed my mind, but was not sure about it being a good plan. You would recommend me to do that ? If I go, I cant defend my first territory so if its going wrong, no way back haha.

DarkLordD said:

Dude, I don't say I am in turn 80, again you read wrong as in most of my posts. I am in turn 40 or so, and I told you, I don't do anything wrong in expansding, I do that on purpose, because otherwise I have no time to finish all bonus objectives in the chapter objectives.

So no, not really.
    40 turns and 2 setlement? You still doing something wrong. At 40 turn AI start recruit t3-t4 units, you cant effort proper army with 2 setlement.
  • blaatblaat Junior Member Posts: 3,082Registered Users

DarkLordD said:

So no, not really.
    40 turns and 2 setlement? You still doing something wrong. At 40 turn AI start recruit t3-t4 units, you cant effort proper army with 2 setlement.
    he plays no legendary

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)
  • TimpeyoTimpeyo Posts: 1,131Registered Users
    DarkLordD said:

Timpeyo said:

Hey Tim !

Hmm that thought has crossed my mind, but was not sure about it being a good plan. You would recommend me to do that ? If I go, I cant defend my first territory so if its going wrong, no way back haha.
    Up to you it's just a different strategy I'm giving a go, I just built up a small army and rush too karak taking out a few small armies along the way and then took a few off the less defended greenskin settlement near karak. Made ally with grimgore and now trying to get a few higher tier units before I take on karak. Somehow I still control my Frist settlement so if I feel like it I may raise an army there to defend it

• tanspan88tanspan88 Posts: 201Registered Users
    I wouldnt worry too much about your starting settlement. You’re right the wood elves are awful when they get going, they’ll pop over the wall and raze you down, and its very difficult to retaliate. Relocating is the way to go, and dont worry too much about building up economic buildings.

Archers arent bad you know, especially against empire or other lightly armoured enemies. They wont touch dwarfs tho
  • PdcGunnerPdcGunner Posts: 349Registered Users
    Yeah I like Wurrzag and Skarsnik as great mixups of the goblins and orcs themes.

I played a Wurrzag campaign several months ago as my first Greenskin campaign. After awhile, I got incredibly bored
    having to fight every battle imaginable and hated Grimgor living up to his name and outshining me with getting all of the confeds. I also found many of their mechanics not very fun.

I'll Try Skarsnik when the Greenskins get an update.
    blaat said:

DarkLordD said:

So no, not really.
    he plays no legendary
    Oh yes. My bad.
  • tgoodenowtgoodenow Senior Member Posts: 778Registered Users
    Best move you can make as Skarsnik is recruit a night globin LL that has -15% upkeep ASAP. With lightning strike you should’ve taken that third city and completed the province 20 turns ago.
    tgoodenow said:

Best move you can make as Skarsnik is recruit a night globin LL that has -15% upkeep ASAP. With lightning strike you should’ve taken that third city and completed the province 20 turns ago.

The 'complete 2 mission' part took a while sadly :(

anyways, turn 60 now or so ? And got the whole province. Going good so far :)

Tier 4 karak Norn, so the trolls are unlocked, and almost ready for a second army of gobbla's ;D

• tgoodenowtgoodenow Senior Member Posts: 778Registered Users
    DarkLordD said:

tgoodenow said:

Tier 4 karak Norn, so the trolls are unlocked, and almost ready for a second army of gobbla's ;D
    I get you on the mission but the +5% tax decree or growth decree is much more important unless it’s like an OCD thing.
  • psychoakpsychoak Posts: 2,485Registered Users
    Wood Elves aren't really that hard to deal with using goblins. Your problem is going to be the crushing weight of your upkeep. They can pretty easily require a second army to deal with them, and by very hard, that's a big problem.

Large quantities of stalk vanguard units make it real easy to encircle and ambush them, it's just a matter of having enough units in play to kill their far more powerful, and equally more expensive, elven troops.

The least insane way to get this done is with a Waagh, of course. The only serious option is to take them out on the offensive before they attack you. Your mission focused play style makes this extremely difficult.
  • AvadonAvadon Posts: 1,543Registered Users

Hmmm..."unbalanced OP units"...what a joke...

tgoodenow said:

DarkLordD said:

tgoodenow said:

I get you on the mission but the +5% tax decree or growth decree is much more important unless it’s like an OCD thing.
    You right, but its a thing for me to complete objectives, want to feel like I 'complete' everything and make the early game a bit longer (I enjoy the start a lot, working hard and getting small things done that feel very rewarding).

Avadon said:

Kind of is right ? I don't experiece them OP at all.

• blaatblaat Junior Member Posts: 3,082Registered Users
    DarkLordD said:

Avadon said:

Kind of is right ? I don't experiece them OP at all.
    boombastek is talking about SFO in vanilla they are indeed more balanced though not very much
    look at the fay with her grail guardians :P

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)
  • RazmirthRazmirth Posts: 2,189Registered Users
    edited February 2019
    @DarkLordD

Message me privately and I’ll walk you through skarsnik campaign. I just did a ME one on hard or normal, and I think I can help you. There’s just too much to write here and I’m in the middle of work, so I’ll get back to ya as the day goes on.

PS- I’ll also give the advice without snarky comments or attitude either! So it’s a win for both.
    Post edited by Razmirth on