Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

ME Turn Times - Remove Roaming Pirates If You Don't Play VCoast

Comments

• Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 24,639
    edited February 2019

Canuovea said:

I did find myself attacked by them by surprise, once, and I also think they make good fodder for experience.

They only attack you if you get into their aggro range at sea. They don't do anything else and they never step on land. They ignore anyone but the player. Even the VCoast factions, who would have reasons to come for them ignore them.

They're such a waste.
    I was under the impression they come at you on Vortex campaign when you advance the infamy meter. I don't own them, as I can't confirm. I suspect they completely ignore you unless you're near them in ME, since there isn't an infamy ranking for that campaign.
    Those are different pirates, the sea shanty plot coupon pirates, they have a red streak on their emblem like the rogue armies. The Pieces of Eight Pirates, which this is about, have a blue streak. VCoast players can defeat them to get access to their RoR. They are pretty passive unless the player is nearby on water.

• BoombastekBoombastek Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    edited February 2019
    Turn time of all this rogue pirate summary among 8 less than 2 sec.

Are you sure you play same game as us?

On top left there icons. One of them is camera settings. There you can disable show turn of neutral, ally factions.

I all time disable showing and set max speed of every one, exept showing lords movement that in war with me.
  • Commissar_GCommissar_G Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,656

On top left there icons. One of them is camera settings. There you can disable show turn of neutral, ally factions.

I all time disable showing and set max speed of every one, exept showing lords movement that in war with me.

Yes because removing 8 useless factions from the end turn timer won't speed up end turns.

No siree.

You do know the game still has to calculate their movements even if the camera doesn't follow them? Are you sure you play the same game as us?
    "As a sandbox game everyone, without exception, should be able to play the game exactly as they see fit and that means providing the maximum scope possible." - ~UNiOnJaCk~
  • LuciferLucifer Member England U.KRegistered Users Posts: 1,864
    edited February 2019
    Personally, I like attacking and wiping them out when I have higher level units. Might be a minor annoyance early on, but I think that adds to the fun of it. You have to avoid them and re-think your moves when plotting a course, until the time you can go toe to toe with them.

You could increase the trigger attack range on them all, but that would perhaps not be fun for the player being constantly attacked or a higher probability of it, and with facing them as they have higher tier units. If you're ok with this like I am, then cool. It bothers me not being wiped out by high level pirates.

Another thing you could do with them is re-introduce trade routes from Empire Total War and make them hurt yours and others trade by occupying shipping lanes and allowing the ai and yourself to attack them and siphon income from them points on the trade routes also, if at war with eachother.

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein

My steam workshop Warhammer II mods
  • BoombastekBoombastek Registered Users Posts: 2,121

Yes because removing 8 useless factions from the end turn timer won't speed up end turns.

No siree.

You do know the game still has to calculate their movements even if the camera doesn't follow them? Are you sure you play the same game as us?
    When they are not showed turns they scrolling in micro seconds.
    +1 second faster turn speed from removing pirate factions. (all 8 had summary 1, max 2 second turn speed)
    Great improvement of turn speed.

No siree.

+1 second faster turn speed from removing pirate factions. (all 8 had summary 1, max 2 second turn speed)
    Even a second more is one second the turn timer goes faster and you lose nothing of importance.

Trimming the fat is in order.

edited February 2019

No siree.

A few optimizations here and there and its all good, but tbh its time CA just trimmed the fat of older computers from holding back and hindering companies from advancing. I mean lets be honest, the game still plays at minimum requirments even if the turn times are longer. Simple, upgrade. If you cant what a shame, get a better job.
    Post edited by Lucifer on

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein

edited February 2019
    I have a pretty modern PC.

Turn times are still too long. Removing the roaming pirates would be an easy way to gain a few seconds and nothing of importance would be lost since those faction don't really do anything but exclusive anti-player aggression which is ALWAYS a net-negative to be on the map.

Or did you happen to like it when the Chaos stacks aimed exclusively at the player too?

edited February 2019
    KronusX said:

Lucifer said:

Naa.

Fun aside. The turn times are fine for me, but for others I can understand it. Its never good to just remove things from the game just because you yourself dislike it while others may not. I do believe the happy medium in all this would be to add options in the main menu, much like the laboratory. Only, all factions or races can be turned on and off. If certain ones are off then turn off the achievements for them also. Give the player a bit more leverage in what they wish to see in their games.

To be fair, I can see why people hate the random Pirates. They don't occupy anything , they do not attack anyone but the players and they are basically just jerking off in the waters.

I see them as a feature that was thrown in without regards just to tick the checkbox of ''more features for your bang'' while removing any depth. Would the feature have been better if the pirates took locations but only cities with ports and defended their territory? Heck yes.

Pirates my ass.
    Naa, I disagree. They add life and a threat to the game. Sure, they could be improved to do more, but more of a high tier end-game threat and one that hinders you early on if they catch you close.

Lucifer said:

KronusX said:

Lucifer said:

Naa.

Fun aside. The turn times are fine for me, but for others I can understand it. Its never good to just remove things from the game just because you yourself dislike it while others may not. I do believe the happy medium in all this would be to add options in the main menu, much like the laboratory. Only, all factions or races can be turned on and off. If certain ones are off then turn off the achievements for them also. Give the player a bit more leverage in what they wish to see in their games.

To be fair, I can see why people hate the random Pirates. They don't occupy anything , they do not attack anyone but the players and they are basically just jerking off in the waters.

I see them as a feature that was thrown in without regards just to tick the checkbox of ''more features for your bang'' while removing any depth. Would the feature have been better if the pirates took locations but only cities with ports and defended their territory? Heck yes.

Pirates my ass.
    Naa, I disagree. They add life and a threat to the game. Sure, they coould be improved to do more, but more of a high tier end-game threat and one that hinders you early on if they catch you close.
    No, they don't add life. They are anti-player exclusively which always destroys immersion by being very openly gamey. They should either become real rogue armies or be removed.

They do attack you. But only if you go out on the water. They are there to make crossing the ocean a bit more dangerous and dynamic.

Totally this, and I like that. The game needs more of this kind of thing so you've always got more to do in game, rather than less. It brings lots of life and certain hinderances also attached to it. Venture too close and you're in for a lousy day, perfect!

Canuovea said:

I did find myself attacked by them by surprise, once, and I also think they make good fodder for experience.

This is what I like about them also. They do make you plot your courses better, and hinder your movements. I too have been attacked by surprise by them as I was crossing from Araby coast to Lustria. Was fun, even if it was a very close fight.

Lucifer said:

They do attack you. But only if you go out on the water. They are there to make crossing the ocean a bit more dangerous and dynamic.

Totally this, and I like that. The game needs more of this kind of thing so you've always got more to do in game, rather than less. It brings lots of life and certain hinderances also attached to it. Venture too close and you're in for a lousy day, perfect!
    They only attack the player. Otherwise they just aimlessly patrol the ocean up and down without doing anything.

Nope, that's garbage. Immersion is destroyed by very obvious anti-player dynamics.

Also, if you don't go on the water or just notice that they never break their routine, you can bypass them easily. It's a half-baked inclusion. Just annoying enough to be noticeable but not dangerous enough to actually factor into anything since they never attack coastal regions.

Worst of two worlds.

So, why are you opposed to making them full-fledged rogue armies?

Canuovea said:

I like having them around. Its worth a few seconds, which is really all it takes.

Or maybe we should remove all the Rogue Armies too?

No, those types of armies go by very quickly, especially with the right camera settings. That isn't the problem, and I'm someone who absolutely detests how long turn times take.

I'd actually like to see more marauding armies, especially around Empire and Bretonnia, which is usually in turmoil and civil war. Would be nice to see new factions emerging from that and becoming fully fledged empires themselves once they re-settle.

Canuovea said:

They only attack you if you get into their aggro range at sea. They don't do anything else and they never step on land. They ignore anyone but the player. Even the VCoast factions, who would have reasons to come for them ignore them.

They're such a waste.
    I was under the impression they come at you on Vortex campaign when you advance the infamy meter. I don't own them, as I can't confirm. I suspect they completely ignore you unless you're near them in ME, since there isn't an infamy ranking for that campaign.
    They do declare war on you and will attack you in ME campaign, so removing them removes a bigger part of the game that expends the threat.

• 39821739175248623982173917524862 Registered Users Posts: 1,006
    Lucifer said:

Canuovea said:

They're such a waste.
    They do declare war on you and will attack you in ME campaign, so removing them removes a bigger part of the game that expends the threat.
    They only attack you if you're within movement range in the sea. They never attack your settlements or come on land.
    Lucifer said:

Canuovea said:

They're such a waste.
    They only attack the player if he's within their small aggro range at sea. They don't do anything beyond that. What threat?

In ME you already have barely any reason to go seaborne, so they're largely irrelevant and just waste turn time. In Vortex they can be bypassed easily because they have huge patrol paths whch they never veer from.

As I said, just annoying enough to be noticeable but not dangerous enough to be an actual threat.

Worst of two worlds.

Why are you opposed to making them full-fledged rogue armies?

edited February 2019

Lucifer said:

Canuovea said:

They're such a waste.
    They only attack you if you're within movement range in the sea. They never attack your settlements or come on land.
    What you say is true, they do not come on land. However, they do force an island battle. But, they do declare war and they do attack you if you are in their movement range and of a closer or lesser army composition than theirs.

I have seen this a lot especially on the coast of Araby near Al-Haikk. Also while crossing over to Lustria.

Lucifer said:

Lucifer said:

Canuovea said:

They're such a waste.
    What you say is true, they do not come on land. However, they do force an island battle. But, they do declare war and they do attack you if you are in their movement range and of a closer or lesser army composition than theirs.

I have seen this a lot especially on the coast of Araby near Al-Haikk. Also while crossing over to Lustria.
    Why are you opposed to making them full-fledged rogue armies?

• JuroslavJuroslav Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 294
    I disagree with your main point ... That is that it will make turns faster. It will but those 2 seconds don't hurt.

The other thing is their behaviour. They should be able to attack any faction not just player.

Personally I'm fine with them attacking armies that get close to them on the sea. That's the main point of pirates after all.

From time to time (idk how often it should be) they should sack coastal settlements of any faction and then go back on the sea. Only sack. Nothing more nothing less.

They shouldn't be fully fledged rouge armies because that would mean that they could occupy settlements. And we have enough of pirate settlements everywhere.

And yes, game should respawn them after some time. But let's say that once you destroy them there shouldn't be more than 3 or 4 roaming pirate armies.

TL;DR

- roaming pirates are fine but they should be more aggresive toward every faction
    LOVE FOR DIPLOMACY!!! :)
    Juroslav said:

I disagree with your main point ... That is that it will make turns faster. It will but those 2 seconds don't hurt.

The other thing is their behaviour. They should be able to attack any faction not just player.

Personally I'm fine with them attacking armies that get close to them on the sea. That's the main point of pirates after all.

From time to time (idk how often it should be) they should sack coastal settlements of any faction and then go back on the sea. Only sack. Nothing more nothing less.

They shouldn't be fully fledged rouge armies because that would mean that they could occupy settlements. And we have enough of pirate settlements everywhere.

And yes, game should respawn them after some time. But let's say that once you destroy them there shouldn't be more than 3 or 4 roaming pirate armies.

TL;DR

- roaming pirates are fine but they should be more aggresive toward every faction

Only a few of them are VCoast, so if they conquered settlements you'd have a wide variety of units to face.

If CA doesn't want that, they should be removed. Two seconds faster end turn times is better than an immersion-breaking exclusively anti-player mechanic.

edited February 2019
    Juroslav said:

TL;DR

I have seen certain ones attack others: The Terror of the Dark Straits for instance. I have seen them declare war on other factions, although I haven't seen them destroy other forces, yet. They may have, just not seen by me at the time. You can also influence them with payments to increase relations, of which I have been doing.

I think they're an important part of the game that does add more life and risk to it.

Lucifer said:

Juroslav said:

TL;DR

I have seen certain ones attack others: The Terror of the Dark Straits for instance. I have seen them declare war on other factions, although I haven't seen them destroy other forces, yet. They may have, just not seen by me at the time. You can also influence them with payments to increase relations, of which I have been doing.

I think they're an important part of the game that does add more life and risk to it.

LoL, now you are just outright telling untruths.

Diplomacy with them is disabled. Even your screenshot shows that. You cannot give them payments or interact with them other than killing them.

Lucifer said:

Juroslav said:

TL;DR

LoL, now you are just outright telling untruths.

Diplomacy with them is disabled. Even your screenshot shows that. You cannot give them payments or interact with them other than killing them.

You were saying?

See that little icon that's greyed out and prevents you from actually offering anything?

See that?

Juroslav said:

TL;DR

Only a few of them are VCoast, so if they conquered settlements you'd have a wide variety of units to face.

If CA doesn't want that, they should be removed. Two seconds faster end turn times is better than an immersion-breaking exclusively anti-player mechanic.
    I totally agree that anti-player focus should not be a thing.

As much as I respect your opinion, I believe that they are all pirates in nature (correct me if I'm wrong) and they should stick with pirate theme. That means attacking nearby navies and sack coastal settlements

But I wonder what are the conditions under which you will accept their existence.
    Juroslav said:

Juroslav said:

TL;DR

As much as I respect your opinion, I believe that they are all pirates in nature (correct me if I'm wrong) and they should stick with pirate theme. That means attacking nearby navies and sack coastal settlements

But I wonder what are the conditions under which you will accept their existence.
    They've certainly attacked my navies countless times, so they're not as passive or useless as some on here wish to make them. Thats probably the reason for wanting them removed, warhammerville, easy mode.

Juroslav said:

Juroslav said:

TL;DR

As long as they only conquer ports, it would be well within the scope of what pirates should do. Heck, I've been advocating for the main VCoast factions to be designed in that way because giant pirate blobs are bleh.

The Pieces of Eight pirates will declare war on you as soon as you enter their range or if their patrol path leads them past your settlements. They cannot be co-existed with and they respawn endlessly.

Sorry, but they need to be removed if CA does not plan on making them more interactive and not an anti-player exclusive mechanic.

edited February 2019

Juroslav said:

Juroslav said:

TL;DR

As long as they only conquer ports, it would be well within the scope of what pirates should do. Heck, I've been advocating for the main VCoast factions to be designed in that way because giant pirate blobs are bleh.

The Pieces of Eight pirates will declare war on you as soon as you enter their range or if their patrol path leads them past your settlements. They cannot be co-existed with and they respawn endlessly.

Sorry, but they need to be removed if CA does not plan on making them more interactive and not an anti-player exclusive mechanic.
    I see.

I assume that more or less we agree on the focal point and that is more active approach of pirates.

On the matter of capturing settlements. Well... I prefer them to not be able to occupy cities. Why? Because I think that there is a good chance that after they capture settlement they will not be inclined to set sail again. And if that is the result of it they will no longer be pirates. That means that the whole point of making seas more dangerous is destroyed.

But this decision depends wholly on CA. Should they implement it I hope that it will be balanced and with pirate theme in mind.

Nevertheless fingers crossed for more aggresive pirates.

Off topic. IDK why there are certain comments flagged as I don't see anything wrong with them. Of course that kind of "examination" is up to the moderator not me.
  • 39821739175248623982173917524862 Registered Users Posts: 1,006
    Juroslav said:

Juroslav said:

Juroslav said:

TL;DR

I see.

I assume that more or less we agree on the focal point and that is more active approach of pirates.

On the matter of capturing settlements. Well... I prefer them to not be able to occupy cities. Why? Because I think that there is a good chance that after they capture settlement they will not be inclined to set sail again. And if that is the result of it they will no longer be pirates. That means that the whole point of making seas more dangerous is destroyed.

But this decision depends wholly on CA. Should they implement it I hope that it will be balanced and with pirate theme in mind.

Nevertheless fingers crossed for more aggresive pirates.

Off topic. IDK why there are certain comments flagged as I don't see anything wrong with them. Of course that kind of "examination" is up to the moderator not me.
    Some users treat reports as downvotes. There is no real hide comment or ignore user option, so they keep reporting the posts they don't like.