Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Warhammer 2 Bad performance?

LoffenmeisterLoffenmeister Posts: 88Registered Users
Okay so i just got back into Warhammer 2 after a years break or so, thanks to the awsome Vampire Coast... But i noticed my game is really not performing aswell as i would like it to. My game barely hits 50 Fps at 1440p in battles never over 60fps even with details turned down to high and anti aliasing turned to fxaa and antisotrophic to 8x... Is the game just really badly optimized or is my hardware underperforming? Any tips to make it better?

My build includes:

GTX 1070ti
I7 9700k Octa Core
Nvme SSD

Comments

• GCRustGCRust Posts: 604Registered Users
    Are your drivers up to date?
  • LoffenmeisterLoffenmeister Posts: 88Registered Users
    Yes, i updated them a few days ago, even tried the NVIDIA optimized settings and that cripples my performance even more... Really weird as this setup crushes most games i own and atleast gets them well over 50fps...
  • Jedidias1Jedidias1 Posts: 113Registered Users
    edited March 5
    The latest nvidia driver is bugged and kills performance when in forest areas with AAx8, I use the latest drive before 15 February of this year and I get 30fps in forest all in ultra but with the current drivers I just got 8 fps in forest areas all in ultra settings
  • PancakesPancakes Posts: 377Registered Users
    Same, I'm running 2 Rx 580s. (10-20%gain) and a ryzen 1600x with ssd

1080 monitor and I rarely get 60fps
    Game was never optimized properly.

• 39821739175248623982173917524862 Posts: 772Registered Users
    The game's performance was hindered around the TK patch, I think even before, with the Laboratory FLC update. I've never gotten better performance than I did at launch. I don't think it's going to improve until WH3 at the very least.
  • psychoakpsychoak Posts: 2,275Registered Users
    It could definitely use some improvement, but this isn't at all surprising.

1070 Ti is a pretty decent card for 1080p. It's not 1440p material though. Screen resolution is about a tie with AA for performance kill. 4k is just brutal, but 1440p is still a steep tradeoff.

That said, ambient occlusion, screenspace reflections, depth of field, vignette, porthole quality, V-sync.

https://www.game-debate.com/news/23804/total-war-warhammer-2-pc-performance-breakdown-and-most-important-graphics-options

There are lots of things you can nuke for minor effect, that have a substantial impact on performance. You've got plenty of memory, so textures can stay at ultra, and you can basically handle the basic detail level just fine, it's a few features that are going to be the difference between 30 fps dips and a more stable smooth performance.

This is actually a very high end engine, it's not the bleeding edge of FPS, but when you combine it's detail level with the sheer number of units being displayed, it makes killer systems bleed.
    Pancakes said:

Same, I'm running 2 Rx 580s. (10-20%gain) and a ryzen 1600x with ssd

1080 monitor and I rarely get 60fps
    Game was never optimized properly.

Your problem is DX12 beta has never left beta. Dual 580's will only ever perform well in DX12, they're too weak in DX11.
  • SagrandaSagranda Posts: 1,591Registered Users
    Jedidias1 said:

The latest nvidia driver is bugged and kills performance when in forest areas with AAx8, I use the latest drive before 15 February of this year and I get 30fps in forest all in ultra but with the current drivers I just got 8 fps in forest areas all in ultra settings

It has yet to be proven that it's actually the drivers fault or if the driver just exposes a problem with the game, that has been in before, even more.
    CA blames nvidia and nvidia blames CA.
    "Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
  • JackMack10JackMack10 Posts: 114Registered Users
    Gtx 1080/ i7 4790k/ 1440p - majority of settings at high, with unit detail and size at ultra , no AA, SSAO "ON" (2005 shadows without it) . Performance sucks , I know for a fact there was a patch ( think it was before the laboratory) where performance was improved a ton (back then I was using ULTRA settings) but it's been the same or worse ever since... I don't know how WH III will be, but I don't expect improved performance.
  • InsorInsor Posts: 25Registered Users
    1080ti/6700k @ 4,6/1440p running off SSD. All Ultra+FXAA.
    Never got good performance in this game. But it depends on the races too. When Skaven and undead are involved, I can get as low as 30 fps in battles. With other races fighting, it rarely drops bellow 50 but it also rarely goes over 60 except from the first few minutes of a battle.
    Terrible performance all around.
    Also, a few months after launch I switched from a 980 to the 1080ti and the performance increase in WH2 wasn't nearly as much as in other games.
    In fact, in some battles I get the same damn FPS as I did with the old card.
  • NeverBackDownNeverBackDown Senior Member Posts: 1,817Registered Users
    Turn off AA. You won't need it at 1440p. Turn shadows down a little bit, turn off SSAO, run in DX11 only, and can't remember the other setting that makes a big impact.