Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Late game doomstacks for Auto-resolve

CrocketsCrockets Junior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 145
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
I usually like to play very long ME campaigns so needless to say i use auto-resolve a lot. Especially late-game when its only a grind to play every single battle.

As every one knows auto-resolve favours certain type of units over others. There are few units you ALWAYS lose in auto-resolve and hence are not recommended to be taken into army if you are gonna be AR a lot. I am gonna list a couple of my armies which you NEVER lose a unit in auto-resolve unless you are extremely out-numbered.

Dwarfs:
Lord + Runesmith + Engineer + 4-5 Ironbreakers + 4-5 Thunderers + Rest artillery (i like to take atleast 2 cannons and rest organ guns)
This army is extremely OP in auto-resolve and its also very much playable if you want to.

H.elves: (Naggarythe)
Alith Anar + 18 Shadow-walkers +1 siege unit for immediate siege battles.
Another extremely OP in auto-resolve. You can recruit shadow-walkers at turn 1 and you will never lose them hence you can have a max experienced army of shadow-walkers as early as turn 50. Downside is that this army is totally un-playable if you need to fight a battle. You have no armor piercing so a cavalry/armored army can wreck you pretty badly.

Units which do very bad in Auto Resolve:
All higher tier Great weapon units are not worthwhile taking as they have a very high chance of dying in game's AR. Some examples: Hammerers, Greatswords, Har-Ganeth Executioners, Depthguards, Swordmasters of Hoeth. There are a few exceptions to these however and they are Black Orcs and Chosen GW.

H.elves and D.elves full dragon and dragon + hydra stacks.

So list your doomstacks that are auto-resolve dream.

Comments

• Godefroy_de_BouillonGodefroy_de_Bouillon Registered Users Posts: 2,413
    Who cares, you can take everything in SP and come on top.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 19,285
    edited March 2019
    Hmmm, interesting.

I tend to manual a lot, but this different way of play is neat. Good on you OP.

Wrong. A lot of times when you auto-resolve battles you can lose certain units, especially if it's against a force of reasonable size.
    Post edited by Vanilla_Gorilla on
    Malakai is the best choice for a Dwarf LP. Give us Slayer lords so we may form a Slayer host and revel in our destruction!
    But still you can win SP with pretty much anything.
    edited March 2019

If you say so, but that's not really pertinent to the topic. This is about autoresolve strategies in SP.

Bringing it back to the topic as I said you can't win with anything. If for example you brought only peasants you'd lose, infact having low tier infantry in your army is a big no no if you're going to be autoresolving. @Ephraim_Dalton Has a thread on that right now.
    Malakai is the best choice for a Dwarf LP. Give us Slayer lords so we may form a Slayer host and revel in our destruction!
    I just said you can do 19 Star dragons doom stack and be fine with autoresolve. It is just as straightforward as it gets. No strategy involved. Let's not pretend making a doom stack in SP requires some deep knowledge of this game lol.
  • 39821739175248623982173917524862 Registered Users Posts: 950
    LM are really bad at AR, losing units at random even if it's hugely in your favour.
    You will lose single entity units like dinos all the time. It's not recommended you autoresolve anything as them.
  • FrostPawFrostPaw Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,106
    I find phoenix guard and swordmasters are especially vulnerable in AR. For anybody playing high elf factions, best avoid in AR. Think it has to do with a lack of shields.
  • MonochromaticSpiderMonochromaticSpider Registered Users Posts: 923
    edited March 2019

I just said you can do 19 Star dragons doom stack and be fine with autoresolve. It is just as straightforward as it gets. No strategy involved. Let's not pretend making a doom stack in SP requires some deep knowledge of this game lol.

Yes, we get it, you think playing a practically MP-dead game in MP makes you elite. Now kindly stop blabbering about things that have nothing to do with the topic.

The whole point of this topic, if there is a point, is to find less obvious armies that will do well in AR. Using 19 of the most expensive unit in the game is about the most silly way to build your army and it won't even be particularly fun to fight a manual combat either, since flyers are clumsy on the ground.

In my experience, high level heroes are pretty good in AR and both sisters aren't too bad either. Phoenix guards are okay'ish but good roadblocks in manual combat. So rather than full star dragon, I'd go for 2-3 of them and use sisters, phoenix guards, and heroes for the rest. That's just me, though. It won't AR as well as 19 star dragons but it will be pretty good and it will even be fun to play.

By the way, if you think anything works in SP then here's a challenge: Vamp Counts (we all know they're tier 0 and super OP) pure zombie playthrough. You may recruit whatever lords you feel like (and sod it, whatever heroes you want), but the only non-character units you may use are zombies.
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Registered Users Posts: 5,593

Strategy is about achieving the best result with at the lowest cost.
  • GrandChamp89GrandChamp89 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,555
    I can imagine as Dwarf
    1 lord 1 thane 4 organ guns and 14 iron breakers would do pretty well in AR and manual.

I think melee defense/armor focused infantry (Chosen, Iron breakers) high tier artillery and hybrid elite archers (Sisters, waywatcher, shades) do pretty well in AR.
    "It's the hottest fire that forge the strongest steel"
  • JadawinKhanidiJadawinKhanidi Registered Users Posts: 1,174
    Try out armies in the setup screen for a Custom Battle. The strength prediction shown there uses the same logic as the actual autoresolve in the campaign. This was confirmed here by a CA dev when I asked about it a year back or so.

That way you will also discover that sometimes your army is considered weaker than before if you add a unit. Not swap it with another unit - just adding it on top makes you more likely to lose.

It's also not as easy as one unit type will always be good for AR. Sometimes having no unit of a type is bad, having one or two is great, but adding another one is very bad again. The system is pretty crazy.

Myself I gave up after a few tests because it seemed pretty unpredictable and random unless you know exactly what you'll be fighting. And SP is unfortunately so easy that it's not necessary anyway.

No, what you said was it can be done with "everything" and "anything".

This is simply wrong. Especially when it comes to autoresolve. The game simply can't be won with low tier stacks. While your solution of sticking 19 of the most expensive units in a stack will work it's highly inefficient.