Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Will the new Saga be made from Attila engine again?

jamreal18jamreal18 Senior MemberPosts: 8,605Registered Users

Comments

• harngersteinharngerstein Posts: 807Registered Users
    Almost certainly 3K (which is, admittedly, just an updated attila engine, which is an updated Empire engine.) The 3K build has been around since predevelopment, so its at least 18 months old. Since the new Saga is either in pre dev or just started actual development (forget what the blog said), there's been plenty of time.
  • MrMecHMrMecH Posts: 2,137Registered Users
    I hope not. Warscape 32bit is too old. Warscape 64bit is more welcome and advance. Also I think new Saga will inherit from 3K.
    SHUT UP GIVE US GHORGON!!!!!

• FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,402Registered Users
    Don't get your hopes up too much. 3K is not out yet, and if a Saga is based on it there will be much comparison between both games. There might even be competition if they are too similar. From a business standpoint, I think it would be much safer for CA to stay with the Attila engine for this next Saga.
  • GreenKing1GreenKing1 Senior Member Posts: 637Registered Users
    Thrones of Britannia performance is really good even though it's on the 32bit engine. As long as the new Saga title is as polished, shouldn't really matter. I mainly hope they bring back a lot of the mechanics stripped from Thrones
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,764Registered Users, Moderators, Knights

Thrones of Britannia performance is really good even though it's on the 32bit engine. As long as the new Saga title is as polished, shouldn't really matter. I mainly hope they bring back a lot of the mechanics stripped from Thrones

Just curious. What mechanics were stripped from Thrones?
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    edited March 12
    dge1 said:

Ambush battles, for one. Forced march, for two. Some people may also consider that the removal of agents and garrisoned cities were a removed features, but they did explain why it was done (and it worked pretty well imo).
  • MrMecHMrMecH Posts: 2,137Registered Users
    IMO the most missing mechanic is Religion. Clash between Christian and Pagan is one of the most attractive in this era.
    SHUT UP GIVE US GHORGON!!!!!

• Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,259Registered Users
    Fossoway said:

dge1 said:

Ambush battles, for one. Forced march, for two. Some people may also consider that the removal of agents and garrisoned cities were a removed features, but they did explain why it was done (and it worked pretty well imo).
    Forced march I don't miss a bit, that has always been a pretty cheesy mechanic. Ambush I would miss more if the AI was like in WH1 and avoided field battles with the player at all cost. Otherwise it's just another anti-AI abuse tool since I have yet to see the AI make good use of it and that's down to how the game handles it. Seeing an army suddenly disappear from sight...yeah, you probably know something's up.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,212Registered Users
    Fossoway said:

They did add some good new mechanics though, new recruitment, upgrade system and supplies/logistics.
    Fossoway said:

Don't get your hopes up too much. 3K is not out yet, and if a Saga is based on it there will be much comparison between both games. There might even be competition if they are too similar. From a business standpoint, I think it would be much safer for CA to stay with the Attila engine for this next Saga.

There wont be comparison between them unless they choose the same setting which isn't being suggested here. People haven't been comparing ToB with R2 or Attila. The engine doesn't define where the game is set.
    Commisar said:

Fossoway said:

They did add some good new mechanics though, new recruitment, upgrade system and supplies/logistics.
    Fossoway said:

There wont be comparison between them unless they choose the same setting which isn't being suggested here. People haven't been comparing ToB with R2 or Attila. The engine doesn't define where the game is set.
    They definitely did compare ToB to Attila. Remember all those people who said ToB was just an Attila expansion or DLC, or saying that it was just a reskin? I expect the same thing to happen if they use 3K as a base for the next saga. People will expect the same level of diplomacy on the campaign map, for example. That will be hard to match for a saga game.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,605Registered Users
    Better it be Korea and be called Three Kingdoms: Korea
    Fossoway said:

They definitely did compare ToB to Attila. Remember all those people who said ToB was just an Attila expansion or DLC, or saying that it was just a reskin? I expect the same thing to happen if they use 3K as a base for the next saga. People will expect the same level of diplomacy on the campaign map, for example. That will be hard to match for a saga game.

Yeah they compared it to an expansion, as it is very similar to an existing Attila expansion - Age of Charlemagne. That now would have been a Saga game from what I've read which should avoid the comparison.

Diplomacy wont be hard to do, it fits most points in history the issue would be the character driven elements which is a lot harder to do without the civil war element but wont be needed, same way the next historical game wont be limited for it.
  • sunshinetroopersunshinetrooper Posts: 68Registered Users
    MrMecH said:

IMO the most missing mechanic is Religion. Clash between Christian and Pagan is one of the most attractive in this era.

I believe during this period, everyone was already Christian and had been for centuries, even the vikings were officially converted in the 10th century, though I believe they full converted around the mid 11th-12th century. Either way, would the mechanic really work - given the non viking factions wouldn't be anything but Christian? But i guess, Wales would never conquer the entire British isles either, so i guess there is grounds for having people convert to pagan or w/e.

I believe during this period, everyone was already Christian and had been for centuries, even the vikings were officially converted in the 10th century, though I believe they full converted around the mid 11th-12th century. Either way, would the mechanic really work - given the non viking factions wouldn't be anything but Christian? But i guess, Wales would never conquer the entire British isles either, so i guess there is grounds for having people convert to pagan or w/e.

Pagans weren't going out and actively trying to convert people. They also weren't very fussed over people worshiping other gods.