Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Is Chen gong gonna be in the game

KIDASKIDAS Posts: 9Registered Users
As the day draws near to the release of three kingdoms, i am very much curious to ask if my (and probably few other peoples) favorite three kingdoms character gonna be playable. I am of course, talking about chen gong.
He was a man that had talent to rival even cao cao, but he lacked resources to strike out independantly. He at one point became aquainted and even earned the respect of the actual cao cao.
Later in his life he came to serve Lu bu whom was no more than a roaming bandit at that point and he turned him into an actual lord again and a pain in cao caos side.
At the end of his life he was given a choiceand refused to surrender and was inevitably executed by cao cao. In romance mode he almost had to beg cao cao to do it and cao cao even cried after his death. This stuff alone makes you realize just how big of a prestige this guy carried, and if hes not included id really be upset as hell.

So CA please, if theres a slot for 1 more lord id more than gladly love to see him included

Comments

• takilung31takilung31 Posts: 1,318Registered Users
    edited May 2019
    He's already in the game, as a generic, you can see him during the Siege of Xiapi

• aiyouaiyou Posts: 143Registered Users
    He is in the game already, as an AI faction leader
  • XhalXhal Junior Member Posts: 154Registered Users
    Talent to rival Cao Cao? No way.

He wasn't half bad but Cao Cao played him like he plays pretty much everyone except Zhuge Lian or Sima Yi.
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Posts: 1,855Registered Users
    Chen Gong was nowhere near to being a talent that rivals Cao Cao, he was the officer working for Dong Zhuo responsible for the execution of Cao Cao after Dong Zhuo realized Cao Cao’s failed assassination attempt on the former’s life. Chen Gong freed Cao Cao and was running away from Dong Zhuo with Cao Cao until he witnessed Cao Cao commit a huge act of treachery killing the family of the sworn brother of Cao Cao’s father due to a misunderstanding and went his separate way. Then he ended up serving Lu Bu and ultimately was captured and executed by Cao Cao. While not the best talent, his historical significance is more than enough to earn him a legendary status as a unique character because without Chen Gong, Cao Cao would be dead at the start of the game.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KIDASKIDAS Posts: 9Registered Users
    I mean in the novels he literally only lost because Lu Bu trusted cao cao spys over him, and he was still below lu bu so he couldnt do anything about it. + Unlike cao cao he didnt had half his clan be rich land owners that pledged him his support as soon as he set out to free the emperor
  • JerroserJerroser Posts: 300Registered Users
    KIDAS said:

I mean in the novels he literally only lost because Lu Bu trusted cao cao spys over him, and he was still below lu bu so he couldnt do anything about it. + Unlike cao cao he didnt had half his clan be rich land owners that pledged him his support as soon as he set out to free the emperor

I believe that's more to do with Chen Gong have already served Cao Cao for a long time and understanding how he might act in this situation.

He wasn't in anyway a bad strategist, but I don't feel its accurate to compare him to Cao Cao in the way you are doing. Since there is no indication that Chen Gong had any intention of becoming a Warlord himself and was just a strategist/adviser for most of his career.
    I think its more accurate to place Chen Gong at the same level as Cao Cao's top advisers like Xun Yu, Guo Jia and Cheng Yu. They are good strategists and smart people, but just not as smart nor legendary as Cao Cao himself.
  • BerstichBerstich Posts: 180Registered Users

With fairly few unique/legend characters so far

Um, what? 40ish unique character is not a few, and many many more already legendary.

He helped Cao Cao run away a bit then helped Lu Bu fail over and over, was rather small in the scheme of things.

Sure could be legendary, but not really worth it to be unique.
    Berstich said:

Um, what? 40ish unique character is not a few, and many many more already legendary.

The thing is that "legendary" characters don't really feel all that "legendary" when they often look exactly the same as some other "legendary" characters. Sure 40 ish unique characters may seem like a lot, but remember that three kingdoms is a setting with MANY unique and legendary characters so in the context of the setting, 40ish unique characters is very few given that the game is being set in the three kingdoms period, especially as a sandbox game.
  • YaafmYaafm Posts: 1,275Registered Users

Berstich said:

The thing is that "legendary" characters don't really feel all that "legendary" when they often look exactly the same as some other "legendary" characters. Sure 40 ish unique characters may seem like a lot, but remember that three kingdoms is a setting with MANY unique and legendary characters so in the context of the setting, 40ish unique characters is very few given that the game is being set in the three kingdoms period, especially as a sandbox game.
    kinda selfish to think about it from the perspective of someone that just likes the history and not a programmer or developer. Thats a lot of work for the 40 alone I think and those Legendary only 'look' generic. They have unique skills/traits, unique.

If you dont think they feel 'legendary' thats just on you.
    Perhaps so, but that is merely my opinion speaking from the perspective of a potential Chinese customer. However, after seeing that others have also posted opinions similar to mine asking "why isn't XYZ in the game?" or similar statements such as there not being enough unique skins in the game, I would make the argument that its not just on me as others also share my opinion on this matter, although you may disagree. After all, the customer judge whether to buy the product based on whether if they are satisfied with the content, not consider the programming and development behind a product before they make a decision to purchase.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Perhaps so, but that is merely my opinion speaking from the perspective of a potential Chinese customer. However, after seeing that others have also posted opinions similar to mine asking "why isn't XYZ in the game?" or similar statements such as there not being enough unique skins in the game, I would make the argument that its not just on me as others also share my opinion on this matter, although you may disagree. After all, the customer judge whether to buy the product based on whether if they are satisfied with the content, not consider the programming and development behind a product before they make a decision to purchase.

Then your not a good consumer. Your just greedy. "Your making a game about this? Well I want 'X'! I dont care about the time/money/effort it takes. Do it or im not buying it!"

Thats basically half of what I see on this forum, much of it from people 'promoting' posts from the chinese community or Hard Core historians. People being pretty unreasonable.

There are lots of historic characters that did usually ONE cool thing in the story. That doenst mean they deserve to neccisarrly be unique. They made 40ish (dont know exact number) Unique character art and unit models. Thats a damn lot.

Unfortuntly these are individual characters. So only one unit. In other TW games a new Unique unit would be a whole squad of copy pasted units and would probbaly look more impressive. But its nearly the Same effort.

You need to compare to other Total War day one releases. If your not even bothering to take into account the Game side of this, really, your opinion is only half tenable.
    edited May 2019
    Well you don’t have to like my opinion, I don’t have to be a “good consumer” as all CA cares about is whether if I pay the money. I don’t care about other total war games, I only care about the three kingdoms. I don’t need you telling me how to think or what opinion to have, nobody is asking you to agree with me, how about we agree to disagree and move on? Can we respect the fact that we have different opinions and leave it at that?

Well you don’t have to like my opinion, I don’t have to be a “good consumer” as all CA cares about is whether if I pay he money. I don’t care about other total war games, I only care about the three kingdoms. I don’t need you telling me how to think it what opinion to have, nobody is asking you to agree with me, how about we agree to disagree and move on?

Your not giving opinions half the time, your demanding results and saying how CA is wrong and needs to change. You dont need to care about other total war games, but when people give you evidence to the contrary of your opinion, if you choose to dismiss it, you will be dismissed as well.

Without considering all sides is just being ignorant. If you post an opinion, on an open discussion forum, be ready for people to debate and disagree with your opinion. Especially with no thought or selfishness behind it.

No, as long as people keep posting nonsense without considering all the angles, with out actually thinking a little before typing, I'll be here replying. At least until the game releases. Then the real whining will start.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 19,009Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Folks, it is OK to have differing opinions, but let's all keep the personal comments out of the discussion. Thanks.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin