Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Poor FPS...Upgrade or Not?

MrChouetteMrChouette Junior MemberPosts: 19Registered Users
Hey all, I consistently am seeing FPS of around 15-20 in battles, sometimes dropping all the way to 10 even. This is by no means unplayable, and I am running the game with ultra unit sizes and most settings on high, which I’m sure is not helping, but is an ok trade-off in my opinion.

That being said, I am in the market to upgrade my somewhat dated rig, and wanted advice on whether my low FPS is mostly stemming from cpu or gpu issues. Most posts on this forum mention that the gpu is more intensive, but as I have more recently upgraded my gpu than my cpu, I was curious if upgrading from a 3rd gen cpu to coffee lake or something would show some good improvement. Hoping to push at least into the 30 FPS, anything more would be a bonus.

Current parts:
Cpu: intel i7-3770 3.4 ghz
Gpu: amd r9 280x
Ram: 16 gb

Let me know if I can provide any more information. If anyone has any tools or techniques that I could use to figure this out on my own, that would be helpful too!
Tagged:

Comments

• doinwork34doinwork34 Technical Moderator Colorado, USPosts: 2,893Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators
    the lag is coming from the video card. That card is about 6 years old now. Upgrading to anything modern (atleast a 1050ti, rx 580, rx590) will make a world of difference.

With that said, I think your CPU is decent enough. It will cause some lagging on larger battles and will bottleneck a new video card a little bit. However, if you were to upgrade your CPU you would be looking at a new motherboard and ddr4 ram so the best bang for buck would be a new video card.

Good to go for Rome II! CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.0ghz GPU: GTX 760 4gb @1215MHz-RAM: 8GB1600 Ballistix TracerPSU: Corsair HX750w
  • MrChouetteMrChouette Junior Member Posts: 19Registered Users
    edited May 1
    That’s more or less exactly the kind of response I was looking for. I’ve kinda been working on the false assumption that my cpu was the issue, since I can maintain very respectable FPS in recent high fidelity games like bfv and division 2, but those are likely much more optimized and less computationally intensive than warhammer 2.

Curious, would it make sense to get a new gpu and keep the r9 280x installed with SLI? I’ve never really looked into the benefits, or the issues with using an old card and a new card at the same time.
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,266Registered Users

That’s more or less exactly the kind of response I was looking for. I’ve kinda been working on the false assumption that my cpu was the issue, since I can maintain very respectable FPS in recent high fidelity games like bfv and division 2, but those are likely much more optimized and less computationally intensive than warhammer 2.

Curious, would it make sense to get a new gpu and keep the r9 280x installed with SLI? I’ve never really looked into the benefits, or the issues with using an old card and a new card at the same time.

I would suggest getting RX 580 which is pretty cheap nowadays. 280x only have 3gb vram and using 2 wont have much changes.
  • MuhsinTpdMuhsinTpd Junior Member Türkiye Cumhuriyeti (The Republic of Turkey)Posts: 126Registered Users
    You must new video card but if you have enough money you can buy a new intel cpu exactly a new HQ series.
    “Victory is for those who can say "Victory is mine". Success is for those who can begin saying "I will succeed" and say "I have succeeded" in the end.”
    ― Mustafa Kemal Atatürk