Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

ClosedDefensive Towers do WAY too much damage

HugothesterHugothester Senior MemberPosts: 566Registered Users
edited May 23 in Campaign & Battle Bugs
Hello guys, I just wanted to mention that I feel like defensive towers in cities/forts are way too strong.
I loose around 40 men of each archer unit just by getting in range to set them on fire (2 volleys) and inmediately retreating (playing on extreme unit size).

I believe towers should not be decisive in a battle, it makes sieges concentrate on just one point of the city, since you need to destroy them first in order to approach, and you do not have enough ammo nor men to burn towers on multiple parts of the city, especially when there are several defensive layers.

EDIT: I will add the required info as soon as I get home. I believe this classifies as a bug, since units that approach a city with undamaged towers barely reach the walls, but it could very well be classified as "balancing".
Biggest Spanish total war youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/hugothester
Post edited by CA_Nate on
Tagged:

Comments

• AtYourLeisureAtYourLeisure Posts: 60Registered Users
    According to more than one YouTuber, CA already knows this and has already addressed it for the release.
  • HugothesterHugothester Senior Member Posts: 566Registered Users

According to more than one YouTuber, CA already knows this and has already addressed it for the release.

Awesome, had not heard about it, thanks.
    If a mod sees this please close the thread.
  • FwiffoFwiffo Posts: 22Registered Users
    I sincerely hope they leave the towers as they are. Right now, tactics that you usually use in the field, like deep cavalry flanking aren't working - but they shouldn't.
    There are numerous ways to deal with towers - sieging the city destroys some of them, trebuchets, fire arrows, units with stalk. You can also use units with shields. Towers are strong, but easily manageable.
    Right now, there's actually a reason to siege a castle instead of rushing it on turn 1 as was the case with previous games, and that is very good. We finally have siege battles that play like siege battles, not like just another battle of random rice paddy.
    Most complaints come from the fact that people are just so used to fortifications being useless that they're using pitched battle tactics for siege combat, which they shouldn't.

CA, please leave the towers as they are.
  • HugothesterHugothester Senior Member Posts: 566Registered Users
    Fwiffo said:

I sincerely hope they leave the towers as they are. Right now, tactics that you usually use in the field, like deep cavalry flanking aren't working - but they shouldn't.
    There are numerous ways to deal with towers - sieging the city destroys some of them, trebuchets, fire arrows, units with stalk. You can also use units with shields. Towers are strong, but easily manageable.
    Right now, there's actually a reason to siege a castle instead of rushing it on turn 1 as was the case with previous games, and that is very good. We finally have siege battles that play like siege battles, not like just another battle of random rice paddy.
    Most complaints come from the fact that people are just so used to fortifications being useless that they're using pitched battle tactics for siege combat, which they shouldn't.

CA, please leave the towers as they are.

You have not thought this well enough imo, while you have a point, at least shield wall should make you invulnerable to towers or significantly reduce the damage coming from towers, right now it does not.
    Not only that, but they kill way too fast, you cannot even leave archers outside the gates firing since they get obliterated within a minute.
    All sieges are repetitive now, because you always have to set everything on fire and stay away until it burns, there is no other tactic or possibility, that is the only choice, since if even 1 tower remains alive it will do hundreds of kills barely 1 or 2 minutes.