Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Dwarf Campaign NOT "Easy" by any means

Subr1185Subr1185 Posts: 20Registered Users
So I noticed that Thorgrim and Grombrindal have their campaigns marked "Easy" on the selection screen.
CA, please change it to "Very Hard", because they are one of the hardest campaigns in the game.
Or, you know, tone the Greenskins down a little bit early on. Just a little bit, so winning becomes somewhat possible.

Comments

• Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Posts: 3,225Registered Users
    I agree they're not "easy" but they're not quite "very hard." The key is to build tall, not wide. Don't overextend yourself; instead of taking a lot of territory quickly, focus on developing your first few settlements. Confederating or just outright conquering Barak Varr should be your first short term objective as well. This gives you a port with which to trade with the Empire, Bretonnia, etc. Once you have enough money for a second or third army, it's pretty much smooth sailing.
    Build a Slayer Hero and make Miners, Rangers, and Irondrakes great again! Thorek Ironbrow 2020

• sandercohensandercohen Posts: 171Registered Users
    edited May 25
    Greenskins are very easy to defeat when you actually play out all your battles. If you autoresolve then the compounding losses will bite you in the ass in the long run, especially considering dwarfs do not have the best of replenishment rates. Greenskins have trouble beating the dwarfs in realtime, because they lack early game AP. The options they have (like nasty skulkers) are units the AI cannot really use effectively.

You want to build structures and unlock/use abilities that boost growth, as Dwarf growth rates are are among the lowest in the entire game. Like Ol_Nessie said, you want to build tall rather than wide. But you should focus on growth.

Also, learn how to use gun lines properly. Once you understand how you need to space your ranged units, deploy them and learn to exploit their arcs/line of fire, thunderers become one of the most cost-effective units in campaign. They can wreck almost everything from infantry lines to massive monsters.

Alternatively you can focus on just producing quarrelers. Have entire stacks full of them. The dwarf tech tree has a lot of unlocks that focus on boosting their missile damage, ammo count and so on. They can handle themselves well in melee combat so they're not very micro intensive.

I hope that helps.
  • kondenadokondenado Posts: 384Registered Users
    Ol_Nessie said:

I agree they're not "easy" but they're not quite "very hard." The key is to build tall, not wide. Don't overextend yourself; instead of taking a lot of territory quickly, focus on developing your first few settlements. Confederating or just outright conquering Barak Varr should be your first short term objective as well. This gives you a port with which to trade with the Empire, Bretonnia, etc. Once you have enough money for a second or third army, it's pretty much smooth sailing.

I think that the best is to conquer mount Grinbold asap, so you have your ass covered. Otherwise that GS will backstab you quite fast.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,893Registered Users
    It's one that's changed a lot over the course of development. Initially it was easy, then moved about, at one stage being very hard. Now with Barak Varr able to survive, and the VC not slaughtering the Dwarfs above you it's definitely easier than it used to be. I'd say it's a hard.

I was lucky and played a campaign when it was at peak hardness. It was a puzzle that took a while to solve. Great campaign.

Just consolidate your province, build walls, then take the gold mine capital above you. A basic Dwarf settlement with walls can easily defend itself from a 20 stack of greenies. Especially if you hire a lord the turn prior. That's the traditional strategy. If you're having trouble turning the difficulty down is an option.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • CrajohCrajoh Member Posts: 1,531Registered Users
    For dwarfs I try to fight as many battles as possible underground. The underground stance is a dwarfs best friend.
    Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
  • GettoGeckoGettoGecko Posts: 801Registered Users
    Once you know and understand how dwarfs work they are indeed easy if not very easy.
    That said, I really struggeled during my first attempts with dwarfs in game one because their battle style was so different from VC and Orks.
    You aren't in a hurry with dwarfs, you don't need to expand. Just get the unit upgrades first if you struggle with battles if not go full economy.
    Scout with heroes to get good standing with other order factions and trade once you get the port.
    To beat Orks you just need enough crossbows to kill them with a belt of melees around and maybe artillery to pull them, you basically only have to set them up in a defensive formation and than watch to Orcs die when they close in.
  • PatriksevePatrikseve Member Posts: 1,657Registered Users
    edited May 25
    Its actually been something I have suggested since game 1 to make them normal difficulty wise. The early challenge with grimgor was borderline normal-hard. But once you defeat that the game becomes easier. I think hard might not be accurate for early game challenge either. I would put him on normal if I where to change that mortal empires early difficulty text.

• unknown_oneunknown_one Junior Member Posts: 142Registered Users
    They are easy though.

Great starting position, one of the strongest economies of all factions (top 3 I'd guess) and superb early game units like quarellers.

If you're playing as Grombrindal it becomes very easy, as his extra buffs are extremly strong.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,409Registered Users
    It WAS easy before, but with so many patches since then, their enemies got way stronger. I'd say currently the Dwarfs should be rate as "normal", not easy.
  • GettoGeckoGettoGecko Posts: 801Registered Users
    But every patch changes the balancing, that shouldn't be taken into account.
    They are very save where they start with only orks as early thread, have one of the stronges economy and the strongest tech tree and the best defensive units and artillery.
    They are easy once you know how to deal with the early thread and that doesn't change with balancing which only changes the point where you can steam roll by a couple of turns.
  • Unknown6203Unknown6203 Posts: 930Registered Users
    edited May 25
    Subr1185 said:

So I noticed that Thorgrim and Grombrindal have their campaigns marked "Easy" on the selection screen.
    CA, please change it to "Very Hard", because they are one of the hardest campaigns in the game.
    Or, you know, tone the Greenskins down a little bit early on. Just a little bit, so winning becomes somewhat possible.

Really??, that peaked my interest.

I played Dwarfs 2 times on WH1 and found it too easy, so i never played them on WH2:ME. But that that you said that now i have a reason to play them again.

Also i as TW player, on campaign i always preferred to use lower end units even on late game, than have and uber elite stack that most people use, its too expensive and you can field for the price of an Uber stack you can field almost 2 balanced stacks. Try to use Miners and Warriors (60%) and leave a few spot for Elite units (20%) and artillery(10%).

Even some people say that it got hard, i doubt it just by looking at their position, they have very few enemies their skill tree is huge and they can trade whit those around them many people don't use trade properly. but ill have to see.
  • endurendur Posts: 3,145Registered Users
    Grombrindal is easy. Thorgrim is normal difficulty.
  • Theo91Theo91 Posts: 1,022Registered Users
    Given that most factions have 4 different LL, I wouldn’t mind if they mixed it up more with difficulty. Dwarves have a good balance imo but some factions are only easy mode, eg HE or DE
  • StephinceStephince Posts: 2,433Registered Users
    It should get even tastier with the extra land to the west added in game 3.
  • Firkraag888Firkraag888 Posts: 1,428Registered Users
    All you need is dwarf warriors and the quarrellers. Concentrate all your new buildings on growth and economy so that you can get a second stack asap then its time to expand.

From memory dwarves can get two stacks just from the first home settlement very quickly
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Posts: 7,919Registered Users
    I suggest you take all the difficulty texts for the campaigns with a large grain of salt.
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,893Registered Users

Subr1185 said:

Really??, that peaked my interest.

I played Dwarfs 2 times on WH1 and found it too easy, so i never played them on WH2:ME. But that that you said that now i have a reason to play them again.

Also i as TW player, on campaign i always preferred to use lower end units even on late game, than have and uber elite stack that most people use, its too expensive and you can field for the price of an Uber stack you can field almost 2 balanced stacks. Try to use Miners and Warriors (60%) and leave a few spot for Elite units (20%) and artillery(10%).

Even some people say that it got hard, i doubt it just by looking at their position, they have very few enemies their skill tree is huge and they can trade whit those around them many people don't use trade properly. but ill have to see.
    Last I played it the VC2 wiped out Zhufbar and Barak Varr got curbstomped leaving me surrounded by enemies with Vampiric corruption to deal with. It took me ages to figure it out, I had to confederate Zhufbar and destroy their buildings for resources and even then it was a struggle because Orcs can appear from anywhere. They're weak, but a constant threat especially in number.

It's easier now, but there's still the threat of Orc armies appearing out of nowhere like an RKO. And Grimgor utterly murders Dwarfs. Dwarfs just can't hang with Grimgor.

Mid to late game Dwarfs are very powerful but early game with 1 province they're under perpetual threat.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 7,320Registered Users
    Errrr... what? Yes, Dwarf campaign is indeed "easy".

If you're losing as Dwarfs you're doing something terribly wrong. You should be able to walk all over the local Greenskins, and then rock a very good economy that lets you basically just snowball the rest of the campaign.

The only way Dwarfs are ever "hard" are if you get caught with your army far away or chasing that silly quest or dreams of Gunbad before you have your silver road defenses sorted and suddenly get mobbed by like 4 stacks of Greenskins without time to get back down there. And that's not even any kind of campaign difficulty... that's just personal impatience.

If you want a Dwarf campaign that can actually present some challenge, play Belegar. Now that he's got Ikit and Vampirates to worry about that +50% upkeep actually hurts.
  • RikRiorikRikRiorik Posts: 7,141Registered Users
    edited May 26
    They are not nearly as hard as they were before this last update to the game. Playing on Legendary woth Thorgrim was one of the few times I’ve ever been overrun in a campaign. These days the Greenskins don’t produce nearly as many armies and the von Carsteins and Vampire Counts stay put and don’t head into the Badlands. Also since the AI Greenskin LLs npw struggle to take out minors both Barak Varr and Karak Azul more easily stick around. All in all I’d label it a lot more towards Easy than Hard in comparison to how it was.

If you’re struggling pick Grombrindal and make sure to take his Grimnir Ancestor buff. You can then have a stack full of cheap Miners that can slaughter anything in the early game. This makes it easier to afford to construct buildings and build more armies earlier while Grombrindal and his army is hard as nails.

If you wanted to feel real pain the Belegar’s Clan Angrund campaign was delicious before the Prophet and the Warlock. Greenskins of all kinds (not least of all Skarsnik!) running rampant and roughshod over the Dwarfs in the Badlands and World’s Edge Mountains and then coming for you, Sartosa taking over Tilea and the Border Princes to present you with corruption problems as well as their own attacks and even the Vampire Counts meddling. Now that campaign was absolutely a difficult one.
    Lord of the Undermountain and your friendly neighbourhood giant (Dwarf)
    Favourite campaigns: Clan Angrund, Followers of Nagash and the new Huntsmarshall’s Expedition
  • Tr3izTr3iz Posts: 79Registered Users
    It ain't much easier on the greenskin side as well. Early game tactics is just losing massive numbers of goblins and orc boys trying to break dawis morale hoping you won't lose the 1-2 elite units you get... which is hard. While also facing other GS, empire stacks and more.
  • CrossilCrossil Posts: 5,011Registered Users
    Easy. I literally can't lose even when my army is blocked and an enemy army is rampaging across my lands. It's just next to impossible for them to break your heavy fortifications.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT