Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Dueling Improvements

RO37RO37 Senior MemberPosts: 527Registered Users
Personally, I am quite fond of the Dueling mechanic as a concept, but I feel like the execution could be improved, as there are relatively few circumstances where a much more powerful duelist can even get someone to engage them, especually vs. Legendary AI.

On the flipside, it takes quite a bit of drama out of it when I go into a duel prettymuch knowing almost every time what the outcome is going to be before I commit to it.

So the key to improving the mechanic, in my view, is to introduce uncertainty.

For example, adding a random bonus or penalty to the relative strengths of the respective generals would be good. That way, you might THINK you have the more powerful duelist, but you need to contend with the possibility that your estimate might be wrong.

That random adjustment to predicted ability could be adjusted too. For example, the Cunning stat might determine how accurate the prediction is. And certain traits could improve or detract from that accuracy--bravery might make a character more likely to occasionally vastly overestimate his own ability for example.

Other possibilities might include certain traits that make you lose control of your charavtet. Timid characters might automatically refuse to duel for a time at randkm, or a reckless character might recklessly accept or challege an enemy general to a duel.

Dueling is just too predictable right now, and the player has too much control. Take some of that away, and the AI could be permitted to make more miscalculations too, without feeling like the AI is jut stupid.

Comments

• BoombastekBoombastek Posts: 2,019Registered Users
    Execution, thus would be added with blood dlc.

At second AI on highest difficulties never let you finish enemy dueling general, at Last hit he auto retreat. So first not work on high difficult.

Random bonus, no it stupid
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    The biggest factor which makes me turn down duels is that the enemy can just "run away" and you can't touch him when they run away from duels, which makes me just want to kill them so they can't be immune from attacks after they cower and flee from a duel.

The biggest factor which makes me turn down duels is that the enemy can just "run away" and you can't touch him when they run away from duels, which makes me just want to kill them so they can't be immune from attacks after they cower and flee from a duel.

That why i was fun in duel first 2 or 3 and than watch when my generals win, i can't finish him, it stupid.

Never more dueling, exept Sun Jian faction, meh stupid heroism farm.
  • UglyPolarUglyPolar Posts: 8Registered Users
    I think dueling is too slow. There was a batlle I had routed all enemy units, but had to wait another 3 minutes for dueling to end.
  • DontTouchMyHoHosDontTouchMyHoHos Posts: 233Registered Users
    No randomness, I want to know for certainty my lvl 7 will beat a lvl 4 and at the same time that Lu Bu will crush an equal lvl generic general.
  • RO37RO37 Senior Member Posts: 527Registered Users
    To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that duel RESULTS be subject to randomness, but the "pre-duel prediction" that it provides you.

Even if Champion A beats Sentinel B 7/10 times, if the initial report could say "A is evenly matched to B" at times, or even "B is stronger than A" the inaccuracy of the prediction could cause a human player or an AI to enter into a duel they can't win without realizing it.
    edited June 5

No randomness, I want to know for certainty my lvl 7 will beat a lvl 4 and at the same time that Lu Bu will crush an equal lvl generic general.

Lu Bu start at 7 lvl, but his dueling skill that increase dmg to +400% is locked, and only open on 8 lvl, and reduce enemy evasion to crush Sentinels open on 9 lvl.

You will got maybe after 30 turns maybe later this 8 lvl of Lu Bu.

That joke from CA. Why not made him 7 lvl with all 3 skils, that a stupid.

Lu Bu 7 lvl and Lu Bu 8 lvl two complete different character.
    edited June 5
    RO37 said:

To be clear, I wasn't suggesting that duel RESULTS be subject to randomness, but the "pre-duel prediction" that it provides you.

Even if Champion A beats Sentinel B 7/10 times, if the initial report could say "A is evenly matched to B" at times, or even "B is stronger than A" the inaccuracy of the prediction could cause a human player or an AI to enter into a duel they can't win without realizing it.

That mechanic alredy in game, before duel you see, enemy stronger, weaker or same power lvl.

If enemy stronger, you just need to survive 1.5 minute and you got +100% dmg to your squad, but it doesnt mean you impossible to win, cos other general can help your duel boy with aoe buffs.

Plus ofc battle difficult too include into this calculation. Cos on high battle difficult enemy had huge hidden buffs.

90% of time power of general is depend on his weapon.

Example Guan Yu he had legendary weapon, but cos his weapon had low AP he can duel only vs low armor general. Plus his ability God of War, dmg of this ability is too depend on AP ratio and armor of enemy.

Example gave Guan Yu, Lu Bu weapon and he became real God of War, but for real he only chuff killer.
  • siejsiej Posts: 1Registered Users
    PLEASE PLEASE can someone make a mod where generals dont run away from duel when they are about to be beaten.I have'nt seen one kill animations since the blood dlc released.Please, ill be willing to buy that mod.
    OR if CA is reading this please reduce the chances of generals running aay at the end of every duel.