Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The Art of WARHAMMER – Developing Fantasy Characters

_Mad_D0c__Mad_D0c_ Registered Users Posts: 1,441
https://m.twitch.tv/videos/433982764

Did anyone watched it so far? I have less time atm.

Some new interesting stuff mentioned in the stream? Or are there some highlights, please with time marker.

Comments

• CarognaCarogna Registered Users Posts: 324
    I didn't know about this, thanks for posting!
    Team Skaven
    Team Dark Elves
  • xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Registered Users Posts: 738
    edited June 2019
    Watching it now, I'll post again if there is any new interesting stuff. Also, the character artists on Artstation. Always some great work there.

https://www.artstation.com/jasdhatt
    https://www.artstation.com/dannsw

EDIT-Currently at 12:42-Realism is a key concept of it as if it does not look realistic or you don't understand how it works, it won't work in-game (I'm glad CA does this as the realistic feeling makes it more gritty and immersive). Therefore, doing research where possible is needed (how does a helmet fit, how does a vambrace work, etc). I would extend this to creatures in-game as well as the current Salamander seems to take references from a Komodo Dragon, the Lizardmen have realistic looking scales, etc.

EDIT-At around 15:40-Jagged, dynamic and aggressive is the Dark Elves design. Fits their tactics in terms of being fast and deadly. I'll add that the Dark Eldar in 40k are an excellent example of this as well.

EDIT-At around 18:10-the most challenging piece was the Necrofex Colossus.

EDIT-At around 37:50-you see the images used to help design many of the Lizardmen and general dinos. Interestingly, one of them is an Ostrich (other than a Culchan, I'm not really sure what that could be referring to).

EDIT-a little bit on from the last edit, they have pictures of Lions and Cheetahs too. The muscles on them seems to be the main focus but that is still interesting considering they have muscle and skeleton diagrams of a Velociraptor. The realism aspect I mentioned again sticks out. Any references to real-life creatures or elements is major.

EDIT-Right, that's it. Not a bad watch, some interesting points on the development process.
    Post edited by xBlood_Raven on
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,555
    Nothing new. Informative and really pretty presentation though.
    animacja-sygn-3.gif

• DebaucheeDebauchee Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,407

EDIT-Currently at 12:42-Realism is a key concept of it as if it does not look realistic or you don't understand how it works, it won't work in-game (I'm glad CA does this as the realistic feeling makes it more gritty and immersive). Therefore, doing research where possible is needed (how does a helmet fit, how does a vambrace work, etc). I would extend this to creatures in-game as well as the current Salamander seems to take references from a Komodo Dragon, the Lizardmen have realistic looking scales, etc.

Kudos to CA for sticking to realism - it is a great source of inspiration, even if you are working in a fictional setting.
  • 55JoNNo55JoNNo Registered Users Posts: 1,323
    Props to these guys, the art design is pretty phenomenal when you take a moment to appreciate it properly.
    Change is on the way...

• endurendur Registered Users Posts: 3,921
    The art design is awesome.
  • endurendur Registered Users Posts: 3,921
    Dark Elves, Tomb Kings, and Lizardmen. Really great art they showed in that video.
  • DavidtheDukeDavidtheDuke Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,181
    I think it is a bit underrated sometimes how well CA has captured Warhammer's aesthetic and everything else. I mean I know people talk about how cool it looks and stuff but when I was playing Call of Warhammer back in 2012 and 2013 during Rome 2 I never figured CA was making Warhammer, let alone the quality of representation of Warhammer they achieved and are achieving, Kudos to them.
    i6700k @ 4.0 ghz
    EVGA GTX1080ti FTW3 11GB
    1TB SSD w/ Windows 10 Pro 64bit
  • BiesBies Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,752

Watching it now, I'll post again if there is any new interesting stuff. Also, the character artists on Artstation. Always some great work there.

EDIT-a little bit on from the last edit, they have pictures of Lions and Cheetahs too.

something is coming.... :p

"I shivered at the sight of her - her beauty far beyond that of mortal man. But her soul glowed with an inner darkness that chilled my very core."

Bies said:

EDIT-a little bit on from the last edit, they have pictures of Lions and Cheetahs too.

To be honest, there is very little High Elf units missing so that could be it.

The Skaven are the only race that is really missing content (and that comes from alternative lists).
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 6,113
    Not another sodding chariot, they already have two that no bugger ever uses!
    "Ours is a world of fleeting glory. But it is glory, nonetheless."
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,555
    Bies said:

Lions were mentioned in relation to muscle parts of limbs and their use as reference for Cold Ones.
    animacja-sygn-3.gif

• ErminazErminaz Senior Member Las Vegas, Nevada, USARegistered Users Posts: 5,710
    Arsenic said:

Not another sodding chariot, they already have two that no bugger ever uses!

I use chariots in some armies. I find them fun to mix things up instead of the same types of armies all the time, especially if I confederate Tiranoc.
    Tacitus Quotes:
    Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
    They plunder, they slaughter, and they steal: this they falsely name Empire, and where they make a wasteland, they call it peace.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

I found Rome a city of filth covered marble and left it a pile of rubble. - Me
  • Lord_DistamorfinLord_Distamorfin Registered Users Posts: 1,250

Bies said:

The Skaven are the only race that is really missing content (and that comes from alternative lists).
    There are plenty of races missing content though. Even the Tomb Kings are missing a couple of things. I think the only race that is actually 100% complete is Bretonnia, and even then they could always pull another character or two from the lore.

Bies said:

There are plenty of races missing content though. Even the Tomb Kings are missing a couple of things. I think the only race that is actually 100% complete is Bretonnia, and even then they could always pull another character or two from the lore.
    I know there are races missing content (you're right that Bretonnia is the only 100% complete but even they can get additional content from the lore) but in terms of Game 2 races, Skaven have the most (there is a Clan Moulder, Clan Eshin and Clan Pestilens list that is from the TT-I will complete that one soon).

The key difference is that most races have the content they need (2-4 missing units for some of them). Only a few have key missing units (Beastmen, Wood Elves only have two LLs, etc). The High Elves, Dark Elves and Lizardmen are missing very little to be honest so I'm very interested in what CA implement for these Lord Packs.

Just to say, I want every race to be complete by the end of trilogy as this series can offer so much great content.