Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War: THREE KINGDOMS - Three Essential Battle Tactics

CA_EllaCA_Ella Posts: 319Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team
edited June 20 in General Discussion

The greatest tacticians know that there’s always more to learn, so we’ve brought you three essential tips for THREE KINGDOMS battles:

Take a look and find out if there’s anything you don’t know – and leave your best battle tips in the comments below.
Post edited by Grace_CA on

Comments

• bisue89bisue89 Posts: 4Registered Users
  • BlaeysBlaeys Junior Member Posts: 789Registered Users
    edited June 5
    First - amazing game. The new changes to how the game feels and plays just work. There is no other way to say it.

That said, your video brings up a point that is worth discussing - strategists.

Right now, Strategists are pretty much a "must have" for any army you build. They are essential because of trebuchets, flaming projectiles, formations and supply lines.

The problem is that some of your other character types suffer as a result. While they still have their uses, vanguards, commanders and sentinels feel very lackluster - offering little that is unique or critical to gameplay.

Im not saying strategists need to be nerfed - just that we need more compelling reasons to bring the others. Maybe give each type a critical unique unit type similar to how strategist bring trebs (shock cav require a vanguard, glaives require a commander, etc) or give some of the more powerful formations to other units (sentinels are the only ones that can bring turtle or spear wall, etc).

The others aren't useless - but right now the pure utility of the strategist takes a lot of the decision making fun out of the army building process. Give us a reason to diversify our armies and play around with new things without completely crippling our army's capabilities.

Also - you misspelled the word "Infantry" in your video.
  • BoombastekBoombastek Posts: 2,026Registered Users
    So in this video were said turtle formation cool and gaving 500% charge resistance, and it cool.

Let look on Veteran, yellow Turban general.

He had aoe passive ability 1900% charge resistance. And what it gonna be?

Too low info
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,591Registered Users
    That's a lovely video, nice use of characters facial expressions, and the cavalry charges are looking great, because there is no matched combat between regular units in Total War: Three Kingdoms. :)
  • johncagejohncage Posts: 246Registered Users
    less femoids more history
  • YaafmYaafm Posts: 1,275Registered Users
    Blaeys said:

First - amazing game. The new changes to how the game feels and plays just work. There is no other way to say it.

That said, your video brings up a point that is worth discussing - strategists.

Right now, Strategists are pretty much a "must have" for any army you build. They are essential because of trebuchets, flaming projectiles, formations and supply lines.

The problem is that some of your other character types suffer as a result. While they still have their uses, vanguards, commanders and sentinels feel very lackluster - offering little that is unique or critical to gameplay.

Im not saying strategists need to be nerfed - just that we need more compelling reasons to bring the others. Maybe give each type a critical unique unit type similar to how strategist bring trebs (shock cav require a vanguard, glaives require a commander, etc) or give some of the more powerful formations to other units (sentinels are the only ones that can bring turtle or spear wall, etc).

The others aren't useless - but right now the pure utility of the strategist takes a lot of the decision making fun out of the army building process. Give us a reason to diversify our armies and play around with new things without completely crippling our army's capabilities.

Also - you misspelled the word "Infantry" in your video.

Sentinals and Champions feel the most lackluster. I barely use them and most of my armies are Commanders, Strategists and Vanguards....Im not sure why you find Commanders and Vanguards weak, they are amazing and I do not really get armies without at least one of those. Commanders buffs are especially amazing for the army and the moral they bring to their retinue is great for frontline.

But at least we both seem to agree Sentinals do not do much. Maybe let them have trebs also?
  • WaffenosWaffenos Posts: 36Registered Users
    Nah i don t using strategists ... only when i start playing... After i get idea how its works i am going on duelants and pushers mode just to combine the best stats and buffs and focus to kill enemy generals. Army just for cinematic fight. And for tauunt enemy meele.
  • mahboi1mahboi1 Member Posts: 771Registered Users
    This video perfectly showcased how over-inflated strategists' value is. The classes really need to be re balanced, commanders especially.
    Sigmar wills it!
  • MortenKEMortenKE Posts: 376Registered Users
    I love my combo of sentinel, champion and strategist. Have 2 trebs, 4 range, 6 spearmen and 6 meele. The enemy is forced to come to me with my trebs and i hold the line
  • EuriskaEuriska Junior Member Posts: 105Registered Users
    edited June 8
    I think all the general types have something to offer. With that said I like having strategists in every army.

Build #1

Champion: Spear heavy retinue with turtle formations
    Strategist: High end archers with flaming arrows for those annoying defensive towers
    Vanguard: Heavy cavalry retinue

Strategy: Draw enemy fire on a frontline of turtled spear troops; kill enemy infantry/cavalry with my amazing missle troops before they make contact with the spears; sweep around the flanks with my cavalry and overwhelm the archers. Maybe throw in a duel or two.

Build #2

Commander: Cavalry and a couple militia archers
    Strategist: (See build #1)
    Sentinel: Full retinue of the heaviest infantry I can afford and/or get

Strategy: Attack and kill enemy missles with my missles. My cavalry engages enemy cavalry FIRST, then sweep into the flanks of enemy infantry. In the meantime I launch all out assault with my infantry.

It doesn't always work.

**But I guess the point is that I can find a good combo of whatever general types I have access to. It changes the tactics of course. But I definitely try and build my armies around a good strategist. Maybe in peacetime have said strategist adminstrate and garrison a settlement with his missle troops. I try to avoid generals that hate eachother, so that governs who is in my army as well.

Does anyone ever double up on a general type? Like two champions and a strategist?

• SC_ElectricSC_Electric Posts: 5Registered Users
    I use all general types for armies, usually I have been hiring heroes based on how loyal they are and how they sync with my other heroes, so i have had 2x vanguard or 2x champions in same army but never 2x of commander, sentinal or strategist

On normal difficulty i found formations didn't play a big role except if you move your cavalry into spear type troops, but when I start higher difficulties it is gonna be a must

talent/skill reach is a must for army leader. +25% campaign movement helps so much chasing or engaging enemy armies.

Bonus to ambush something that really makes a huge difference also

I also like ignore forest penalties and fatigue resistance for cavalry, helps flanking manouvers

Changes I would like to see are lvl 5+ heroes unlocking formations for their specific unit affinity. That would help not requiring so many strategists, and maybe a bonus to unit experience for their specific unit affinity.
  • sterriussterrius Junior Member Posts: 209Registered Users
    edited June 14
    Resume;

Field Armies -> Strategist +2 other champions. Only bad combination is Commander + Vanguard. (too much cav)
    Everything else works and synergizes.

Garrisons (1 retinue only that move beetween citys to reinforce them) -> Champions, Sentinels or Vanguards. (As they can beat other heroes alone or/and have unique cheap units to help, Strategists and commanders are not good to hold on their own).

Adms -> Champions, and COmmanders with some Sentinels/Strategists.

The strong / weak points i found after playing a while.

Champion-
    Champion Units -> Spear lv6 is what makes this class shine. Very useful and Very strong even lategame and clearly superior to most meele units you find in the game.

Champions Skills -> Fatigue resisteance to Retinue + Armor to heavy spears + Scare to himself +5% Replenishment to whole army means he have a lot to add making the heavy spears above really dangerous to fight.

Champion Adm Skills -> +5 food + 20% peasant income makes them wonderful to adm big citys.

Commander

Units -> Worst selection ever. Just 1 new cavalary that is not even a huge upgrade compared to Militia. You can totally live without them.

Skills -> Wonderful skills but lack units to make up for it until lategame as tech unlock some more. So leave him on ADM position until you can have something else outside cav and milita sword/spear unit.

Adm Skills -> Hands down the best administrator alongside champions. Also some of the best Heir´s and prime ministers due to his Public order and satisfaction bonus.

Sentinel

Units -> Best shielded Sword unit unlocked at lv1. Outside of that have nothing to add but at least you can spam 6 of those and call it a day.

Skills -> Wonderful skills good for units AND duels. Can Also have Night battles and Fire arrows and give +5 meele evasion.

Adm -> Best adm for industrial citys, second/third best for other types due to Public order bonus.

Vanguard

Units -> Have 2 new cavs that lose to the Universal Raider Militar. Again. Why? The upkeep savings are not worth it meaning it useless choices.

Skills -> Best offensive battle skills in the game. God buffs for cav, +5% replenishment, Zeal, etc. Its hand down the best leader of a army you can have. But it does need a champion or sentinel to acompanny him otherwise the core of the army is going to suffer.

Adm skills -> Worst adm hands down. Either use it on the field or forget him in the court.

Strategist

Units -> Best choices hands down. Trebuchet, Crossbows and Heavy Crossbows means you don´t even have the urge to unlock better archers for a long time. Trebuchet alone makes him a must have as those speed up sieges.

Skills -> Night battles, Flame Trebuchet, +25% dmg, battle skills that synergizes well with other champions make him hands down a Must have for offensive armys.

Adm Skills -> Best for commerce citys.