Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

3 Kingdoms Turn Times and Warhammer 3

PTreePTree Posts: 236Registered Users
So... 3 kingdoms turn times are rapid! Hooray!

Will we see whatever they have implemented in 3k, applied to WH3?

Does anyone know or understand how this was achieved?

Cheers!

Comments

• SnotfaceSnotface Member Posts: 752Registered Users
    A smaller map & number of factions?
    Wyvern's is good fer one thing, eatin' smashin' smellin' and flyin.'
  • GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 2,441Registered Users
    Well, how do they compare to Vortex, which has pretty quick turn times? I am not sure it's fair to compare them to ME, I doubt 3K has, what, more than 100, 150, more? Factions to chug through.

Haven't got 3K though, so perhaps they have done something - a possibility is that they have fully integrated the "Laboritory" tech, which takes better advantage od multiple cores, which might have that effect.
  • RikisRikis Posts: 962Registered Users
    Dont forget the lack of agents to play around. Only actual armies are on the map in 3K.

If we compare apples to "apples", the vortex map is a fairer comparison and I find the turn times comparable.
  • dreagondreagon Senior Member Posts: 1,769Registered Users
    The turn times in 3K are faster than in Vortex but there are also less factions. Large parts of the map are controlled by Han or by nobody at all. There are also no agents and the amount of armies are also limited.
    "The dog is a peasant and the cat is a gentleman." H.P. Lovecraft
  • PatriksevePatrikseve Member Posts: 1,533Registered Users
    I dont really want to loose factions honestly, one of the attractions of the mega campaign is the scale.

• GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 2,441Registered Users

I dont really want to loose factions honestly, one of the attractions of the mega campaign is the scale.

This, tbh I have a second monitor which I usually have a tv show or something running on, so the wait times don't bother me personally.

That said, one of the best improvements they could make transitioning to game 3 is to integrate the "Lab" tech, even if they don't scale battles up the performance increase alone is worth it - it might be under-the-hood stuff but it would be great, and since end turn is heavily CPU based to my knowledge it might also do wonders for end turns in ME 2.0, which would alone justify its inclusion.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Posts: 4,432Registered Users
    Also strip Game3 of Denuvo. Meaningful boost is to be gained from it.
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

• ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 6,272Registered Users
    Strip all the games of denuvo...

Ain't anti-piracy software alive that actually deters pirates... it just **** off customers.
  • SaitohSaitoh Posts: 258Registered Users
    Goatforce said:

Well, how do they compare to Vortex, which has pretty quick turn times? I am not sure it's fair to compare them to ME, I doubt 3K has, what, more than 100, 150, more? Factions to chug through.

Haven't got 3K though, so perhaps they have done something - a possibility is that they have fully integrated the "Laboritory" tech, which takes better advantage od multiple cores, which might have that effect.

For me vortex takes about 40 seconds, ME 2 minutes. 3K takes about 15 seconds.
  • LoffenmeisterLoffenmeister Posts: 53Registered Users
    I think 3k has done a great job as far as the campain map excperience go but they are on completly diffrent playing fields... In ME we have what? 120 factions and 300 or so settlements and if we speculate WH3 ME will have what then? 400-500 settlements and 180-200 races, while in 3k we have what? 20 factions and 50 settlements... I think CA will work on improving turn times but i dont excpect it to come close to 3k speed.
  • PTreePTree Posts: 236Registered Users
    Head palms own forehead! Of course, 3k has far fewer factions and provinces...

Oh well, got myself a little excited for nothing :)
  • GwydionGwydion Senior Member Posts: 2,145Registered Users
    stop complaining about gd turn times. seriously. The game is trying to encompass the ENTIRE warhammer world... or at least enough of it to get each races homeland + army book in and then some... thats AWESOME I don't give a rats ass about turn times.... even if they were double the turn times.... I wish they would get the entire golbe of the warhammer world like empire.... that would be the ****.
    PLEASE CA!!! Chaos Warriors need a faction that is not horde only by the time the trilogy is finished! We beg of you!

Just Realized this topic has been viewed more, the topic of " Limiting Race Expansion/ Colonization Expansion" alone than more than half of the stickied things at the top of the forum... I hope you are too CA and I mean that in a positive way from a huge fan!

Please improve sieges! Add racial flavor and ACTUALLY make them "deeper rather than wide" copy and paste with different art needs to go!
  • RiddlebickRiddlebick Posts: 235Registered Users
    Some don't care about long Turn times, I get it.

But I actually care.

I love the early game but just moving an army and then wait that long just to move again and wait again just doesn't keep my motivation. Mods that give you more to do during your turn are great so it's not 30% turn - 70% end turn time.

Just imagine how long it will take if the map gets even larger with an extension to the east. For me atleast, unplayable.
    I will stick to the old world / vortex-version.

Maybe I am just inpatient. Okay. But I rather play a smaler world than wait far more than 50% of playtime.
    :#
  • SteppelordSteppelord Junior Member Posts: 2,019Registered Users

Some don't care about long Turn times, I get it.

But I actually care.

I love the early game but just moving an army and then wait that long just to move again and wait again just doesn't keep my motivation. Mods that give you more to do during your turn are great so it's not 30% turn - 70% end turn time.

Just imagine how long it will take if the map gets even larger with an extension to the east. For me atleast, unplayable.
    I will stick to the old world / vortex-version.

Maybe I am just inpatient. Okay. But I rather play a smaler world than wait far more than 50% of playtime.

Yeah that's fine. You'll have game 3 to play around with. People who don't mind turn times will play the immortal empires, or whatever it'll be called.
  • uriakuriak Posts: 3,390Registered Users
    Gwydion said:

stop complaining about gd turn times. seriously. The game is trying to encompass the ENTIRE warhammer world... or at least enough of it to get each races homeland + army book in and then some... thats AWESOME I don't give a rats ass about turn times.... even if they were double the turn times.... I wish they would get the entire golbe of the warhammer world like empire.... that would be the ****.

Yes and no. I've got bored super quikly of any campaign started in ME, even for those races I really didn't complete a campaign with in TWW1. Early turn with little to do and lots of factions are horrid so the world could encopass cathay and Ind that wouldn't bother, in the current state of things.
  • ErminazErminaz Senior Member Las Vegas, Nevada, USAPosts: 5,559Registered Users
    Turn times never really bothered me as I keep books by my computer. I get my total war fix and reading done at the same time. I'm sure the game 3, noncombined map will have about the same turn times as the vortex campaign while the mortal empires equivalent will be long than the current with the new areas and factions.
    Tacitus Quotes:
    Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
    They plunder, they slaughter, and they steal: this they falsely name Empire, and where they make a wasteland, they call it peace.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

I found Rome a city of filth covered marble and left it a pile of rubble. - Me
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Posts: 528Registered Users

I think 3k has done a great job as far as the campain map excperience go but they are on completly diffrent playing fields... In ME we have what? 120 factions and 300 or so settlements and if we speculate WH3 ME will have what then? 400-500 settlements and 180-200 races, while in 3k we have what? 20 factions and 50 settlements... I think CA will work on improving turn times but i dont excpect it to come close to 3k speed.

theres around 30 factions at the start, although some die quickly. There are around 200 settlements I believe, not sure but you need to hold 95 to win the campaign.
  • LoffenmeisterLoffenmeister Posts: 53Registered Users
    Think i meant provinces and just misprounounced it.
  • Rolf1989Rolf1989 Posts: 266Registered Users
    Erminaz said:

Turn times never really bothered me as I keep books by my computer. I get my total war fix and reading done at the same time. I'm sure the game 3, noncombined map will have about the same turn times as the vortex campaign while the mortal empires equivalent will be long than the current with the new areas and factions.

I like the idea. I try to be a responsible adult and listen too debates or documentaries, as unfortunately my co-workers don't care about Warhammer Fantasy Battles.
    I would like to do push-ups or something, but unfortunately it's not just turn times. The wait gets interrupted repeatedly by factions wanting to engage in Diplomacy, often times again and again.
    I can handle the wait, but I think they should let you skip offers so you reliably can go to the toilet and check on your food without coming back to Kehmri asking for a NAP for the 18. time.
  • sieahsieah Posts: 398Registered Users
    ^Decline Diplomacy mod for you friend.
  • TennisgolfbollTennisgolfboll Posts: 7,071Registered Users
    sieah said:

^Decline Diplomacy mod for you friend.

Cant play without it
    Read all my replies as if we are having a pint and a good old time. I will always read your reply like that.
  • SagrandaSagranda Posts: 1,504Registered Users
    Well, one can occupy oneself with books, tv/movies/whatever, push-ups or world domination in the meantime, it's what I did too, but I don't think that it's a particular good point when it comes to turn times.

I shouldn't have to rely on "3rd party stuff" from outside the game to make it more enjoyable.
    Not to mention that there are times when I just want to play and have no interest in reading or watching a movie or whatever.
    "Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
  • RomeoRejectRomeoReject Posts: 516Registered Users

What actual numbers to we have to back that up? Because I can't imagine for the life of me that the occasional "phone home" check is going to make any appreciable difference to load times. And the overwhelming majority of games that have dropped Denuvo after launch haven't seen any appreciable gains from it.
  • SagrandaSagranda Posts: 1,504Registered Users

What actual numbers to we have to back that up? Because I can't imagine for the life of me that the occasional "phone home" check is going to make any appreciable difference to load times. And the overwhelming majority of games that have dropped Denuvo after launch haven't seen any appreciable gains from it.
    It's not just an "occasional phone home check".
    Denuvo constantly checks the integrity of the game in a VM environment. It's the reason why the .exe from games that had Denuvo removed shrank by a minimum of 400mb.
    We don't know how much of a performance impact Denuvo has on the WH series, but every single bit of boost can help.
    Not to mention that there have been plenty of reports of people who weren't able to play offline until they had an opportunity to log in online again, thanks to Denuvo.
    "Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
  • RomeoRejectRomeoReject Posts: 516Registered Users
    Sagranda said:

It's not just an "occasional phone home check".
    Denuvo constantly checks the integrity of the game in a VM environment. It's the reason why the .exe from games that had Denuvo removed shrank by a minimum of 400mb.
    We don't know how much of a performance impact Denuvo has on the WH series, but every single bit of boost can help.
    Not to mention that there have been plenty of reports of people who weren't able to play offline until they had an opportunity to log in online again, thanks to Denuvo.
    It definitely, definitely isn't constantly checking, I can tell you that much.
    Every bit can help, but I'm not sure worrying about 0.1% is a smart trade on Sega's part. If we were talking 10% or something, sure, different story.
    I'd question those people that couldn't play offline, given that I did exactly that for the first two months of me moving in to my apartment, and Denuvo didn't give a damn (Nor did Steam, while we're talking DRM).