Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Truly bad items to fix

2»

Comments

• another505another505 Posts: 765Registered Users

A dumb question but those item that decrease enemy recharge rate. Can i use it on any enemy units or has to be caster

It depends on the item.

Scroll of Hoeth, Skull of Katam, Cube of Darkness or Scroll of Leeching work on ANY enemy unit.

For example let's say you use Scroll of Hoeth on Skeletons or Zombies. It still reduces the winds of magic regeneration of enemy Vampire lords and heroes to exactly 0.

Slann Gold only works on spellcasters, simply because it's impossible to target other units.
    ohh they aree not so bad then.
  • sandercohensandercohen Posts: 67Registered Users
    A lot of the potions feel unsubstantial. A single-use, one time effect for a price. I remember in TWW1 some potions used to provide healing. Empire for instance had the General of the Empire with a healing potion that was pretty much an autopick in any matchup. Now, most potions just aren't worth the price.

Then there is the issue of allocation. I have no idea why a Tomb Banshee would carry and drink potions. It makes no sense to me. Yet in MP you can equip her with one.
  • OrkLadsOrkLads Posts: 836Registered Users

A lot of the potions feel unsubstantial. A single-use, one time effect for a price. I remember in TWW1 some potions used to provide healing. Empire for instance had the General of the Empire with a healing potion that was pretty much an autopick in any matchup. Now, most potions just aren't worth the price.

Then there is the issue of allocation. I have no idea why a Tomb Banshee would carry and drink potions. It makes no sense to me. Yet in MP you can equip her with one.

Good point, but some of them can be very useful. For instance, the potion of foolhardiness can be useful on a Greenskins lord/hero because there are times where you can get a solid advantage from them not routing at that time. This is one of the reasons the Crown of Command is so useful on the Goblin Great Shaman on wolf, if you dive him with a dragon and land 1 hit there is a good chance he will terror rout. Being able to stop that on command can be very useful. (ditto with the potion on the night goblin warboss)/
  • rymeintrinsecarymeintrinseca Posts: 403Registered Users
    edited June 7
    Some bad ones IMO:

* Pigeon plucker pedant (Gunnery Wight) - 70 pts for -5 MA on flying units within 40m of a ground pounder. Tiny buff anyway and so restricted in application.
    * Jagged dagger (bray-shaman) - 69 pts for increased power reserves/recharge when in combat, on a unit that's either cycle charging a chariot or keeping away from combat entirely. Also it has cooldown unlike the Sword of Unholy Power (which is on a character you want in combat).
    * Potion of speed (Werekin and others) - 64 pts is a lot for 18-24% one time buff to vigour, speed, accel, charge speed (not charge bonus).
    * Bound fiery convocation (Teclis) - 180 pts for 120 sec cooldown spell with only 2 uses, which the enemy will almost certainly dodge. And even if they're AFK damage is weak. (Had to include even though technically not an item.)

That said, most of these are cheap enough that they could conceivably be used as fillers for leftover gold, even if not optimally. Conversely fiery convocation is expensive but hard to adjust without moving Teclis into OP territory.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 18,453Registered Users
    eumaies said:

OrkLads said:

Warrior Bane on the Waystalker is a top contender here.

-6% Weapon Damage in a 40m AOE.

oof nice one. I'll add it.

I think CA has a weird blind spot when it comes to anything % based.

That's also why the LoM lore attribute is absolutely laughable and only supports troops that already have sizable AP. I think they need to consider more flat bonuses.

• eumaieseumaies Senior Member Posts: 3,579Registered Users

Some bad ones IMO:

* Pigeon plucker pedant (Gunnery Wight) - 70 pts for -5 MA on flying units within 40m of a ground pounder. Tiny buff anyway and so restricted in application.
    * Jagged dagger (bray-shaman) - 69 pts for increased power reserves/recharge when in combat, on a unit that's either cycle charging a chariot or keeping away from combat entirely. Also it has cooldown unlike the Sword of Unholy Power (which is on a character you want in combat).
    * Potion of speed (Werekin and others) - 64 pts is a lot for 18-24% one time buff to vigour, speed, accel, charge speed (not charge bonus).
    * Bound fiery convocation (Teclis) - 180 pts for 120 sec cooldown spell with only 2 uses, which the enemy will almost certainly dodge. And even if they're AFK damage is weak. (Had to include even though technically not an item.)

That said, most of these are cheap enough that they could conceivably be used as fillers for leftover gold, even if not optimally. Conversely fiery convocation is expensive but hard to adjust without moving Teclis into OP territory.

Good points. Pigeon plucker feels almost like a never-take.

I think jagged dagger and potion of speed, while not great, are at least usable. I'll add the others.
  • MTechMTech Posts: 307Registered Users
    Doesn't Gatekeepers belt also grant unbreakable or something else in campaign?
    200pts for 33% damage resist when below 20% health and a unbreakable runelord can't say i would not atleast try that.

But iam not sure if it does, haven't played campaign for a while and also at "work" right now.

Also what about ring of thori?
    In my experience the dmg it does is nowhere near 150-160pts worth even without the master engineer himself beeing not worth his price tag.
  • OrkLadsOrkLads Posts: 836Registered Users
    MTech said:

200pts for 33% damage resist when below 20% health and a unbreakable runelord can't say i would not atleast try that.

But iam not sure if it does, haven't played campaign for a while and also at "work" right now.

In my experience the dmg it does is nowhere near 150-160pts worth even without the master engineer himself beeing not worth his price tag.

Ring of Thori is excellent. Devastating damage to death runners, nasty skulkers, witch elves, sisters of slaughter, sigmar sons, etc.
  • eumaieseumaies Senior Member Posts: 3,579Registered Users
    OrkLads said:

MTech said:

Ring of Thori is excellent. Devastating damage to death runners, nasty skulkers, witch elves, sisters of slaughter, sigmar sons, etc.
    Yeah I disagree. Old thori was amazing in wh1 but the damage is so low now... I mean you’re right vs elite units it can do ok if you get all three shots off over the game, but you often can’t, especially when you just spent 900 on an engineer.

Anyway it’s usable so didn’t make the list but I don’t find it useful.