Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

This is Why I Stopped Playing Three Kingdoms..

GuTaiYPGuTaiYP Posts: 22Registered Users
A loyal Total War player since the 16 years around, but.. I just dunno how the devs came out with such a wierd game. Honestly, this is the most confusing and boring Total War game ever for me:

- Unit rosters are but a few
- Name, places, all the content in general.. looks unfimiliar and there is nothing for a westerner to identify himself with.
- After reaching turn 50 and so every faction rushes for coalitions and you suddenly start getting 10 or so messages telling that x has declared war on y, z did the same.. A total chaos in short and you begin loosing the control on the game from that moment on..
- The content regarding factions in the game are clearly and deliberately crippled heavily for the sake of upcoming DLCs / Chapters, and the milking process will follow of course!
- After turn 80~ around the game absolutely starts repeating itself.
- Do check the other positive comments in Steam page, most of them are left by Chinese players.

+ Romance mode.. Something new are always welcomed.
+ The game interestingly doesn't make you cancer with infinite laoding screens and turns just how TW: WH2 does.
+ Diplomacy seems more realistic than ever.

In a nut shell,
I'm personally regret of purchasing this game. Yes, there are a few good improvements, I'll give them that. But this one obviously is an order-based game which targeting Chinese market. Just didn't like it and probably not going to give it a second try after 30 boring hours..

Comments

• Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    edited June 10
    Don't care about any previous total war games, I'm here for three kingdoms. While this game isn't the best when it comes to historical accuracy and emphasizing the importance of many legendary generals, the diplomacy is very nice and the AI is much smarter than what people think and would expect. Remember that this game is based on the romance of the three kingdoms in both its records and the novels, if you know very little of the background and setting yeah I can''t imagine that this game would be very enjoyable. Would someone who knows nothing about Roman history enjoy a game based on that time period?
  • yukishiro1yukishiro1 Member Posts: 444Registered Users
    If you're a "westerner" uninterested in names and places that look unfamiliar to you...why did you buy this game?
  • tadakatsutadakatsu Junior Member Posts: 389Registered Users
    edited June 10
    first off you must have no idea how many western fans there are of rotk and the global dynasty warriors series. im a western player and was already very familiar with the three kingdoms era and many of the people and places due to playing dynasty warriors. thats like saying shogun 2 was only for the japanese market when in reality it wasnt. the first ever total war game was in japan too also if three kingdoms was just for the Chinese market then it would not have made more money and have the most concurrent players of any total war game ever made
  • iriyasiriyas Posts: 59Registered Users
    Except for the unit roster all the other things you mentioned are present in every other TW game. and ye si ahve played since the original Shogun game.

as an easterner i never found anything interesting about the western factions and their religions but still enjoyed MTW.

the fact that the unit soter is a little thin is made up of all the other added new elements in the game., frankly its matter of opinion and i prefer a simplified unit roster. chins is one country so the units are pretty much the same unlike MTW which has to represent many cultures.
  • GelstonGelston Senior Member Posts: 1,583Registered Users
    I've never been interested in any Asian culture or history. China, Japan, whatever. I love TW games though. Shogun got me interested in Japan. It has me interested in China right now. I like the changes. Instead of just conquring Europe all the time.
  • tadakatsutadakatsu Junior Member Posts: 389Registered Users
    the unit roster is bigger than what shogun 2 had also shogun 2 had 0 factions with a 100% unique roster while yellow turbans for example are completely different from the rest of the factions in the game. and if you look at all the units when you have them all unlocked there are quite a few units it is nowhere near as thin as you think
  • nodulousnodulous Senior Member Posts: 916Registered Users
    Yeah, I'm a bit ashamed to admit I've been struggling with the numerous small faction names. More than once I've thought a faction I was at war with was the other side of the map only realising they were neighbours when they took a town from me.

So I tightened up my intelligence analysis and research dept. Made certain I verified all reports of WMD's and Sun Ce eventually became sole Emperor.

50 turns into Liu Bei and no major disasters yet. Still, plenty of time for that I suppose.
  • takilung31takilung31 Posts: 1,318Registered Users
    edited June 10
    3K is all about its characters and history

It seems you jump into 3K without knowing a thing about its period, history

You have to be interested in Chinese history first, try to watch Oversimplified's and some 3K videos

The variety will come when they added Nanman DLC, Xiongnu / Xianbei Barbarian DLC, Korean DLC etc

• SchusselSchussel Posts: 743Registered Users
    GuTaiYP said:

A loyal Total War player since the 16 years around, but.. I just dunno how the devs came out with such a wierd game. Honestly, this is the most confusing and boring Total War game ever for me:

- Name, places, all the content in general.. looks unfimiliar and there is nothing for a westerner to identify himself with.
    - After reaching turn 50 and so every faction rushes for coalitions and you suddenly start getting 10 or so messages telling that x has declared war on y, z did the same.. A total chaos in short and you begin loosing the control on the game from that moment on..
    - The content regarding factions in the game are clearly and deliberately crippled heavily for the sake of upcoming DLCs / Chapters, and the milking process will follow of course!
    - Do check the other positive comments in Steam page, most of them are left by Chinese players.

+ The game interestingly doesn't make you cancer with infinite laoding screens and turns just how TW: WH2 does.

In a nut shell,
    I'm personally regret of purchasing this game. Yes, there are a few good improvements, I'll give them that. But this one obviously is an order-based game which targeting Chinese market. Just didn't like it and probably not going to give it a second try after 30 boring hours..

Unit Roster
    More than in Shogun 1 and 2

Unfamiliar Content
    Hm Shogun was the First TW Game and thats also a Country most westerners can't identify themselfs with besides Karate, Ninja, Samurais and all the Electronics, but for China you got similar like Kung Fu, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan etc.

Diplomacy
    Yes the Diplomacy Information with who declared war against who is really to much, all information shoulod be put into one popup window for wars have nothing to do with you and one window for everything concerning you. I missed once that someone declared war against me because of around 20 diplomacy info windows at the start of one turn.

Honestly Total War is repeating Itself since Shogun 1
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,280Registered Users
    GuTaiYP said:

In a nut shell,

You're probably 500 years too late. If only your ancestors have no interest in Asia there're probably no colonization and the world today will probably be a better place 😁

In any case, while I am from Asia, Three Kingdoms and China is as foreign to me as ancient Rome and medieval Europe. But my ignorance was never a handicapped and have never stopped me feom enjoying all Total War games, even Warhammer. While they never teach me actual history, they actually have given me cause to actually learn about history and cultures other than my own.
  • Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Posts: 1,996Registered Users
    Waaaaow... I cannot believe what I'm seeing... mr "Westerner" if this game was all about Europe, people from the Far East would still play it if it interested them... but they wouldn't complain about not knowing about the names... they'd actually Do Some Research and learn about the period.

Not to sound too terrible but really man... step outside of your swamp and experience the greater world... China is one of the most magnificent lands in the entire world and it's history (in my opinion) is worth a thousand times more than that of Europe... they have endured countless wars, kingdoms, civil wars and natural disasters, as well as man-made disasters... yet they still come back, stronger than before... but the Dragon never reaches for more than it needs.

As a Mongolian born and raised in the "West". I find my self completely in love with Chinese culture and history... it is truly magnificent and beautiful. Both the Middle East and the Far East have the most exotic, wonderful and astonishing histories, architecture and languages in the world and I still don't understand why companies rarely ever venture over there.
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • RocketlegionRocketlegion Member Posts: 621Registered Users
    Westerner here, I love this setting more than the Medieval setting.
  • AxlswhkAxlswhk Posts: 216Registered Users
    edited June 10
    Strange that people choose to buy the game fully aware of the era backdrop and then throw in a bitch fit after realising what was promoted is exactly what you see when the game release
  • RobG4RobG4 Posts: 82Registered Users
    I've played 1000's of hours of every TW game made. I love this one. Kudos CA!

At first I was put off a little by the names. I couldn't tell one general or faction from another honestly. But that was due to my own ignorance and unfamiliarity and I'm working hard to fix it.

I'm a Western history buff and am sadly ignorant of the history of China. This game is lighting a fire under me to learn more.
  • AtYourLeisureAtYourLeisure Posts: 60Registered Users
    GuTaiYP said:

In a nut shell,

You say you have been playing TW for years and then criticize the game for the same **** that previous games have had for years, excluding the "unfamiliar" part, which is just ignorance on your part. I'm a westerner and I don't have an issue with this.

Again, I left a positive review and I am a westerner who is not of Asian descent. More ignorance on your part. The game is about Chinese history, of course there is a large number of Chinese reviews. Next you'll tell us water is wet. Get real.
  • UrsokUrsok Posts: 13Registered Users
    GuTaiYP said:

- Name, places, all the content in general.. looks unfamiliar and there is nothing for a westerner to identify himself with.

bruh I'm from Europe but I still love to go to Japan / China / America and learn the culture, history, and research about novels and heroes. The Chinese nation is great, they developed the economy, trade, crossbows and many more things that west actually borrowed. Learn about generals like Cao Cao if you wanna identify yourself with strategy, diplomacy mind games and heavy cavalry charge or Dong Zhuo if you are about power and intimidation. Kong Rong as an economist or as a communist aka PEOPLE WILL RISE YELLOW SKY. Outlaws if you wanna be a Robbin Hood.

There are far more problems with 3K than you listed. For example to balance generals.
  • GuTaiYPGuTaiYP Posts: 22Registered Users
    edited June 10
    Hehe, I welcome all the comments, regardless. Though, didn't know soo many Chinese guys with Western characteristics are lurking here :) No offence -sincerely.

What I notice from most of the comments here that people -unfortunately- has missed some certain objections that I raised, and got stuck with the 'Westerner' part only. To those guys, I could only recommend to reread my first comment with some more care.

@Warlord_Lu_Bu

Dear pal, what I can understand from the word choice of yours, is, that you seem to have created an image of Chinese culture for yourself thats based on some celebrating version of the dramatised literary pieces rather than the actual facts. As a Westerner who had many Chinese friends in actual China -not in a neighbouring country- during several years I can vouch you that most of the Chinese poeple doesn't speak of their history -regarding mentioned eras especially- as the way as you do. I don't know, but, from your word choicing again, calling both ME and FE 'exotic' seems like quite Western to me. You could do some research about colonial / post colonial theories and rethink about both the 'glorifying' image of Chinese culture of yours and the identity of yourself that you have built -probably you are still on the process- / building over time.

Thanks.
  • MarcusLiviusMarcusLivius Senior Member Posts: 638Registered Users
    I've enjoyed the army roster in this game about as much as I have in any other Total War game. There are fewer "Unique" units, but those that exist are noticeably different. To a large extent I like the generals in the game as well. Although I wish they made the generic generals a little less generic. I think basing the color of the generals clothes off of their role in the game was a mistake.

I also disagree with you on the diplomacy. There are a lot of new aspects to the diplomacy, and I imagine some of them will see adjustment and improvement. However, if you are willing to play the diplomacy game, you can absolutely control or manipulate a large portion of the factions in game.

I'm really not sure what you were going for with saying the game repeats itself after turn 80. I guess you could say every TW game repeats itself?

It's clearly part of the CA business model to promote DLC sales, and I don't fault them for creating them. Do I personally feel like the content they created in the base game was worth the price of admission? Yes, I do. If future DLC's don't offer enough additional value, then I will avoid purchasing them.

Not sure how positive comments left by Chinese players are a negative. I'm also a westerner, of entirely European decent, and I love the atmosphere of the game. I have also enjoyed learning more of Chinese history and culture both in and out of the game, due to the creation of TW:3k.
    edited June 10
    GuTaiYP said:

Hehe, I welcome all the comments, regardless. Though, didn't know soo many Chinese guys with Western characteristics are lurking here :) No offence -sincerely.

The game advertised itself as a three kingdoms game day in and day out, had you only done a tiny tiny bit of google searches or even read the title (hint - the title says "three kingdoms") you would know what you would be buying even before you bought it, unless you just pulled the "herpa derp I'm gonna buy the game because it says total war because hey the game says total war!" then its jokes on you that you bought the game without asking questions and regretting it.
  • SilverMaidSilverMaid Posts: 40Registered Users
    GuTaiYP said:

@Warlord_Lu_Bu

Dear pal, what I can understand from the word choice of yours, is, that you seem to have created an image of Chinese culture for yourself thats based on some celebrating version of the dramatised literary pieces rather than the actual facts. As a Westerner who had many Chinese friends in actual China -not in a neighbouring country- during several years I can vouch you that most of the Chinese poeple doesn't speak of their history -regarding mentioned eras especially- as the way as you do. I don't know, but, from your word choicing again, calling both ME and FE 'exotic' seems like quite Western to me. You could do some research about colonial / post colonial theories and rethink about both the 'glorifying' image of Chinese culture of yours and the identity of yourself that you have built -probably you are still on the process- / building over time.

Thanks.

Yes, let's put in western content in a game solely about the 3K period. That'll make us feel immersed into china.

The problem here is not "marketing for the chinese market" or that only chinese people can enjoy this - which is obviously false. The problem is that you seem to be under the impression that every game has to cater towards your interests and everyone else be damned.

Ever heard of Dynasty Warriors? The RottK games, Fate of the Dragon? This period has an abundance of media, be it games, TV series or movies. Literature is one of the reasons why this is so popular in the first place so making a distinction between the novel and 'facts' makes even less sense.

You don't know anything about the period yet somehow you make the claim that factions are being 'held back' for DLC... who's that exactly? Oh right, you made that up...
    GuTaiYP said:

What I notice from most of the comments here that people -unfortunately- has missed some certain objections that I raised, and got stuck with the 'Westerner' part only. To those guys, I could only recommend to reread my first comment with some more care.

@Warlord_Lu_Bu

Thanks.

Not at all... I look at China in all of it's aspects, from it's mass genocides due to starvation, disease and war, to it's great advancements in medicine, science, astronomy and war. I too have many Chinese friends, who lived in China and were quite nationalistic... and they did not shy away from their history, but were proud to be part of such a nation. I choose to acknowledge the evils that were done, but to avoid bringing them back to memory... what's the point? it will only causes arguments and childish behaviour from people who weren't there and have never experienced such terrible things.

I refer to the Middle East and Far East as exotic, because I am talking to a Western Audience that speaks English and likely have never been to places like China, Vietnam, Persia, etc... Exotic is a fine word to express the mysterious and unique cultures and differences between the people of foreign nations... Were I expressing the same opinion from Asia based on Spain or Italy... then I would use the word Exotic again... because in my opinion, those 2 nations are very unique and culturally superior to much of Europe in the modern age.

As I remember... it wasn't just China that was flooded with opium and then beaten into submission by the Western powers... it was QING China... which are the Manchurian descendants of us Mongolians. So do not tell me about "Chinese Culture" when our people share a deep bond with the Han Chinese.
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
    Has any of those actual 'Westerner' pals here who aren't allowing me and others like me to say almost 'anything' against the game ever been to China once?

I would appriciate all the comments those based on something solid rather than a Wikipedia-origined info or some TV dramas with extra sauce. Besides, all those 'touchy' friends here still trying to target me over the 'Westerner' part of my comment, which is of course something that reinforces my claim for those to be Westerners with Chinese characteristics 'somehow.'

@Warlord_Lu_Bu

Pal, there are some accurate points in your comment, though I can't say the same for your overall opinion for what I can clearly see from your message is you are still -voluntarily- being a victim of Western discourse despite your own claim, which you are a Mongolian that strongly advocates a 'bound' between Mongolians and Han Chinese in defiance of knowing -I presume- the social status of Han Chinese were even lower than the prostitutes during the Yuan Dynasty. And that again, visiting the actual China and spending some time over there might help you with your claims to become more reliable I believe. Since you were raised in Western part of the world -dollars, euros etc you know what I mean- you can even afford a few years to observe your mesmerising China at the first hand.

Facts and beliefs don't match all the time..
  • lucky_dutchlucky_dutch Posts: 181Registered Users
    Don’t think this is exclusively for the Chinese market at all.

I’m western and I think it’s the best total war yet. I also really enjoy the Chinese location and theme.

Also, how on Earth do you “relate” to TW:Warhammer?

Daft post.
    GuTaiYP said:

Has any of those actual 'Westerner' pals here who aren't allowing me and others like me to say almost 'anything' against the game ever been to China once?

I would appriciate all the comments those based on something solid rather than a Wikipedia-origined info or some TV dramas with extra sauce. Besides, all those 'touchy' friends here still trying to target me over the 'Westerner' part of my comment, which is of course something that reinforces my claim for those to be Westerners with Chinese characteristics 'somehow.'

Mate, I'm sitting here in China while I'm typing this comment, are you here to actually discuss the game or talk about petty politics and "hurr have you guys ever been to China? Because you know I have friends there and been there many times."
    @lucky_dutch

Comparison on loading times and turns.

@Misaka_Complex
    GuTaiYP said:

@Warlord_Lu_Bu

Pal, there are some accurate points in your comment, though I can't say the same for your overall opinion for what I can clearly see from your message is you are still -voluntarily- being a victim of Western discourse despite your own claim, which you are a Mongolian that strongly advocates a 'bound' between Mongolians and Han Chinese in defiance of knowing -I presume- the social status of Han Chinese were even lower than the prostitutes during the Yuan Dynasty. And that again, visiting the actual China and spending some time over there might help you with your claims to become more reliable I believe. Since you were raised in Western part of the world -dollars, euros etc you know what I mean- you can even afford a few years to observe your mesmerising China at the first hand.

You are correct... that when Mongols ruled China, Han Chinese were considered less than slaves... in fact the words for "slave" in Mongol were "Chinese Man"... a history that the Chinese did to the Mongols first... and then faced the punishment for it later.

But what do you mean...? I'm not mesmerising China... I'm not saying it has flying dragons and Han Emperors and jade palaces that float in the sky! I'm just saying that it's far more interesting than a bunch of fat European "kings" sending peasants to die on mass, while they feast in ugly castles and talk about legendary things they didn't even do.
  • lucky_dutchlucky_dutch Posts: 181Registered Users

GuTaiYP said:

@Warlord_Lu_Bu

You are correct... that when Mongols ruled China, Han Chinese were considered less than slaves... in fact the words for "slave" in Mongol were "Chinese Man"... a history that the Chinese did to the Mongols first... and then faced the punishment for it later.

But what do you mean...? I'm not mesmerising China... I'm not saying it has flying dragons and Han Emperors and jade palaces that float in the sky! I'm just saying that it's far more interesting than a bunch of fat European "kings" sending peasants to die on mass, while they feast in ugly castles and talk about legendary things they didn't even do.
    Why do people insist on bashing one thing to praise another?

European history is fascinating. Chinese history also seems to be really interesting. That’s that.
  • WhiteHorseMemesWhiteHorseMemes Posts: 331Registered Users
    Addressing each point:

Unit Rosters: This could be improved, and I assume it will be over time. It's not terrible, but it can get a bit repetitive by late game. I feel like the most fun in a campaign is early on.

Names/places/whatever: I feel like this is a red herring in terms of the game's quality. If you're familiar with 3k stuff, you'll know almost everything that shows up. If you're not familiar with that stuff, maybe you'll learn it. It probably requires some outside reading to gain a deeper understanding of what's going on. I don't see it as any different from other total wars in this regard. It's not like I knew who Llewelyn was when I picked up the Total War Medieval 2 campaign that focused on the British isles, nor did I know much about the Gauls and Parthians when I first placed Rome Total War. Historical games are always a cycle where the game encourages you to learn more on your own, and then once you've learned more, you can appreciate the game itself more.

Diplomacy: This could probably be streamlined a bit, especially in terms of the popup messages, but I think diplomacy in the game is overall pretty good. There's a lot of options and the AI make interesting decisions. You can easily get screwed if you make bad choices regarding your allies or vassals (vassals can draw you into a lot of annoying wars).

Late-Game: I personally kinda agree with this. I find the early and mid-game to be the most fun and later parts of the game do feel a bit repetitive.

Content/DLC: So while I agree with you on the unit rosters and on streamlining the popup messages in diplomacy, I don't really agree with you here. I think the game has pretty good content for a base release. Shogun Total War 2 vanilla had 10 factions iirc. 3k Total War has 12, and I think the choices they made are particularly good. My biggest gripe is that the South is a barren wasteland, but putting that aside for now, I was really impressed with the roster they chose. They added in some oddball, but enjoyable, choices like Kong Rong, Zhang Yan and Zheng Jiang. I think these are a lot of fun. Other than that, they touched on almost all the bases I would possibly want from a roster, including a lot of warlords I wanted like Gongsun Zan, Yuan Shu, Liu Biao, the three kingdoms of course, Yuan Shao and Ma Teng. I really feel like they hit all the major warlords from this time period, and went above and beyond what they needed to in terms of providing player choice. The Yellow Turbans are a nice cherry on top for people who bought the game on day 1 (like me), but I can understand why some might be frustrated at the prospect of day 1 dlc. For the record, I haven't played any of the Turban factions so far and I think that even without them, the game has pretty good vanilla content.

As for my big gripe about the South being empty, I totally understand why there isn't that much content there. The warlords there just don't have that much lore behind them and aren't anywhere near as interesting as the choices they actually made for the game. Any ideas I have for filling the South are much worse than what they actually added to the game's roster. The Three Kingdoms novel doesn't touch on the South much; in a lot of other 3k games (such as KOEI's), the South is similarly either filled with a lot of empty territories or doesn't have many territories at all due to how little interesting content there is to fill it.
  • YaafmYaafm Posts: 1,275Registered Users
    I have to admit. I stopped playing as well, after putting in 120 hours over 4 factions, ive gotten a little bored...

And since when did I have more positive things to say about the game than negative things? Wrong again, I have spoken more negatively about the game than positive things and I even left a negative review on Steam because of the lack of historical acumen on CA's behalf and for the lack of unique legendary skins for characters. Would you like to try again?