Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

DLC Factions

VetelogeVeteloge Registered Users Posts: 2
Vietnamese, Thai, Korea, Turkic Khanate and surrounding factions around China. Will it be added in the future?
I love Total War games but we need to stop being limited to just one area on the map.
Like for example in Rome Total war you are limited to Europe, North Africa and middle east.
Can we for once. Get a Rome Total war game with the whole world included?

But for now I would like expanded map and added factions near Chinese. Vietnamese, Thai, Turkish, Mongols, Japanese, Koreans and so on. I mean take a look at video. Asia is big :dizzy:

Comments

• VetelogeVeteloge Registered Users Posts: 2
    Make a total war game with whole world map included. That would be so cool.
    Just imagine how fun it would be to use Chinese Armies to invade middle east and attack the Roman world.
    I really love Total Wars games but it feels so limited. I want to do what the Mongols did. Use Asian armies to attack Europe and so on. Lets make a Total War game where we can have world domination PLEASE :disappointed:

• Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Registered Users Posts: 2,331
    Apparently, they have already said that they will not be doing Faction DLC, but rather Timeline DLCs. I'd imagine it will be similar to KOEI's romance of the three kingdoms game's timelines selection, except maybe they will include different factions based on the time period. I doubt we'll see any expansion outside of China, but it would be nice if we at least got Korea, Mongolia and Vietnam.
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • 4uk4ata4uk4ata Registered Users Posts: 897
    Maybe, but something like Nanman would make a lot of sense for certain eras. I think extending the map to Korea and Southeast Asia - areas where China at the time had a fair bit to do with - would be really cool imo.

Land is Kislev, Kislev is Land! We are Kislev!

Proud Elspeth von Draken partisan
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,461
    Mongolian, Thai, or Japanese faction DLC aren't going to happen.

Korea is pretty likely, given that CA already has the peninsula on the campaign map. The closest you'd get to Mongols are the Xianbei tribes, which are a possibility. Personally, I doubt Vietnam is on the cards, but Nanman tribes in the general area might be a possibility.

Apparently, they have already said that they will not be doing Faction DLC, but rather Timeline DLCs.

No, they didn't say that. I've no idea where you got that idea, especially as the Yellow Turbans are a Faction Pack.
  • tadakatsutadakatsu Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 420
    they said they would be doing chapter packs which i believe they stated are kinda in the middle of faction packs and lord packs when comparing with what they did with warhammer

Korea is pretty likely, given that CA already has the peninsula on the campaign map. The closest you'd get to Mongols are the Xianbei tribes, which are a possibility. Personally, I doubt Vietnam is on the cards, but Nanman tribes in the general area might be a possibility.

Apparently, they have already said that they will not be doing Faction DLC, but rather Timeline DLCs.

No, they didn't say that. I've no idea where you got that idea, especially as the Yellow Turbans are a Faction Pack.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/business-practices-blog-three-kingdoms-post-launch-and-whats-next/

"We’re taking a slightly different approach to DLC for TW3K"

"What you’ll see initially for TW3K DLC are what we are calling ‘Chapter Packs’.

We’ll be taking notable chapters from Romance and creating new start positions that reflect their events. Adding a cast of new and familiar characters, features and objectives each time, that exemplify that chapter and the thrilling stories it tells."

They say that in the live stream before release if I remember correctly.

It also says

"In terms of ‘size’ of content, you can expect a Chapter Pack to be somewhere between a Culture Pack and a Campaign Pack. There will be a serious clutch of new playable factions and a raft of new mechanics to get to grips with in each, while you’ll be playing across all of China."

To me, it sounds like they won't be doing out of China DLC... but only focusing on events within the Three Kingdoms... so it does seem likely that we will eventually get to see the Nanman (Vietnam) but I don't think we'll get to see the Xianbei (Mongolia) or Gorgeyeo or whatever (Korea).
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 2,464
    Those foreign countries barely played a role during the three kingdoms period, if you want to play world war games go check out hearts of iron 4 or something like that, this is a game that is set in China with Chinese warlords.
  • GelstonGelston Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,589

Those foreign countries barely played a role during the three kingdoms period, if you want to play world war games go check out hearts of iron 4 or something like that, this is a game that is set in China with Chinese warlords.

That is great, but TW games are also about what ifs.
    edited June 2019
    Gelston said:

The game is already about what ifs, such as "what if XXX won in the end?" along with the player being able to do things which didn't happen in history, which is already a big "what if" scenario. If they want to include other countries they would have to create much more land outside of China unless they made a scenario that "omg the Mongolians suddenly invades!" or something like that onto the current map of the game, but then again since characters age and die in the game such a scenario would be played with generic generals since the legendary ones have by the time already been long dead.
    edited June 2019

Gelston said:

The game is already about what ifs, such as "what if XXX won in the end?" along with the player being able to do things which didn't happen in history, which is already a big "what if" scenario. If they want to include other countries they would have to create much more land outside of China unless they made a scenario that "omg the Mongolians suddenly invades!" or something like that onto the current map of the game, but then again since characters age and die in the game such a scenario would be played with generic generals since the legendary ones have by the time already been long dead.
    And they will add in more what ifs with DLCs. This is literally every TW ever made. They'll flesh out what is there with smaller DLCs and then have larger DLCs that add new scenarios, time periods, maps, factions, features, and anything else you can think of.

Actually... they kinda did...

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/business-practices-blog-three-kingdoms-post-launch-and-whats-next/

"We’re taking a slightly different approach to DLC for TW3K"

"We’ll be taking notable chapters from Romance and creating new start positions that reflect their events. Adding a cast of new and familiar characters, features and objectives each time, that exemplify that chapter and the thrilling stories it tells."

"While you’ll find a selection of new heroes and villains populating each new chapter, you’ll also see some familiar faces from the main game. However, they’ll be at a different point in their life, and are likely to have a very different set of needs and desires at this stage in their journey."

"In terms of ‘size’ of content, you can expect a Chapter Pack to be somewhere between a Culture Pack and a Campaign Pack. There will be a serious clutch of new playable factions and a raft of new mechanics to get to grips with in each, while you’ll be playing across all of China. "
    So, we'll get new "factions" but probably not new areas... as I said... we might get to see the Nanman (Vietnam) but not likely to see the other countries. Which is a pity.. but that it's their game and I'm happy we at least get to play Three Kingdoms in different periods... I cannot wait to see Lu Bu, free of Dong Zhuo's taint...
    edited June 2019
    @Warlord_Lu_Bu the blog said "we're taking a different approach to DLC", not "we're scrapping faction packs". The Chapter Packs will probably add new Han factions to go with the 190 start date, maybe as FLC.

There's also the Korean peninsula, the Southern Mongolian plains, and the vast amount of empty space in the South and South-west, which are pretty big indicators of future Faction Packs in those areas.

@Warlord_Lu_Bu the blog said "we're taking a different approach to DLC", not "we're scrapping faction packs". The Chapter Packs will probably add new Han factions to go with the 190 start date, maybe as FLC.

There's also the Korean peninsula, the Southern Mongolian plains, and the vast amount of empty space in the South and South-west, which are pretty big indicators of future Faction Packs in those areas.

I've already made discussions asking for those things... but the more I look at the map and what they said... the more I fear that we won't get it. It's kinda like Total War Empire, they fully made the Mughal Empire, but didn't release it... what if they originally had intentions to make DLC packs for Korea, Mongolia and Vietnam... but they aren't going to give it to us?

I would totally love to see Mongolia above all, and there is plenty of reason for them to include them... Xianbei had plenty of interactions with Yuan Shao, Gongsun Zan and Cao Cao... then we have the Nanman in the South that rose up against the Han Empire and then against Shu-Han... I certainly hope they will be included.. but I wonder if they will just keep them as part of Shi Xie's faction. It's too early to tell, but I guess we can hope.
    edited June 2019
    Double post... a while later.
    edited June 2019

I've already made discussions asking for those things... but the more I look at the map and what they said... the more I fear that we won't get it. It's kinda like Total War Empire, they fully made the Mughal Empire, but didn't release it... what if they originally had intentions to make DLC packs for Korea, Mongolia and Vietnam... but they aren't going to give it to us?
    Why on Earth would you think that? Why would CA go to the bother of expanding out the campaign map to include the entire Korean Peninsula, when it would have been easier to just draw a line down the coast and cut out the entirety of Korea altogether?
  • MarcusLiviusMarcusLivius Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 645

I would totally love to see Mongolia above all, and there is plenty of reason for them to include them... Xianbei had plenty of interactions with Yuan Shao, Gongsun Zan and Cao Cao... then we have the Nanman in the South that rose up against the Han Empire and then against Shu-Han... I certainly hope they will be included.. but I wonder if they will just keep them as part of Shi Xie's faction. It's too early to tell, but I guess we can hope.
    I think the difference between 3K and Empire, is that Empire was kinda a disaster at launch, where as this game, despite a few flaws is largely polished. Also the CA model for releasing new content is drastically different compared to Empire.

CA will need to spend less time and resources fixing this game, and so should have more time and resources to release additional content. With initial sales of the game being very positive, I can't see why CA would not pursue creating content for Korea, Mongolia and Vietnam. Any DLC for those countries will be a large driver of sales, of both the DLC and the base game. Not to mention, creating new DLC in this game should be far less expensive than creating DLC for one of the Warhammer games.

I think the difference between 3K and Empire, is that Empire was kinda a disaster at launch, where as this game, despite a few flaws is largely polished. Also the CA model for releasing new content is drastically different compared to Empire.

CA will need to spend less time and resources fixing this game, and so should have more time and resources to release additional content. With initial sales of the game being very positive, I can't see why CA would not pursue creating content for Korea, Mongolia and Vietnam. Any DLC for those countries will be a large driver of sales, of both the DLC and the base game. Not to mention, creating new DLC in this game should be far less expensive than creating DLC for one of the Warhammer games.
    Because they already said, they don't want to release faction DLC "races" like they do with Warhammer and all previous Total War games... they said they are going a different direction. I'm not the one in charge, so explaining to me why it's a good idea for them to do this and that won't have any effect lol... I'm totally with you, I believe they really should create new content, expanding onto the neighbouring countries... but from the way they spoke about it... it just doesn't seem a possibility anymore.

"We’re taking a slightly different approach to DLC for TW3K; based both on the exciting opportunities the Romance of the Three Kingdoms source material offers us and the preference we know players have for larger DLCs which adds considerable new replay.

What you’ll see initially for TW3K DLC are what we are calling ‘Chapter Packs’"

Tells me that we'll see Chapter Packs... based on the Three Kingdoms. If you guys have ever read or watched the various stories and movies on the Three Kingdoms, you will not see a significant show of any forces from Outside Of China. It seems likely that there will be no Xianbei (Mongolians) nor any Gorgeyeo (Koreans) and most definitely not Japanese (cause they were just peasants at this time). At the very most... we SHOULD see part of Vietnam, which goes along with the Three Kingdoms story with the Shu-Han invasion of Nanman territories... and then the revolts and rise of Meng Huo.

But if you guys are expecting a Road to Persia expansion or something like that... your gonna have to wait till Total War Chinghis Khaan arrives in the future :P
  • ScratcH1ScratcH1 Registered Users Posts: 164
    edited June 2019
    @Warlord_Lu_Bu

"The Yellow Turban Rebellion is the first Warlord Pack for Total War: THREE KINGDOMS, and is available for purchase here."

This is the very first paragraph from the yellow turban rebellion devblog: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-three-kingdoms-yellow-turban-rebellion-dev-blog/

Like with Rome 2 there were culture packs and campaign packs and with Warhammer we've seen lord packs and race packs. So we'll probably be seeing in addition to the chapter packs additional Warlord Packs hence the word "first" in their devblog.
    Furthermore, CA has never said anything about not doing any faction DLCs. They've just talked about chapter packs so far probably because that's going to be the next DLC, besides blood pack, and something new whereas culture/race packs have been done in the past Total War games.
    Gelston said:

And they will add in more what ifs with DLCs. This is literally every TW ever made. They'll flesh out what is there with smaller DLCs and then have larger DLCs that add new scenarios, time periods, maps, factions, features, and anything else you can think of.

They've already mentioned that they will be making different starting points with "chapter packs", but if they were to make new maps to include Korea and elsewhere that would mean creating terrain where none of the battles in the three kingdoms happened while leaving the south pretty much empty leaving out the historical Nan Man barbarian tribes and a whole lot of other factions which actually did exist. Since this game is supposed to be based on the three kingdoms period they should stick to the genre instead of inventing 4D space aliens in another galaxy.
    ScratcH1 said:

@Warlord_Lu_Bu

"The Yellow Turban Rebellion is the first Warlord Pack for Total War: THREE KINGDOMS, and is available for purchase here."

This is the very first paragraph from the yellow turban rebellion devblog: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-three-kingdoms-yellow-turban-rebellion-dev-blog/

Like with Rome 2 there were culture packs and campaign packs and with Warhammer we've seen lord packs and race packs. So we'll probably be seeing in addition to the chapter packs additional Warlord Packs hence the word "first" in their devblog.
    Furthermore, CA has never said anything about not doing any faction DLCs. They've just talked about chapter packs so far probably because that's going to be the next DLC, besides blood pack, and something new whereas culture/race packs have been done in the past Total War games.

That still doesn't confirm New Warlords in the current timeline... it might mean that we'll get to play the currently non-playable ones... but it still doesn't confirm that we'll get to play any new ones in this current timeline.

The only people that can confirm such things would be CA themselves....

@Grace_CA would you be able to confirm some stuff for us? :P Am I totally wrong in my assumption that there won't be any new Faction DLCs for this Current time line... but will there be "Chapter Packs" later on that give us other time lines with new warlords/factions?

Or will there be secret releases for this timeline too.
  • AtYourLeisureAtYourLeisure Registered Users Posts: 60

Apparently, they have already said that they will not be doing Faction DLC

They never said that.

Don't bother regurgitating your earlier "evidence" post; I already read it, and nowhere did they say that new playable factions would not be added, which is what you were implying.
    edited June 2019

Gelston said:

They've already mentioned that they will be making different starting points with "chapter packs", but if they were to make new maps to include Korea and elsewhere that would mean creating terrain where none of the battles in the three kingdoms happened while leaving the south pretty much empty leaving out the historical Nan Man barbarian tribes and a whole lot of other factions which actually did exist. Since this game is supposed to be based on the three kingdoms period they should stick to the genre instead of inventing 4D space aliens in another galaxy.
    Total War games often do that. Rome 1 had an Alexander Campaign. Rome 2 had Wrath of Sparta. Atilla had Charlesmagne. Neither if those had anything to do with Rome or Attila. I believe you said this was your first TW game? They don't always confine themselves to one specific area.

And no one us saying space aliens and such. Don't be ridiculous.

They never said that.

Don't bother regurgitating your earlier "evidence" post; I already read it, and nowhere did they say that new playable factions would not be added, which is what you were implying.
    Well, I'm certainly not going to snoop around through the hours of streaming to prove to you they did... so fine, believe what you want.
  • AtYourLeisureAtYourLeisure Registered Users Posts: 60

They never said that.

Well, I'm certainly not going to snoop around through the hours of streaming to prove to you they did... so fine, believe what you want.
    You quite literally cannot be correct. There is no way for them to add different "timelines" like later starts without adding new playable factions. Many of the playable factions in the current campaign are either dead or otherwise no longer in power just a few years after the start date. If they released even more start dates that started later we could be looking at just 3 or 4 playable factions. That won't work. People will be ****, and CA wants to make money.

You're just wrong. Sorry.
  • YANGXuYANGXu Registered Users Posts: 21
    I really do not think regions beyond China have a great chance to be included in future DLCs. But besides the chapter DLCs, which would certainly add new factions, you can probably expect a Barbarian Invasion DLC. You see, shortly after (37 years later) the Si Ma family conquered the Kingdom of Wu and reunited China, our country was overwhelmed by the northern barbarians. Historians believe there were five major barbarian tribes in it including the potential ancestors of the Mongols and Xiongnu, which could possibly be the Huns. So at least 5 barbarian factions I think.