Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Money trick

ScaptasticScaptastic Registered Users Posts: 4
I'm playing through as Liu Bei. I dont think you HAVE to be his faction for this money trick to work. But he has the ability to annex the Han empire commanderies through Unity from the beginning which I found useful.

The key is to capture the emperor before the rank of king(I think you might have to have him for this to work) Once I became King the Han empire had 123k in gold reserves and a handful of territories. I had 40 tradable territories or so. I noticed that I could annex all of the han empire as I was making claim for emperor without using unity.

Before I annexed them however I began trading all my territory to them for Gold except my Capital commandery. I maxed out all of their Gold into my reserves then annexed all my own territory back plus theirs!

I took a hit on the first few turns in terms of taxation and recalling units helped me get a positive flow of gold back. But I was instantly granted funds for a HUGE level up to all my buildings, and commanderies across my territory.

This has helped my finances tremendously while supporting me to push the other two would be emporers out of the contest.

Comments

• ACmonkeyACmonkey Registered Users Posts: 77
    Interesting, will have this in mind when I try Liu Bei campaign, but it won't be anytime soon as I just finished Coalition Gongsun Zan and I'm currently with YT Gong Du. After that I want either Bandit, Tyrant or Governer next.
  • AxlswhkAxlswhk Registered Users Posts: 216
    edited June 2019
    Money is definitely not one of the things to be concern if you know how to build proper economies. It is possible to have 200 to 500k sitting around after 10 years into the game with around 13-15k revenue every turn. I’m sure some people here can even go above 15k. But using the aforementioned trick is interesting nevertheless.
  • epic_159744284903XGZcwTYepic_159744284903XGZcwTY Registered Users Posts: 100
    Did you use the function to annex the vassal?

It seems like Dong Zhuo could in theory do this from the beginning of the game then or at least very early.
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 3,707
    benjoewoo said:

It seems like Dong Zhuo could in theory do this from the beginning of the game then or at least very early.

You can't annex the Han in the game. One thing about this trick is that it doesn't take other factions into consideration, meaning that there is a huge risk to losing your lands you sell to the Han to other warlords.

• ComradCommodoreComradCommodore Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 919
    Axlswhk said:

Money is definitely not one of the things to be concern if you know how to build proper economies. It is possible to have 200 to 500k sitting around after 10 years into the game with around 13-15k revenue every turn. I’m sure some people here can even go above 15k. But using the aforementioned trick is interesting nevertheless.

You wanna elaborate on this one lol

Axlswhk said:

You wanna elaborate on this one lol

Lots of way to do it, keep corruption down is the key, reform being another, trade is a good way, administrator, skills, ancillaries all add up to make a difference, and if it’s not enough you can always try the “loan shark” trick that is well published in the steam forum.

commerce, industry combo is a good way to earn money early on. Try aim for 3 settlement comandary and build a good foundation for solid growth.

• ScaptasticScaptastic Registered Users Posts: 4

benjoewoo said:

You can't annex the Han in the game. One thing about this trick is that it doesn't take other factions into consideration, meaning that there is a huge risk to losing your lands you sell to the Han to other warlords.
    I did it all in one turn, saving first to make sure I wasnt being an idiot. It was painstakingly boring to do so much haggling and then to re-assign administrators after I annexed my territory again. Come to think of it, if and when the opportunity arises to annex any rich faction you could do this trick. Drain their gold by trading your land and then immediately annex. Huh... maybe we just found a great loophole :smiley:
  • ACmonkeyACmonkey Registered Users Posts: 77
    This might be a slight Offtopic but it's also a "money trick"

Yesterday evening I did something that maybe has been mentioned before in the forum. Haven't looked for it so no idea.

I am playing Gong Du and I had sieged and won the City of Chang'an, where the child emperor is. A couple of turns later I saw LuBu's army approaching and I knew it would take him just 1 more turn to sieze me and probably crush me. So what I did is run away with my small (but valuable) army and downgrade the city to its minimum and demolish all the city expansion slots. This way not only did I save my army from a sure defeat but I also managed a nice 2k income. Exactly on the next turn I accepted (delegated) the defeat of the city which was now a level 1 town LOL.

edited June 2019

I did it all in one turn, saving first to make sure I wasnt being an idiot. It was painstakingly boring to do so much haggling and then to re-assign administrators after I annexed my territory again. Come to think of it, if and when the opportunity arises to annex any rich faction you could do this trick. Drain their gold by trading your land and then immediately annex. Huh... maybe we just found a great loophole :smiley:

That would mean that you would have the option to annex the Han by taking the capital as long as you aren't Dong Zhuo, interesting. I thought that you can't annex the Han as any faction for balance reasons but if you can do this, you can.

What is the loan shark trick?

Also it seems unclear how you annex Han by selling territories and then taking them over--is it specific to Liu Bei or can other factions do it?

I don't think economy building in 3k is difficult but the two above things seem pretty odd to me since I haven't heard of one and the other doesn't seem very clear in how to do exactly.
    benjoewoo said:

Also it seems unclear how you annex Han by selling territories and then taking them over--is it specific to Liu Bei or can other factions do it?

I don't think economy building in 3k is difficult but the two above things seem pretty odd to me since I haven't heard of one and the other doesn't seem very clear in how to do exactly.

It’s a trade diplomacy exploit. There is a lengthy guide in steam if you browse the history but I’m not sure it works on the latest update. I can’t answer much since I haven’t tried it before but it’s certainly working in prior version.

There are also loads of economies guide in the net, which is useful, and the common main aspect is keep corruption down. Administrator and assignment is crucial as well.
    Full fledge commerce commandary stack with full commerce and industry building combo with a 75% commerce assignment is a gold mine. My suggestion is to go full steroid bloodbath at the start, capturing one settlement every 2-3 turns, pause the expansion after capturing 6 full commandary, concentrate on economies, peace with all surrounding faction and keep only 1 stack(food is not main concern now, 5 to 10 is enough to survive at this point). Spend 3 to 5 years building up economies and fast build as much as possible, and you are set for a very healthy fund for the rest of the game. Easily 9 general with full elite stack and still able to earn 12k each turn.

I’m sure there are also other ways of doing it.
    edited June 2019
    Loan shark trick is a trade diplomacy exploit. There is a lengthy guide on this in the steam forum. Personally have not tried but it’s certainly working on the previous version. New update might change it.

There are many guide on economies in the net, main common aspect revolves around keeping corruption down. Administrator and assignment are crucial too. An economy that supports 12 general full elite troops with over 10k earning per turn is not difficult.
    benjoewoo said:

The OP claims to have done this in one turn so I'm assuming that he used the "annex vassal" command via diplomacy, otherwise if he was to do it manually then he's surely going to need more than one turn and a chunk of unity.

If it's the annex vassal everyone can do that--any faction can succeed as well if you just overload the relationship system with bad ancillaries, a little money, and hit their enemies a couple turns before you attempt.

Did it as Dong Zhuo post declaration of emperor--they loved me for attacking their enemies and overloading them with gifts let me annex almost 1/3 of the map.
    Ok update - fatty Dong just became king and yes, when I vassalized the Han again I have the option to annex them.

• ScaptasticScaptastic Registered Users Posts: 4

benjoewoo said:

The OP claims to have done this in one turn so I'm assuming that he used the "annex vassal" command via diplomacy, otherwise if he was to do it manually then he's surely going to need more than one turn and a chunk of unity.
    Yes. I did all this in one turn, through diplomacy.

Liu Bei has a different annexing ability, but that is not what I'm using.

You could do this with any faction that is your Vassal and can be annexed, theoretically.

If you plan on annexing anyone, give them territory till you get all their gold. Then annex them. Doing it to the Han empire provided me 123k in one turn. After that boost to all my buildings I make 15k a turn regularly.