Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Ma Tengs garrison building lacks soldiers? purpose or bug?

BeardedragonBeardedragon MemberPosts: 1,270Registered Users
edited June 17 in General Discussion
i have made this topic before, some time ago but i feel like it was a bit inconclusive.

can anyone confirm or de-confirm that that its a bug that Ma Tengs garrison building doesnt provide a single soldier? That it should, in fact, have provided soldiers as well?

also how long does an enemy army generally have to be in my territory before they start losing models? because i feel like in my previous Campaigns (not related to Ma Teng) remnant enemy armies that have been beaten and dont want to leave my area, run around trying to avoid capture for like 5-10 rounds at least. for some reason, without losing any models.

apparently they never lost military supplies, or they just lost them extremely slowly.

Comments

• RewanRewan Senior Member Posts: 1,021Registered Users
    Strategist armies are extremly hard to deplete as Cunning is just too good for its own good. And the AI loves their strategists
  • BeardedragonBeardedragon Member Posts: 1,270Registered Users
    Rewan said:

Strategist armies are extremly hard to deplete as Cunning is just too good for its own good. And the AI loves their strategists

that might be it, thank you. but if thats on purpose that they can just run around like headless chickens, and Ma Tengs garrison building provide no soldiers, doesnt that kind of mean it sucks?
  • BoombastekBoombastek Posts: 1,549Registered Users

Rewan said:

that might be it, thank you. but if thats on purpose that they can just run around like headless chickens, and Ma Tengs garrison building provide no soldiers, doesnt that kind of mean it sucks?
    It not suck, just low time in testing. Can be considered as bug.
  • davor999davor999 Posts: 73Registered Users
    Seems to be on purpose. You get food, and supply bonuses to compensate.
    Seems like it is to encourage an aggressive play style.
    davor999 said:

yea.. it might. but it seems like the drawbacks are huge all things considered. it means you cant just place a single retinue in a city to get a full 3 retinues for defense.
    He’s so good attacking though, with fatigue immune cavalry, that I think it’s intentional to mean you have to focus on offense.

With bonuses to reserves you can be in your enemies territory a lot of the time laying ambushes, and so you don’t need to worry about defending so much.
    I think it’s good that they encourage different play styles.

Liu Bei on the otherhand can be a defensive juggernaut, with his extra administrators and super cheap archery militia.
  • DisturbedTobiDisturbedTobi Member Posts: 116Registered Users
    davor999 said:

Thats wrong. You can get the same boni except food from normal garrison chain. And the meager 3 food isn't worth it.
  • QiangLordQiangLord Posts: 26Registered Users
    edited June 18
    I thought this was weird at first, too. But having played a Ma Teng game now, here's my anecdotal experience: he's crazy strong.

Ma Teng's food income is off the charts with a good few of these buildings in play. And getting the horse resources in Liang province is what any smart Ma player is going to do. Which means almost-free upkeep on cavalry, along with a lack of cavalry fatigue. His aggressive power is insane.

In light of that, I think it's possible the lack of garrison is an intended balance feature. And, anecdotally, I can say it was never a problem in my game. If anyone threatened my cities, I could just spawn a nearly-free Dothraki horde nearby and wipe them out, particularly with the high army movement in play as well.

He's most vulnerable in the early game, but that's a perfectly normal way of balancing a civ in a strategy game.
    QiangLord said:

I thought this was weird at first, too. But having played a Ma Teng game now, here's my anecdotal experience: he's crazy strong.

Ma Teng's food income is off the charts with a good few of these buildings in play. And getting the horse resources in Liang province is what any smart Ma player is going to do. Which means almost-free upkeep on cavalry, along with a lack of cavalry fatigue. His aggressive power is insane.

In light of that, I think it's possible the lack of garrison is an intended balance feature. And, anecdotally, I can say it was never a problem in my game. If anyone threatened my cities, I could just spawn a nearly-free Dothraki horde nearby and wipe them out, particularly with the high army movement in play as well.

He's most vulnerable in the early game, but that's a perfectly normal way of balancing a civ in a strategy game.

was about to say that his early game definitly dont seem that easy. you have to deal with yellow turbans and gong du in the south (or is it west? not sure) along those mountains, and your early game income isnt necessarily that great. so you cant really spawn armies of soldiers to defend when ever you need to and your cities have practically no defense either.

maybe the mid and late game is easier, but ive never found myself getting far enough for that with Ma teng due to lack of garrisons. and income.
    The first few turns are extremely hard compared to other leaders, but after that it’s fun.
    Looking to ambush enemies around the edge of your borders worked well for me. Your cavalry will destroy non spear units.
    Even if you don’t get the ambush it doesn’t usually matter, you are just looking to avoid sieging a town with an army in it.

For offensive sieges a trebuchet or 2, and patience work well, as this is where your horses are weak.
  • QiangLordQiangLord Posts: 26Registered Users
    Like many factions in 3K, your early moves are quite crucial. But if you're calculating, you can wipe out Gong Du almost immediately. My approach after that was to get peace with Dong Zhuo, deal with Han Sui after he declared war on me, then head south to eat Sichuan, by which point Shu was one of the Three Kingdoms, so it gave me my first emperor seat. I steamrolled everything after that, tbh.

My general advice in starting 3K as almost anyone is "don't waste turns". Early game 3K is a massive battle royale, moreso than previous TWs where you tend to get got one or two gentle expansion routes with little staunch opposition. When you waste turns on indecision, you lose ground.