Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Vampire Coast - A Retrospective

2»

Comments

• CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 10,395
    edited June 2019

Crossil said:

But they do have several things, every single one in the armybooks since they participate in the conflicts concerning individual races. For instance if I pull out Gor-Rok I know he has fought against nearly every race in game. There's a detailed storyline in the very armybook that summarizes a Dark Elf raid on Lustria wherein he took command. He is a well traveled warrior that has fought from Chaos Wastes to Mountains of Mourn.

When you say self-contained you're probably thinking some one-off characters. But most characters in the armybooks do have their own storyline and characterization to work with as well as connections to their own race, at least. VP's one problem, that especially concerns Direfin is that they don't have a common storyline and with her it is even more abundantly clear.

And, of course, TW is not a franchise that builds itself on storylines, but fortunately Warhammer has its background. Unfortunately OC characters don't profit from that. And this will be so for every other such character. Even the Chariot Lord but he at least has memes.

So if you say "blueprint" then don't go and act like that's enough to make her interesting.

If battles in the canon lore are your qualification for playable LL, then the likes of Araby or Amazons or Cathay would never have enough LL. That might be fine with you, but for everyone else who wants to see certain factions to be made then a few OC characters would be required.
    I have no idea why you think this of me when I started out at the first response by saying I'm not against her inclusion. I just think she isn't as interesting a character as you think.

UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

• ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 5,093
    I for one found the Vampirates well made with a few exceptions:

1:
    I had hoped for something new/special/flashy in other words something that played uniquely in a new way on the battlefield, yet they kind of feel bland to me in battles, i can´t recollect that they have tricks up their sleeves that have not been included in some sort of form before and that bummed me out in a major way soon after they got released.

2:
    They should be restricted to the coast´s occupation wise and their gameplay should revolve much more around the sea somehow Mechanics/missions and so on(in a much larger degree than currently)

I do love a few things about it too though:

1:
    Horde/City building(i love that this finally is a thing, it can be immensely fun to play around

2:
    The art and animation teams knocked it out of the park again, absolutely stunningly done

3:
    Cylostra Direfin is just glorious! had so much fun playing her, i DO wish that CA made her lore deeper, is seems shallow somehow.

4:
    Coves nuff said

"Yum Yum"
  • FloppingerFloppinger Registered Users Posts: 526

Lorewise, Luthor Harkons powers was enhanced when he got his brain zapped by Lizardmen traps/relics. He cant use magic but he has a powerful necromantic aura that let his zombies be so stable they can fire and aim firearms.

Luthor Harkon is the only one with this power. Count Noctilus is Vampire Pirate sure, but he most likely had vanilla Vampire Counts powers. This was changed in Vampire Coast.

Aranessa and Cylostra has vampire "first mates".

Crossil said:

Luthor Harkon's necromancy was affected by either the magic shield or the Old Ones artifact so his zombies are different. Count Noctilus uses the Maelstrom which was shown to raise undead differently than Nagash's magic in the novel. Cylostra and(probably) Aranessa both have Stromfels to thank for it, probably. Or whatever way the Vampire Admirals are affected by Stromfels.

All of these seem to be different from Nagash's magic.

Hmm, interesting, thanks guys.

• RomeoRejectRomeoReject Registered Users Posts: 1,865
    I do hope we see more for them though. I'd love to see an Ethereal combat Lord at some point, or (My own personal pick), a Depth Guard Lord of some kind.
  • Ol_NessieOl_Nessie Registered Users Posts: 4,310

I do hope we see more for them though. I'd love to see an Ethereal combat Lord at some point, or (My own personal pick), a Depth Guard Lord of some kind.

Noctilus is kind of already the Depth Guard Lord. The Depth Guard unit in TW was based on his crew as described in Dreadfleet.

Seeing as how the Vampire Coast went far above and beyond their source material, especially in comparison to the earliest races of the series, it'll be a long time before I agree that they need more. Most other races still have a mighty need for content and attention.
  • RomeoRejectRomeoReject Registered Users Posts: 1,865
    Ol_Nessie said:

Noctilus is kind of already the Depth Guard Lord. The Depth Guard unit in TW was based on his crew as described in Dreadfleet.

Seeing as how the Vampire Coast went far above and beyond their source material, especially in comparison to the earliest races of the series, it'll be a long time before I agree that they need more. Most other races still have a mighty need for content and attention.
    I meant more a Depth Guard looking Lord. They're my favourite looking unit in the entire series, I want more excuses to look at those helmets. =P

As for your second point: I totally agree, the last two Race Packs have really had a good amount of meat on the bone (Especially compared to previous ones). Still, dare to dream!
  • NyxilisNyxilis Registered Users Posts: 4,554
    Can't say to much, as Nessie mostly says a lot of what I agree with.

Especially when they gave them the boat building mechanic. At that point I don't see why they couldn't have been coastal colonization only. Given you can take your factory along with you.

Also, partially hope that it means they're looking into improving hordes in some way in the future.
  • TimpeyoTimpeyo Registered Users Posts: 1,721
    edited June 2019
    I was unsure when vampire coast was announced, especially with so many vamp LLs already in game and as a none fleashed out faction CA was adding too, I was very sceptical.

But after playing them I have fully enjoyed them, the units are so uniquely different with some amazing detail and animation. The lords have so much flavour to them I personally like the ghostly opera singer and it was funny to see her reveal, saltspite I felt doesn't quite fit and could have done with being a bit more green around the gills but love her character. But the whole feel off who VC are really sets them apart as a faction and there own way off fighting.