Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

A issue with mid/late game and certain items/characters due to Redeployment cost

TropicdragonTropicdragon Posts: 101Registered Users
Take Dong Zhuo or Lu Bu or Sun Jian and his Jade Seal as an example. It seems for me at least that some factions character combos almost never seem to redeploy after being defeated making it impossible to acquire either those characters or their unique items.

The situation varies from who you play and how the game evolves, one example would be I played as Gong Du and defeated Lu Bu early game and only after like 100 ish turns after I destroyed his faction would he show up again in another faction.

Or if you play early and fight Liu Biao and defeat him but not get his bow.

Anyone else has trouble with such situations?

Comments

• RikisRikis Posts: 1,047Registered Users
    Not really for me personally. I personally took out Guan yu 3 times agaisnt Lu Bei, captured him twice but let him go, third time I didn't capture him.

Saw many other uniques running around with there original faction even though I defeated them, Cao Cao for example, backstabbing git, don't know why I even bother signing peace treaties with the guy.
  • tqhung87tqhung87 Senior Member Posts: 394Registered Users
    edited June 20
    Rikis said:

Not really for me personally. I personally took out Guan yu 3 times agaisnt Lu Bei, captured him twice but let him go, third time I didn't capture him.

Saw many other uniques running around with there original faction even though I defeated them, Cao Cao for example, backstabbing git, don't know why I even bother signing peace treaties with the guy.

That's because Lu Bu and Dong Zhuo have expensive unique retinue from the beginning while guan yu and Cao Cao's cousins only have cheap militia retinue.
    Post edited by tqhung87 on
  • RikisRikis Posts: 1,047Registered Users
    tqhung87 said:

Rikis said:

That's because Lu Bu has and Dong Zhuo have expensive unique retinue from the beginning while guan yu and Cao Cao's cousins only have cheap militia retinue.
    Could be , cant say when it comes to Dong Zhuo because his event keeps killing him in my games early. Last game was like 10 turns in.

As for Lu Bu, I saw him pop up a few times in Dong's faction, coming back after defeat. He even became leader of that faction and changed its flag and everything.
  • kweassa1kweassa1 Posts: 663Registered Users
    My theory, is that destroyed armies usually seem to respawn from the capital of that faction.

I don't think I've ever, in more than 10 full play-throughs, observed an enemy army non-existent at the previous turn, ever get deployed within my visual range and build their forces up. It may not be the capital, but certainly the AI armies preferred to be re-deployed well out of visual range from any player army in the field.

So, if you have a faction that holds a wide territory -- typically the Sun family's Kingdom of Wu -- if their field armies are destroyed, it would take a very long time until the Ai rebuilds an army, replenishes it, and then marches it all the way to the frontline where you can see them. If the distance to the frontline and to the capital is quite long, any number of events might divert a rebuilt enemy army on it's way to the frontline.

Seems to fit in Dong faction's case, because in the beginning Dong Zhuo has already moved the capital to Changan, which is quite far west from where most of the popular player faction starts out.

....and by the time you've just marched your armies right up to enemy capital in a spree of conquest, the enemy would be suffering all sorts of internal problems like income shortages, that prevents them from fielding new armies.

I think this way, because there are many cases that I know for a fact that the enemy has enough money and food to simply rebuild armies near to the defensive line my army is garrisoned at. The enemy faction has enough resources to march right back a new army within 4~5 turns of their destruction -- if they had promptly redeployed/recruited their armies as they were destroyed.

And yet, if you destroy a large enemy force in quick succession, there's a very long opening forming in the enemy lines which you can use to conquer and advance ... instead of same number of armies popping back up within that year.

I imagine the overall difficulty of the campaign would go up significantly, if the AI players used redeployment of armies as aggressively as human players.