Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Bugs encountered thus far on Kong Rong Legendary on records mode

sprankelsprankel Junior MemberPosts: 5Registered Users
Faction: Kong Rong
Dificulty: Legendary both map and battle
mode: records mode

- large army battles on non cities, farms for example will generate an open field battle instead of a siege battle without walls. I don't know if this on purpose but the game doesn't warn you for this.

- In large army battles ranged units may have difficulty of firing, if the ranged units are overlapping they may refuse to fire at all or only a few men are firing. I also noticed that in some very busy battles where I don't have time to manage them they only shot 10% of their arrows

I know that the AI will cheat on legendary mode as in every previous game.
The main reason I play on legendary is that you can't load/save making the campaign much more intense because you have to deal with mistakes instead of loading a few turns back. Declaring independency in Fall of the Samurai was a mistake that ended up in 15 hours of gameplay where I only could think i screwed up my game but in the end I managed to turn the tide.

Now back to three kingdoms:

Yuan Shao is a pain as Kong Rong, to begin with the absurd vassalage. I know this has been patched in the meantime but I managed to overcome this before the patch. He is very, very strong in the beginning of the game and I couldn't prevent from going to war with him. But I managed to get peace, even make him my friend, and trough thorough diplomatics preventing him to massive vassalage everyone.

I knew Yuan Shoa wasn't going to be my friend forever so I sent 5 spies (he is very good at catching spies), expanded my territory and economy to be able to afford going to war with Yuan Shoa when the time comes, trying to delay it as long as I could.

When Yuan Shoa decided our friendship was over, declared himself emperor and attacked one of my vassals I was ready to give him hell.

The first stage of the war was to create a massive food shortage, starving his entire empire. He wouldn't be able to replenish troops or muster so that every bit of damage I did to his massive stacks would stay. As a bonus it would create huge public order issues on his empire.

So I took a lot of farms and fishing ports, leaving the cities that cost food, creating a massive food shortage up to -80 food.
Not a single settlement spawned a yellow turban army and not a single army had trouble mustering or replenish it troops.

I get that the AI cheats, I really do, but this is not a bit cheating, this is ignoring one of the key aspects of the game.

The second stage of the war was to hit his home region and his economy, the massive stacks he has are very, very costly to upkeep.

I hold his massive stacks bussy while 2 other stacks take over al his home regions including the emperor seat, not a single settlement had any real economic value, I even got level 3 settlements.

Currently he has only 1 trade agreement versus 7 for me, only 1/3 of land compared to me, his remaining lands are worthless and yet he manages to hold an army strenght that is equal.
I'm putting all my economic strenght in this war, offering food trades, trading ancillaries, having a lot of different resources including silk, not updating any building yet he stills manages to rival my strength and has no issue whatsoever to spawn new stacks.

I don't mind that the AI cheats, I don't mind they get extra income, that they suffer less from penalties but this is becoming absurd. The AI ignores everything and not a single tactic is going to work unless i take all his land, kill every army on the way and deal with stacks that spawn from nothing.

Comments

• sprankelsprankel Junior Member Posts: 5Registered Users
    Loading save files is offcoarse something you can deny yourself but lets face it, when you are 150 - 300 turns in a game you are not going to say, oh i screwed up, lets start from turn 1 again. If you don't have the option to load you either find a way to fix it or you start from turn 1 again.

I was mad , hopeless and sad at the same time after I declared independency on Fall of the Samurai. It was very late game, I had over 100 hours in that campaign and i honestly didn't see a way to fix it. The only thing the AI did, all factions, the whole map, was spawn stacks and send them directly to me,
    In a last attempt to try to turn it around i sacrificied half my empire and retreated to the most defendable part of my empire for a last defense. After that I had to fight, every turn, multiple times, and I couldn't use auto resolve because I couldn't afford the penalty on casualties. And you have the sea batlles in that one, every turn that same boring sea fight sometimes 2 times for a turn. After another 100 hours (because of all the manual fighting) I managed to win that campaign.

I can assure you that if that was not on legendary I would have used a save game.

And don't be mistaken, I loose campaigns and more often then not i have to restart them (but most are lost in the beginning).

And offcoarse there is some badd ass aspect but then I would have used the most difficult faction on legendary, like playing as Rome in Attila on legendary. I din't finish that one because it got boring, I denied Attila to get strong early game by burning France and Spain to the ground before turn 1 was pressed. It also created a large buffer of dead land Atilla never crossed and thus it became a very easy campaign.
  • BoombastekBoombastek Posts: 2,026Registered Users
    Farm became siege when farm t4.

Check map before battle all time, that not hard.

To prevent like you said food starving ofc AI can't start suffer attrition.
    Cos AI can't perfect manage and it too cheese.

Ofc AI like player had this hidden income.
    Plus AI on highest difficulties had like in Warhammer reduce upkeep and recruiting cost.
    Plus Yuan Shao had trait retinue lead by captain had even more - 50% upkeep, idk how much AI had reduce upkeep, but he almost not pay for armies lead by captains. But instead 10 armies from 1 setlement AI gave player chances, he create armies lead by generals.

All you said is not bugs, you missed with forum sections.

This thread is pure for discuss.
    I have to check the level of the farm but im not sure, I have been defending level 3 mines with siege map, level 1 temple was open field but I think I had a level 3 farm that spawned as open field.
    However that I need to check the map before battle is not a solution, by that time its to late and it means I lost an army.

I don't mind that Ai buffs food and has far less penalty from food shortage but having massive food problems and not having any penalty is another thing. They reacted and tried to take farms and ports back ignoring the rest. They also imported food or at least I presume they did, my spies allowed me to monitor their food supply.

I also don't mind the AI cheating with less upkeep and more income.

The point I'm making is that the AI cheats so far it renders every tactic useless and that is a major issue for a tactical game.
    sprankel said:

I have to check the level of the farm but im not sure, I have been defending level 3 mines with siege map, level 1 temple was open field but I think I had a level 3 farm that spawned as open field.
    However that I need to check the map before battle is not a solution, by that time its to late and it means I lost an army.

I don't mind that Ai buffs food and has far less penalty from food shortage but having massive food problems and not having any penalty is another thing. They reacted and tried to take farms and ports back ignoring the rest. They also imported food or at least I presume they did, my spies allowed me to monitor their food supply.

I also don't mind the AI cheating with less upkeep and more income.

The point I'm making is that the AI cheats so far it renders every tactic useless and that is a major issue for a tactical game.

Cos it legendary difficult.

All time with more difficult AI became less penalty from any source, that a point.

Even diplomacy showed on E3 is not possible on Legendary.
    Ai doesn't have less penalty, they don't have any penalty at all. The penalty I get for having - 5 food gives me huge issues, how can you defend having - 80 and not having any penalty at all?

For economics, AI is making 20% of my income, and I calculated generously.

So basically when playing legendary, trow out all tactics and strategies, create large amount of army stacks, steamroll the entire map without blinking and win the game. That's sounds perfect for a strategy game.
    sprankel said:

Ai doesn't have less penalty, they don't have any penalty at all. The penalty I get for having - 5 food gives me huge issues, how can you defend having - 80 and not having any penalty at all?

For economics, AI is making 20% of my income, and I calculated generously.

So basically when playing legendary, trow out all tactics and strategies, create large amount of army stacks, steamroll the entire map without blinking and win the game. That's sounds perfect for a strategy game.

It still isn't count as campaign/battle bug.