Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Orc Warbosses are too squishy, and not orcy enuf

mightygloinmightygloin Posts: 1,373Registered Users
* Has only +264 more health than supposedly fragile Elf lords and totally human Empire Generals despite having the same Toughness as Dwarfs on TT. Unhealable as well. (Also valid for Azhag on foot)
* Only has 70 armor, which is same as some sniper rats.
* Has a huge shield, blocks only %35 of the shots from front. (oi boss just ditch that useless shield and grab a 'uge weapon?)
* His HP on Warboar is barely higher than e.g. a human general on horse. One would expect a Warboar riding Orc to be much more tougher than a human on a horse, especially when judging by both TT and lore. Hell even real life boars are extremely tough that hunters require special bullets with high penetration to kill them.

He doesn't seem like the biggest and baddest orc at all. Easy to kill, not really intimidating in combat. Going toe to toe with a totally human Empire General in a duel (both foot) also confirms this. It seems more like that the Warboss has the stats of an Orc Big boss hero right now. As you know Greenskins are very reliant on their leadership, and if i was an Orc Boy i would never follow this weakling :p

Is he forgotten and became one of the many victims of power creep? Or is he totally fine and i'm talking Doombullshit? His pickrate seems to be very low too.

Raise the price if need be, but #makewarbossgreatagain

Note: Wyvern mount is not included in this criticism observation, since any flying mount automatically skyrockets the impact of lords by design.

Comments

• KurnothHunterKurnothHunter Posts: 215Registered Users
    edited June 19

* Only has 70 armor, which is same as some sniper rats.

man, don't even start it
  • glosskilosglosskilos Posts: 1,160Registered Users
    I agree 100%. All orc warbosses need a large hp buff, and possible stats buffs as well. They should not be losing to the likes of Allarielle in a duel, that’s just a joke.
  • MrRipper707MrRipper707 Posts: 146Registered Users

I agree 100%. All orc warbosses need a large hp buff, and possible stats buffs as well. They should not be losing to the likes of Allarielle in a duel, that’s just a joke.

Do they really lose to allarielle? if so thats messed up.
  • ParmigianoParmigiano Posts: 750Registered Users

No it's just Alarielle reduce att/def to 40/24 every other lord on mount has same stats as that mount if it's a wizard.
  • ystyst Posts: 6,070Registered Users

Oh owned bad, lots of flyers get rekt by allariel on air. Even majority of those peg lords, terrandons, nightmares mounted character. And thats without tempest lol
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
    Unit stats compare courtesy of Seal62 https://total-war-unit-compare.herokuapp.com/
  • another505another505 Posts: 1,004Registered Users
    edited June 20
    yst said:

Oh owned bad, lots of flyers get rekt by allariel on air. Even majority of those peg lords, terrandons, nightmares mounted character. And thats without tempest lol
    considering she can self heal, phys resist on cast and passive, and cast pha's protection... ya i can imagine
  • ystyst Posts: 6,070Registered Users

considering she can self heal, phys resist on cast and passive, and cast pha's protection... ya i can imagine

No need actually, straight out melee vs melee fight. Tiktaq gets rekt by her without using any of his abilities if I remember correctly. Lots of others on peg as well

https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
    Unit stats compare courtesy of Seal62 https://total-war-unit-compare.herokuapp.com/
  • Green0Green0 Posts: 5,180Registered Users
    edited June 20
    yst said:

No need actually, straight out melee vs melee fight. Tiktaq gets rekt by her without using any of his abilities if I remember correctly. Lots of others on peg as well

pure nonsense really, people should check their facts if they want ANY hope of gaining credibility among the other forum members:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1100g Alarielle vs 1200g Orc Warboss (no items or abilities)

1100g Alarielle vs 850g Paladin (no items or abilities)

1100g Alarielle vs 950g General of the Empire (on DEFAULT horse, otherwise with barding it is even more 1-sided)

Granted, her true cost isn't 1100g since her default cost of 600g includes the fact that you'll likely bring spells on her... still, the fact that she's some sort of melee beast is simply false.

Tic Tac Toe is a dead even fight, probably RNG plays a big role here as well. Even so, FLC lords are generally a bit underpowered (not a hard rule, but you can see this trend), and also Tic Tac Toe relies a lot on his abilities to win fights. 900g vs 1100g. I'm also not sure the AI got the CB off, while in a battle vs a player you will realistically always get it.
    Post edited by Green0 on
  • OrkLadsOrkLads Posts: 1,382Registered Users
    Looking at his stats on foot he does seem a little overpriced in comparison
    Green0 said:

yst said:

pure nonsense really, people should check their facts if they want ANY hope of gaining credibility among the other forum members:

1100g Alarielle vs 950g General of the Empire (on DEFAULT horse, otherwise with barding it is even more 1-sided)

Granted, her true cost isn't 1100g since her default cost of 600g includes the fact that you'll likely bring spells on her... still, the fact that she's some sort of melee beast is simply false.

Tic Tac Toe is a dead even fight, probably RNG plays a big role here as well. Even so, FLC lords are generally a bit underpowered (not a hard rule, but you can see this trend), and also Tic Tac Toe relies a lot on his abilities to win fights. 900g vs 1100g.
    Little unusual test here, didn't YST say Alarielle beats a lot of flyers? Why were half on their flying mounts and half on their land mounts?

How does Alarielle do against an Orc Warboss on a Wyvern & General of the Empire on a Pegasus?
  • Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Posts: 7,773Registered Users
    OrkLads said:

Green0 said:

yst said:

Tic Tac Toe is a dead even fight, probably RNG plays a big role here as well. Even so, FLC lords are generally a bit underpowered (not a hard rule, but you can see this trend), and also Tic Tac Toe relies a lot on his abilities to win fights. 900g vs 1100g.
    Little unusual test here, didn't YST say Alarielle beats a lot of flyers? Why were half on their flying mounts and half on their land mounts?

How does Alarielle do against an Orc Warboss on a Wyvern & General of the Empire on a Pegasus?
    I assume its because he wanted to show close cost comparison, on wyvern its likely much worse performance by allaiel (correct me if im wrong), but its not a surprise yst is writing flase statements again.

On topic though i do feel orc warboss needs help and there should be a black orc warboss thats immune to psychology.

Give Grimgor and Orc Warboss around +400 HP would be a nice start.
    OrkLads said:

Green0 said:

yst said:

I tested vs cavalry-sized mounts because it she can't win vs that while getting her massive CB of ~60 iirc, then by extension she can't win vs Pegasus lords since there she will get counter-charged (something the AI doesn't do).

I'd assume vs Wyvern lord it's not even a close fight. vs General of Empire on a Pegasus, well I'd assume it's roughly Paladin type of performance? I just tested 4 that I found representative.
  • OrkLadsOrkLads Posts: 1,382Registered Users

OrkLads said:

Green0 said:

yst said:

I assume its because he wanted to show close cost comparison, on wyvern its likely much worse performance by allaiel (correct me if im wrong), but its not a surprise yst is writing flase statements again.

On topic though i do feel orc warboss needs help and there should be a black orc warboss thats immune to psychology.

General of the Empire on a horse is 850 though, on barded is 950, on peg is 1150. So Peg would make a lot more sense if that were the case.

And besides that, comparing how flyers compare to each other in the air is a lot more relevant in this case because Alarielle has access to land mounts. If it was testing for Morathi I could maybe understand it, but here it seems like a very odd decision especially when the comment it responds to specifies flyers.
  • Lotus_MoonLotus_Moon Posts: 7,773Registered Users
    OrkLads said:

OrkLads said:

Green0 said:

yst said:

General of the Empire on a horse is 850 though, on barded is 950, on peg is 1150. So Peg would make a lot more sense if that were the case.

And besides that, comparing how flyers compare to each other in the air is a lot more relevant in this case because Alarielle has access to land mounts. If it was testing for Morathi I could maybe understand it, but here it seems like a very odd decision especially when the comment it responds to specifies flyers.
    I think she should be trading well with peg general of the empire to be honest or other units in that cost range (her without abilities and spells), if she doesnt bring spells/abilities theres no reason for her to have lower stats for same cost.
    edited June 20
    OrkLads said:

OrkLads said:

Green0 said:

yst said:

my comment got somehow deleted, anyway the reason to test vs horse is to choose the worst possible case, if you can't beat a horse, by extension you generally can't beat a Pegasus/Wyvern since there you will 100% get to charge back (flyer vs flyer) and better stats generally.

Also, you have to consider the fact that Alarielle doesn't truly cost 1100g on her Eagle, probably a bit less since mage lords are a bit overpriced if you pick them only for the stats.

Anyway, back on topic, the Orc Warboss seems a bit overpriced for 1200g on Boar.

I was thinking, what if Orc Warboss had an anti-magic item? So that GS could solve those 2-3 matchups where your lord gets SL’d to death (VC, Chaos...).

Something like 200g, +66% magic resistance for himself only.
    Post edited by Green0 on
  • TlaxtlanSoothsayerTlaxtlanSoothsayer Posts: 2,298Registered Users
    edited June 20
    The Orc Waaaghboss and Azagh cost exactly the same (on foot and on a Wyvern, too).

It's strange, because Azagh is a spellcaster and provides some additional utility, the Orc Waaaghboss doesn't bring anything interesting to the table. The way I see it, is that there is rarely a reason to bring the Orc Waaaghboss at all.

Let's say you want to use a Night Goblin Shaman or Orc Shaman as your main spellcaster. It's still questionable if the Orc Waaaghboss would be a good choice in this case, because you can simply bring Azagh for the same cost instead and pick a cheap and really useful spell such as Spirit Leech on top of that.

The Orc Waaaghboss either needs to be cheaper or needs an interesting ability or needs to be a better fighter.
  • Godefroy_de_BouillonGodefroy_de_Bouillon Posts: 1,744Registered Users
    o yeah it's the same issue as Bretonnian Lords, who brings them?

• rymeintrinsecarymeintrinseca Posts: 548Registered Users
    Generic non-caster WH1 lords are largely a waste of roster space (WEs main exception), as of course are non-caster footlords generally.

If these issues should be solved (which is debatable - I like seeing LLs on the field personally) it should be across factions, rather than in piecemeal fashion.
  • Ares354Ares354 Posts: 1,958Registered Users

Oy, let just remove foot squires if you want Bretonnia Lord to be better fighters, let be lorefull here.
    Ares354 said:

Oy, let just remove foot squires if you want Bretonnia Lord to be better fighters, let be lorefull here.
    let's not go that route please. Buffing the Bretonnian Lord wouldn't make Brets OP and Brets could use a bit of help right now vs 2-3 factions in the game like Lizardmen or Norsca.
    Ares354 said:

what has one thing to do with the other?

I just pointed out there are faction with garbage fighting generic Lords, and Orcs arr not an exeptions here.
  • DandalusXVIIDandalusXVII Posts: 4,167Registered Users
    Agreed with op, warboss and in general any bad lorewise implemented units need to be remade to fit their nature.
  • WojmirVonCarsteinWojmirVonCarstein Posts: 698Registered Users
    Warboss is absolutely terrible on foot since if you want a good fighting lord on foot you go with Grimgor. If you want a really cheap one with some tricks up his leeve you go with night gobbo big boss. If you want some sneaky shinenigans you go with skarsnik. Heck even Azhag on foot is better melee fighter and costs the same, not to menion he is also a caster and has better abilities.

Putting Warboss on Wyvern is bad to because Azgag is so much better.

The only possible use for this guy is on boar because there are no other melee greenskin lords on horse (boar).
    But I much prefer the night gobbo on squig for much more utility, lower cost and more survivability (because of the much better speed + tormentor sword + spite of da bad moon that can make you invulnerable to missile from front and let you take the charge of large things from the front like a champ.

I guess with the orc boss you can try something like warboss on boar + orc shaman on boar with ere we go + 2-4 boar boyz (savage and or big uns) for some kind of surprising alpha strike on a flank.

Actually, I will try that today in a few QBs just for Lolz but I don't think it's very competitive.

• EnergyzedEnergyzed Posts: 301Registered Users
    Im not completly sure that Orcwarboss is that bad. I mean, stat-wise it seems to me that you are getting what you are paying for and a direct comparison to Azhag just proves how cost-efficient Azhag is (as all LL lords should be to their generic counterparts).
    However, its true that he doesnt bring anything special to pick him over any other lord. Maybe giving him access to stand your ground opens a bit of room to pick him.
  • keroro7keroro7 Posts: 220Registered Users
    edited June 20
    mistake. so I edit :wink:
    Post edited by keroro7 on
  • keroro7keroro7 Posts: 220Registered Users
    Limiting the general situation.

top-tier lord = hybrid

Below it is a pure caster, a bowman, a tanker, an assassin (ranged)/assassin (melee).
    I think that it is meaningless to say tier with the others because various types are used in various ways.
    However, I think that it is the most difficult to use, and it is bad what strong only it self in the melee assassin type lords.

For HE, for example, most hard to see lord would be Tyrion.
    It's not that he's got a bad stats. Failure to ride the dragon is only a secondary issues.
    The biggest problem is that his items do not contribute much to HE's business. (There are many ways to solve vs SEM, but now i say only for items.)
    I will explain why I make this claim against other races.

Let's look at LZ.
    Assassin (melee) Lord are Kroq-gar / old blood saurus. Recently, the trend is to use more Old blood saurus than Kroq-gar.
    The effect of god-hand eating nerf, but I think the item that old blood saurus has it cause this state.
    In this case, the legendary lord and the general lord is reversed pick rate when i think.

And let's look at DE.
    The dread-lord (cross-bow) is a good lord. You can shoot an arrow, and the item also has a range shot enhancement effect.
    Here we can see that even if he does not have the skills as good as the WE lady, the lord who can shoot the bow will not be at least thrown away.
    Good evidence.

The following is Tomb-king.
    The general has debuffs item. However, it is not very good, it is rarely used.

Let's look at the Empire now.

Boris = King of survival, Area debuff
    Arch-lector = ?(but cheap),Area buff
    Karl = Assasin(melee),Area buff
    Volk = King of Survival, Area Buff
    ? = Sucks

Yes, the general lord and his item who only strengthens himself. so it abandoned.

oh, It is difficult to write, so cut and organize here.

to sum it up
    Except for the bowman, Caster, Survivors

Only melee [Assassin] is right to give radius buffs or debuffs, i mean area buff like other useful lords.
    It does not matter whether it is a skill or an item. also lord's price is adjusted according to the item price.

Of course, it should be modified to the extent that it is not stronger than the legendary lords.

After I finish writing, the GS legend lords worries about it, but maybe it'll be fine because both avatars WAAAAAGHHH system favored or give him more poooweeer.
  • WojmirVonCarsteinWojmirVonCarstein Posts: 698Registered Users
    Energyzed said:

stat-wise it seems to me that you are getting what you are paying for and a direct comparison to Azhag just proves how cost-efficient Azhag is (as all LL lords should be to their generic counterparts).

I very strongly disagree with this philosophy.

legendary lords should be more powerful than generic lords and bring something unique to the table (they become legendary/well -known for a reason). But, they should also cost more and their cost-efficiency should be the same as the generic lords. To be honest, I would even argue that paying something like 5% premium for having access to something unique (like death magic for GS) would be a good idea. What I mean is it would be OK for me if Azhag cost 5% more than he should if he were the same cost efficiency as all other generic lords.

Heck we could even have legendary lords which are worse than regular lords but cheaper. As long as cost efficiency is the same.

otherwise, there is no reason to pick generic lord over legendary ones. I think all units should be equally viable in general (not in specific match ups were some units/combos will be better than others)

I have the same philosophy for ROR. They should be more powerful and unique compared to generic unit, but should not be more cost efficient, as that would mean auto-pick vs generic unit.

Here is an examples of ROR that is auto-pick vs generic unit
    Night goblin squig hoppers ROR. They cost only 100g more (15% more) than generic unit, but have 9 chevrons plus 25% missile resist. No point in ever taking generic unit if you want a night goblin squiq hopper

This should never be the case. Either night goblins squig hoppers are too expensive or generic is too cheap (or a little bit of both)

• ParmigianoParmigiano Posts: 750Registered Users
    Alarielle is stronger than Eagle by too much, and too close to Princess on Eagle for melee, those tests show it.

That is why the rate of usage of Alarielle on Eagle was too high.

Orc Warboss melee was equivalent for the cost to General of the Empire in those tests.
  • Ares354Ares354 Posts: 1,958Registered Users
    edited June 20
    Green0 said:

Ares354 said:

let's not go that route please. Buffing the Bretonnian Lord wouldn't make Brets OP and Brets could use a bit of help right now vs 2-3 factions in the game like Lizardmen or Norsca.
    You cant buff just Lords, and expect army wont change with this. There is reason why so many people dont want buff for Hellstrom rocket battery and so on. Some faction have bad Lord becasue other thing make up for them.

You cant buff units in vacuum.
    ANd what would break buffing useless Bretonnian Lord or Orc warboss?
    Ares354 said:

Green0 said:

Ares354 said:

You cant buff just Lords, and expect army wont change with this. There is reason why so many people dont want buff for Hellstrom rocket battery and so on. Some faction have bad Lord becasue other thing make up for them.

You cant buff units in vacuum.
    I agree with this, but Bretonnia is struggling at the moment, while Empire is definitely not. Also lord choices compete with other lord choices internally, while if we buff something like say Hellstorm, the enemies of the Empire will need to guess among 3-4 artillery pieces, what the Empire will bring.

Anyway, totally off topic.