Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Starving Enemy Faction to rebellion not possible?

SchusselSchussel Posts: 743Registered Users
I thought that I could make the enemy starve to create unrest and destroy the faction in that way
so I started to capture his Ricefields, Farms, Cattleranches and Fishing harbours

It doesn't work I got a spy in his faction so I see his treasury and Food

His food goes down after I captured 2 farms to -17 next turn it is again at +4 and his treasury did increase
next turn 1rice field and a cattle ranche food down to -23
one turn later food at +3 and his treasury again higher
after that another cattle farm food down to -12
one turn later food at 4 and treasur again higher than before....

Okay he can buy the food from other factions but shouldn't at least go his treasure down?

Do I just have bad luck or is it somehow not possible to get the enemy down on his knees by destroying/capturing his food production?

Comments

• Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Posts: 1,993Registered Users
    I believe it is intended for you to be able to do that... but more work needs to be done to refine the process. We should be able to capture enemy food production areas, to create strategic disasters to the enemy's public order thus creating rebellions in their provinces when they have no food. However... this does not stop them from Trading for Food... and I believe that we should be able to work on disrupting that as well.

It would be lovely if Trade and external traded Food can be disrupted by locking down the roads or territory of an enemy, by land and by sea. Occupying trade routes that would stop external trade and food from entering a territory, thus starving the enemy state of income and food. This should cause the enemy state to "starve out" and force them to make a decision: To come and and liberate their trade routes or to attempt to wrestle control of their own internal food production areas.

"I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • markp27markp27 Posts: 1,295Registered Users
    His treasury would not go down if he is trading ancillaries for food.
  • Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Posts: 1,993Registered Users
    markp27 said:

His treasury would not go down if he is trading ancillaries for food.

Perhaps there could be a "delivery" system put in place with a percentage chance depending on how far it is and where it is that it takes 5 turns for the sale of an ancillary to actually commence and in that time, it could be captured/destroyed in transit... though really I think it's better to leave some loopholes in the game... it is a game after all and too much realism (just like too much fantasy) ruins it.
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 2,454Registered Users
    I agree, I've seen several instances where the AI is chugging along perfectly fine despite having literally no food. It's another instance the AI not playing by the same rules and not being penalized for things that would seriously hamper the player.
  • iriyasiriyas Posts: 59Registered Users
    OK this was what i was planning to take out the biggest AI threat so it doesn't work. thanks for the heads up
  • SchusselSchussel Posts: 743Registered Users
    I don't know if it doesn't work
    at least its not so easy as expected.

but considering this guy has 1 xLvl 10 City 2x Lvl 8 4x Lvl 7 1x Lvl5 and 3x Lvl 4 Cities
    and has laft 1 fishing harbour, 2 Cattle Ranches 2x Crop Farms and 0 Rice...
    I was expecting unrest or problems in less than 1 year but he still is doing fine maybe it takes longer for his people to start starving...
    Schussel said:

I don't know if it doesn't work
    at least its not so easy as expected.

but considering this guy has 1 xLvl 10 City 2x Lvl 8 4x Lvl 7 1x Lvl5 and 3x Lvl 4 Cities
    and has laft 1 fishing harbour, 2 Cattle Ranches 2x Crop Farms and 0 Rice...
    I was expecting unrest or problems in less than 1 year but he still is doing fine maybe it takes longer for his people to start starving...

Can I ask which faction he is from?
  • dreagondreagon Senior Member Posts: 1,910Registered Users
    What are the penalties for a food shortage? Do they get worse? I've only had minor food shortages early game because of those random -5 food events and the consequences weren't that bad.
    "The dog is a peasant and the cat is a gentleman." H.P. Lovecraft
  • PhillyPhan321@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 43Registered Users
    Maybe the AI has built a lot of high level Grain Storage buildings? Don't they make it so that you can store up food so that if you ever go negative your cities can last for a long time with you on negative food?

Maybe the AI has built a lot of high level Grain Storage buildings? Don't they make it so that you can store up food so that if you ever go negative your cities can last for a long time with you on negative food?

Yep they do, plus depends on how loyal the people were before you start too. So even if you run them out of food you have to wait for that to go down.
  • street_regulatorstreet_regulator Posts: 162Registered Users

I agree, I've seen several instances where the AI is chugging along perfectly fine despite having literally no food. It's another instance the AI not playing by the same rules and not being penalized for things that would seriously hamper the player.

This shows up in a lot of aspects of the game.

Like faction 1 makes a deal with faction 2 that grossly favors faction 1, but it would never be possible for a player to make a deal like that.

A faction with ~12 settlements that has a food shortage, but also has 14 armies & 50k gold/9k per turn.

A faction with several vassals that regularly breaks treaties & annexes vassals, but somehow their vassals are still loyal to them & other factions still trust them.

None of these things are possible for a player. I understand giving the AI these advantages is part of the challenge, but it still feels like it's only a challenge because they're allowed to cheat (not a satisfying challenge).
  • iriyasiriyas Posts: 59Registered Users
    "A faction with ~12 settlements that has a food shortage, but also has 14 armies & 50k gold/9k per turn.

A faction with several vassals that regularly breaks treaties & annexes vassals, but somehow their vassals are still loyal to them & other factions still trust them."

these 2 can probably be explained by the AI being able to make more efficient trade deals with its allies and vassals

also the players threat level probably outweighs any treachery the AI faction generates.