Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

This forum is dead. What the hell?

Comments

• Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Posts: 1,351Registered Users

Dead, is it? Too bad, I just joined.
    Anyway, which is doing better sales-wise, 3K or WH?

Thankfully, being "dead" never seems to stop many around here. Next DLC gets released, this place will be like a spring meadow again. Nagash himself might be jealous.

3K sold a million copies in less than a week, apparently. The Warhammer games have done very well, but the Chinese market seem to be on-board with 3K and that'll potentially put it through the stratosphere. It's a good thing for CA. Hopefully, it'll be good for Warhammer too.
  • uriakuriak Posts: 3,421Registered Users
    edited June 28
    It's the type of events that allows all kind of conclusions

-> now they will focus only on chinese market
    -> it proves warhammer/fantasy wasn't the game changer
    -> chinese sales aren't sold at the same prince and WH may be still more profitable
    -> all those profits will be reinjected into other CA projects
    -> 3K proves campaign can be what sells the game rather than battles
    -> we are yet to see if people won't get bored of chinese vs chinese soon instead of varied cultures/species

and you may consider it's good or bad news for TWW either way.
    uriak said:

It's the type of events that allows all kind of conclusions

-> now they will focus only on chinese market
    -> it proves warhammer/fantasy wasn't the game changer
    -> chinese sales aren't sold at the same prince and WH may be still more profitable
    -> all those profits will be reinjected into other CA projects
    -> 3K proves campaign can be what sells the game rather than battles
    -> we are yet to see if people won't get bored of chinese vs chinese soon instead of varied cultures/species

and you may consider it's good or bad news for TWW either way.

I agree there are two ways to look at it. If £10 on 3K yields £20 and £10 on Warhammer yields £15, 3K is a better investment. That said, there is only so much you can invest on one product to avoid over-saturation. If you have the resources, you wanna invest in both.
  • amon_chakaiamon_chakai Posts: 162Registered Users
    edited June 28
    Unfortunately it's true. It's usually bad news for the western consumer when companies starting sucking up to the Chinese market, see Google, Apple, Hollywood etc.
  • psychoakpsychoak Posts: 2,371Registered Users
    Starcraft is multiplayer specific with a much larger community, and isn't split between multiple platforms.

With as heavy handed as the moderation here is, you have a very large presence. Your off topic forum is dead as a door nail and any kind of flame wars, politics, etc, ends in moderator actions. There are zero secondary reasons to form a community and post back and forth here. :)
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 4,410Registered Users
    The forum was bound to go a little quiet, I'm still keeping my eye on the place for news on the latest LL pack. as soon as something is released the forums will be back to normal.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,843Registered Users
    If you think this forum is dead than you've never been on a dead forum.
  • FossowayFossoway Posts: 2,398Registered Users
    You know, the sad part is that they are probably going to go on holiday soon, if they are not already. Meaning we won't probably get anything until at the very least September.

The least they could do is keep the hype alive by giving us a taste of what's to come...
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 7,241Registered Users
    Monoculture TW games get boring so gd fast. Attila had a similar problem, in that they consolidated large swathes into like-cultural groups. For as many factions as that game had you only really got like, what, 6-8 different themes? And some of those were just about the same, too. Thrones of Britannia I won't even touch, talk about boring.

That's why I only have 172 hrs in Shogun2, 58 in Attila, but 1663 in Rome 2, 960 in Warhammer 1, and 1128 in Warhammer 2...... and Medieval 1/2, and Rome? Dear God. I don't even want to venture a guess. I'm glad I didn't have steam back then tracking the number of hours I wasted in games.

3K has some really good features, yes. The campaign play is much improved. But DAMN it got boring fast. Everything's the same. Like... I want those improvements in a grander scale game. Bring them to Rome 2, or Warhammer, or make some big ass global total war or something (imagine a medieval 3 stretching from france to china! wow!).

China's a big setting sure, but the factions within it just aren't diverse enough to hold my attention for very long; same deal with the TOB map - it's a big map of England, but it's still just England ffs. Rome 2 and Warhammer spoiled me.
  • amon_chakaiamon_chakai Posts: 162Registered Users
    *whispers in a quiet corner* "...Medieval 3"
    The diplomacy will be complicated though. At best it could be improved between some sub groups or reasonnable factions. Forget marriages and stuff of the kind in warhammer.

But, improving economy/recruitement into something less simplistic (well it works, but in early game imho)

• TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,590Registered Users

I'm antsy too, but Jesus, people need to act with a bit of dignity here. I can't remember ever thinking that StarCraft was "DEAD!!!111one!!" because Blizzard hadn't pumped out an expansion pack in a while.

I know it's an old-fashioned mentality, but I refuse to let my gaming hobby be dictated by the whims of a developer.

Take breaks, come back. Or not.

Good point, and there is an additional Warhammer games out there, like Vermintide 2. :)

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-ii-and-vermintide-ii-cross-promotion/
  • ReeksReeks Posts: 2,009Registered Users
    uriak said:

The diplomacy will be complicated though. At best it could be improved between some sub groups or reasonnable factions. Forget marriages and stuff of the kind in warhammer.

But, improving economy/recruitement into something less simplistic (well it works, but in early game imho)

NO!.........I know in my heart of hearts that Felix wish for nothing else than to merge with Ulrika in the holy act of matrimony........I know it!
    edited June 28
    Reeks said:

uriak said:

NO!.........I know in my heart of hearts that Felix wish for nothing else than to merge with Ulrika in the holy act of matrimony........I know it!
    Their End Times resolution was like taking my favourite clothes and cutting them up with scissors, smashing my laptop and taking my dog. Damn you Suzie!!

Just kidding. I don't know anyone called Suzie. Honestly.
  • SephlockSephlock Posts: 2,018Registered Users

Unfortunately it's true. It's usually bad news for the western consumer when companies starting sucking up to the Chinese market, see Google, Apple, Hollywood etc.

#JusticeForUshoran #RuneGolems #RuneGuardians #ShardDragons #Thunderbarges #Stormfiends #BigMonsters #MoreDakka
  • Bonutz619Bonutz619 Posts: 1,007Registered Users
    Didn't expect anything less with 3K eating up all the glory. Once another lord pack rolls around though, this forum will be bristling again.
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 5,081Registered Users
    3K success=dead Warhammer.

It's almost like we had anticipated this...
    adrianM said:

MrMecH said:

Itharus said:

Cuz they killed the product I enjoyed for the sake of an inferior product that's not as enjoyable.

Inferior product that is currently the best seller of franchise..........
    It's a best seller because 70% of the customers are from the targeted audience, as in chinese audience . For the rest of us the whole Dong Hu , Ji Ka and whatever the hell Liili Caca means little (baring a few exceptions ) and is as interesting on the long term as documentary about shellfish.

But in the end numbers matter , and 1 million chinese dudes buying it means that 3K is the top dog now, all hands on deck to make DLC's for it. Better find another franchise for fantasy strategy games fast, before they all figure out what sells today :)
    I suggest keeping an eye on Fantasy General II
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,836Registered Users
    Xenos7 said:

Nothing says "dead" like multiple DLC and another game on the way.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Posts: 3,132Registered Users
    Xenos7 said:

Your predictions have fallen pretty short at every lul and every turn around.

Going to be in Warhammer 3, "I really wasn't that wrong guys. I might have to redefine abandoned, dead, or maybe we can go with slightly neglected."
    I deplore the lack of communication, but so far nothing indicates that warhammer is dead. It could have been said at many of the inter dlc periods of the last year.

The difference being we know TWW3 has been in preproduction for a while now, so it's hard to say what's still coming up for the 2nd game.
  • cugexebudcugexebud Posts: 32Registered Users
    In light of all the posts asking about updates on wh, and all the silence think it's obvious that all resources are now going to TK. TK just reached wh2 sales in less then month ( wh2 was available for more then 2 years), don't think anyone expected it to be such a huge success not even CA and obviously now there will be a strong focus on it: patches, dlcs - more people own it more dlcs will sell and so on, tk2 or 4k ... or more focus on this area

As for WH think most of the previous news isn't relevant anymore, priorities and objectives change, think now even wh3 future is uncertain will probably be put on an indefinite hiatus or even canceled ? (not like companies haven't done this before) hard to say ... it was fun while it lasted, but think it's normal to focus on bigger products

This even shows in the updates the last update the Amethyst seemed to be something rushed, introduced more bugs then it fixed and AI acts like an idiot ... even more then before...
  • ItharusItharus Senior Member Posts: 7,241Registered Users
    3k isnt even a bigger product. It's more restrictive in scope. It's replay value is poor unless you just really, really, REALLY dig a narrow slice of Chinese history.

It sucks in the way TOB sucks... scope.
  • GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 3,244Registered Users
    cugexebud said:

In light of all the posts asking about updates on wh, and all the silence think it's obvious that all resources are now going to TK. TK just reached wh2 sales in less then month ( wh2 was available for more then 2 years), don't think anyone expected it to be such a huge success not even CA and obviously now there will be a strong focus on it: patches, dlcs - more people own it more dlcs will sell and so on, tk2 or 4k ... or more focus on this area

As for WH think most of the previous news isn't relevant anymore, priorities and objectives change, think now even wh3 future is uncertain will probably be put on an indefinite hiatus or even canceled ? (not like companies haven't done this before) hard to say ... it was fun while it lasted, but think it's normal to focus on bigger products

This even shows in the updates the last update the Amethyst seemed to be something rushed, introduced more bugs then it fixed and AI acts like an idiot ... even more then before...

WH2 hasn't been out for 2 years yet.

Why would 3K success mean dropping WH, 3K is out now, we will probably not get another historical game for 3-4 years, outside of a 3K rehash (in the style of Attilla), and at this point it won't require the resources that 3K needed in its last phase of production, and neither would a psuedo-sequel as the foundation is already in place. If only there were a bestselling project to work on in the meantime, especially one which is already partially complete with one and a half to 2 years of development already in it.

Seriously though, CA is a fairly large company, whilst its focus is understandably on 3K it is capable of pursuing more than 1 project - 3K is finished, patching and DLC is very unlikely to require the resources that finishing a troubled (as indicated by delays) major title did, and CA is not a "sequel every year" company, so whilst we will likely get an "Attilla-style" game sometime soonish, we aren't going to be bombarded with 3K sequels and spinnoffs from here till eternity.

Doom and gloom tends to be unwarranted, I mean look at WH1's release; it was CA's bestselling game as I recall, did they then say "OK we're abandoning historical"? No, of course they didn't, why then when we know a 3rd game is in production, in a series that has consistantly been in Steam topsellers, would they abandon it when they are quite capable of working on both (3K was probably in production well before WH2, perhaps even before WH1 was released or even announced).

Could the Amethyst update been a little rushed because they might have had their attention on something else? Perhaps a major title release that had been delayed twice already? This really isn't evidence of anything other than CA sensibly prioritising a major release over a patch with some FLC.

If you want a better look at the state of WH support look at P&W, the best LP by miles released a month before the huge 3K release, if that doesn't scream that WH is still in full swing (even if it's releases are frustratingly slow) I don't know what possibly could.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,836Registered Users
    cugexebud said:

I don't get this logic. 3K was a success therefore the successful TWW series will be cancelled mid production? It doesn't work. CA aren't going to throw away that money.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • chrissher7chrissher7 Junior Member Posts: 2,038Registered Users
    edited June 29
    MrMecH said:

Itharus said:

Cuz they killed the product I enjoyed for the sake of an inferior product that's not as enjoyable.

Entirely undeservedly it is a decent game but not even in the same league as this game and never is because it is historical even with elements of it like duels between heroes.

• chrissher7chrissher7 Junior Member Posts: 2,038Registered Users
    edited June 29
    adrianM said:

MrMecH said:

Itharus said:

It's a best seller because 70% of the customers are from the targeted audience, as in chinese audience . For the rest of us the whole Dong Hu , Ji Ka and whatever the hell Liili Caca means little (baring a few exceptions ) and is as interesting on the long term as documentary about shellfish.

But in the end numbers matter , and 1 million chinese dudes buying it means that 3K is the top dog now, all hands on deck to make DLC's for it. Better find another franchise for fantasy strategy games fast, before they all figure out what sells today :)
    I mean it apparently sold well in the us as well which is baffling considering how much better warhammer just looks as a game.

• FungusHoundFungusHound Posts: 2,459Registered Users
    Lol what is wrong with people? The forums have been like this everytime there is a lull in info. Its going to be super busy when we are getting Lord Pack stuff and likely also getting Game 3 info.

And then historical people will be complaining about their games being dead and the cycle will continue
    Nyxilis said:

Xenos7 said:

Your predictions have fallen pretty short at every lul and every turn around.

Going to be in Warhammer 3, "I really wasn't that wrong guys. I might have to redefine abandoned, dead, or maybe we can go with slightly neglected."
    Oh you sweet summer child...
    Goatforce said:

Doom and gloom tends to be unwarranted, I mean look at WH1's release; it was CA's bestselling game as I recall, did they then say "OK we're abandoning historical"? No, of course they didn't, why then when we know a 3rd game is in production, in a series that has consistantly been in Steam topsellers, would they abandon it when they are quite capable of working on both (3K was probably in production well before WH2, perhaps even before WH1 was released or even announced).

Your analysis is missing a key point: historical games are much cheaper to produce. CA wasn't going to abandon historical games because they were looking for the best case scenario: a cheaper game selling more. Now they have it, so no point is pushing other games. I anticipate a smaller WH3 will be the last fantasy game from this company.