Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

This forum is dead. What the hell?

13»

Comments

  • GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 3,288Registered Users
    edited June 29

    Your analysis is missing a key point: historical games are much cheaper to produce. CA wasn't going to abandon historical games because they were looking for the best case scenario: a cheaper game selling more. Now they have it, so no point is pushing other games. I anticipate a smaller WH3 will be the last fantasy game from this company.
    As is yours, we are getting towards 2 years since game 2 launched, a large proportion of development time and money has already likely been sunk into game 3.

    You are also ignoring the fact that a company can have more than one product. Historical games arrive, will often get a spin off and then it is several years till the next (as I outlined in my earlier post). CA has proven themselves to be quite capable of simultaniously producing 2 major titles, even if - when one went off the rails- it seemingly impacted the work on the other significantly. There is, therefore, a gap in releases; which can be filled with the WH series which is proven to be highly successful.

    Another point, 3K is likely to get a sequel (and a spinnoff in the next couple of years), however CA has a track record of moving on to different periods and areas. 3K may very well be lightning in a bottle for them, I very much doubt they are planning to become a game-a-year 3K producing sequel machine. However even if they do the foundations are set, they will not need the same resources to produce sequels, leaving some slack, WH is again the logical place to devote these resources as it is a proven success.

    Given that setting every future historical game in or around China is highly unlikely we arive back at the issue of keeping the Chinese audience, you are right that historical is cheaper but the success of this game is likely the targeting of the Chinese market, historical games set in other periods and locations will not command the same sway over this demographic and thus this may not be the golden goose you think it is, CA has always moved on, you cannot guarantee China will move with them.

    There is also the possibility that CA will attempt to capture China further by including Cathay in game 3, given the success of 3K it is possible that they might wish to and that GW will allow it given the potential payoff. Even without that there may well be spillover, in which new TW players will begin to discover the other TW games including WH.

    Saying "Historical is cheaper" and then leaping to "no point to pushing other games" just because a single, and I repeat a single, game has outsold WH is a gross oversimplification, especially given that there is every possibility that this will not be replicated in future historical titles.
  • alex33alex33 Posts: 1,079Registered Users
    for Hekatis sake you guys always overreact so damn much. Trying to downplay the best selling TW because "blah blah Chinese market" is pretty dumb. Dynasty Warriors has a big international fanbase... Shogun 2 is always lauded as one if not the best TW and this was even more restrictive and mono cultural as 3K. I totally get problems like the utter lack of communication from CA, lack of information, the missing free dlc chart but calling that WH is now dead forever cause 3K does well is really childish. You are more doom and gloom than the Eldar ya'll need to take a chill pill.
  • FinishingLastFinishingLast Posts: 4,142Registered Users
    Xenos7 said:

    Goatforce said:

    Doom and gloom tends to be unwarranted, I mean look at WH1's release; it was CA's bestselling game as I recall, did they then say "OK we're abandoning historical"? No, of course they didn't, why then when we know a 3rd game is in production, in a series that has consistantly been in Steam topsellers, would they abandon it when they are quite capable of working on both (3K was probably in production well before WH2, perhaps even before WH1 was released or even announced).

    Your analysis is missing a key point: historical games are much cheaper to produce. CA wasn't going to abandon historical games because they were looking for the best case scenario: a cheaper game selling more. Now they have it, so no point is pushing other games. I anticipate a smaller WH3 will be the last fantasy game from this company.
    You do seem to have a strong grasp on how companies hate having more than one product selling well. Why have two games selling 3.5 million copies when you can have one selling 2 million. That’s just how you make more money!
    Later
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,772Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Thread has moved from the OP's topic into a general business discussion. Moved to TW Chat.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 10,201Registered Users
    in regards of "They might just cancel Game3!!!"... CA has a deal with GWs... if that deal includes the making of a trilogy, CA renegading on that deal might cause GWs to sue their arse off.
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

    CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

    Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?

    GHAL MARAZ IS THE WEAPON OF THE SETTING! YET SOME BRETONNIAN SWORD IS MORE POTENT?! BUFF GHAL MARAZ IN SIGMAR'S NAME!
  • SephlockSephlock Posts: 2,054Registered Users
    At this point, turning this into a minigame of getting the mods to shift this to every single subform before finally bringing it back to total war general would be more fun.
    #JusticeForUshoran #RuneGolems #RuneGuardians #ShardDragons #Thunderbarges #Stormfiends #BigMonsters #MoreDakka
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,597Registered Users
    dreagon said:

    Just play something else for a while and then come back. Usually that works for me if I've played a game to much.

    Yea, players don't need to be obsessive about an single game, there is many games out there, including other games who take part in the same setting, not all of them are good, but some are good. :)

    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Franchise/Warhammer
  • LoffenmeisterLoffenmeister Posts: 88Registered Users
    Well its 2 months since we had a proper update and so we are in the middle of the usual "no news for 4 or so months after a dlc" and so the forum has died down quite a bit. It will probably blow up again as soon as we get some new content news.
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,597Registered Users
    Vildvarg said:

    From what I hear CA favors the undead, so that makes sense.

    Yep, and I heard that they are working on 3K while they are waiting for Bloodlines 2's release. :)

  • GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 3,288Registered Users

    in regards of "They might just cancel Game3!!!"... CA has a deal with GWs... if that deal includes the making of a trilogy, CA renegading on that deal might cause GWs to sue their arse off.

    Tbh, the idea of rolling back on the quality is in the same ball-park, there is an established standard, if they cost cut and push out something half-arsed they risk backlash and lost sales, which ain't good in a series that is probably quite expensive to produce for. Think we can expect at least game 2 quality (which is fine), though they should hopefully be making a decent few steps forward to justify the full price of the game - one of my biggest hopes is integration of the tech that the Lab uses, should really improve performance and they might be able to up the scale using it.
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,597Registered Users
    cugexebud said:

    In light of all the posts asking about updates on wh, and all the silence think it's obvious that all resources are now going to TK. TK just reached wh2 sales in less then month ( wh2 was available for more then 2 years), don't think anyone expected it to be such a huge success not even CA and obviously now there will be a strong focus on it: patches, dlcs - more people own it more dlcs will sell and so on, tk2 or 4k ... or more focus on this area

    As for WH think most of the previous news isn't relevant anymore, priorities and objectives change, think now even wh3 future is uncertain will probably be put on an indefinite hiatus or even canceled ? (not like companies haven't done this before) hard to say ... it was fun while it lasted, but think it's normal to focus on bigger products

    This even shows in the updates the last update the Amethyst seemed to be something rushed, introduced more bugs then it fixed and AI acts like an idiot ... even more then before...

    Yes there was an bug even with the Amethyst Wizard, a bug that could had been avoided easily.
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,597Registered Users
    Itharus said:

    3k isnt even a bigger product. It's more restrictive in scope. It's replay value is poor unless you just really, really, REALLY dig a narrow slice of Chinese history.

    It sucks in the way TOB sucks... scope.

    Narrow? well but making a game that is focused on a single country also has some benefits.
  • Xenos7Xenos7 Posts: 5,118Registered Users

    Xenos7 said:

    Goatforce said:

    Doom and gloom tends to be unwarranted, I mean look at WH1's release; it was CA's bestselling game as I recall, did they then say "OK we're abandoning historical"? No, of course they didn't, why then when we know a 3rd game is in production, in a series that has consistantly been in Steam topsellers, would they abandon it when they are quite capable of working on both (3K was probably in production well before WH2, perhaps even before WH1 was released or even announced).

    Your analysis is missing a key point: historical games are much cheaper to produce. CA wasn't going to abandon historical games because they were looking for the best case scenario: a cheaper game selling more. Now they have it, so no point is pushing other games. I anticipate a smaller WH3 will be the last fantasy game from this company.
    You do seem to have a strong grasp on how companies hate having more than one product selling well. Why have two games selling 3.5 million copies when you can have one selling 2 million. That’s just how you make more money!
    It's more "why have a costlier and a cheaper game selling well when you can have two cheaper games selling even better". My thesis isn't that 3K in itself will kill WH, it's that any success in the historical branch will mean less money for the fantasy branch.
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,597Registered Users
    Xenos7 said:

    Goatforce said:

    Doom and gloom tends to be unwarranted, I mean look at WH1's release; it was CA's bestselling game as I recall, did they then say "OK we're abandoning historical"? No, of course they didn't, why then when we know a 3rd game is in production, in a series that has consistantly been in Steam topsellers, would they abandon it when they are quite capable of working on both (3K was probably in production well before WH2, perhaps even before WH1 was released or even announced).

    Your analysis is missing a key point: historical games are much cheaper to produce. CA wasn't going to abandon historical games because they were looking for the best case scenario: a cheaper game selling more. Now they have it, so no point is pushing other games. I anticipate a smaller WH3 will be the last fantasy game from this company.
    Well CA needed Total War: Warhammer after the poor launch of Total War: Rome 2, but now CA has recovered, and Total War: Three Kingdoms has sold more copies than Total War: Warhammer 2.
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 21,311Registered Users
    Tayvar said:

    Xenos7 said:

    Goatforce said:

    Doom and gloom tends to be unwarranted, I mean look at WH1's release; it was CA's bestselling game as I recall, did they then say "OK we're abandoning historical"? No, of course they didn't, why then when we know a 3rd game is in production, in a series that has consistantly been in Steam topsellers, would they abandon it when they are quite capable of working on both (3K was probably in production well before WH2, perhaps even before WH1 was released or even announced).

    Your analysis is missing a key point: historical games are much cheaper to produce. CA wasn't going to abandon historical games because they were looking for the best case scenario: a cheaper game selling more. Now they have it, so no point is pushing other games. I anticipate a smaller WH3 will be the last fantasy game from this company.
    Well CA needed Total War: Warhammer after the poor launch of Total War: Rome 2, but now CA has recovered, and Total War: Three Kingdoms has sold more copies than Total War: Warhammer 2.
    Rome2 was one of the most successful TW titles ever. Why do you think it got supported for five freakin' years?

  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,737Registered Users
    Tayvar said:

    Itharus said:

    3k isnt even a bigger product. It's more restrictive in scope. It's replay value is poor unless you just really, really, REALLY dig a narrow slice of Chinese history.

    It sucks in the way TOB sucks... scope.

    Narrow? well but making a game that is focused on a single country also has some benefits.
    China is "a single country" in only a strict political definition. Culturally and geographically, China was as diverse and as large as a very large chunk of Europe or the Middle East.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,939Registered Users

    Tayvar said:

    Itharus said:

    3k isnt even a bigger product. It's more restrictive in scope. It's replay value is poor unless you just really, really, REALLY dig a narrow slice of Chinese history.

    It sucks in the way TOB sucks... scope.

    Narrow? well but making a game that is focused on a single country also has some benefits.
    China is "a single country" in only a strict political definition. Culturally and geographically, China was as diverse and as large as a very large chunk of Europe or the Middle East.
    "Every 10 miles there's a different language" is what my Chinese in laws told me once. China's about as diverse as Europe is.

    Still whether that translates to the game is another matter.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    Xenos7 said:

    Xenos7 said:

    Goatforce said:

    Doom and gloom tends to be unwarranted, I mean look at WH1's release; it was CA's bestselling game as I recall, did they then say "OK we're abandoning historical"? No, of course they didn't, why then when we know a 3rd game is in production, in a series that has consistantly been in Steam topsellers, would they abandon it when they are quite capable of working on both (3K was probably in production well before WH2, perhaps even before WH1 was released or even announced).

    Your analysis is missing a key point: historical games are much cheaper to produce. CA wasn't going to abandon historical games because they were looking for the best case scenario: a cheaper game selling more. Now they have it, so no point is pushing other games. I anticipate a smaller WH3 will be the last fantasy game from this company.
    You do seem to have a strong grasp on how companies hate having more than one product selling well. Why have two games selling 3.5 million copies when you can have one selling 2 million. That’s just how you make more money!
    It's more "why have a costlier and a cheaper game selling well when you can have two cheaper games selling even better". My thesis isn't that 3K in itself will kill WH, it's that any success in the historical branch will mean less money for the fantasy branch.
    Sweet summer child my butt, how about economics 101, or you know. Basic math. Or that you have been wrong already so many times that at some point people start to realize you lack all credibility.

    SEGA already paid a lump sum as part of the agreement for this license. You do not make the most of owning it by simply suddenly abandoning it. And sell every dollar spent on that short.

    Second, there is a big mistake to assume that 3k is that much cheaper. They had multiple time overruns, barely completed it, they spent quite a a bit of time on the overall make up and map. They struggled with certain aspects per their own wording. Acting like it's somehow pennies versus dollars is not an honest let alone accurate assumption. If act, it's outright foolish.

    Nor is it even really how that money allocation works. Investing a minimal, for a half hearted thing. Means return on that is likely going to be bad, or worse a backlash that will make people resent it. Making a bad game, like Dawn of War 3, loses money.

    Nor is 3k something powered entirely by Chinese fans, it gets a boost certainly but it still had to be powered also by the same usual historical fans. I plan on getting it for the same history buff reasons I got the other prior titles. Doing specifically China again, other than some follow up equivalent like Atilla wouldn't likely jive well. Nor would you want to do it so quickly. You've got DLC to lather onto 3k for another year at least. Where as any other main historical title, or minor title is no guarantee. ToB and others have shown at times they can get lukewwarm response.

    So you make a second game, you put the work and money into it to make it successful. You've got a proven profitably. You do it. Not doing it is literaly ignoring a proven cash pile you know you can get. And that you have a limited time to get. Warhammer license runs out, history never does. Time to cash in on it.
  • zerkmannzerkmann Posts: 348Registered Users
    Nyxilis said:

    klash that will make people resent it. Making a bad game, like Dawn of War 3, loses money.
    Nor is 3k something powered entirely by Chinese fans, it gets a boost certainly but it still had to be powered also by the same usual historical fans.

    A quick look at the Steam reviews and filtering the chinese reviews, as well as the mod workshop, certainly does show that a huge chunk of players for 3K are Chinese.
    Reddit or this forum that only has a few thousand people is not indicative of TW3K's audience.
    CA also directly mentioned China numerous times as a direct contributor for 3K's success and even went on to put up a forward base there for communication and feedback gathering.

    I mean come on. There was barely any buzz for 3K before it came out (with all its trailers being outviewed by Warhammer trailers) then suddenly it sells a million in a week. Isn't that a little bit strange? If the western community was that divisive over 3K prior to release, surely those sales would have sure come from somewhere else?
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,772Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Just a "preventative" post comment. Let';s keep all personal and cultural reference and comments out of the discussion. Thanks.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
  • NyxilisNyxilis Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    zerkmann said:

    Nyxilis said:

    klash that will make people resent it. Making a bad game, like Dawn of War 3, loses money.
    Nor is 3k something powered entirely by Chinese fans, it gets a boost certainly but it still had to be powered also by the same usual historical fans.

    A quick look at the Steam reviews and filtering the chinese reviews, as well as the mod workshop, certainly does show that a huge chunk of players for 3K are Chinese.
    Reddit or this forum that only has a few thousand people is not indicative of TW3K's audience.
    CA also directly mentioned China numerous times as a direct contributor for 3K's success and even went on to put up a forward base there for communication and feedback gathering.

    I mean come on. There was barely any buzz for 3K before it came out (with all its trailers being outviewed by Warhammer trailers) then suddenly it sells a million in a week. Isn't that a little bit strange? If the western community was that divisive over 3K prior to release, surely those sales would have sure come from somewhere else?
    I do not look at Reddit nor forums for sales data. Steam charts, chart topping, and other data shows that 3k is a success on the American and European front like their prior titles. Not at any point did say say, 3k only succeeded because of China.

    Barely any buzz? I guess if you simply were never on the internet. They held weakly streams of it for months. They released advertisements, lets plays, host of promotional videos. It had been on the top 5 steams sales list for the majority of time that it had been released on Steam.

    Nor was it sales that strange. The Chinese audience certainly helped put it on its most sold title range. But TW sales had already been growing in popularity and had already had a million sold title. It didn't need them to be a success by any TW standard before, but certainly put them on the top.

    Also, the western community wasn't that divisive. Less than 10% of players talk about this game on Reddit or this forum. And even then it was only a handful of people even then that were complaining about 3k simply because it was not Warhammer, while a blatant majority were eh, will wait to see it, or were already lining up because it was another historical title.

    And I throw it on the trash heap of overblown paranoia of Chinese take over and conspiracy theories. Aka, rubbish.
  • zerkmannzerkmann Posts: 348Registered Users
    Nyxilis said:

    zerkmann said:

    Nyxilis said:

    klash that will make people resent it. Making a bad game, like Dawn of War 3, loses money.
    Nor is 3k something powered entirely by Chinese fans, it gets a boost certainly but it still had to be powered also by the same usual historical fans.

    A quick look at the Steam reviews and filtering the chinese reviews, as well as the mod workshop, certainly does show that a huge chunk of players for 3K are Chinese.
    Reddit or this forum that only has a few thousand people is not indicative of TW3K's audience.
    CA also directly mentioned China numerous times as a direct contributor for 3K's success and even went on to put up a forward base there for communication and feedback gathering.

    I mean come on. There was barely any buzz for 3K before it came out (with all its trailers being outviewed by Warhammer trailers) then suddenly it sells a million in a week. Isn't that a little bit strange? If the western community was that divisive over 3K prior to release, surely those sales would have sure come from somewhere else?
    I do not look at Reddit nor forums for sales data. Steam charts, chart topping, and other data shows that 3k is a success on the American and European front like their prior titles. Not at any point did say say, 3k only succeeded because of China.

    Barely any buzz? I guess if you simply were never on the internet. They held weakly streams of it for months. They released advertisements, lets plays, host of promotional videos.
    There wasn't. Have you been to these forums at all? For a good chunk of 3K's marketing period, people were mocking game for using posters to advertise itself and when the actual gameplay came out people were making fun of how ugly the UI was, how janky the combat was, and all around complete ambivalence towards the setting. Even in Turin's videos you could see multiple comments (check his April Let's Plays of 3K during Pax East) of people telling him why he's bothering with 3K.

    Which is why it came off as a complete shocker that 3K sold 1 million IN A WEEK, I repeat, a WEEK, since the hype for the game wasn't that big in the west. It couldn't have been word of mouth either since when the game came out it barely beat Warhammer 2 in the metacritic score department. Mind you, not even Rome 2 sold a million in a week. No Total War has ever achieved this, so it isn't to say that this was from old fans, so this sudden influx of sales must have come from somewhere else.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,213Registered Users
    I've seen similar comments on all TWs, including Fantasy. Shockingly enough, people on the internet often aren't nice. Hasn't stopped me seeing lots of people excited for it and stores here in the UK reporting selling very well.
  • zerkmannzerkmann Posts: 348Registered Users
    Commisar said:

    I've seen similar comments on all TWs, including Fantasy. Shockingly enough, people on the internet often aren't nice. Hasn't stopped me seeing lots of people excited for it and stores here in the UK reporting selling very well.

    Still bit of a difference. If you look at Twitch and Youtube, most people streaming 3 Kingdoms are Chinese, Koreans and Vietnamese people. Most of the people making mods for it are Chinese and Koreans, with a few Dynasty Warriors fans.

    Also most of the well known Total War ecelebs went back to making Warhammer content.

    I think it's safe to say that it's pretty obvious which audience this game has captured. The same way most people who play Warhammer are former/current Tabletop players.
  • NyxilisNyxilis Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    zerkmann said:

    Nyxilis said:

    zerkmann said:

    Nyxilis said:

    klash that will make people resent it. Making a bad game, like Dawn of War 3, loses money.
    Nor is 3k something powered entirely by Chinese fans, it gets a boost certainly but it still had to be powered also by the same usual historical fans.

    A quick look at the Steam reviews and filtering the chinese reviews, as well as the mod workshop, certainly does show that a huge chunk of players for 3K are Chinese.
    Reddit or this forum that only has a few thousand people is not indicative of TW3K's audience.
    CA also directly mentioned China numerous times as a direct contributor for 3K's success and even went on to put up a forward base there for communication and feedback gathering.

    I mean come on. There was barely any buzz for 3K before it came out (with all its trailers being outviewed by Warhammer trailers) then suddenly it sells a million in a week. Isn't that a little bit strange? If the western community was that divisive over 3K prior to release, surely those sales would have sure come from somewhere else?
    I do not look at Reddit nor forums for sales data. Steam charts, chart topping, and other data shows that 3k is a success on the American and European front like their prior titles. Not at any point did say say, 3k only succeeded because of China.

    Barely any buzz? I guess if you simply were never on the internet. They held weakly streams of it for months. They released advertisements, lets plays, host of promotional videos.
    There wasn't. Have you been to these forums at all? For a good chunk of 3K's marketing period, people were mocking game for using posters to advertise itself and when the actual gameplay came out people were making fun of how ugly the UI was, how janky the combat was, and all around complete ambivalence towards the setting. Even in Turin's videos you could see multiple comments (check his April Let's Plays of 3K during Pax East) of people telling him why he's bothering with 3K.

    Which is why it came off as a complete shocker that 3K sold 1 million IN A WEEK, I repeat, a WEEK, since the hype for the game wasn't that big in the west. It couldn't have been word of mouth either since when the game came out it barely beat Warhammer 2 in the metacritic score department. Mind you, not even Rome 2 sold a million in a week. No Total War has ever achieved this, so it isn't to say that this was from old fans, so this sudden influx of sales must have come from somewhere else.
    Yeah, I have been on these forums. At length. It's overall negative, and it wasn't exactly giving stellar praise to other titles at any given time. Warhammer side turns into a dumpster fire periodically between each patch despite it being one of their higher rated games ever. Better question, have you been on the internet at length? Can you ever tell when a community just gets into be a gibbering pile of negativity?

    Because most of those complaints even from the english side went by the way side at launch. Greater bulk of fans who pop in only at release flooded it and got left int he dust.

    It was still successful on its own. That's my point, you arguing that it just did the best doesn't matter to my point at all. If you show disdain to their US and EU side they will sour that audience that they still need. Which they haven't right now. It was still a sales success there.

    Unless you're not going to insinuate that you need the sales of 3k to be called a successful TW game.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,213Registered Users
    zerkmann said:

    Still bit of a difference. If you look at Twitch and Youtube, most people streaming 3 Kingdoms are Chinese, Koreans and Vietnamese people. Most of the people making mods for it are Chinese and Koreans, with a few Dynasty Warriors fans.

    Also most of the well known Total War ecelebs went back to making Warhammer content.

    I think it's safe to say that it's pretty obvious which audience this game has captured. The same way most people who play Warhammer are former/current Tabletop players.

    So more than just one nation with no real ties to the current game. Yeah atm this TW has the biggest amount of competition and a lot of the big names got it and their following with the WH series over historic so their following is less likely to be engaged by it with multiple vids.

    Yeah, this game is guaranteed to be the best selling of the TW series in East Asia. Doesn't mean it hasn't done well and isn't also popular in other areas
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,597Registered Users
    zerkmann said:

    Nyxilis said:

    zerkmann said:

    Nyxilis said:

    klash that will make people resent it. Making a bad game, like Dawn of War 3, loses money.
    Nor is 3k something powered entirely by Chinese fans, it gets a boost certainly but it still had to be powered also by the same usual historical fans.

    A quick look at the Steam reviews and filtering the chinese reviews, as well as the mod workshop, certainly does show that a huge chunk of players for 3K are Chinese.
    Reddit or this forum that only has a few thousand people is not indicative of TW3K's audience.
    CA also directly mentioned China numerous times as a direct contributor for 3K's success and even went on to put up a forward base there for communication and feedback gathering.

    I mean come on. There was barely any buzz for 3K before it came out (with all its trailers being outviewed by Warhammer trailers) then suddenly it sells a million in a week. Isn't that a little bit strange? If the western community was that divisive over 3K prior to release, surely those sales would have sure come from somewhere else?
    I do not look at Reddit nor forums for sales data. Steam charts, chart topping, and other data shows that 3k is a success on the American and European front like their prior titles. Not at any point did say say, 3k only succeeded because of China.

    Barely any buzz? I guess if you simply were never on the internet. They held weakly streams of it for months. They released advertisements, lets plays, host of promotional videos.
    There wasn't. Have you been to these forums at all? For a good chunk of 3K's marketing period, people were mocking game for using posters to advertise itself and when the actual gameplay came out people were making fun of how ugly the UI was, how janky the combat was, and all around complete ambivalence towards the setting. Even in Turin's videos you could see multiple comments (check his April Let's Plays of 3K during Pax East) of people telling him why he's bothering with 3K.

    Which is why it came off as a complete shocker that 3K sold 1 million IN A WEEK, I repeat, a WEEK, since the hype for the game wasn't that big in the west. It couldn't have been word of mouth either since when the game came out it barely beat Warhammer 2 in the metacritic score department. Mind you, not even Rome 2 sold a million in a week. No Total War has ever achieved this, so it isn't to say that this was from old fans, so this sudden influx of sales must have come from somewhere else.
    Good points, also many historical fans was bashing 3K over it's fantasy features, while chinese fans for the most part was liking those features, and that's why the romance mode is the main mode of 3K.

    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/YMMV/TotalWarThreeKingdoms
Sign In or Register to comment.