Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

An answer from CA about the communication

neodeinosneodeinos Registered Users Posts: 8,993
edited July 2019 in General Discussion
CA has answered about it on Reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/c7f358/communication_a_open_letter_to_ca/esgxi2w/

I would like to say a few things for @Grace_CA Firstly, where is the beta updates we were supposed to "in the following weeks" after the Prophet and the Warlock release ?
About the FLC chart, you're saying that you're not showing it unless you're sure it won't change to avoid strong reaction from the community. And I would argue that no matter what you do there will always be a part of the community having a so called reaction and they will be vocal for sure. Maybe you could make something less cryptic about it, I know that CA never talks about their plans right now but maybe it is something that needs to change ?
There is no interaction with the community when you're not here trying to sell new content, so maybe talking about your plans even if it's very small things would entertain the community, makes us feel important and not that you want to communicate with us only when you want to sell something (it gives a greedy feeling from you). And again there will be strong reaction, but it will happen no matter what you do anyway.
The fact that you can't talk about your plans points out the issue you're talking about for WTTAWO imo, because of this you have nothing to say so I'll say it again, maybe it needs to change, even if it's subject to change, we all know that (it's even written in the trailer and announcement, I think ?) and people who understands shouldn't have that strong reaction you're talking about imo.

And it's good to know that you're trying to find ideas to be more transparent but don't mean to offend you, I will not believe as long as there is no result.
One other thing I'd like to point out is that these forums are just silent, you have no presence here and your answer on Reddit shows that, all the thread about communication have been completely ignored until someone decides to make one on Reddit, why do you answer so fast on Reddit which is an unofficial platform but CA has very little to no presence on the forums which IS an official platform ?

Edit: If mods see this thread just don't move it to another place please. It needs to stay here to not let it die and so that CA can actually see it (IF they even go on this forum).

"Our blood is not for the likes of you! Raise a hand against us and I will scourge the spirit from your worthless bones and hurl you into the Outer Dark! Flee before my wrath, wretched sons of Aenarion! The Dark Mother waits, and if you press me I shall offer your souls up to her!"
Post edited by neodeinos on

Comments

• ReeksReeks Registered Users Posts: 4,579
    So basically another "We are working on improving things"
    My bet is we will get another one of those responses in a few months when a new wave of #WhereIsTheCommunicationCA wave rolls, let´s see how much actually were improved at that time

"Yum Yum"
  • ArneSoArneSo Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 17,783
    I just don’t understand why some people give negative feedback after wttawo....
    And those who complain about to many DLCs.... I mean who are these guys? Where are they? And most importantly, whats wrong with them?
  • neodeinosneodeinos Registered Users Posts: 8,993
    ArneSo said:

And those who complain about to many DLCs.... I mean who are these guys? Where are they? And most importantly, whats wrong with them?

About the WTTAWO, I understand, it was just giving news to say that you don't have any news.
    Now about the people complaining about the amount of DLCs it was probably people not playing that much the game, people playing just sometimes, I think when you are one of those the amount of DLCs is scary.

"Our blood is not for the likes of you! Raise a hand against us and I will scourge the spirit from your worthless bones and hurl you into the Outer Dark! Flee before my wrath, wretched sons of Aenarion! The Dark Mother waits, and if you press me I shall offer your souls up to her!"
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 23,621
    I'm quite happy with this.
    The forum Administrator responsible for is CA_Grace
  • Aram_theheadAram_thehead Registered Users Posts: 1,005
    edited July 2019
    At least we know that they know how we feel about this. A nice start. Anyway, I think we're never gonna see them again on these forums. That thread was the only one that I saw on Reddit about communication, whereas on these forums there have been a lot in the last 2 weeks.
    Also: we now know that 3Kingdoms did in fact take them resources and time that were originally meant for warhammer. It was kind of obvious, but you know, at least there's an official reason now, which is always nice to have.
  • Infinite_MawInfinite_Maw Registered Users Posts: 1,531
    edited July 2019
    "On to The "Droughts" - a lot of the stuff you're talking about is stuff we do to promote a tentpole. Vision Dev Diary, Interviews with developers - that's stuff that we've done for Three Kingdoms. And a lot of the time, no one watches it. Speaking personally, I put together a Three Kingdoms video quiz, which got a very low response. Bake off videos get very low responses. Lore videos and history videos... people just don't watch and engage with them. So it's difficult for me to justify putting time and resources into videos that no one comments on or clicks on or reacts to."
    • Most of these were too gimmicky and I personally would never watch them myself.
    • I do feel sympathy about the lack of interest from history vids. As for WH lore, the issue is that CA just cannot compete with more entertaining lore guys like Indypride. When they explain, the staff can sound a bit confused and not sure themselves about how certain creatures or character motivations work. Although the "Introducing the ..." vids are always welcome simply because we get to see the previews of the new unit. Overall I will disagree with the author that they should do this.
    Saying that we don't need a FLC chart if there is no FLC. If there is a chart, it doesn't have to be perfect. It is not a massive deal if Lokhir came before TiqTaq'To.
    Well but why is CA listening on players who just play total war games casual instead of the core community?
    Steam reviews are full with backwarded players raging against additional content.... they all just stucked in the year 2005 and should realise that this is how it works today. DLCs are great and who doesn’t like them isn’t forced to buy them. It’s like going to the supermarket complaining about the great variety of products...
  • Theo91Theo91 Registered Users Posts: 2,060
    Of course this was posted on reddit
  • 39821739175248623982173917524862 Registered Users Posts: 1,221

Saying that we don't need a FLC chart if there is no FLC. If there is a chart, it doesn't have to be perfect. It is not a massive deal if Lokhir came before TiqTaq'To.

It kind of was, since Lizardmen did not get a single piece of content for 1 year and 7 months since release. The earlier FLC chart also had the Lizardmen lord before the Dark Elf one, which they changed after the Bone giant and never brought up even with the inclusion of Lokhir.
    ArneSo said:

Well but why is CA listening on players who just play total war games casual instead of the core community?
    Steam reviews are full with backwarded players raging against additional content.... they all just stucked in the year 2005 and should realise that this is how it works today. DLCs are great and who doesn’t like them isn’t forced to buy them. It’s like going to the supermarket complaining about the great variety of products...

Because they make a majority of their profits by selling the base game, there is no guarantee majority of the players will stick around to buy DLC. There are a lot of people that just buy the game, play it for 1 campaign or even less and never touch it again.

On topic, CA have finally addressed this, but only time will tell if they live up to their words. This post is almost the same as the ones that preceded them and we had the same issues with communication afterwards. I don't expect anything in the next 3 months honestly, but if the same issues are present after the next content, be it 3K, Warhammer or a new Saga title, I am sure we will not eat up any excuse CA tries to feed us.
    ArneSo said:

After every vague hint there was a rush of threads of people proclaiming it was for their favourite thing.

They also didn't really give any information. That's fine, but all that interests me is actual information, the rest is just fluff.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 10,555
    edited July 2019
    So many words about absolutely nothing. Pardon, 3K part is important. It fully justifies and reinforces my loathe for the game*.

*said while planning my next Lu Bu campaign.

Post edited by Maedrethnir on
    animacja-sygn-3.gif

ArneSo said:

Because that is the core community?

The folk on the forums and on Reddit are simply hardcore niches of the fandom. Particularly those who stick around when there's no content soon to drop.

The complaints about DLC are more nuanced than your analogy suggests, like every analogy ever in translation to another medium it loses nuance. TWW does have A LOT of DLC.
  • Theo91Theo91 Registered Users Posts: 2,060

ArneSo said:

The folk on the forums and on Reddit are simply hardcore niches of the fandom. Particularly those who stick around when there's no content soon to drop.

The complaints about DLC are more nuanced than your analogy suggests, like every analogy ever in translation to another medium it loses nuance. TWW does have A LOT of DLC.
    I don’t get people who says there’s too much dlc. No one is forcing them to buy it.

If you bought the core game and there was no dlc vs you bought the core game and didn’t buy the accompanying dlc, there is literally no difference to that individual
  • RazmirthRazmirth Registered Users Posts: 2,248
    edited July 2019
    Double post
    Post edited by Razmirth on
  • RazmirthRazmirth Registered Users Posts: 2,248
    Be warned; long rant coming. And maybe a double post, so ignore the first one.

First of all, I appreciate all CA delivers as a company and their products. I love the total war series and I love warhammer. I’ve been an avid fan and player for 25 years. They’ve hit the nail on the head with it and I expect tww3 will be wonderful.

But I take exception to a few things in this article. And not for a good reason. Let’s start.

“we do get a strong reaction whenever stuff moves out or rearranges”

Soooo what you’re saying is you don’t like being held accountable when you make a promise to deliver something. Gotcha. Now that’s out of the way....

“Vision Dev Diary, Interviews with developers - that's stuff that we've done for Three Kingdoms. And a lot of the time, no one watches it. Speaking personally, I put together a Three Kingdoms video quiz, which got a very low response. Bake off videos get very low responses. Lore videos and history videos... people just don't watch and engage with them. So it's difficult for me to justify putting time and resources into videos that no one comments on or clicks on or reacts to.”

I’m calling pure BS on this. Low response?? No one clicks or comments on your video or quiz?? Just because the forums don’t get flooded with praise and the community rolling out the red carpet for you; all of a sudden it’s not worth doing??? Oh man. There’s gonna be a rant with this one.

First of all, not everyone is around to watch said video or post at the time it’s aired. Many of us work full time and it takes time for reactions to come in.

Second; who cares how many people respond??? I own three businesses. Yes, three. While not multi million dollar companies like CA, there are some basic and fundamental things you need to understand about running a business.

One of those things; It doesn’t matter how many people respond to your advertising, good or bad. While I understand she’s saying they don’t want to waste time and resources for a small reaction, what is so much more important then that is the response that isn’t able to be measured or quantified.

The fact that people even see your videos, blogs, interviews etc is a big bright light in the dark with one clear message; we care about our product. We care so much we are gonna talk about it, and share our enthusiasm with you. We care so much that even if only 5 people respond positively, it was worth it.

In business it’s a known fact that people love to complain more than congratulate or speak positively. Those 5 happy people represent a huge number of people who are gonna be happy, they just don’t tell you about it.

I remember the statistic being something like for every 1 positive review or feedback you get, you will have 20-30 negative responses. So don’t focus on the negative replies only, focus on the positive. And use the negative feedback to look at how you do things and say “can I do better than I am currently? If so, what do I need to change?” That should be a constant question in your head at all times.

When you have people in your community asking for more frequent communication, and your response is (I’m gonna paraphrase here) “not worth our time if we don’t get large comments/responses to our videos”. Or “that person is too busy to even respond”. Or “we flatten our bugs and content before we prioritize responding to the community” there’s a MASSIVE problem with your companies priorities.

Every business owner will tell you everything they are doing; their service, product theycput out, whatever, is obviously supposed to be top quality. But that all comes AFTER you acknowledge and talk to your customer. I have to constantly put out fires in my businesses. I know I have a great service to offer. But when crap hits the fan and an 80 year old widow calls and says “hey, your guy missed a small section of my lawn. Can you have him fix that next week?? I can’t do it myself because I had knee surgery last week, and it’s your job anyway” What do you think a responsible business should do??

CA’s mentality based on the response Grace gave?? I’d not respond for 3 months, then call back and say something like “hey, I’m sorry it’s taken me 3 months. I’ll ask my guy to get on that issue right away...3 months after you asked. But understand that I’m so busy making everyone else happy with things you don’t see going on behind the scenes, so you need to be patient with me”.

What’s wrong with that statement?? It completely takes all accountability off of the business owner and puts it 100 percent on the customer. The overall message is;

1- you are not worth my time to contact if you have a problem

2- I don’t care about your business cause I’m more worried about others services more than yours

3- you don’t have a right to complain because I know that my service is amazing.

That is so fundamentally wrong in business. I’m sorry to say it. But it’s wrong.

I’m not saying the customer always is right. I’m not saying they have to be on here everyday sifting through the 500 negative crap posts and get verbally assaulted daily. I’m not saying they need to promise us things they know they will never deliver.

What I am saying is they need to be like how they were in TWW1 days. The community is only asking CA to be like that because we all KNOW they can do it, cause we’ve seen it happen in the past!!! Be accountable for your product. Make FLC charts and stick to them. Make stupid baking videos about sylvania peasent bread. Have dogbert say potential spoilers in videos. Face palm when he does it.

What am I really saying? Add the human element back into the community. Show us you are one of us, with flaws and virtues. Embrace it and get into the trenches with your fans and customers. That’s the real blessing and motivating factor as a businesses owner; seeing my customers happy and hearing feedback, positive or negative. Cause every negative customer is someone I can make happy if I’m willing to pull out the stops as fix it.

After my work day I spend 1 hour responding to customers who call with issues or even just to say thanks for doing a good job. I also make it a point to spend time asking everyone if they are happy or do I need to change something next time for them. No one pays for me that, and it envigorates me. I used to spend 20 minutes extra at houses when I started my lawn care company. Old widows who’s husbands died and kids all moved on. Old People who have no one to talk to or hear their stories anymore. I’ve also checked obituaries frequently to see if they passed on when I stop hearing from them or get paid on time. Often times they did pass on, and I called their next of kin to say I’m sorry. Because I care more about the people than their money.

If I can do it as 1 man with his wife running several businesses, CA can do it with several hundred employees, a few who are actually PAID to be community reps.

Sorry....rant over.
    Theo91 said:

ArneSo said:

I don’t get people who says there’s too much dlc. No one is forcing them to buy it.

If you bought the core game and there was no dlc vs you bought the core game and didn’t buy the accompanying dlc, there is literally no difference to that individual
    And you don't NEED them, you can perfectly play without the DLCs and you won't miss anything. Maybe the lord packs are the most important to get but they are really cheap. And as long as the quality is there, I don't care how much DLCs there are.

• Monty30Monty30 Registered Users Posts: 29
    We are really stupids, just let them destroy the warhammer community (if It not already destroyed). In 3 mounts they will try to sell us a new DLC, so let them discover what is going to happen.
  • FrostPawFrostPaw Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,127
    neodeinos said:

Theo91 said:

ArneSo said:

And you don't NEED them, you can perfectly play without the DLCs and you won't miss anything. Maybe the lord packs are the most important to get but they are really cheap. And as long as the quality is there, I don't care how much DLCs there are.
    Many people see a list of what they don't have for dlc as a reason not to play because its not the "whole" experience. Despite the mass of free updates, this is the psychological affect of "missing out" imposed by decades of manipulative marketing.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 2,967
    "We are actively working on this. I can't give you a date yet because things have moved around a lot internally. This is part of the reason it's been so long without one - because although we do say it's subject to change, we do get a strong reaction whenever stuff moves out or rearranges."

So basically: We stopped it because enough people were being a bunch of babies about it.

Knowing this forum, this doesn't surprise me.
    FrostPaw said:

neodeinos said:

Theo91 said:

ArneSo said:

Many people see a list of what they don't have for dlc as a reason not to play because its not the "whole" experience. Despite the mass of free updates, this is the psychological affect of "missing out" imposed by decades of manipulative marketing.
    Even if there was only 2 DLCs there would still be people bitching about it.

"We are actively working on this. I can't give you a date yet because things have moved around a lot internally. This is part of the reason it's been so long without one - because although we do say it's subject to change, we do get a strong reaction whenever stuff moves out or rearranges."

So basically: We stopped it because enough people were being a bunch of babies about it.

Knowing this forum, this doesn't surprise me.

That's typical CA, they see negativity so they just stop doing something instead of improving it.

edited July 2019
    I NEED more DLCs! I’ve already played most of the factions and lords in the game so I want something new to play wh2 again. If CA doesn’t supply me with that wanted content, I play something else. And CA as a company shouldn’t want me to play something else.
    Right now I‘m happy with 3k what is good for CA but when they have the same horrible DLC plan like for wh2, then I‘m probably bored in about 2 months and play something else not developed by CA.

And the total war Games are by far my favourite games! 2500h in Rome 2 already 300h in 3k.

In wh2 I only have 400h in total. I got bored so fast because we only got new content every 5-6 months.
    In General is a playtime over 100h pretty rare if you compare it with other games.
    Only 30h In TOB and about 20h in metro exodus. I never played these games so much because of the lack of additional content.
    Now compare that with Rome 2 where I have 2500h. I played that game so much because we got so much new content.
    Even after the game was officially done they released 3 new DLCs and these DLCs made me play the game again for at least 500h what is more then my total playtime in wh2 and that’s only because of DLCs.

It’s not like we don’t want DLCs. And like it was already said, angry customers are always louder than satisfied customers. So 100 players complaining about to many DLCs stand against 20.000 happy but silent players that actual enjoy new content.

But to realise that as a company you need a good marketing team. And as much as I love CA, their marketing team is just bad.
    Post edited by ArneSo on
  • uriakuriak Registered Users Posts: 3,421
    My answer there

Thank you for your answers. Seems that many of these productions are thankless work, especially videos which are not something easy to produce.

Now, concerning the official forum, I feel that beyond the exact release of news about future content, there is a thirst for more general information, especially for more long term changes/additions to the serie. Many people are wondering about how older factions may be expanded in the future for instance, as DLC for factions not included in the latest game are not straightforward. This will be quite important in the context of the end of the trilogy.

I think many people would appreciate a bit of insight too on your internal feelings about current mechanics, what you would like to follow or have ruled out among popular requests. There is very little info bar some snippets like aknowledging issues about Amber or the Slaans, for instance. Some topics, like sieges, hordes, recruitement, upkeep, are very very reoccuring and may benefit from some intervention.

I know the public may be downright hostile and people have contradictory expectations at times. But in the case of warhammer we have been and still are for a long ride ;)
  • FungusHoundFungusHound Registered Users Posts: 4,657
    If this was the reason for not updating the FLC Array, why did it take over a year to even acknowledge it exists? There have been a ton of threads on reddit (we all know they don't respond to threads here despite what is claimed) asking about it and they have all been ignored.

Also what about that Beta we were told about? Is it going to take another couple months of silence and ignoring threads to get an answer.
  • 42konyo42konyo Registered Users Posts: 783
    And yet again, only the unofficial forum got a response to a question that has been asked here on the official forum countless times, but hey at least we got somewhat of a response, it's something i guess.
  • DebaucheeDebauchee Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,407
    Looks like a confirmation, that 3K actually did butcher WH not only in terms of content, but also in terms of communication.
  • Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Registered Users Posts: 2,202
    So WTTAWO... People were upset it didn't say enough, so the CA response was to decide to say even less? Wait... Whut?

As for FLC chart, I get it. If the plan is a bit sketchy, you don't want to upset people by writing out something they will inevitably mistake for gospel. OK. I think it would be nice if the plan wasn't sketchy, but I don't run a game development company. Heck, I barely run my own shoelaces.

General communication... you listened to some haters and didn't feel there was enough support to make it worth the teef, eh? Doesn't seem right to me. I have plenty of haters, I expect. Still worth trying to put grins on a few faces, I thought. Maybe this giving up stuff is some "humie logic" I don't know about. *shrug* I'll blame Niblit.

Oh well, if things are going to be quiet around here, I'll just bust a few heads and watch some more of this "paint" drying.
    Often bored, but never finished. Food, war, carousing, rabble-rousing... A gobbo's work is never done.
  • FungusHoundFungusHound Registered Users Posts: 4,657
    HoneyBun said:

If you find it hard, demanding or stressful to say "hello" every once in a while to your most dedicated customers (who adore you) then I think you have issues.

Either the wrong people, or the wrong processes.

That is NOT a criticism of Grace - she is the only functioning bit of CM.

Yeah come to think of it where it the rest of the community team. I forgot Ella even exists.

Also apperently Grace was unaware of the Warhammer Beta comment from May made in the Amythest wizard announcement by Ella
  • doclumbagodoclumbago Registered Users Posts: 1,825
    From Reddit
    "And a lot of the time, no one watches it. Speaking personally, I put together a Three Kingdoms video quiz, which got a very low response. Bake off videos get very low responses. Lore videos and history videos... people just don't watch and engage with them. So it's difficult for me to justify putting time and resources into videos that no one comments on or clicks on or reacts to."

Maybe we are just a tiny minority of the player base and the CA Communications Team simply don´t get the green light from their bosses to put out stuff regularly. Bummer
  • PLHenryPLHenry Registered Users Posts: 1,401
    I think it's worth mentioning that we don't need lots of videos. Games Workshop have 25 years of Warhammer lore to draw upon, they have dozens of Army Books and countless other written works to draw upon. If GW were willing, then CA could do a series of lore blogs that gave us the army book stories for the characters we play as. They could write new ones for their brand new characters that they have created to finally flesh them out, get the GW writer to provide short stories about the mini-factions that we never knew about in tabletop such as the Spine of Sotek Dwarfs. There is a lot they can do, and that's just for lore.

Videos just aren't needed.

By the way, a part of why events such as the bake off didn't get many viewers is because of other issues knocking onto those. Those events came out at a time where CA were barely interacting, people were angry, releases were getting more spread out, the FLC chart wasn't being updated and the fall out of Norsca was still fresh. If they had maintained good communication at that time, had kept working on their Rally Points, advertising streams, focusing on the community despite the delays, then such videos would have been more of a success because the community would be more willing to engage in it.
  • uriakuriak Registered Users Posts: 3,421
    edited July 2019
    There is the question of content provided for everyone (WTAWO, videos, lore, behind the scene) and reddit/forum participation. I'd be very happy with more of the latter.