Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

TW: modern warfare?

MartialAtheistMartialAtheist Posts: 7Registered Users
Do you see CA ever producing a game with automatic rifles and modern combat situation tactics, possibly covering alternate recent history and fictional wars, akin to Call of Duty or some Tom Clancy-type military fiction? How much interest in that would there be and would you support it?

Comments

• CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,208Registered Users
    I think they have added automatic type rifles in WH2.

But outside of such a fantasy setting? No, I don't see it working well with the TW formula. Not just the big differences in combat but also the changes in campaign mechanics. Would end up more like CoH/DoW.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 4,098Registered Users
    I just don't think it's the right-fit personally.
  • MartialAtheistMartialAtheist Posts: 7Registered Users
    I agree it would be a big shift in gameplay style and tactics, with mulitple moving squads of troops with modest AI taking cover, instead of ranked units walking on an open field. I guess the tone would be more hurried and emphasis on hastily performing objective while avoiding opposing lines of fire, and the diplomacy side would be modernised with updated elements like modern psychological warfare, etc.
    the player might be a military general and take orders from their government, but have freedom to reintepret those orders as you see fit to achieve an objective? The whole feel of the game would be modern military, rather than representing a country and helping establish an empire with you as founder you're working FOR a nation and balancing orders with the abaility of your men and resources and personal ethics/politics/other considerations.

Okay, on that side it wouldn't feel like TW at all, I know. But if CA began it as a non-TW series, how would people feel?
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 10,220Registered Users
    I think it is inevitable.

Interesting scenarios aren't endless that fit the "classical" TW swords&bows Formular and doing Remakes ad Infinitive is also a risk.

And doing lets say a WW1 or/and WW2 TW would not only give CA 2 of the most well know "total wars" as scenario but also unlock scenarios like cold war, modern or even sci fi.

Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • johncagejohncage Posts: 246Registered Users
    SiWI said:

Interesting scenarios aren't endless that fit the "classical" TW swords&bows Formular and doing Remakes ad Infinitive is also a risk.

And doing lets say a WW1 or/and WW2 TW would not only give CA 2 of the most well know "total wars" as scenario but also unlock scenarios like cold war, modern or even sci fi.

modern warfare spans about a hundred years. historical warfare spans millennia, which do you think really has more content for ca to exploit?
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 10,220Registered Users
    johncage said:

SiWI said:

modern warfare spans about a hundred years. historical warfare spans millennia, which do you think really has more content for ca to exploit?
    how much is left that would be intresting to exploit?

Besides:
    in those 100 years modern combat change so much that you at least have 3 very different scenario.

"historical warfare" (kinda a stupid name by I know what you mean by it) is relative sameny for most of the time.

Also it has so many TW games that the good parts are taken.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • RollinsRollins Posts: 20Registered Users
    I'm waiting for CA to make modern warfare total war (WW2, the cold war and modern war) that would be great.I've had enough of the swords&bows wars.