Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

City names suggestion

uriakuriak Posts: 3,421Registered Users
edited July 3 in General Discussion
Not a big priority at all, but it could be a nice addition for a bit of immersion (after all most TW mechanics are there for this)

You know how you can rename cities as a player ? I suggest there was something so in some instance whenever a given culture conquers/build some cities, they rename it in case of the AI or prompt the player to do it. Would allows both a bit of loreful element of reconquista for dwarfs vs GS or lizarmen vs skaven and a bit of cheesy elements from the baddies conquests, like DE giving corny names to some of the HE settlements, same for the Bretonnians with southlands cities etc.

Behind the scenes it would be quite simple : add a table for "suggested settlement names" linking a settlement id, a culture and a name. Whenever a settlement is captured or rebuild, the game checks if there is a suggested name and changes it.

Since there is a table, obsessive modders will be able to extend it as much as they want beyond the basic changes.

Comments

• ArneSoArneSo Posts: 2,111Registered Users
    Interesting idea! But without settlements changing their skins pretty pointless... empire owning an orc camp with the name “obersdorf” or Lizardmen building an DE city named “monument of sotek” isn’t really immersive.

I like your idea but we really need the option to convert the settlement skin to the owning race first. Hope CA is going change it in game 3...
  • uriakuriak Posts: 3,421Registered Users
    Yeah, it's a bigger deal. Though it would make sense timewise to rename a place before trying to rebuild stuff.

I've tried one of the mods that changes skins but I didn't like it much.
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 2,111Registered Users
    Yup that mod is not really a good solution. I know some players don’t care about that but for me it made me stop playing Wh2. Want to rule over a dark empire of the night as VC or rebuild the Karaz ankor as dawi, but that’s not possible right now.

I always changed the city named back in wh1 to something more related to the faction. Really like that feature.

Also had that idea that every settlement could have an alternative name for every race. I don’t think that orcs would name one of they’re fortresses Talabheim 😂😂 yeah but settlement skins first
  • TalmoreanTalmorean Posts: 1,434Registered Users
    Towny McTown-Town
    Well, as said, they could include the base functionnality for a handful of location that in lore did change names, then modding could extend it further (like giving orcish names to all cities)
  • BaronRodneyBaronRodney Posts: 677Registered Users
    I always rename Black Crag to Karak Drazh when I 're-take' it. I think it would be fun if the AI did this sort of thing! A good idea.

I agree with above posters as well, the race aesthetics should be re-applied when conquering cities. Although I imagine that would be a huge amount of work. Who knows if they will do this for WH3 or not... But we can but hope!
  • TalmoreanTalmorean Posts: 1,434Registered Users

I always rename Black Crag to Karak Drazh when I 're-take' it. I think it would be fun if the AI did this sort of thing! A good idea.

I agree with above posters as well, the race aesthetics should be re-applied when conquering cities. Although I imagine that would be a huge amount of work. Who knows if they will do this for WH3 or not... But we can but hope!

I rename L'Anguille to Tor Alessi when I retake it as High Elves or Wood Elves.
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Posts: 3,070Registered Users
    I find I normally only do this when playing Bretonnia or the Dwarfs. For the Dwarfs it's obvious to just switch the Orc names back to the canon Dwarf hold names. For Bretonnia it's usually a question of Estalia being completely wiped out by Skaven or Beastmen, so I usually view that as the founding of entirely new cities on the ruins of the old.

Personally my feeling is that when it comes to the appearance of cities they should stay the same unless they are razed and rebuilt, after which they should change to reflect the appearance of whatever faction rebuilt them.
  • BronzebeardBronzebeard Posts: 197Registered Users
    I do it for some settlements. If Tyrion takes Sartosa it always gets renamed to "Tor Sartos" because I think its funny.

There should be a list for loreful settlement names to change to, but maybe something fan-made?
    This is mainly a suggestion for the AI to do it, too. imagine retaking a lot of skaven or orcs souding places when you face their factions ^^
  • AnothaGitAnothaGit Posts: 189Registered Users
    The skins changing is most important.

It would be cool if the graphics just changed when you level up the city (since taking it moves it down a level you will always add back one level).

The name list for AI makes most sense for those contested dwarf/orc settlements. I am not sure how it would work for Skaven...basically they dig a hole under the city ruble. If you are human you don´t know or care what they call it and you go there to recolonize or retake what you think of as Nordheim.

Also some names just describe a thing like The Black Pyramid although you could rename that to `I Bet Aliens Built This´ if you take it with some human race.

In game I think the Dawi would use Dawi names for Orc Holds and vice versa.
    A name list in vanilla should only be for the most obvious ones.
    If they add that it should be a resource anyone who wishes more can mod.

Too many changed or changing names would just add confusion for me.