Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

A bit disappointed about the Speculative value of the FLC array

2»

Comments

• uriakuriak Posts: 3,416Registered Users
    There hasn't been any real value for speculation in general. We just do it because it's the only stuff to do besides exposing tentative reworks/updates, posting memes or the rare original content.

And the more the game advance the more we'll look for patterns to decide which race/unit/characters/mechanic gets added but since there so many dissimilarities between game 1 and 2 it's an uphill battle.
  • Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Posts: 1,109Registered Users
    It ain't much, but it's honest work.

I was a little baffled when people said they wanted it updated, anyway. It was clear early on that CA have far less clarity of purpose with DLC and FLC for game 2 than for game 1. Butterfly effect. They started the project with a plan and the evolution of the product has led them down avenues they never foresaw. Hence they have to be careful not to reveal too much in case they can't keep a perceived promise.

It's like writing a story. You plan what you are going to write about and maybe have a rough idea of the plot. Then, before you know it, it's like the characters have developed into lives of their own and the plot has to change to fit their personalities. Suddenly, you're less writing a carefully planned story arc and more riding a wild animal that needs to follow its own path. Publishers and fans are like: "How many more books? When will you finish it?" You're like: "I don't know! The characters haven't told me yet!"
  • uriakuriak Posts: 3,416Registered Users
    I dunno if there is lack of clarity so far. The two LP were quite similar to the TWW1 approach. with the addition on bringing FLC and updates with both of them. It's really only now that we are left wondering.
  • Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Posts: 1,109Registered Users
    uriak said:

I dunno if there is lack of clarity so far. The two LP were quite similar to the TWW1 approach. with the addition on bringing FLC and updates with both of them. It's really only now that we are left wondering.

Oh, I'm certain they knew they wanted two lord packs from the off. However, what went in them seems a little more arbitrary. For example, they added the Kharibdyss outside Q&C at a strange time and seemed to almost add it as a sales pitch. It didn't seem well planned. Then they claimed to have listened to the fans and tried to add more units to P&W. The goal-posts keep moving.

The original FLC array got out of whack and served up like one of those deconstructed desserts.
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Posts: 2,061Registered Users
    The main problem here is, if they show any pictures teasing the FLC we probably can already 100% figure out what it is, because there is not much left.
  • SiWISiWI Senior Member Posts: 10,136Registered Users
    neodeinos said:

Goatforce said:

Sad that there are no pictures to tell us at least which factions are getting updated, as well as that we are just getting info on the next DLC so have no way to predict how many we have left. However, it is news, so that is good, and it does appear that the next patch will come with a fair few tasty additions, though the quantity and flavour of these treats is yet to be revealed.

You could say that the "Old world update" box is near the badlands so it's a hint for GS rework but it's most likely a coincidence.
    this is the exact of speculation I expected to happen the first time I realize there is a map behind the FLC's.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892

This thread reads a bit like "We got the most plausible outcome that we expected and that upsets me."

is it? because in the past the arrays showed more then the FLC for the very next DLC.

I don't hink that it was unreasonable to assume we would see the FLC for all planed DLC's,

Also knowing what race a FLC LL will be was a feature of the Wh2 first array, so I don't see why that would be unreasonable to expect either.
    NeoYas said:

SiWI said:

NeoYas said:

I agree, the only thing positive is "Some Old Friends" while the rest is just a compilation of what we got, and a free LL + update was expected.

I wouldn't call it the only positive, since A we know LP's still means FLC LL and B I think the whole thing is even more elusive then the rest.

Because quite frankly, how the last old friend went, it can be basically anything.

I don't think Kemmel thinks of Krell as "friend" or has reference him as such. Yet Krell it was.

Now don't get me wrong, I see plausible ideas what the old friends can be but its overall so open that it really can be everything...
    There is a difference, this time we know when this "Old Friend" will be released (september), and in plural It's more specific, that means It's not a single character, but a duo at least.
    the release date is more precise I give you that, but it being plural doesn't really narrowed it down.

because we have nothing to go own of the form.
    Last time the OLd friend was a ability to summon.

So do we summon a pair of something?
    Are the old friends are really characters?
    Are they LHs? (let alone who?)
    Are they LLs this time?

There are quite alot of possible interpretations and we can only hope that it is at least really meaning characters not something more abstract.

There is less to speculate on but I think that's a good thing. They've told us all they're willing to tell. I don't particularly want to guess at what a picture of some forest or whatever means.

well I would compare it to the orginal WH2 FLC array...

that thing did cover multiple DLC's and had the race named of the FLC LL's.

this array falls behind that in terms of information given.

Now I grant you that a picture behind "old friends" which isn't 100% clear what it means, would have been devastating but I don't necessary see that falling behind Wh2 original array is a good thing in terms of clear information.
  • AwesomeLionAwesomeLion Member Posts: 1,102Registered Users
    My understanding is that there are at least 2 lord packs coming and the stuff on the FLC array are the things that will release alongside the first lord pack, with more FLC being revealed after prior to the 2nd lord pack.
    Total War: Warhammer <3

My understanding is that there are at least 2 lord packs coming and the stuff on the FLC array are the things that will release alongside the first lord pack, with more FLC being revealed after prior to the 2nd lord pack.

that is not up to debate here.
  • CrossilCrossil Posts: 3,999Registered Users
    I wanted FLC array because it offers info and this one is specifically made to tell nothing.

There's literally no point to its existence now as it tells us nothing.

It's like CA doesn't understand that FLC Arrays are supposed to be for players to learn about coming content. What we got is what we already knew and something that, from what we know, can be any of a massive number of things.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Posts: 19,661Registered Users
    NeoYas said:

SiWI said:

NeoYas said:

I agree, the only thing positive is "Some Old Friends" while the rest is just a compilation of what we got, and a free LL + update was expected.

I wouldn't call it the only positive, since A we know LP's still means FLC LL and B I think the whole thing is even more elusive then the rest.

Because quite frankly, how the last old friend went, it can be basically anything.

I don't think Kemmel thinks of Krell as "friend" or has reference him as such. Yet Krell it was.

Now don't get me wrong, I see plausible ideas what the old friends can be but its overall so open that it really can be everything...
    There is a difference, this time we know when this "Old Friend" will be released (september), and in plural It's more specific, that means It's not a single character, but a duo at least.
    It could also be something that was in earlier TWs but is not in this one like...command groups, our old friends.

• NyxilisNyxilis Posts: 2,975Registered Users

NeoYas said:

SiWI said:

NeoYas said:

It could also be something that was in earlier TWs but is not in this one like...command groups, our old friends.
    Interesting point... hm.....
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 3,922Registered Users
    This is why I wonder why people are so desperate for these FLC arrays, at no point have they ever told us something we don't already know.
    edited July 19

This is why I wonder why people are so desperate for these FLC arrays, at no point have they ever told us something we don't already know.

What do you mean? FLC made it more or less clear how DLC would develop with time. It allowed to at least discuss the possibilities.

Nothing has to be outright stated but this one is the barest minimum about only next DLC which is being held under wraps. Before that we were more or less aware what LPs would look like but now we don't know anything since CA hasn't gone for a second round before.

They're doing something new and they're saying nothing on what it will look like. They owed us the FLC Array which would have been one info they are supposed to show and they minimized it as much as they could.

So I guess the greatest problem is lack of info in general and one thing that could offer any info for certain was made obsolete.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT

the first Array made it quite possible to predict the numbers of DLC's for it and the types...

thanks to the patten of "new lore of magic" and FLC LL.

The Wh2 array flat out told you which race a FLC LL would be...

if you claim to always knew this things mkay but I for sure didn't.
  • FakeEmperorFakeEmperor Posts: 589Registered Users
    The FLC says nothing? I disagree.
    First of all, only a free lord and OW update were almost guaranteed, now we know that there is more (Old friends).
    Also, they pointed out September as release date, so another important information that CA usually kept for themself before...
    I'm happy of the current informations flow, and i like to speculate and look at other speculations, so i'm fine with all this mistery..
    Didn't you already know? The FLC chart would confirm what people already new. By WH2 we already knew the pattern of FLC falling alongside the release of DLC. A dark/purple background meant DE and a rainforest meant LM.. great.

It's possible that CA already had a solid plan for WH1 but due to how complex adding DLC to ME and the fact they change plans according to feedback more often it makes sense to not plan so far ahead.

First of all, only a free lord and OW update were almost guaranteed, now we know that there is more (Old friends).
    Also, they pointed out September as release date, so another important information that CA usually kept for themself before...
    I'm happy of the current informations flow, and i like to speculate and look at other speculations, so i'm fine with all this mistery..

the relase date isn't on the Array but was gave aside it.

And the "old friends" are so vague that it can be anything.

Didn't you already know? The FLC chart would confirm what people already new. By WH2 we already knew the pattern of FLC falling alongside the release of DLC. A dark/purple background meant DE and a rainforest meant LM.. great.

It's possible that CA already had a solid plan for WH1 but due to how complex adding DLC to ME and the fact they change plans according to feedback more often it makes sense to not plan so far ahead.

No I didn't know which race whould get they FLC LL when in WH2 and it also gave us a clear idea how many DLC were planed at least.
    Also I think you don't remember Wh2 FLC array because that thing simple stated in clear text which race a FLC LL would be no "guessing the background".

Here we know neither the number of DLC nor which race the FLC will be.

I can't really help you if you think that is the same amount of information then we had with WH2 original FLC array.
    SiWI said:

To me, it doesn't matter how they give me infos, as long as they give me infos.
    Even if it is not that much, is still way better than radio silence..
    The old friends can be anything, but i was expecting nothing more than Free LL and OW rework... So, whatever OFs will be, anything is just straight better than nothing

SiWI said:

The old friends can be anything, but i was expecting nothing more than Free LL and OW rework... So, whatever OFs will be, anything is just straight better than nothing
    Well I don't say it is nothing or bad, just that I hoped for more to base future speculation.
    In that regard almost nothing has change.
    Knowing we get 2 pr 2+ LP would have been a indicate if we get crossover or not.
    Knowing the FLC LL would have also help.
    But we don't get either so we are right were we were before the array.

And yes "old friends" whatever they may be will be more then nothing. But it also is no clue about that it will be something.
    SiWI said:

SiWI said:

Well I don't say it is nothing or bad, just that I hoped for more to base future speculation.
    In that regard almost nothing has change.
    Knowing we get 2 pr 2+ LP would have been a indicate if we get crossover or not.
    Knowing the FLC LL would have also help.
    But we don't get either so we are right were we were before the array.

And yes "old friends" whatever they may be will be more then nothing. But it also is no clue about that it will be something.
    If they spoil us on LL and OW, we cannot wildly speculate ...
    I find the speculation game more interesting than the waiting game.
    We should just have a little patience, September is not far away.
    At the moment, i'm happy that they given a rough ETA two months in advance instead of the usual 2-3 weeks of the past LP. I was expecting it in November.
    Now, instead of being "angry" during this period, and then being surprised in September, i'm already "happy" because i know that September is now my month..

N.B. I've put the "...", because i do not really base my "anger" or "happiness" on a video game.
    SiWI said:

No I didn't know which race whould get they FLC LL when in WH2 and it also gave us a clear idea how many DLC were planed at least.
    Also I think you don't remember Wh2 FLC array because that thing simple stated in clear text which race a FLC LL would be no "guessing the background".

Here we know neither the number of DLC nor which race the FLC will be.

I can't really help you if you think that is the same amount of information then we had with WH2 original FLC array.
    TBF it was pretty obvious, I never learned anything new from them. The main issue is people want more or rather exact info and I just don't think that's available anymore. They may have a lot of the FLC already completed and just may want to keep their options open.

Ideally I'd like more exact and long term information but I don't think I'll get it. Oh well..
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 15,405Registered Users
    SiWI said:

There is less to speculate on but I think that's a good thing. They've told us all they're willing to tell. I don't particularly want to guess at what a picture of some forest or whatever means.

Now I grant you that a picture behind "old friends" which isn't 100% clear what it means, would have been devastating but I don't necessary see that falling behind Wh2 original array is a good thing in terms of clear information.
    I would agree but that was subject to change and we didn't know what was coming or when.

Here we know there's 3 bits of FLC, they're all coming with the DLC. It's a trade off, more information with previous charts, but that's less specific.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.

SiWI said:

I would agree but that was subject to change and we didn't know what was coming or when.

Here we know there's 3 bits of FLC, they're all coming with the DLC. It's a trade off, more information with previous charts, but that's less specific.
    well but change was only a problem because they didn't adjust the array in time.
    and I don't think it was so spontaneous that they couldn't have done that.

And how is it more information?
    The original had what 5 flcs it showed?
    how for mulitple DLC's mind you.

How is now 3 FLC shown for 1 DLC more information?
    edited July 20
    SiWI said:

SiWI said:

well but change was only a problem because they didn't adjust the array in time.
    and I don't think it was so spontaneous that they couldn't have done that.

And how is it more information?
    The original had what 5 flcs it showed?
    how for mulitple DLC's mind you.

How is now 3 FLC shown for 1 DLC more information?
    In addition only one of them is new info.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT