Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Could we see a day and night cycle for Warhammer III and its mega campaign?

PatriksevePatrikseve MemberPosts: 1,657Registered Users
edited July 18 in General Discussion
I have been thinking about this from two standpoints for a long time. One is the simpler one Im really hoping for firstly, it was an amazing addition in the latest Civilization title and it was great and still is in Three Kingdoms. Im a big fan for small details in games that helps immersion a bit or just looks great if possible. In 4x games the constant day never sat right with me that was common, same with static planets/asteroids and more in space ones. But if we go back to Total Warhammer, I hope we can get to see this happen. I have used mods to darken the Warhammer old and new world as game 1 and 2 released and it looks absolutely amazing when its darker and all the torches and lights pop more. With some work there I think it could be enchanced even more with a steady sunrise, and moon rise maybe some reflektions with a glimpse of the green moon and such. Essentially the lighning change and change of day and night could be a visuall treat. I think while cosmetic it could just add an extra touch to what is one of the most beautifull 4x campaign maps out there both old world and new world look amazing as they are.

Then theres the other perspective and it ties directly into a game mechanic that I have found problematic in the past. Night battles often in the historical titles demanded perks or certain skills to be unlocked and never really truly had its own benefit or impact in my games even if I used them much. I also felt the lightning was a bit flat torches never poped up right and cast light and shadow well and it just been there but not used to its full potentiall. I want a change here for future games aswell. Im thinking night battles for Warhammer could benefit certain factions, undead, skaven and gobblin units and perhaps others like beastmen. In the sence of special buffs, additions to camouflage/hiding and more in battle. Same as day battles would benefit many order factions vs some factions. I wouldnt also mind if the battles had a dynamic clock in the background so a battle map could change to day or night etc and the various buffs and other would change depending on time of day depending on faction. However the problem is of course battle times... how long should it takes when battles arent to long. Is a day 15-20 minutes in game with an ingame option to specify ourselves, sieges could then have a change of light and longer battles to. I do know that rts and many games in other genres have done this for a long time and Total War could aswell. And say a vampire ambush during night time could change if it fails and is prolonged into day with perhaps options to turn the tables around on the enemy if they are a faction that can overcome its weakness with daylight.

I know people want changes to things like siege, I think night time battles and day and nigh cycles is up there aswell and could be a powerful addition not only visually but also mechanically, traits, perks and more and also help add another dimension alongside battle terrain and perhaps if they expand on weather aswell more of that. It could also be a way to bring more grimness into some factions when faced at night say undead and beastmen etc.

Comments

• neodeinosneodeinos Posts: 2,145Registered Users
    I'd love to see the day and night cycle like the one in 3K and you can even change the settings for it which is great. Also having the seasons system would be pretty cool, at least for Athel Loren.
  • NopeacejustwarNopeacejustwar Posts: 897Registered Users
    I think we will in real time given the length of the turns.
  • Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Posts: 1,371Registered Users
    The Night Gobbos approve of this idea. That way they can run away from any daylight conflicts before they start.
  • mightygloinmightygloin Posts: 1,450Registered Users
    Also proper night battles with two moons in the sky. Cant be a true WH game without them moons no?
  • darkgaia01darkgaia01 Posts: 186Registered Users
    rather see something more like vampire and chaos areas get darker the more their corruption they have to give the campaign map that feeling of darkness creeping over the land
  • PatriksevePatrikseve Member Posts: 1,657Registered Users

rather see something more like vampire and chaos areas get darker the more their corruption they have to give the campaign map that feeling of darkness creeping over the land

Why not both? I mean its not impossible they are enchancing the visuals a bit a since game 3 will have lots of chaos factions they might even work on making the corruption and so on even better looking. Essentially they could use lightning, shadow and darkness to help push the visual aspect of the 4x map. But also maybe tie it into the battles themselves a bit more. I have always felt night time battles in TW have been there but never truly used in a way they could. With Warhammer they could really play with the effects of night vs day and inbetween. Its a good setting to make use of the night time battles for something that have true and usable in game use but also might be a weapon against you if you play a faction that prefer day light battles.

Also proper night battles with two moons in the sky. Cant be a true WH game without them moons no?

Yes should def. I would love to see the moons in battle aswell.

I think we will in real time given the length of the turns.

Hmm I never really struggled with that long load times in mortal empires, but I was suggesting a slider then you could set it as you want. Wouldnt be impossible to ad a realtime cycle I guess either. And if your comp is truly slow you could watch as the Ai takes its turns while sun sets quiet relaxing.

• John_KimbleJohn_Kimble Posts: 425Registered Users
    edited July 19
    Always wanted a day-night cycle in WH. Not really sure why it's not in the game.
    Season changes would also be really sweet, thought they would require a bit more work (despite some areas basically not changing at all).

And yea, i'm still baffled by the absence of proper night battles with the iconic twin moons in the sky. Or by the absence of a proper sun/moon skybox in general.
    It's even more annoying if you consider the promotional artwork for both game 1 (Vampire COunts) and more recently game 2 (Vampire Coast), which clearly showe screenshots with twin moons in the sky. Why do that if that's literally not even in the game?

I've returned to Vermintide 2 recently, and god, thats how you properly portray a Warhammer skybox...
  • goliath55goliath55 Posts: 453Registered Users
    I don't mind this as long as they give us campaign map graphical options... Adding this effect would choke the turn times even further. Let me make the campaign map look like a potato if it makes the turn times quicker.
  • FrostPawFrostPaw Junior Member Posts: 1,080Registered Users
    Probably omitted from day 1 design. Due to Undead/Vampires complicating the issue and it taking some explaining why time passes but nobody ages. Then you have the fact the first game was made to a smaller budget scope than what we have now.
  • neodeinosneodeinos Posts: 2,145Registered Users
    goliath55 said:

I don't mind this as long as they give us campaign map graphical options... Adding this effect would choke the turn times even further. Let me make the campaign map look like a potato if it makes the turn times quicker.

Probably won't. Size of the map or quality of it is not the main issue for the turn times, it is the amount of factions.
    edited July 19
    neodeinos said:

goliath55 said:

Probably won't. Size of the map or quality of it is not the main issue for the turn times, it is the amount of factions.
    I think this is correct, I still dont think it would be a high impact, if they program it right it could be turned off aswell like in most games with this in the campaign map. Or you could just use the sliders/options to toggle permanent day or night etc. The performance hog might come into play if they decide to do a leap in terms of shadows, lightning, better skyboxes for nights and torches in battles and other lightningsources. Essentially something more dynamic, that is not flat and truly pop and cast proper shadows and such. For Warhammer III om course hoping for both, and actually turning nightbatlles/day battles into something more could enchance our tactical and strategic gameplay and push more flair into night time factions like undead or maybe in more day time factions like the empire. And I think many fans of Warhammer would love to see the moons.

• Bonutz619Bonutz619 Posts: 1,025Registered Users
    Night battles in Warhammer would be a godsend.