Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Announcing the Eight Princes Chapter Pack!

1235»

Comments

• RustedybaRustedyba Posts: 81Registered Users
    No addition for main map means no money from my side. .I am not interested.
  • johncagejohncage Posts: 246Registered Users
    ca, will the dlc contain bucket sleeves,correctly depicted basin collars, larger versions of the small scale collar with back of neck coverage so we can use it on all the heavy and elite troops as well as hero characters?

or are you saving that for another dlc?

• dario6666dario6666 Posts: 187Registered Users
    Are we gonna have any kind of new siege units or the only unique unit trebuchet?
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,597Registered Users
    Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Imnuktam said:

I would definitely rather have a dlc that goes along with main campaign. I loved back in the day the early game where everyone is alive and there are characters everywhere with their one piece of land trying to expand.

One thing that would really add longevity to total war game is a character creator.

Give people an open sandbox type game where you can put all generals in game in the same campaign and let people create their own ruler. Then you all start with one piece of land and try to take it all.

If you guys are going to keep making dlcs for new periods I would really love to play from the early inception of the han dynasty on.

One of the main problems with a character creator is that a made up characters might overshadow an established and popular characters, also it can take a lot of work, and right now the main characters are not even able to inherit their armor to their children.
    I don't see this as a problem since I'd be the one that created the characters for my game. It doesn't effect anyone else's.
    It's effect the game's sells and challenge, it's would be better for CA to add characters with DLCs.
  • GelstonGelston Senior Member Posts: 1,583Registered Users
    Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Imnuktam said:

I would definitely rather have a dlc that goes along with main campaign. I loved back in the day the early game where everyone is alive and there are characters everywhere with their one piece of land trying to expand.

One thing that would really add longevity to total war game is a character creator.

Give people an open sandbox type game where you can put all generals in game in the same campaign and let people create their own ruler. Then you all start with one piece of land and try to take it all.

If you guys are going to keep making dlcs for new periods I would really love to play from the early inception of the han dynasty on.

One of the main problems with a character creator is that a made up characters might overshadow an established and popular characters, also it can take a lot of work, and right now the main characters are not even able to inherit their armor to their children.
    I don't see this as a problem since I'd be the one that created the characters for my game. It doesn't effect anyone else's.
    It's effect the game's sells and challenge, it's would be better for CA to add characters with DLCs.
    I don't see how, they'd obviously have it balanced. I'd buy a character creator in an instant, so I could create me to rule over China.
    Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Imnuktam said:

I don't see how, they'd obviously have it balanced. I'd buy a character creator in an instant, so I could create me to rule over China.
    It's a hard thing to balance, and CA could have much more sells from established characters DLCs.
    edited July 18
    Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Imnuktam said:

It's a hard thing to balance, and CA could have much more sells from established characters DLCs.
    I don't see how it'd be any harder to balance than the random character creator that exists now. And seriously, I'm not saying only do a character creator and not add more historical charscterscti the game. I'd like them to do both.
    edited July 18
    Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Imnuktam said:

I don't see how it'd be any harder to balance than the random character creator that exists now.
    Some traits and combos are better than others, and that's why most games don't have both options.
    Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Imnuktam said:

I don't see how it'd be any harder to balance than the random character creator that exists now.
    Some traits and combos are better than others, and that's why most games don't have both options.
    I'm failing to see the issue here. So you can create a slightly more powerful lord in a single player atmosphere. So what?
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 3,284Registered Users
    Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Imnuktam said:

You can actually do that using variant editor. Then enable one od the unplayable faction, rename it to your name whatsoeever and then go and conquer China.
    LestaT said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Imnuktam said:

You can actually do that using variant editor. Then enable one od the unplayable faction, rename it to your name whatsoeever and then go and conquer China.
    I've heard that, but I'm to stupid and busy to mod things. I loved the mod in WH2 that allowed you to create characters and pick traits though. I was mostly hoping one like that would come out, but an official one would be cake.
    Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Imnuktam said:

I'm failing to see the issue here. So you can create a slightly more powerful lord in a single player atmosphere. So what?
    Then why would you buy an DLCs with established characters? the addition is not worth it for CA.
    Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Imnuktam said:

Then why would you buy an DLCs with established characters? the addition is not worth it for CA.
    For the same reason I would without a character creator. You can have both, man. I don't think a character creator would be worth more than about $3. The established characters will come as FLC or in other DLC packs, not by themselves.
    Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Imnuktam said:

For the same reason I would without a character creator. You can have both, man. I don't think a character creator would be worth more than about $3. The established characters will come as FLC or in other DLC packs, not by themselves.
    You can, but in that case more is less, a DLC of that kind is more trouble than it's worth.
    Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Imnuktam said:

You can, but in that case more is less, a DLC of that kind is more trouble than it's worth.
    I honestly don't see the trouble in it, and I think it would be pretty popular. I'd imagine with it, they'd also release a bunch of new generic general portraits.
    united84 said:

Mia022018 said:

no new weapons, no new unit, only new horse amour, 8 new characters. Thats what i have seen so far, all general come along with these princes are generic. The worse DLC i have ever seen

You know what, you might have a valid point.

I was comparing 8 Princes to other DLCs such as Tomb Kings and even RoR.

TWW2 TK DLC,

1. Completely new race.
    2. 4 Lords which all of their assets are done from scratch. No recycled materials.
    3. New tech tree..very unique. In fact, Tomb Kings tech tree is one of the best I have seen.
    4. Completely new units rosters. 0% recycled.
    5. Even had some cool mechanics like crafting.
    6. Cons - Slightly more expensive but expected as CA had to pay royalty to GW.

8 Princes,

1. Mostly recycled materials from TW3K. Even the generics.
    2. Anticipated big sales (at the time of writing, DLC is sitting at top 5 top seller) but production cost is some of the cheapest.
    3. Those who says 8P DLC is cheaper than TWW DLC. Well, there's no royalty to pay and it benefits from economies of scale.

I really hope the FLC is something worth while or risk losing the momentum gained from the success of TW3K.
    Creative Assembly should had focused first on adding more content to the main campaign.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 36,193Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    So far it looks like the FLC has new units and armours for the main campaign. https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/247496/eight-princes-further-information-and-free-content

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
    Gelston said:

LestaT said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Imnuktam said:

I've heard that, but I'm to stupid and busy to mod things. I loved the mod in WH2 that allowed you to create characters and pick traits though. I was mostly hoping one like that would come out, but an official one would be cake.
    Total War Games are not an RPG Games, and even not all RPG Games has an character creator.
    Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

LestaT said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Gelston said:

Tayvar said:

Imnuktam said:

Total War Games are not an RPG Games, and even not all RPG Games has an character creator.
    No one said it was. I'm asking for a feature, you don't need to constantly try and bash it. You've said you don't want it, cool. No need to continue. Have a nice day.

I agree with what several of you have said that this is a bad pick by CA to be the first DLC. This would be fine after we got several 3 Kingdoms start points though. Right now CA should be focused on adding different start points to the 3 Kingdoms period rather then doing periods after the 3 kingdoms which has characters that most people won't care about.

If CA worked on more time periods within the 3 Kingdoms time period it would add more characters, units and features to the other campaigns when we went back and played them as well.

I really want all the start scenarios that the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms games by Tecmo Koie give.

Yes Jin Dynasty era was "little" far away, and it could had been an stand alone, like Attila.
  • johncagejohncage Posts: 246Registered Users
    yep absolutely. wish the old ca crew would come back. the new guys are hipsters or something
  • Kongming1122Kongming1122 Posts: 18Registered Users
    I'm a little late to the discussion but I agree with most that it's feels somewhat awkward to release 8P before releasing more DLC for the core game and adding more content into the main campaign. The 3K era and romance is so rich with characters, factions, stories, etc that the base game has built a fantastic foundation but there is so much more that can be added. It just feels a little off for the first major DLC to jump straight to one century later...

Then again... can't complain too much over a $8 DLC...
  • burgaudburgaud Posts: 74Registered Users
    TW:3K will indeed be a milking cash cow for CA...

Wait for the Autumn Spring Era DLC, Warring States, Mongolian Invasion, Opium Wars to include lotsa European powers against Qing Dynasty and lastly the Qing Dyansty, KMT, CPP, Japanese invasion army from 1900 to 1949.

• WhiteHorseMemesWhiteHorseMemes Posts: 331Registered Users
    edited July 23
    I hope they do all of that. I've wanted a China Total War game since the original Shogun. It's long overdue for any video game to cover many of the interesting periods and civil wars of Chinese history. There's so many to cover, many of which receive little attention, such as the period in between Tang and Song, the Sixteen Kingdoms, the rise of the Mongols, the Warring States, the Taiping Rebellion, etc...