Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Meet Sima Lun

CA_EllaCA_Ella Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team Posts: 336

Meet Sima Lun, a new playable warlord in Eight Princes. Sima Lun was the ninth, and youngest, son of the esteemed Sima Yi and has inherited the limitless ambition of his father. Although his style of governance is unproven, he has the favour of the empress - a great advantage for one so untested.

To find out more about him, including his playstyle, start position, and more, click here: https://www.totalwar.com/games/three-kingdoms/eight-princes/sima-lun/

Comments

• Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,710
    edited July 2019
    Smarmy-looking bugger, isn't he? Makes me want to punch him in the teeth. Which is a credit to whoever designs the characters I guess! XD

Woah, hold the phone. He enables Guerrilla Deployment for his whole army, and Stalk for his own retinue? Wow, that's a real nasty combination when you mix it with heavy cavalry.
  • Grimgor_the_CAkeGrimgor_the_CAke Registered Users Posts: 1,746
    Esteemed Sima Yi... cough... cough...
  • Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Registered Users Posts: 2,383
    He's got that face, where, it feels like he farted on your dinner... and now he's just waiting for you to take a bite. Typical Sima boy...
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • markp27markp27 Registered Users Posts: 1,531
    I don't get why he is a commander. It states his style of governance is unproven, which suggests he has no experience commanding people. His playstyle is more that of a strategist, so he makes little sense.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,781
    markp27 said:

I don't get why he is a commander. It states his style of governance is unproven, which suggests he has no experience commanding people. His playstyle is more that of a strategist, so he makes little sense.

It's not what you know it's who you know.
    edited July 2019

markp27 said:

It's not what you know it's who you know.
    Aye seems that way.
  • RewanRewan Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,228
    The warlords are nice and dandy...

... but could we get info about the tech tree ?
    TW : Three Kingdoms. Units not running in battles ? You probably came down to a bad case of floor is caltrops. Use this miraculous cure to make your soldiers hoppity happy again : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2132907090 (NEW : Alternatively use the 1.6.1 BETA patch)
  • FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 3,368
    Someone mentioned to me that he's wearing a party hat and now I can't unsee it...
    Fossoway said:

Someone mentioned to me that he's wearing a party hat and now I can't unsee it...

.... Dammit, now I can't either!
  • Ephraim_DaltonEphraim_Dalton Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 26,029

Fossoway said:

.... Dammit, now I can't either!
    There's only one solution then!

Oh gods.
    What have you done.
    TW : Three Kingdoms. Units not running in battles ? You probably came down to a bad case of floor is caltrops. Use this miraculous cure to make your soldiers hoppity happy again : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2132907090 (NEW : Alternatively use the 1.6.1 BETA patch)
  • zerkmannzerkmann Registered Users Posts: 348
    I like how the snake imagery is all over his character design. From his face to his outfit.

Also yeah its weird that he's a commander. Even considering his special traits, he looks more like a strategist.
    British people will get this if old enough.

Can't get the Keith and Orville song out my head now after seeing that picture. "I wish I could fly".

Others will have to look it up :D
  • WhiteHorseMemesWhiteHorseMemes Registered Users Posts: 331
    I think strategist would have worked for him, but I understand what they're doing here. They made his right hand man Sun Xiu the strategist instead. Sun Xiu was a controversial individual who was hated across the Empire. Numerous people accused him of misdeeds and called for his execution. Despite his less than likeable personality, as well as probable misdeeds while in office, he was a talented advisor and offered excellent advice to Sima Lun at times.

Lun's playstyle is interesting and his starting position is pretty good, unless he has to deal with nomad factions in the northeast or something. Otherwise he can go take up all the nice agriculture real estate that Yuan Shao typically is privy to.
  • RikisRikis Registered Users Posts: 1,289
    Although spying and subterfuge are not my thing I might try him first just to try and get a good spy game going. Besides his similar mechanic to Cao Cao which I very much liked is just the cherry on top.
  • RocketlegionRocketlegion Member Registered Users Posts: 669
    I Decided to buy this DLC just because of that smug face.
  • BoombastekBoombastek Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Omg no uniq characters instead Sima boys?

Meeeeh

Meeeeh

I do think that's a missed opportunity. I would have liked to have seen characters like Sun Xiu or Zhang Fang be unique. It seems like only the Simas get special treatment, and maybe Jia Nanfeng if we're lucky?
  • zerkmannzerkmann Registered Users Posts: 348

Meeeeh

I do think that's a missed opportunity. I would have liked to have seen characters like Sun Xiu or Zhang Fang be unique. It seems like only the Simas get special treatment, and maybe Jia Nanfeng if we're lucky?
    Jia Nanfeng is already in the DLC banner. She looks old for some reason though.
  • SavageSavantSavageSavant Registered Users Posts: 176
    edited July 2019
    Post Han Dynasty -
    Any Prince, Duke or King stupid enough to declare themselves Emperor w/o first uniting (at least) half the realm, having the full support of their subjects & also a sincere endorsement from one, or more of the major lords yet to be conquered ....is simply begging to be attacked from all sides, by friend & foe alike.

So, Sima Lun was either; slow as pond water, taking terrible advice or too impatient!

Probably all three!
    Bit of a different situation since in theory at least, the realm was unified under the Jin dynasty already. Sima Lun had possession of the Emperor, who was slow (you know what I mean) and incompetent, and had him abdicate. As the youngest son of Sima Yi, he could claim to have legitimacy at least in terms of being of the royal line. He could also claim that the former Emperor was inept for the task, which was accurate, because he was.

Otherwise I kind of agree. The usurpation was premature. Sima Lun likely needed to invite the other princes over to a council and acquire their recognition first, or at least the recognition that Sima Zhong was unfit to rule, followed by some kind of power sharing deal. This would have been dangerous as well, however, as it is just as possible the princes would have brought their own armed retinues to the capital regardless. The invitation of civil war "in earnest" was not necessarily Sima Lun's fault entirely, and was rooted more in the power dynamics that had been taking place from the end of the Late-Han and through the War of the Eight Princes. A bigger problem than Sima Lun's usurpation was the fact that provincial magnates had their own pool of resources and manpower, and were not in any way dependent on the central government.
  • foureyes85foureyes85 Registered Users Posts: 175
    Compared to Sima Wei's bonuses Sima Lun's bonuses seem really bad.

Sima Lun:

Stalk (own retinue) - given that he is a commander will we see cavalry with stalk?
    Guerilla development (own army)
    -10 diplomatic attitude penality

Sima Wei:

+10% melee damage (faction-wide)
    +15% campaign movement range (faction-wide)
    +10% replenishment (faction-wide)

Sima Wei seem suitable for newbies.

Sima Lun's focus on spies is interesting, but I think the spy system in 3K needs to be improved somewhat. Right now is it even possible to be certain that a particular character is a spy? I don't think there is a way, one can just use assignments and followers to make enemy spies less effective. In addition, I don't think one can do anything at all to ensure that a spy does not switch side. The wavering loyalty message is just a warning - it gives no options.
    Sima Lun has a much better class when it comes to leading a faction because authority gives factionwide satisfaction.
    I've made a thread in which I proposed an improvement with spies. I'd like to see a button in battle appear if your spy is a general leading a retinue on the other side. this would send a signal to your agent to have them defect. This would make spies a bit better imo, as it would be very strong to be able to use the surprise factor of a defection during battle.

I think Sima Wei's bonuses are better, but Lun's are more fun.
  • AxlswhkAxlswhk Registered Users Posts: 216
    edited July 2019
    He looks more like an Arab than Chinese.