Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Anybody ever wondered what's in the Southern Wastes?

amon_chakaiamon_chakai Posts: 109Registered Users
So over the years GW released an ever changing Warhammer Fantasy world and expanded on a number of places which were rather vague in the beginning (Lustria, Albion Norsca) but I haven't ever read much about the Southern Chaos Wastes.

Anyone know any lore/fluff about this place?

The only thing I could find was the following from the Lexicarnum (apparently referenced from the 7th edition Beastmen book):

Surrounding the South Pole are the Southern Chaos Wastes. Containing one of the highest concentrations of Beastmen in the whole world, this continent is thankfully separated from all others by water.

Anybody have any theories? Supposedly the southern polar gate of the Old Ones collapsed around the same time as the nothern gate. The difference I would assume, however, is that the southern pole is relatively lifeless, like Antarctica, compared to the north pole which borders/connects to most of the world. Therefore, in the south, there would very little life for Chaos to corrupt into spawn, monsters and beastmen.

The WHFB world map (from 7th edition I think) shows the message "here be daemons" in the southern wastes. So daemons then, not beastmen? Doesn't that that make more sense? In an Antarctic-like wasteland what would beastmen do without the forest? Eat each other? Hunt seals?

In Total War, beastmen can traverse the sea (on the back of some kind of leviathan monster?). The lore above, however, says "this continent is thankfully separated from all others by water." Possibily meaning that there are no trees there to make boats (assuming beastmen would know how to make a crude vessel).

So yeah, just wondering out loud here. The southern pole, Antactica, has always been a source of mystery and fascination, a place where "nature conquers man". And of course a source for fantasy and sci-fi material too, from crashed alien UFOs (the Thing) to first human civilization cities (AvP), Nazi bases and Lovecraftian ancient gods (Mountains of Madness).

Comments

• Rochaid29Rochaid29 Senior Member Posts: 1,249Registered Users
    edited July 18
    If you read the Archaon book he goes to the southern wastes for the armor or Morkar.. its mostly beastmen a bit more "uncivilized" than their northern chums.
  • SteppelordSteppelord Junior Member Posts: 2,110Registered Users
    This is one of those warhammer things that doesn't make sense. Beastmen are too dumb to create ships, they're even dumber than greenskins, cuz they're literally animals.

But if it contains no opportunity for life, then which humans do the beastmen come from?
  • amon_chakaiamon_chakai Posts: 109Registered Users
    edited July 18
    Rochaid29 said:

If you read the Archaon book he goes to the southern wastes for the armor or Morkar.. its mostly beastmen a bit more "uncivilized" than their northern chums.

Oh really? So that must mean, basically, that they mostly eat each other to survive....lol

This is one of those warhammer things that doesn't make sense. Beastmen are too dumb to create ships, they're even dumber than greenskins, cuz they're literally animals.

But if it contains no opportunity for life, then which humans do the beastmen come from?

But yeah.... where would the beastmen come from in the first place....?

Rochaid29 said:

Oh really? So that must mean, basically, that they mostly eat each other to survive....lol
    Yeah the book covers that as well.. all they do is fight and eat each other
    edited July 18
    So maybe the Archaon book retconned previous material? The following if from 8th edition WoC, I think:

Archaon later found Morkar's armour in an undiscovered realm populated by savage half-humans. Archaon and the Swords of Chaos gave battle to these benighted creatures for six days and six nights until their city lay in ruins. In the depths of their necropolis, Archaon uncovered the tomb of Morkar.

A city and necropolis..... doesn't sound like your average beastmen.

So maybe the Archaon book retconned previous material? The following if from 8th edition WoC, I think:

Archaon later found Morkar's armour in an undiscovered realm populated by savage half-humans. Archaon and the Swords of Chaos gave battle to these benighted creatures for six days and six nights until their city lay in ruins. In the depths of their necropolis, Archaon uncovered the tomb of Morkar.

Yeah it was definitely changed. in the book the armor is in a cave on top of a mountain, and the beasties are semi-nomadic, think there was a mention of an old razed city but i haven't touched that blasphemous book since I read it for the first time years ago.

• Unruly_MarmiteUnruly_Marmite Junior Member Posts: 161Registered Users
    Wasn't there some lore that the Elves and Lizardmen managed to completely seal off the Southern Chaos Gate and ring the whole place with fortresses, and the gate only re-opened when everything went to hell in the End Times? I think I remember reading that somewhere.
  • OdTengriOdTengri Posts: 2,886Registered Users

Anybody have any theories? Supposedly the southern polar gate of the Old Ones collapsed around the same time as the nothern gate. The difference I would assume, however, is that the southern pole is relatively lifeless, like Antarctica, compared to the north pole which borders/connects to most of the world. Therefore, in the south, there would very little life for Chaos to corrupt into spawn, monsters and beastmen.

This is not true, chaos can and does corrupt the environment it can turn what should otherwise be a frozen wasteland into lush jungle of verdant fields. The chaos wastes are constantly changing.
    Give us Doombull, Great Bray-Shaman, Wargor, and Tuskgor Chariot.

• imnrkimnrk Posts: 190Registered Users
    Rochaid29 said:

Yeah it was definitely changed. in the book the armor is in a cave on top of a mountain, and the beasties are semi-nomadic, think there was a mention of an old razed city but i haven't touched that blasphemous book since I read it for the first time years ago.

For real. Archaon 2 (forgot the name) is literally one of the worst books I've ever read, to the point where any mention of it as canon makes me seethe with white rage and foam at the mouth.
  • Grom_the_PaunchGrom_the_Paunch Posts: 1,111Registered Users
    I always find it's best not to think about what's in the Southern Wastes. Venomous killer penguins probably. Local Chaos Warriors with corks dangling from their helmets. Bouncing beastmen carrying their young in pouches and throwing a mean left hook at anything they fancy tearing up for dinner... Oh no... I'm thinking about it again...
  • NyxilisNyxilis Posts: 2,975Registered Users
    It's pretty simple, the area is saturated with chaos. And as OddTengri stated Chaos does weird things. It can't really apply proper logic to the environment no more than you can the wastes of the north. It's just.. something entirely else. And will probably be different in but a scant few years.
  • Combat_WombatCombat_Wombat Posts: 4,092Registered Users
    Whatever qualifies as a toilet in the Chaos realms, I'm sure the southern wastes are the other end.
  • FungusHoundFungusHound Posts: 2,123Registered Users
    Chaos Penguins is the obvious answer.

Its a crying shame there was never a Chaos Penguin army list
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 759Registered Users
    edited July 19
    The Reefs could just be very high or dangerous to make building a boat impossible.

U can still have trees in an ice/snow area with mammoths etc. Demons and Beastman are both creations of Chaos.

And Chaos changes constantly according to people above so that would solve just about everything.

Its something like the '' Winter is coming '' but never from behind there ( the Frozen wall )
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 759Registered Users

They are half-human and half-beast, so why would they be too stupid to make boats and if so, Chaos can make them boats or slaves?
  • VildvargVildvarg Posts: 109Registered Users

I always find it's best not to think about what's in the Southern Wastes. Venomous killer penguins probably. Local Chaos Warriors with corks dangling from their helmets. Bouncing beastmen carrying their young in pouches and throwing a mean left hook at anything they fancy tearing up for dinner... Oh no... I'm thinking about it again...

You should write for Games Workshop
  • Bonutz619Bonutz619 Posts: 742Registered Users
    There be Daemons, OP.
  • PaulHPaulH Posts: 1,293Registered Users
    We know that the Warp Dragons have their origins in the Southern Wastes, and that the only ones to have left there are the 'small' ones, with the leading theory that they were muscled out by some more titanic sized warp dragons.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 9,616Registered Users
    Chaos... Penguins!
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?
  • ErathilErathil Posts: 478Registered Users
    Monstrous Arcana said that Warpfire Dragons are native to the Southern Chaos Wastes.

It's rife with warpstone, and colossal dragons have become mutated, warped monstrosities there. It's implied that Warpfire Dragons seen in the rest of the world are young who have fled, for fear of being cannibalized by their elder kin.
  • ReeksReeks Posts: 1,794Registered Users
    Reading the Archaon books atm and he went there for a chaos treasure, the whole continent is filled with demons and beastmen and monsters engaged in never ending conflict, the beastmen there are a mix of beast and demon opposed in the old world and the northern pole where they are a mix of man and beast, around the broken portal of the southern wastes are the dread palaces of greater demons.
    So, in conclusion, the Southern Wastes is basically just one big Chaos free-for-all. Which, coincidentally, is what Chaos wanted for the whole world..... not to blow it up. This being my main argument against End Times.