Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

What do they eat

2»

Comments

• BronzebeardBronzebeard Posts: 197Registered Users
    Arsenic said:

I have a feeling the high elves are vegan, just because they like to tell everyone they are vegan.

I dunno, they hunt White Lions and wear their fur, that seems to rule out veganism.

Think they're more the Nouvelle Cuisine type, miniscule portions of food styled very daintily for maximum presentation value. Then when no-one's looking they pop over to Cothique for a sneaky fish n chips.
    White Lions could be a fruit?
  • OgrechubbsOgrechubbs Posts: 96Registered Users
    OdTengri said:

Dwarfs and elves eat like humans as far as I'm aware.

Skaven eat everything even their own dead.

Orcs eat anything mostly meat.

Lizardmen are carnivores.

Vampires eat magic and Souls.

Tomb Kings don't eat, unless they forget that they're dead.

Lizardmen eat other stuff to like fruits and bugs. They said in one of the stories that the handlers of a slann mage priest was refusing to move him until he had enough something grubbs for him to eat because they were his favs.
  • ErminazErminaz Senior Member Las Vegas, Nevada, USAPosts: 5,559Registered Users
    edited July 19

Arsenic said:

I have a feeling the high elves are vegan, just because they like to tell everyone they are vegan.

I dunno, they hunt White Lions and wear their fur, that seems to rule out veganism.

Think they're more the Nouvelle Cuisine type, miniscule portions of food styled very daintily for maximum presentation value. Then when no-one's looking they pop over to Cothique for a sneaky fish n chips.
    White Lions could be a fruit?
    Stop your beard wagging and go drink that mountain goat urine you call beer to help you swallow your bread shaped concrete so that I may eat this exquisite veal and drink my wine in peace.
    Tacitus Quotes:
    Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
    They plunder, they slaughter, and they steal: this they falsely name Empire, and where they make a wasteland, they call it peace.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

I found Rome a city of filth covered marble and left it a pile of rubble. - Me
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,715Registered Users
    edited July 20
    uriak said:

Nice, that's the kind of discussion I hoped for :3

I feel many LM being insectivores makes them much more believable, we can expect Lustria to be VERY productive to that regard.

What was the canon information about GS farming ? I suppose they can, and I remember a story about one orc journey to becoming a boar boy, starting from a herd that they were keeping for this. When you think about it, in several way, GS are kind of dim witted normal people, with just that profond urge to fight (instead of other kind of instincts people may have) They have an abundant underclass for a lot of things.

The quickest reference I could find seem to say Orcs & Goblins Armybook 8th Ed. page. 8-9., but I don't have it on me to double check. I feel pretty confident it's been mentioned though, or at least alluded to.
    Post edited by Sir_Godspeed on
  • WyvaxWyvax Posts: 1,984Registered Users
    uriak said:

Nice, that's the kind of discussion I hoped for :3

I feel many LM being insectivores makes them much more believable, we can expect Lustria to be VERY productive to that regard.

What was the canon information about GS farming ? I suppose they can, and I remember a story about one orc journey to becoming a boar boy, starting from a herd that they were keeping for this. When you think about it, in several way, GS are kind of dim witted normal people, with just that profond urge to fight (instead of other kind of instincts people may have) They have an abundant underclass for a lot of things.

Do you remember the name of that story? I'm interested.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed

It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
  • EnforestEnforest Posts: 2,033Registered Users
    Stone Bread is an utterly ridicilous thing that WH writers came up with. Really? How the hell do you ferment a stone?

Demand more love for Empire, Greenskins and Beastmen! Playable Middenland with Cult of Ulric! Expanded Beastmen roster with Ghorgon and Jabberslythe! Bring back Black Orcs variants and Orc Big Boss heroes!
  • zerkmannzerkmann Posts: 348Registered Users
    Greenskins actually farm squiggs. (although this is more borrowed from 40k lore so I'm not sure how much of it is also true fro WHFB)

• Combat_WombatCombat_Wombat Posts: 4,092Registered Users
    This was interesting to read through until I realized... it's all rather obvious. Beastmen eat anything an animal would. Humans, Elves, Dwarves have basically the same diet. Ogres and Skaven eat anything. Undead **** DONT eat. Lizardmen are pretty similar to humans but with more bugs...

The only factions without a 'duh' diet are the greenskins and Chaos. Greenskins have shrooms and squigs which is interesting but what do chaos factions eat? Is it really just plot lunch or do their dark god overlords provide small edible wriggly tentacle monsters?
  • WyvaxWyvax Posts: 1,984Registered Users

This was interesting to read through until I realized... it's all rather obvious. Beastmen eat anything an animal would. Humans, Elves, Dwarves have basically the same diet. Ogres and Skaven eat anything. Undead **** DONT eat. Lizardmen are pretty similar to humans but with more bugs...

The only factions without a 'duh' diet are the greenskins and Chaos. Greenskins have shrooms and squigs which is interesting but what do chaos factions eat? Is it really just plot lunch or do their dark god overlords provide small edible wriggly tentacle monsters?

Presumably some of them don't eat as a form of "blessing", though that's certainly not the case for most. I don't remember where, but recently I stumbled upon a blurb that cannibalism does occur in the Wastes. Which isn't to surprising, Sigvald did it, and just looking at everything Chaos stands for, cannibalism isn't a stretch.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed

It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
  • ErminazErminaz Senior Member Las Vegas, Nevada, USAPosts: 5,559Registered Users
    edited July 20
    In Tamurkhan, while his horde is in the wastes, there are three sources of food that are consumed by the "mortal" members of the horde. Monsters that they kill, forage that grows naturally (Sayl the Faithless sends out his riders specifically to gather what grew in the area before the others in the horde could so that he can use it as leverage, which might I add was not really enough to sustain a horde of that size), and cannibalism of the weak, captives from rivals, and those who speak against their leaders (as the food gets scarce).
    Tacitus Quotes:
    Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
    They plunder, they slaughter, and they steal: this they falsely name Empire, and where they make a wasteland, they call it peace.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

I found Rome a city of filth covered marble and left it a pile of rubble. - Me
  • zerkmannzerkmann Posts: 348Registered Users
    Oh and by the way, the Skaven of Skavenblight grow some kind of crops resembling black corn in the nearby marshes.
  • PoorManatee6197PoorManatee6197 Posts: 462Registered Users

uriak said:

I'd be interesting by more detailled accounts, from the books for instance. What would be served in the typical dwarf hold ? (besides beer I mean) And I don't suppose DE/HE/WE typical diets are so close to the humans.

I’d recommend the books of Gav Thorpe with regards to the dwarfs. I wish I could remember it all, but some things I do remember:

Dwarf beer, particularly the good stuff, can keep a dwarf nourished for days/weeks/indefintely? Because of its caloric content.

Dwarfs keep goats, rams and sheep (possibly other beasts of burden) on the hills above their holds for meat and cheese.

Dwarf miners carry small amounts of emergency ration cheese under their helmets.

They make bread from rock dust.

They grow and cultivate mushrooms in the lower down holds.

Dwarf rangers do hunt game and bring back red meat to the holds, but I imagine this is relatively rare in their diets given how few dwarfs go above ground.

In the gotrek and felix book daemonslayer the dwarfs held up in the besieged Karak explained how they survived... I think that includes some examples of ‘desperate measures’ where food is concerned.

There was also an example of a dwarf engineer who was in exile in a human city for like 100 years and when the other dwarfs saw him I’m sure he had gained a notable amount of weight: suggesting dwarfs eat very much the same as humans if needs must.

Again this all off the top of my head, I’d love to read all those books again; it’s been 15 years heh!
    Adding to your comment, the dwarfs also like to eat troll meat.
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Dragon/Deamon slayer, Doomseeker, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Rune Golem, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Silver Pinacle, Karag Dum, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

Those all missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!
  • TayvarTayvar Posts: 10,597Registered Users
    Erminaz said:

In Tamurkhan, while his horde is in the wastes, there are three sources of food that are consumed by the "mortal" members of the horde. Monsters that they kill, forage that grows naturally (Sayl the Faithless sends out his riders specifically to gather what grew in the area before the others in the horde could so that he can use it as leverage, which might I add was not really enough to sustain a horde of that size), and cannibalism of the weak, captives from rivals, and those who speak against their leaders (as the food gets scarce).

Yes basically like in Hate the Board Game, morality doesn't concern an Chaos Followers.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Posts: 3,846Registered Users
    Chaos Warriors very much do eat, ****, and sleep. Chaos Warriors are very much mortal. Chosen do not however, and obviously every Chaos Warrior wants to become a Chosen.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Posts: 10,187Registered Users
    uriak said:

Tss, tsss, their initiative value let them avoid embarassing themselves with a few spilled drinks, of course.

Bread from rock dust ? Hu, that's at least as sketchy as using wood filling as is done in the US. And won't be good on the teeths. (abrasion was an issue with stone ground flour)

The issue with beastmen is that there are many descriptions of them gorging on prisonners/victimes. And usually the larger/meaner the creature, the more voracious it is, to the point of being ridiculous. How many humans would the average gor eat in a year just to survive ?

As for skaven there is clearly a notion of good/bad foodstuff (and a thinky veiled taste of capitalism) . If I reckon, they manage to grow black corn around SkavenBlight, and it's horrendous. For a race ever so voracious, it would seem they should have to corner the food suply problem a tad more than breeding new kind of mutants.

the "Stone bread" GW stole from Discworld.
    https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Dwarf_Bread
    Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD! Clan Gunnisson! Karak Eight Peaks! JOSEF BUGMAN!"

CA hates the Empire confirmed. The FLC LL for the new Lord Pack is Gor-Rok. Meaning the Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. And no, moving Balthasar Gelt from Reikland, where he should be, DOES NOT COUNT. If they wanted a LL in the Southern Empire: Marius Leitdorf of Averland or maybe Elspeth von Draken in Nuln...

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him?

GHAL MARAZ IS THE WEAPON OF THE SETTING! YET SOME BRETONNIAN SWORD IS MORE POTENT?! BUFF GHAL MARAZ IN SIGMAR'S NAME!
  • uriakuriak Posts: 3,421Registered Users
    Krunch said:

Chaos Warriors very much do eat, ****, and sleep. Chaos Warriors are very much mortal. Chosen do not however, and obviously every Chaos Warrior wants to become a Chosen.

Seems it varies from description to description, but a character like Wulfric, who is clearly a chaos champion is indeed not trapped into his armor.

What about Archaon by the way, does he takes a breath of fresh air from time to time ? (and bites a chaos undivided muffin)
  • MalcolmMalcolm Posts: 228Registered Users
    edited July 24
    I think the Norscans eat alot of fish as they do fishing as they are mentioned to be skilled sailors. They possibly use thralls (slaves) to grow their food and do all the manual work. I don't think they farm much since they live in a very harsh climate which makes growing crops difficult. Maybe they keep farm animals? I think when raiding they steal farm animals like pigs for food.

To be honest considering how harsh Norsca is described in the lore, I am surprised Norsca hasn't died out yet from famine and the never ending tribal warfare.

Team Empire - For Sigmar!
    Team Bretonnia - For the Lady!
  • MalcolmMalcolm Posts: 228Registered Users
    OdTengri said:

Vampires eat magic and Souls.

I thought vampires drink blood from humans as their main food source?
    Team Empire - For Sigmar!
    Team Bretonnia - For the Lady!
  • uriakuriak Posts: 3,421Registered Users
    Malcolm said:

I think the Norscans eat alot of fish as they do fishing as they are mentioned to be skilled sailors. They possibly use thralls (slaves) to grow their food and do all the manual work. I don't think they farm much since they live in a very harsh climate which makes growing crops difficult. Maybe they keep farm animals? I think when raiding they steal farm animals like pigs for food.

To be honest considering how harsh Norsca is described in the lore, I am surprised Norsca hasn't died out yet from famine and the never ending tribal warfare.

The lore often accentuates the "badness/goodness" or living conditions. The southern coast of Norsca can be expected to be quite similar to our scandinavian countries. They even trade with the southerners. Of course CA went for a uniformly "chaotic" Norsca but the lore is more nuanced.