Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

This game should change it’s name to total war china

unnounno Registered Users Posts: 6
edited July 2019 in General Discussion
If CA continuously wants to make chapter dlc get out of three kingdoms period then you should change it’s name to Total war : China.
I want to see Xun Yu belong to Cao Cao, and Liu Chan rules Shu empire with Zhuge Liang in three kingdoms.
If some periods like AD195, 200, 207, 219 ... are not interesting to play game then your problem is making game more interesting with reforming the game mechanics not making other periods outside of three kingdoms period.
I wish this game Total War “Three Kingdoms” becomes more great.

Comments

• united84united84 Registered Users Posts: 684
    Chill out, game is only out for 2 months. We can expect more improvements to the overall game as well as 3K related contents.

2019 - 2020 is the best timing for East Asian culture contents with the US - China trade war going on, Japan - S.Korea trade war, Dynasty Warrior the movie (2019), Assassin's creed set in imperial china and also Mulan (2020).

Rarest and best timing to go all out for TW3K before CA moving on to the next project.

Besides, Total War China feels too exclusive. Three Kingdoms is more inclusive and is free marketing material.
  • kweassa1kweassa1 Registered Users Posts: 713
    edited July 2019
    Unfortunately, "chilling out" and "being patient" seems to be a lost art these days.

• BreadboxBreadbox Registered Users Posts: 785
    Because Three Kingdoms is a far more marketable title.
  • ArneSoArneSo Registered Users Posts: 4,510
    CA already said that not every DLC will step out out of the 3K era.
    I’m pretty sure we will see way more DLCs than in warhammer so new content every 2 months is realistic.
    Keeping in mind that CA always follows a DLC schedule, the next DLC will probably be a Warlord pack again and introduce a new culture.
  • WhiteHorseMemesWhiteHorseMemes Registered Users Posts: 331
    edited July 2019
    I roll my eyes every time I see these threads. I'm at the point where I want CA to release even more off the wall stuff. This is half because it would be more interesting than some boring scenario where you pick one of three kingdoms, and half just to spite the people who want the same old, tired, boring and predictable thing that they've been getting forever.

We know elephants are in the data so we know what we're getting pretty soon, probably within a few months. It won't stop dozens of more people from whining because Creative Assembly actually bothered to assemble something creative. There's at least dozens of Three Kingdoms games. CA made a DLC to cover a time period that is also interesting, but gets zero scholarly, media or pop culture attention, and it's the apocalypse.

To treat more directly with the thread title though, I strongly believe that now that CA has tapped into the delicious Chinese market, they are going to be reticent to let go of it. I could honestly see them doing a Saga game based on Outlaws of the Marsh or future Total War games based on other periods of Chinese history, or even the Mongols.

Mongols will probably be part of a Medieval 3 that spans from Western Europe to Japan, So I do t think we will see things like that in 3K.

Anyways, even if I’m fine waiting a little bit longer for new content for the base game, we definitely need new content for it at some point. New characters and cultures. If we don’t get nomads and a Korea DLC it would be such a missed opportunity...
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 2,136
    I don't really want to see Liu Chan as he will always end up on the chopping blocks whenever I play Shu but yeah I get the idea and agree with your other argument but I also seriously doubt that they will not make any more content which is related to the three kingdoms period. Of course if they actually stop making more three kingdoms content which is highly unlikely, then yeah they should probably change their title.
  • zerkmannzerkmann Registered Users Posts: 348
    edited July 2019

I roll my eyes every time I see these threads. I'm at the point where I want CA to release even more off the wall stuff. This is half because it would be more interesting than some boring scenario where you pick one of three kingdoms, and half just to spite the people who want the same old, tired, boring and predictable thing that they've been getting forever.

We know elephants are in the data so we know what we're getting pretty soon, probably within a few months. It won't stop dozens of more people from whining because Creative Assembly actually bothered to assemble something creative. There's at least dozens of Three Kingdoms games. CA made a DLC to cover a time period that is also interesting, but gets zero scholarly, media or pop culture attention, and it's the apocalypse.

To treat more directly with the thread title though, I strongly believe that now that CA has tapped into the delicious Chinese market, they are going to be reticent to let go of it. I could honestly see them doing a Saga game based on Outlaws of the Marsh or future Total War games based on other periods of Chinese history, or even the Mongols.

I think the reason people are so fanatical about keeping it to the 3K period is because almost every other RoTK game sucks ass compared to TW3K in terms of depth, polish and production values. I mean, what else are your choices? Low quality chinese mobile games or KOEI?

Same reason why warhammer fantasy fans are so 'passionate' about Total War Warhammer and went absolute bonkers over CA spending 2 years marketing TW3K. It's the first time a GOOD game about Warhammer fantasy happened (outside of that mod for Med2) and will probably never happen again in a long time, and they want it to be done perfectly.

Remember, to these people, RoTK isn't just some novel or a period of history. It's actually akin to Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings where people want to see their favorite characters, fictional or not, get adapted into a video game.
    zerkmann said:

I think the reason people are so fanatical about keeping it to the 3K period is because almost every other RoTK game sucks ass compared to TW3K in terms of depth, polish and production values. I mean, what else are your choices? Low quality chinese mobile games or KOEI?

Actually the 三国群英传 series is a pretty in depth series with a similar sandbox element as total war's 3 kingdoms which existed for more than a decade, but the only problem is that the PC games are only available in Chinese.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,145
    edited July 2019
    unno said:

If CA continuously wants to make chapter dlc get out of three kingdoms period then you should change it’s name to Total war : China.

Where are you getting his idea that they're "continuously" making DLC that goes outside the Three Kingdoms period? Eight Princes is only the third DLC for the game, and the first one that steps outside the Three Kingdoms era. They've also said that there's a lot of DLC planned that will focus on the Three Kingdoms period proper. Take a chill pill.
  • vintagepurplevintagepurple Registered Users Posts: 797
    edited July 2019
    Also 8 Princes comes with a FREE content update for the base game which we haven't even seen yet,

I mean charlemagnes multiple teams content drought listen to the real fans dam u ca u hacks learn histroy I dont want to play as pontus!!!
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,290

unno said:

Where are you getting his idea that they're "continuously" making DLC that goes outside the Three Kingdoms period? Eight Princes is only the third DLC for the game, and the first one that steps outside the Three Kingdoms era. They've also said that there's a lot of DLC planned that will focus on the Three Kingdoms period proper. Take a chill pill.
    It's not even that far off. Three Kingdoms period officially ended at 280AD and this DLC started just a mere 11 years after that. Still within the same generation of the later part of the Three Kingdoms.

It's much relevant to the main game period than say, Age of Charlemange for Attila or that Sparta DLC for Rome 2.

I personally would prefer this kind of DLC and let new additional playable faction or unique characters be as FLC for the main game.

A 3 Kingdoms proper start date 220AD may be acceptable to me as chapter pack DLC later with more new unique character added relevant to the start date but I would prefer to have something earlier like Chu Han contention or the Rise of the Han start date.
  • LaindeshLaindesh Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,770
    unno said:

I want to see Xun Yu belong to Cao Cao, and Liu Chan rules Shu empire with Zhuge Liang in three kingdoms.
    If some periods like AD195, 200, 207, 219 ... are not interesting to play game then your problem is making game more interesting with reforming the game mechanics not making other periods outside of three kingdoms period.
    I wish this game Total War “Three Kingdoms” becomes more great.

The main campaign will always be "Three Kingdoms". It's fine if they show off different time periods to tell the history of china. And i wager that the future chapter packs will have content that will spill over into 3K like the 8 princes one.

Also just because the first DLC is a chapter pack does not mean the next 3 DLC's will add alot of content to the main game say like a culture pack, a major faction pack, lots of new unique units etc.
  • BreadboxBreadbox Registered Users Posts: 785
    Too long has passed since the Eastern Han.

I welcome settings outside the main campaign, but there needs to be wayyy more content in distinguishing the new setting.
    -The characters are different
    -The political situation is different
    -The demographic situation is different
    -Unit aesthetics should really be different

An example is the hat worn by all the militia units, which is actually taken from Western Han terracotta figurines since there is no soldier figurines from Eastern Han.
    To see Western Han soldiers rocking around during Western Jin looks wrong.

Come to think of it, wouldn’t the regency/assume throne system be a great port to 3K campaign as well?
  • WhiteHorseMemesWhiteHorseMemes Registered Users Posts: 331
    "Come to think of it, wouldn’t the regency/assume throne system be a great port to 3K campaign as well? "

Yes, it would be an interesting mechanic to bring over. At the same time, I don't think it's actually that important in gameplay terms.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Registered Users Posts: 3,145
    edited July 2019
    I look at the whole "Chapter Packs" thing as literal chapters in a book. If you look at the story of the Three Kingdoms as an actual book, then the Eight Princes DLC is the epilogue chapter. At the end of the book, Sima Yi seemingly unites China under a stable dynasty and everything looks rosey. Then the epilogue chapter jumps forward a few years and upsets the happy ending, showing how China collapsed into civil war once again and is overrun by barbarians, setting the stage for the beginning of the next book, the Sixteen Kingdoms.
    And were are all the other chapters then?
    ArneSo said:

And were are all the other chapters then?

• markp27markp27 Registered Users Posts: 1,464
    I am expecting next Chapter Pack to be Lu Bu's as we already get an event for it. Even though he does not leave at the moment.

• kweassa1kweassa1 Registered Users Posts: 713
    edited July 2019
    "Barbarian Invasion" ring a bell? How about "Mongol Invasion"?

How many centuries were those expansions away from the main campaign?
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,035
    kweassa1 said:

"Barbarian Invasion" ring a bell? How about "Mongol Invasion"?

How many centuries were those expansions away from the main campaign?

Barbarian Invasion for R1 was about 6(A little less, more like 5 and a half) centuries away from the base game's start, however R1 ended in 14AD so you can also say it's 4 centuries away from the base game's end date. Personally for 3K the farthest I would want a DLC to go into the future would be the Tang Dynasty, anything futher than that should be a new game. Going backwards the only 2 settings worth portraying are the Warring States and I suppose the Chu Han contention but I would rather Warring States be a Saga title or something(With Chu-Han contention as a DLC for a Warring States Saga game).