Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Can we please get something similar to Theatres of War in WH3?

CosmicMoanCosmicMoan Registered Users Posts: 37
With the amount of space that’s been taken away in the ME map, isn’t it maybe a nice alternative to have something like the theatre of war mode back?

Imagine, you have only wh3, and your only game mode is the grand campaign. You only play on the wh3 map and that’s it. But eventually you get the two prior games, and then when you play the grand campaign, you’ll find the option of playing the races from the previous games on their respective maps.

You can play as Tyrion and you’ll start off in the vortex map, but once you reach the eastern edge of it, you get the option of traveling to the old world.
You play as thorgrim and you can head out east in the early game and get the option of entering the dark lands. You press accept and you’re greeted by a loading screen, after which you are in the new map, with the army that you took there with you.

This way we’d have all 3 compete maps in all the beauty and glory.

And in order to reduce the Ai turn time, CA can simply remove all non-playable factions outside the player’s starting map, similar to what the Turn Turn Destroyer mod for warhammer 2 does.

So it you start as Karl Franz, the only factions who remain vortex map will be the playable wh2 races. Same would go for the wh3 map.

I’m not saying this should replace ME but it’d give players an extra choice.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• SiWISiWI Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 11,141
    I don't think your version will be done or would work as you think since I don't believe that theaters of war save the resources necessary to do all 3 campaigns own maps at once.

I do however believe that CA may will do the "warp"/realm of chaos this way as special home of the DoC.
    Ratling_Guns.gif?t=1554385892
  • angry_rat_loverangry_rat_lover Registered Users Posts: 1,342
    I'm ok with anything as long as it reduces the turn times
    Soon
  • LuciferLucifer Member England U.KRegistered Users Posts: 1,867
    I'm all for expanding the map, or including missing areas via dlc with new factions, or factions that should be playable in them areas following a storyline and quests to accompany it.

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein

My steam workshop Warhammer II mods
  • FungusHoundFungusHound Registered Users Posts: 4,075
    SiWI said:

I don't think your version will be done or would work as you think since I don't believe that theaters of war save the resources necessary to do all 3 campaigns own maps at once.

I do however believe that CA may will do the "warp"/realm of chaos this way as special home of the DoC.

If we can start in the Realm of Chaos as the DoC, I am not leaving at all until it is fully conquered. Gotta savor short turn times for as long as possible.
  • Steph_F_DavidSteph_F_David Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,561
    If we get Theatre of Wars with a map split in several parts (New World, Old World, Southlands, Darklands for exemple), we may get a huge performance boost.

Instead of 4 minutes for the whole map, we could get 1 min for each theatre!!!!
  • Knight_IranKnight_Iran Senior Member Islamic Republic of IRANRegistered Users Posts: 620
    I think the idea of theaters is much better than what they did in ME map. the good thing with this trilogy is to see all three game's maps together without any cut (at least for the map). if CA is considering less factions in order to reduce turn times, they could have easily done this by ONLY deleting some factions, not cutting off the map! i thinks theaters was pretty better. i personally don't like this kind of blend.
    Karl Franz Campaign ---> Finished
    Grimgor Campaign ---> Finished
    Mannfred Campaign ---> Finished
    Kroq Gar Campaign ---> Finished
    Settra Campaign ---> Finished
    Nakai Campaign ---> Finished
    Malekith Campaign ---> Finished
    Karl Franz Campaign (ME) ---> Finished
    Imrik Campaign ---> Finished
    Count Noctilus Campaign (ME) ---> Finished
  • blaatblaat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,136
    why do people think theathers will decrease turn times?

the AI factions moves need to be calculated either way

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)
  • dreagondreagon Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,191
    blaat said:

Yeah, I'm not sure. The only benefit will be that the maps can be larger, which isn't going to result in faster turn times.
    "The dog is a peasant and the cat is a gentleman." H.P. Lovecraft
  • ErminazErminaz Senior Member Las Vegas, Nevada, USARegistered Users Posts: 5,710
    edited July 2019
    blaat said:

The thought could be that if you turn off watching army and agent movement (don't know how this could work without doing this) that the theatres could all end turn at the same time so you simultaneous movement for a faction which has a presence in multiple theatres.

So basically, lets say Tyrion has three settlements and three armies, one in the Old World, one in the New World/Ulthuan, and one in the Dark Lands Theatres. Currently One army would move then another requiring three consecutive movements for all three armies to finish their movements. By having the theatres and utilizing multithreading it wouldn't be just one movement followed by another as all three armies could move simultaneously, in theory cutting down the time it takes for the faction to end its turn.

Well at least that is my best guess as to why it could have an effect. As to if that is possible with Total War I have no idea.
    Tacitus Quotes:
    Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
    They plunder, they slaughter, and they steal: this they falsely name Empire, and where they make a wasteland, they call it peace.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

I found Rome a city of filth covered marble and left it a pile of rubble. - Me
  • blaatblaat Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,136
    Erminaz said:

blaat said:

The thought could be that if you turn off watching army and agent movement (don't know how this could work without doing this) that the theatres could all end turn at the same time so you simultaneous movement for a faction which has a presence in multiple theatres.

So basically, lets say Tyrion has three settlements and three armies, one in the Old World, one in the New World/Ulthuan, and one in the Dark Lands Theatres. Currently One army would move then another requiring three consecutive movements for all three armies to finish their movements. By having the theatres and utilizing multithreading it wouldn't be just one movement followed by another as all three armies could move simultaneously, in theory cutting down the time it takes for the faction to end its turn.

Well at least that is my best guess as to why it could have an effect. As to if that is possible with Total War I have no idea.
    aaah then it could work yes but that would require a redesgin AFAIK since for the campaign the game is single core and not multicore since calculating factions on the same map wiith more core is very difficult due the fact that one factions input makes changes for factions B desicioons and that changes factions C and so on and on

I am not a dev though this is the reason I have read somewhere for the game being limited to one core on the campaign map

snip

It's much easier and more fun to get engrossed in lore that takes itself seriously and tries to make sense within its own frame of reference.

the reason I prefer LOTR over warhammer fantasy and 40k

I am dutch so if you like to have a talk in dutch shoot me a PM :)