Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Meet Sima Ying

CA_JamesCA_James Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team Posts: 360

Handsome, but never considered the sharpest tool in the box, Sima Ying developed a good reputation as being filial and lenient, and for listening to the advice of his capable advisor Lu Zhi.

Find out more about him and his playstyle here: https://www.totalwar.com/games/three-kingdoms/eight-princes/sima-ying/

Comments

• mcar110mcar110 Member United KingdomRegistered Users Posts: 431
    edited July 2019
    Hi @CA_James I’m a little curious as to the reasoning behind the hero classification of some these princes.
    If Sima Ying for example is meant to be a bit dim, why would he be classified as a strategist? Surely Sima Ai would fit that classification better?
  • GeneralOusenGeneralOusen Registered Users Posts: 23
    mcar110 said:

Hi @CA_James I’m a little curious as to the reasoning behind the hero classification of some these princes.
    If Sima Ying for example is meant to be a bit dim, why would he be classified as a strategist? Surely Sima Ai would fit that classification better?

yeah i don't get it neither also the think with turn per year looks like bad choice.
  • CA_JamesCA_James Registered Users, Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Community Team Posts: 360
    mcar110 said:

Strategist refers to his play style - Sima Ying relied heavily on his advisors and generals and made strategic decisions, so in Eight Princes, it makes sense to classify him as the strategist type.
  • markp27markp27 Registered Users Posts: 1,464
    CA_James said:

mcar110 said:

Strategist refers to his play style - Sima Ying relied heavily on his advisors and generals and made strategic decisions, so in Eight Princes, it makes sense to classify him as the strategist type.
    Strategists should be able to state their case during debates, something Sima Ying would never be able to do. Most of the currents heroes you have shown have the wrong class compared to what their playstyle is. Commander would suit Sima Ying, as he relies on others and must have influence over them.
  • Misaka_ComplexMisaka_Complex Registered Users Posts: 2,136
    markp27 said:

Strategists should be able to state their case during debates, something Sima Ying would never be able to do. Most of the currents heroes you have shown have the wrong class compared to what their playstyle is. Commander would suit Sima Ying, as he relies on others and must have influence over them.

Maybe he was just a bad/incompetent strategist.
  • talonntalonn Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 533
    mcar110 said:

While I agree about Sima Ying but hey, don't touch Sima Ai! I would like to play my fav character on my fav class(champion)
  • WhiteHorseMemesWhiteHorseMemes Registered Users Posts: 331
    I personally think that they understate Sima Ying a little bit. He defeated Sima Yue and Sima Lun in battles. I think he was smarter than the historians gave him credit for. To me what's interesting is that his playstyle is almost the opposite of Sima Jiong. Historically, I personally think Ying was much more competent than Jiong. The fact that he leaned heavily on good advisers is not necessarily a sign of intellectual weakness. Chinese records often praise rulers that are able to employ talented people, solicit good advice and listen to their ministers. An ideal Daoist ruler is said to be somebody who delegates tasks to capable individuals and does little themselves. At the very minimum, Sima Ying was very well-liked in Ye, his capital during most of this war.
  • SaitohSaitoh Registered Users Posts: 262
    CA_James said:

mcar110 said:

Wouldn't that make him a commander while his advisors and generals would be the strategists? He's basically the Liu Bei to Lu Zhi's Zhuge Liang.
  • WhiteHorseMemesWhiteHorseMemes Registered Users Posts: 331
    I think the sillier example is Sima Liang being a champion. I think it has to do with his UU. Still, I laugh at the idea of this humble old man, who fled the capital to his fief in fear rather than challenge his political rivals, somehow being a dueling badass.
  • BoombastekBoombastek Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    He start with 3 almost full comandment, had perfect vigor cavalry, very close to silk and horse pasture, very far from mishmash of north/middle east, every his cancelor position affect faction wide.

What a freaking OP faction.
  • GUST777GUST777 Registered Users Posts: 24
    This portrait would suit Lu Xun more than this weak lord lol hopefully Lu Xun will get a unique portrait from CA in the near future.

I think the sillier example is Sima Liang being a champion. I think it has to do with his UU. Still, I laugh at the idea of this humble old man, who fled the capital to his fief in fear rather than challenge his political rivals, somehow being a dueling badass.

Yeah they kinda try to make him like a Huang Gai while Sima Liang was far from that.

markp27 said:

Maybe he was just a bad/incompetent strategist.
    Or he may well of been a wise man, if he was willing to admit he knew nothing.

If we follow the Socrates school of thought.

:D
    markp27 said:

Or he may well of been a wise man, if he was willing to admit he knew nothing.

If we follow the Socrates school of thought.

That actually takes a lot of courage too so perhaps Sima Ying should be a champion like the other 60+ years old prince?

• KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,035

I personally think that they understate Sima Ying a little bit. He defeated Sima Yue and Sima Lun in battles. I think he was smarter than the historians gave him credit for. To me what's interesting is that his playstyle is almost the opposite of Sima Jiong. Historically, I personally think Ying was much more competent than Jiong. The fact that he leaned heavily on good advisers is not necessarily a sign of intellectual weakness. Chinese records often praise rulers that are able to employ talented people, solicit good advice and listen to their ministers. An ideal Daoist ruler is said to be somebody who delegates tasks to capable individuals and does little themselves. At the very minimum, Sima Ying was very well-liked in Ye, his capital during most of this war.

That's an ideal confucianist ruler. An ideal daoist is someone who sits in a cave and ponders the universe while staring at the wall.
  • FossowayFossoway Registered Users Posts: 2,659
    So apparently someone on reddit gave a little anecdote on this guy: when his army was starving, he allegedly ate crayons in front of everyone to prove that he was faring no better.

I'm no historian, I don't know if he really did that or not, but if you're a soldier and the dude leading the army to battle was eating crayons, I'd be a little worried.
  • KrunchKrunch Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4,035
    Fossoway said:

So apparently someone on reddit gave a little anecdote on this guy: when his army was starving, he allegedly ate crayons in front of everyone to prove that he was faring no better.

I'm no historian, I don't know if he really did that or not, but if you're a soldier and the dude leading the army to battle was eating crayons, I'd be a little worried.

Mmm grayons

Maybe he was a marine.
    Fossoway said:

I mean did crayons even exist during that period?
  • WarlockeWarlocke Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,694
    markp27 said:

CA_James said:

mcar110 said:

There is nothing about being a strategist that implies being good at persuasive speaker and being able to effective argue for and promote a strategy.

A person could be a brilliant strategist but have no personality or confidence.
    ò_ó
    Warlocke said:

markp27 said:

CA_James said:

mcar110 said:

There is nothing about being a strategist that implies being good at persuasive speaker and being able to effective argue for and promote a strategy.

And have his ideas consistently ignored.
    Warlocke said:

No because you can have all these great ideas in your head that may or may not work but unless you have the ability to convince other people to put your strategy to the test, you aren't really a brilliant strategist. Someone only becomes a brilliant strategist when people see whether if his strategy worked when put to the test, not give them the benefit of the doubt before their strategy actually achieved anything. You can have the best strategy in the world but when nobody is willing to go with the plant to implement it, your strategy is no better than having no strategy at all.
  • TotalDongTotalDong Registered Users Posts: 28
    I just like that helpless look on his face, you can tell he's gotta empower his council, he's like a puppy dog in a huge ministerial hat.

Probably gunna do my first run with this guy, Starting in Chengdu sounds pretty fun and I love mucking about with characters so an empowered council is just grand.