Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Total War: Warhammer 3 Grand Cathay fan Concept #15: Onyx Crowmen (flying monster construct)

Cortes31Cortes31 Posts: 729Registered Users
He has delivered again B)

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/clo3mo/total_war_warhammer_3_grand_cathay_fan_concept_15/

Great as always, the one on the left more then the others but not such a big fan of the blue one. Cannot stop thinking about Steampunk, looking at him.

Ah, Cathay as core would be instant buy for me <3

"In brightest day, in blackest night,
No faction shall escape my sight.
Let those who think deniers are right
Beware my power--Faction Lantern's light!"

Everythime a faction/race is excluded from the trilogy, these games become smaller. RIP Araby and others.
Tagged:

Comments

• Federykx99Federykx99 Posts: 562Registered Users
    Nice.

Their appearance also probably opens the door for some possible tzeenchian connections, given that god's prominence in Cathay.
  • TimpeyoTimpeyo Posts: 1,097Registered Users
    Hmm I dunno they look really interesting just there supposed to take influence from the Tengu I don't really see that and be nice if they looked more Onyx like. But still some really good art work

• SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Posts: 2,236Registered Users
    I dont like his "hands", would like them ending in claws like from a bat, but looks good thou.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,717Registered Users
    So they are constructs.

I recommend people reading the lore that the artist made for them, it's quite interesting.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Posts: 5,599Registered Users
    Author is hell-bent on avoiding eunuch dwarfs. I'm waiting!
    Drowned in stars, bloated we shine.
    ... .... .... --··-- -. --- - . .- .-. ... ·-·-·- --- -. .-.. -.-- -.. .-. . .- -- ... -. --- .-- ·-·-·-

Nice.

Their appearance also probably opens the door for some possible tzeenchian connections, given that god's prominence in Cathay.

They are explicitly creations of Tzeetchian sorcerers in Cathay, if you read the lore entry about them on the linked reddit.
    edited August 4
    Oh, what the hell, here's the entry (please visit and upvote the original reddit comment):
    Reddit said:

Onyx Crowmen

The cult of Tzeentch has infiltrated Cathay hundredths of years ago disguised as The Temple of Chi'an Chi; a secretive society of esoteric knowledge amongst the upper echelon of Cathay society. While the cult was never endorsed by the imperial throne, their presences was largely tolerated due to the influential sway by many nobles and officials that have became associated with it. On the surface, it appears to be just a exclusive cabal of affluent sorcerers dabbling in magic and high culture, but there are persistent rumors of bizarre occult sacrifices, child kidnapping, and strange mutated experiments beyond imagination behind closed doors. Of course any official investigation never turn up anything sinister, but the cult has garnered a reputation for its mysterious ways that attracts the naturally curious mind of many sorcerers to seek them out.

In order to fully infiltrate the Cathyan bureaucracy and earn their trust, the cult would often lend aid to the imperial army by offering their temple guardians, the Onyx Crowmens to aid in the war effort. Similar to the Stone Guardians, these constructs are exquisites in design built in the image of the cult's great Raven god. As much as a specimen of art as war-machines, their bodies are constructed from the highest quality of onyx fastened with gold and copper frame. The Crownmen stands apart from other Cathayan constructs in that they are further imbued with magical enchantment allowing them to soar swiftly in the air with large bladed steel wings. While the Crowmen are a ferocious force in melee, their true strength lies in their aerial superiority. Swooping down in the midst of battle to rip the battle lines to shreds with their scythe-like wings or carrying off any unfortunate victims and drop them to their doom.

Tzeentch grand design for the cult was not fully realized until the treacherous Monkey King's betrayal when he slain the reigning Dragon Emperor and raised his own banner as Equal to Heaven and a Herald of Tzeentch. Having served its purpose, the cult discarded its facade and with the arcane knowledge gathered through the ages and all their powerful sorcerers are now fully behind the Monkey King's rebellion. The Monkey King would also rally support from dissatisfied Dragon Lords, ambitious nobles and commanders, as well as the Skaven clans dwelling deep within Cathay in a all out civil war that would plunge Cathay into madness for decades. During the Monkey King's eventual retreat from Wei Jin and the subsequent raid by the Dragon Emperors on their temples, many of the Crowmen constructs were confiscated and repurposed to serve the Dragon throne once again.

This week we touch upon the cult of Tzeentch once again that was mentioned way back in my first post. The flying Crow men were another unit described in GW's lore. I thought the crow/bird look would fit really well with the Tzeentch theme so I decided to make them guardians of the Tzeentch cult in Cathay. The difficult part was the explain why these crow men would be seen fighting for Cathay, and why they would continue to do so after the Monkey King's rebellion. The original GW lore just mentioned onyx crowmen but didn't specify if they are living or stone, so I went with the construct route that can justify how they are just machines and any force in possession of them could repurpose them for their army. I am pretty sure GW was thinking about the Japanese Tengu when they made up these guys... since I am trying to keep as much of the Nippon stuff out for a more distinct Cathay identity, the appearance is based on the Chinese deity Lei Gong, God of Thunder. In Taoist mythology, Lei Gong punishes the guilty with his mallet and chisel that generate thunder while his wife Dian mu (mother of lighting) uses flashing mirror to send bolts of lightings to illuminate those to be punished. Its actually still a common idiom to say for those who are wicked to watch for for thunder striking them down. The bladed wings is just for edgyness factor. Game play wise, it first I was thinking kinda like Harpies.. but after looking again at the lore and design, they feel abit too ornate to be just a throw away chaser, so maybe a higher tier, low model count unit, maybe even single unit like Varghulf tier with armour-piercing, very fast and cause terror.