Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

[TW Saga] Needs to change the approach from 3K

united84united84 Posts: 564Registered Users
We know the next total war saga will be upon us, next year.

I am pretty sure it will be a period set in China. If I had to guess, it will be a Warring State era even though I would prefer a Tang Dynasty Civil War.

However, I would like to point out the problems with a character centric total war for a Saga standalone expansion or even a Chapter pack that is out of 3K period.

The thing about Romance of the Three Kingdoms, it is a pop-culture and many fans are used to their stylized attire. So, when some total war & rotk fans sees weird attire like Xu Chu's lightly armored appearance (keep in mind, he is the commander of Cao Cao's elite bodyguards) majority of us could still accept it and also other characters appearance that might not fit the timeline of that period. Since most of the historical tw fans are quite particular about realism and historical "near-accuracy". For me, it doesnt have to be 100% historical accurate, a near-accurate would be fine and less over-the-top. I know am contradicting here but ROTK is the only exception lol.

However, for periods outside of ROTK, things are very different. Eight Princes for instance is a good example, had CA went for a different approach. For example, making the princes wore what a prince should wear during the period (despite being clones but majestically accurate) while putting more efforts on improving on the units would have created better value for the DLC. The over-the-top attire, for example Sima Jiong (wearing leopard skin) and Sima Wei (look like a bandit or thug) doesn't give the impression that they are princes. Even though the models were done meticulously, it does not really add value in my opinion.

I am speculating the DLC is going to perform average if not below average as most of my friends on steam who pre-ordered TW3K months before release, just could not be bothered with Eight Princes (yea, I know it is a small sample but judging from steam's top seller. There's a correlation.)

I do hope the Saga standalone expansion would be a success and not a repeat of Thrones of Britannia.

Comments

• BreadboxBreadbox Posts: 763Registered Users
    Hoping to see a more historical approach to a non European setting, the research done is simply not good, everything is a mix and match of stereotypically Chinese looking stuff from dynasties Centuries apart.

Warring states+Song glaives weapons, Song-Ming Walls, Mongol Trebuchets, Terrace farms dotting the south before it is a thing and the occasional Tang Architecture etc.

And the randomly generated names, especially the women ones, oh god, which is ripped straight out of modern name generator. All hail Queen Dowager Stacey the third.

The features in 3K is clearly tailored towards romance(with its duels and superheroes) with a rudimentary ‘record’ mode.
    The Warring states has quite a distinct aesthetic from the later dynasties(no watercolour pls), it deserve to be captured.
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 2,261Registered Users
    I'd say it's a fair bet that the next Saga game will explore a period and setting somewhere in Asia, although possibly outside China. The Saga games also tend to focus in on historical "flashpoints", lasting a few years or decades. Personally, what I'd really be interested in seeing is something in the Indian subcontinent. Maybe something around the fall the Gupta Empire, or early Medieval India. I'm basing this on my own daydream-y musings mind you.
  • united84united84 Posts: 564Registered Users

I'd say it's a fair bet that the next Saga game will explore a period and setting somewhere in Asia, although possibly outside China. The Saga games also tend to focus in on historical "flashpoints", lasting a few years or decades. Personally, what I'd really be interested in seeing is something in the Indian subcontinent. Maybe something around the fall the Gupta Empire, or early Medieval India. I'm basing this on my own daydream-y musings mind you.

It does not matter which era the next saga game will be set, Korea, Japan, India or even Africa.
    My point still stands.

Imagine they made Medieval 3 and brought over 3K vibe....I predict chaos.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 3,909Registered Users
    I think a gunpowder game would be a breath of fresh air, be it 17th to 19th Century.

I don't think it's certain the Saga game will have anything to do with China. Hopefully SE Asia for the first time if they don't go for Victorian TW.
    edited July 30

I think a gunpowder game would be a breath of fresh air, be it 17th to 19th Century.

I don't think it's certain the Saga game will have anything to do with China. Hopefully SE Asia for the first time if they don't go for Victorian TW.

They won't do a Saga game in a Victorian setting, I can guarantee you that. A Victorian Total War would be it's own main game. In fact, I think it'll be many years yet before we see such a game.

I also can't imagine they'll do a gunpowder setting with the next Saga game, although I could be pleasantly surprised, if it was something like the 30 Years War.
  • CommisarCommisar Senior Member Posts: 1,189Registered Users
    It could be. They did say FotS would have been a Saga title if done now. So I can see something like the Boxer Rebellion being a possibility.

They did say the time period was also a shock for them. Be interesting to see which way they go with it.

They won't do a Saga game in a Victorian setting, I can guarantee you that. A Victorian Total War would be it's own main game. In fact, I think it'll be many years yet before we see such a game.

I also can't imagine they'll do a gunpowder setting with the next Saga game, although I could be pleasantly surprised, if it was something like the 30 Years War.
    I think they could go anyway. The Shogun 2 upgrade was based on more Empire based units. The setting could be smaller like the top of Africa or possibly even a part of Europe focusing on just the North.

Although a Victorian game based in China concerned with the Chinese 'second coming'. A war that caused more casualties than WW1.

I think they could go anyway. The Shogun 2 upgrade was based on more Empire based units. The setting could be smaller like the top of Africa or possibly even a part of Europe focusing on just the North.

Although a Victorian game based in China concerned with the Chinese 'second coming'. A war that caused more casualties than WW1.
    Oh, you mean only focusing on a specific flashpoint of the Victorian-era? Sorry, I thought you meant a Saga game that spanned 100 years and the campaign map encompassed the globe or something.

Well, that's possible too I think, although I personally wouldn't put money on it. Any Saga game set in the Victorian-era could just as easily be included or touched upon in a mainline Victorian Total War game.
    I was thinking this story looks promising:

2 main factions but with separate princes or generals with their own agendas.