Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

The new units of the 8 Princes:

davedave1124davedave1124 Senior MemberPosts: 4,308Registered Users
edited August 7 in General Discussion

Post edited by davedave1124 on

Comments

• united84united84 Posts: 612Registered Users
    Two words,

" Utterly disappointed "

6/10
  • NemoxNemox Posts: 2,684Registered Users
    Yeah, I feel like the generic unit design is really lackluster. Still, I see this DLC being quite a boon to the modding community. Lots of new assets to play with.
  • ArneSoArneSo Posts: 1,822Registered Users
    Wow all those units are just cheap reskins of already existing units and look like clones... no diversity in a unit, every warrior looks exactly the same.

Were is the quality of the YT unit design? Those units look all awesome but this is just bland and boring.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 4,308Registered Users
    I think that's a serious issue for any future historical content. To make them more interesting you have to go more fantastical, which takes it too far in the fantasy direction. How does any historical unit compete with Ratling Gunners?
    I honestly love the design of the YT units. Different helmet and armour types so the single warriors looked all different to each other without going to much into fantasy. But these are just bland clones again... really hope that CA Sofia will do the next DLCs again
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 2,491Registered Users
    The units look very samey and bland-looking, I will say that. I guess they put most of the work into the new armours and models for generic characters.

The units look very samey and bland-looking, I will say that. I guess they put most of the work into the new armours and models for generic characters.

I quite like the look of the Cataphracts, but I guess they always look cool.

Thankfully I'm not expecting much from this one because I never went for the R2 or Atilla mini campaign DLCs.

I quite like the look of the Cataphracts, but I guess they always look cool.

Thankfully I'm not expecting much from this one because I never went for the R2 or Atilla mini campaign DLCs.
    I wouldn't call this a mini-campaign, ala Caesar in Gaul or Hannibal at the Gates. It's more along the lines of Imperator Augustus or Empire Divided.

Actually, now that I think about it, Imperator Augustus and Empire Divided could be considered "Chapter Packs" for Rome 2.
    Imperator Augustus at least added Armenia as a playable faction and was part of the game of the year edition. Empire divided came out 4 years after launch.
    ArneSo said:

Imperator Augustus at least added Armenia as a playable faction and was part of the game of the year edition. Empire divided came out 4 years after launch.

The fact is all those R2/Atilla extra campaign packs didn't add anything to the main game, yet people bought them. I didn't, but it isn't all about me.
  • fredericmeyernfredericmeyern Posts: 231Registered Users

ArneSo said:

The fact is all those R2/Atilla extra campaign packs didn't add anything to the main game, yet people bought them. I didn't, but it isn't all about me.
    Imperator Augustus was free to anyone who bought rome II + the upgrade to emperor edition.
    This is campaign for £ that will be launched with a free patch.

Very different situations.

ArneSo said:

Imperator Augustus was free to anyone who bought rome II + the upgrade to emperor edition.
    This is campaign for £ that will be launched with a free patch.

Very different situations.
    I know, I was talking about the paid stuff.
  • shattishatti Posts: 355Registered Users
    yeah after release, guess what !
    they will work on patches for it causing less & less focus on the base game
    absolutely bad time for this DLC
  • mitthrawnuruodomitthrawnuruodo Junior Member Posts: 1,675Registered Users
    We should temper our expectations. There really isn't much more room for more unit diversity. This already has a hell of a lot more unit diversity, both in terms of function and aesthetic, compared to similar settings - Shogun 2, all Hellenic factions in Rome 2 or Thrones of Britannia. They even added bunch of fantastical units for the sake of diversity such as dual-wielding swords and axes, explosive arrows and so on.

Only two era-appropriate units were missing from the basegame - cataphracts and zhanmadao. We are getting the first tomorrow, and the second is already hinted to be in work-in-progress from variants. Perhaps they can also add the historically dubious Nanman elephants. I don't think we can expect more than that.
  • NemoxNemox Posts: 2,684Registered Users

I think that's a serious issue for any future historical content. To make them more interesting you have to go more fantastical, which takes it too far in the fantasy direction. How does any historical unit compete with Ratling Gunners?

I'm not comparing them to Warhammer. Historical games have had amazing units (and will continue to do so). It isn't the realm of fantasy alone for armies to look impressive. The abundance of the apron armour and lack of helmet variety for most of the units that leaves you feeling "Meh". One look at the few elite units shows we have some really amazing designs. Or take a look at the unique characters.

We had this issue in games before Warhammer. Compare DEI Rome/Hellenic factions to vanilla Rome's and you can see how impressive realism can be.
    And the last roman DLC for attila was literally the worst and cheapest DLC in total war history. I literally played it for like 20 mins before I got bored. I just think that 8p is from what I see so far, on the same level.

After all these awesome warhammer DLCs this is such a huge step back. No it is 5 steps back, I really hate to complain all the time but I’m just so disappointed.

Gameplay wise and from mechanics 3K is amazing but man the unit design... I thought ToB was bad, but this is even worse. Please CA make units look great again! YT and all units in RotR are pure gold. CA Sofia is just did an awesome work there. Who is responsible for these units? These barbarian units just use armours from already existing units, nothing special... just bland and boring
  • fredericmeyernfredericmeyern Posts: 231Registered Users
    shatti said:

yeah after release, guess what !
    they will work on patches for it causing less & less focus on the base game
    absolutely bad time for this DLC

I think they can manage a few more factions tbh. There's more than one guy running on a hamster wheel to keep the lights on.
  • markp27markp27 Posts: 1,334Registered Users
    Cataphracts did not appear in China till just after the 8 princes period, so cannot get excited over them being the game. As to unit diversity, this is easy to accomplish as most regions had tribes living there who were often mustered into the local lieges armies.
  • CK2BenchmarkCK2Benchmark Posts: 202Registered Users
    edited August 7
    I can't spot any differences between the Xiongnu and regular cataphracts.

Are you guys for real CA?

Also in terms of visual variety it's absolute **** they couldn't find more sources. Even just looking at wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_armour

Will get you more varied appearances like coloured armour, striped armour, etc.

Why is all the heavy cavalry just boring dark and grey?

Also in terms of visual variety it's absolute **** they couldn't find more sources. Even just looking at wikipedia

If any future units look like those pictured; I won't be buying.
    edited August 7

I can hardly even tell what those are supposed to be. A guy wearing an orange skin peel, and a guy wrapped in a lumpy duvet sitting on a horse? Hardly an improvement over the current unit models.
  • BoombastekBoombastek Posts: 2,025Registered Users

Same as here presented Cataphracts and Counter weight trebuchets.
  • CK2BenchmarkCK2Benchmark Posts: 202Registered Users
    How do you go from Yellow Turban units with giant maces, dual wielding swords, cool ass outfits, to this?

It's like the unit models were made by completely different studios.
    Nemox said:

I'm not comparing them to Warhammer. Historical games have had amazing units (and will continue to do so). It isn't the realm of fantasy alone for armies to look impressive. The abundance of the apron armour and lack of helmet variety for most of the units that leaves you feeling "Meh". One look at the few elite units shows we have some really amazing designs. Or take a look at the unique characters.

We had this issue in games before Warhammer. Compare DEI Rome/Hellenic factions to vanilla Rome's and you can see how impressive realism can be.
    I've appreciated a lot of historical units and that includes the ones in 3K. Looking at the first video I can see plenty of head gear variety although I have to say, that detail is as important for me. I'm also pretty sure it has more variety than Empire and Shogun 2. I appreciate quite a few of the models from the core game that go beyond YTRs. Onyx Archers, Defenders of the Earth, the mixed weapon/formation units.

As I've said I'm always happy to see very heavy cavalry and useful core units like mounted crossbows.

However, If I were CA, would I use the remaining few impactful soldier types in a mini-campaign, or save them for a main game DLC? I'd chose the latter, I'd prefer to see, double handed anti-horse swords in the main campaign.
  • Warlord_Lu_BuWarlord_Lu_Bu Posts: 2,031Registered Users
    Happy to see the various Xiongnu and Xianbei units! very happy actually... it's time to raid and plunder all under the Eternal Blue Sky again.
    "I am the punishment of Tengri, if you had not sinned, he would not have sent me against you." - Chenghis Khan Temujin
  • johncagejohncage Posts: 246Registered Users
    the basin collar is wrong again. they have an iron pagoda style from hundreds of years later
  • johncagejohncage Posts: 246Registered Users
    watched the videos. that's it, i give up. when you have no taste, you have no taste. the fanboys can keep their power ranger crap, i'm out
  • KirkwaldKirkwald Posts: 359Registered Users
    Nemox said:

Yeah, I feel like the generic unit design is really lackluster. Still, I see this DLC being quite a boon to the modding community. Lots of new assets to play with.

Ehh, I wouldn't say that. I've done a bit of modding myself and spent countless hours with the variant editor.
    So far the only new assets I can see aside from the titular 8 Princes themselves are the new horse armor for cataphracts, as well as the new iron pagoda style armor for the rider as someone else mentioned. The mounted archers also get a new scarf/collar thing that I have never seen before.
    Aside from that everything shown here so far are assets you can already use in the variant editor and frankly, modders have already made use of this.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1793974003&searchtext=

and If you want something a lot more outlandish and fantastical

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1795100145&searchtext=

Nothing so far is as interesting as what modders have done imo. I wish CA would think outside of the box.
  • crazyjim0528crazyjim0528 Posts: 46Registered Users
    edited August 8
    Apart from the cataphrant being added to the vanilla , all the other eight princes unique unit feels like rushing to work, not because they don't use new armor model, but because even use the original armor combination, but the overall look is not tasteful.The unit models made by formal employees are not even as good as those made by moders. It feels amateur.
  • BoombastekBoombastek Posts: 2,025Registered Users

How do you go from Yellow Turban units with giant maces, dual wielding swords, cool ass outfits, to this?

It's like the unit models were made by completely different studios.

YT dlc made different team, that made original game.

I had feels that 8P made team that made 3K. That why it had low quality.