Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Do we need a chariot of white lions?

AzurianAzurian Registered Users Posts: 1,821
Honestly, I would really like them, but there is a widespread belief that such a unit would be superfluous.
It is interesting how many people agree with this point of view.

Tagged:

Comments

• EarthDragonEarthDragon Registered Users Posts: 404
    edited August 2019
    With Ogre Kingdoms “Monstrous” type chariots and such will become a thing.

They are saving it a single unit badass thing more akin to using a Carnasaur versus a standard chariot. They don’t want to steal the thunder too early! Gotta save the best for last!

That’s my thoughts
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Registered Users Posts: 8,190
    Do we need it? No.

However, there are a lot of things that would add to the game without being absolutely necessary.

I think the argument that its redundant is missing something. The WLC would be a tougher, melee-only chariot like the Ithilmar Chariot, but between the lions themselves and the crew wielding greataxes, it can be expected to have a much higher proportion of its damage being AP. The comparison, as I've made before, would be between the Chaos Chariot and the Gorebeast Chariot.

Which, I think, would be filling a gap in the current High Elf roster. High Elves don't have much in the way of mobile armour-piercing in the current list short of phoenixes and dragons: the WLC would give a cheaper (if less mobile and less versatile) alternative to taking a Frostheart Phoenix if you want a well-armoured mobile anti-armour unit.

The fact that High Elves do have other means of dealing with armour does mean that such a unit isn't essential, but neither is it redundant: there is a distinct niche that it can fill.
  • misunderstoodvampiremisunderstoodvampire Registered Users Posts: 931
  • MrMecHMrMecH Registered Users Posts: 2,334
    I want its. It would be special chariot with high melee stats but slower speed. Also have missile resistance (Lion Fur)
    SHUT UP GIVE US GHORGON!!!!!

• WyvaxWyvax Registered Users Posts: 3,143
    We have chariots pulled by uber-raptors and Chaos gorilla monsters already. So why not lions?
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed, Shadow King
    It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
    "Draconic murder ferret attack dog." - Ben1990 describing Shard Dragons.
  • VildvargVildvarg Registered Users Posts: 500
    Maybe after we receive the coveted Gorgon.
  • BoombastekBoombastek Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Main thing of White lion chariot would be AP dmg. So they will had less stat than basic chariot to compensate their high dmg.

Is they truly need? Don't think so.
    Is they add more versile to HE roster? Yes.
    Basic chariots not so useful.

Just look onto DE chariots, AP dmg, ranged AP dmg, they are very good.
  • Xenos7777Xenos7777 Registered Users Posts: 5,951
    We don't need a game, or a computer for that matter. It's all about cool things here.
  • Mogwai_ManMogwai_Man Registered Users Posts: 4,136
    It would be redundant at this point.
  • BrutalbunnyBrutalbunny Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 101

Agreed

What the hell, it was made redundant by a unit that doesn't exist in the tabletop. By this logic then let's just make up a basic low production cost alternative for everything in the game and be done with it.
  • AzurianAzurian Registered Users Posts: 1,821
    Xenos7 said:

What the hell, it was made redundant by a unit that doesn't exist in the tabletop. By this logic then let's just make up a basic low production cost alternative for everything in the game and be done with it.
    Chariots of white lions, existed in a board game for a long time.

Azurian said:

Xenos7 said:

Chariots of white lions, existed in a board game for a long time.
    That's what I said.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Registered Users Posts: 22,094
    No.
    Thanks CA for working with Epic Games to give us Troy for free!
  • TimpeyoTimpeyo Registered Users Posts: 1,553
    Grom will be the begining of something great and I would love white lions in game

• kelembriborkelembribor Registered Users Posts: 710
    edited August 2019
    High Elves need that something special to take down those Mutaliths, Ogres and Slaugherbrutes .

• 39821739175248623982173917524862 Registered Users Posts: 1,146
    Yes, a high tier chariot that causes terror would be great. It's being pulled by white lions after all. It would need to have higher combat stats, but lower speed and acceleration as compensation for the stats and terror.
    And the Skycutter if possible as well.
    edited August 2019
    Xenos7 said:

And when do you expect CA to make brand new 3D modeled high elf units? Another chariot would be redundant to the army. There are plenty of things I wanted to make into the game but alas they're casualties of budget.

What's done is done.

Xenos7 said:

And when do you expect CA to make brand new 3D modeled high elf units? Another chariot would be redundant to the army. There are plenty of things I wanted to make into the game but alas they're casualties of budget.

What's done is done.
    There are others LP coming. I damn well expect complete rosters by the end of this.
  • TheChocolateJesusTheChocolateJesus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,428
    I'd like to see them in the game purely for their aesthetic character. ^^
    It's gotta be a Chocolate Jesus to keep me satisfied.
  • AzurianAzurian Registered Users Posts: 1,821

Yes, a high tier chariot that causes terror would be great. It's being pulled by white lions after all. It would need to have higher combat stats, but lower speed and acceleration as compensation for the stats and terror.

I completely agree with you, even though lions are faster than horses in nature.

edited August 2019
    Xenos7 said:

Xenos7 said:

What's done is done.
    There are others LP coming. I damn well expect complete rosters by the end of this.
    Yeah lord packs, not whole unit packs. White lion chariots in the end still aren't needed for the roster. If by some miracle CA decides to complete rosters, but I wouldn't expect it from them.

• dodge33cymrudodge33cymru Registered Users Posts: 2,138
    I actively don’t want white lion chariots - the sooner they’re eradicated from the lore the better IMO, they just conflicted so many of the stories that came before
  • uriakuriak Registered Users Posts: 3,421
    edited August 2019
    Quite redundant imho, but lostly a silly unit, even for warhammer. Are white lions supposed to be feral or not ? Are lions good beasts of burden ? And of course if you have big lions on your side you’d want them ... tied to a chariot and unable to do their lions thing.
    At least the other fantasy creatures used as chariot pullers look the part. You can imagine those hogs, or brutes being able to give those machine proper momentum.
    Post edited by uriak on
  • ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 27,353
    uriak said:

Quite redundant imho, but lostly a silly unit, even fir warhammer. Are white lions supposed to be feral or not ? Are lions good beasts if burden ? And of course if you have big lions on your side you’d want them ... tied to a chariot and unable to do their lions thing.
    At least the other fantasy creatures used as chariot pullers look the part. You can imagine those hogs, or brute being able to give those machine proper momentum.

Exactly, the WLC is a pretty befuldding addition to the HE roster.

-big cats are terrible draft animals because of their gait and their low stamina
    -if they're tame enough to be made into draft animals, there's really no challenge to killing one as rite of passge for the White Lions of Chrace
    -their role was already given to the Ithilmar Chariot

• Loupi_Loupi_ Registered Users Posts: 2,182
    i think it should be a ROR version of ithilmar
    Azurian said:

I completely agree with you, even though lions are faster than horses in nature.
    Horses make good pack animals due to traction from their hooves. Lions wouldn’t be as good in this area as they wouldn’t be able to pull as easily. They’re bulk and size would make it possible, just not optimal for them (unless they give them “cheetah paws” who have nails not claws but now we’re diverging)

• uriakuriak Registered Users Posts: 3,421
    Even if they could pull a chariot, I still don't see the point in it. Lions like most big cats are animals that are dangerous and once managed to be used as draft animals you end up with tied big cats instead of a pack that could be freely unleashed. Hell even as mounts it makes more sense, see demigryphs. At least here the beasts can attack at will.

"What about wolves" : it's silly too but wolves are incorporated as the standard goblins mounts, so it's not as much as a stretch, goblins don't seem to use the hogs from orcs (they do use squigs so I guess it's more of cultural/class thing). From CA viewpoint the wolves had to be done in any case. Here we are pondering whether modeling lions for a chariot is important.

Gorebeasts, tuskgors and al are more into the "so heavy the momentum alone justifies it"

Now, I guess the disussions around HE kinda revolves around all these "weird" choices, left, WL chariot, sky chariots, merwyrm, because of the regular units having been done (heroes/lords are another thing)

PS : the worst thing about any HE update is that the faction could use some surgical nerfs about income/replenishment but that's not how you sell a DLC.

• ShiroAmakusa75ShiroAmakusa75 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 27,353
    Wolves make sense as draft animals or mounts, I mean the former has happened here on Earth (sled dogs) because they can be domesticated and have the necessary stamina. Goblins have probably been at it for long enough to make it feasible and they're small and light enough to ride them even though that would do hell on your spine.

Squig Riders are said to be insane, drugged to the gills and to actually just grab onto a Squig and let it go rather than purposefully steering it.

uriak said:

Even if they could pull a chariot, I still don't see the point in it. Lions like most big cats are animals that are dangerous and once managed to be used as draft animals you end up with tied big cats instead of a pack that could be freely unleashed. Hell even as mounts it makes more sense, see demigryphs. At least here the beasts can attack at will.

"What about wolves" : it's silly too but wolves are incorporated as the standard goblins mounts, so it's not as much as a stretch, goblins don't seem to use the hogs from orcs (they do use squigs so I guess it's more of cultural/class thing). From CA viewpoint the wolves had to be done in any case. Here we are pondering whether modeling lions for a chariot is important.

Gorebeasts, tuskgors and al are more into the "so heavy the momentum alone justifies it"

Now, I guess the disussions around HE kinda revolves around all these "weird" choices, left, WL chariot, sky chariots, merwyrm, because of the regular units having been done (heroes/lords are another thing)

PS : the worst thing about any HE update is that the faction could use some surgical nerfs about income/replenishment but that's not how you sell a DLC.

Bringing their economy a bit more in line with others is something you just do. It still needs to be “the best” but there is some room to work with there obviously.

My comment was more about how it would make sense for the Chariot to be a little slower, not an argument to not include them. The big point of including those Chariots is just how much they “popped” on the table. Nerds using pourous logic about why raptors are okay to pull a chariot but plus sized lions aren’t is just that: nerds using pourous logic.

White Lions meet the rule of cool. Period.

I feel why stop at chariots. Give me White Lion Cav as well!! The haters have just over stepped their bounds on this one with all the nonsense.