Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Next TW fantasy game Game of Thrones Vs Lord of The Rings (Simarillion/Hobbit) what your choice??

2»

Comments

• kelembriborkelembribor Posts: 413Registered Users
    I would like either, I am fan of both.

Though I disagree that Asoiaf game wouldn't be fun as lot of mods even those made in Attila and Medieval there could be lot of interesting mechanics, some that even 3 Kingdoms fits , especially focus on characters, and expanded or more detailed roster like CMON miniature game has done.

Some examples of various miniatures

End game threat of invasions of Ice and Fire would give great finale.

Ca's version of the game would give much better immersion and beautiful representation of those battles, though naval combat would be required.

• englisharcher89englisharcher89 Senior Member Bath, UKPosts: 3,953Registered Users
    CA + CD Projekt Red

Vampire Counts
    Tomb Kings
    The Empire

"Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death." - Vlad von Carstein
  • GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 2,966Registered Users
    I mean if we were going for a fantasy that could provide a lot of varied stuff I would say Cosmere could provide something interesting (by Brandon Sanderson), if CA could unify the different series/worlds of it. As each world has its own power systems and interesting world. I mean it isn't mainstream atm - though considering he is one of the biggest names in fantasy currently (normally about 3-4 of his series in any top 50 fantasy list and top 10's usually feature 2) it probably won't be long.

Not sure if TW would be a great fit for it, though if CA pulled it off it would be great.
  • BillyRuffianBillyRuffian Moderator UKPosts: 35,976Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Moved to Total War General Chat where discussion of future games belong.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • Rolf1989Rolf1989 Posts: 359Registered Users
    I loved the Med2 mod back in the day.
    I do think LotR in theory could be a very good TW game.
    But it would have to be a vastly different game than what TWW is.

Warhammer's got an advantage when it comes to the lore (fluff). GW have never taken it very seriously, it's been changed a billion times and a ton of it makes no sense. Don't get me wrong, I adore Warhammer, but you'd have to be delusional if you are able to be a WHFB lore purist. Which means CA got a lot of creative freedom, and the fans are more laissez faire when it comes to changes or inconsistencies.

I might be wrong, but I don't see people accepting Balrog stacks, Ents taking over the world or Rohan fighting along side Saruman. For LotR to work for me it would have to be much less sandbox'y that what TW has always been.

There's of course the unit variety which is why I've sunk an obscene amount of hours into TWW. But a tighter, somewhat storydriven campaign based on the world I love, would make up for it.

I like a Song of Ice and Fire a lot, but I don't really care for a TW version. I guess it would work well for the campaign map, with diplomacy, family trees and all that.. but I found out when I tried 3K that I don't care too much about that if the battles are dull.

Yeah I prefer them improving TWW as much as possible. But if they did end up picking up one of those IP's I would be excited, just also very nervous.
  • arghozarghoz Junior Member Posts: 275Registered Users
    edited August 14

arghoz said:

Lotr. GoT would be boring, it would just be tons of human factions. Middle-earth is a much more richer and interesting universe.

As a big Fan of LotR: NO it isn´t. There are some mystic elements but besides the orcs there are only rare mystical creatures. Nothing what you could use in an army. TW Warhammer was the right decision at this time.

LotR is in the end of the "mystical Age" it is the dawn of the age of men and it wouldn´t fit in the lore when you bring an army of ents besides aragorn on the field.

There are also only 5 wizards in the hole universe. no diplomatic actions between the good and the bad guys. etc.

compared with the ASoIaF it would be the worst choice. Just read in the subwiki of ASoIaF. There is plenty of hidden lands and mystical creatures like vyvern, lindworms and even lizardmen. GoT is not identical with ASoIaF. Its not just westeros- CA could expand the map to the east to essos and the shadowlands. Magic is a daily thing there. I think it would be cool to have a more human part of the world (westeros) and a mystical part (rest).

Don´t get me wrong: i would love to get a LotR (strategy) Game again. But TW is the wrong franchise for it.
    I completly disagree. Just by having elves, orcs, dwarves and humans (and tons of others) middle-earth is already richer than GoT. Sure GoT has rare creatures and some variety if you go really far, but few in numbers and the vast majority of factions would be as i said just boring human factions. It would be like medieval 2(or attila) with very similar human factions , and a couple of factions with some unique creatures.
    There would be a lot more variety with Lotr, it would be quite similar to the WH2 games. GoT is just medieval with a small dose of fantasy on top of it, i would rather have Medieval 3.

TW would be perfect for a Lotr game, the Third age mod for Medieval 2 is a good example of it and that was with restricted modability for custom skeletons and animations. If WH2 had been more moddable it would been very easy to create a excellent Lotr mod.
  • DraxynnicDraxynnic Posts: 5,662Registered Users

arghoz said:

Lotr. GoT would be boring, it would just be tons of human factions. Middle-earth is a much more richer and interesting universe.

As a big Fan of LotR: NO it isn´t. There are some mystic elements but besides the orcs there are only rare mystical creatures. Nothing what you could use in an army. TW Warhammer was the right decision at this time.

LotR is in the end of the "mystical Age" it is the dawn of the age of men and it wouldn´t fit in the lore when you bring an army of ents besides aragorn on the field.

There are also only 5 wizards in the hole universe. no diplomatic actions between the good and the bad guys. etc.

compared with the ASoIaF it would be the worst choice. Just read in the subwiki of ASoIaF. There is plenty of hidden lands and mystical creatures like vyvern, lindworms and even lizardmen. GoT is not identical with ASoIaF. Its not just westeros- CA could expand the map to the east to essos and the shadowlands. Magic is a daily thing there. I think it would be cool to have a more human part of the world (westeros) and a mystical part (rest).

Don´t get me wrong: i would love to get a LotR (strategy) Game again. But TW is the wrong franchise for it.
    You could do it, although it would certainly be lower on the fantastical scale than Warhammer.

Diplomacy is certainly something that happens. Sauron would certainly make for a big endgame threat for a Second or Third Age game, but if the game starts well before either such event, there's a lot of potential for diplomacy. You're not likely to get much diplomacy between Orcs/Goblins and Elves/Dwarfs*, but Dwarfs and Elves could have a complex relationship, humans could go either way, different orc/goblin nations could have their own relationships, there are a few undead realms scattered around, and part of the point of a TW game is that you could have history-breaking things happen like Ents wandering out of Fangorn...

I'd also note that while there's a limit on the number of entities with the title of "Wizard", Wizards are not the only ones with magical abilities (although magic would be more limited than in WFB to be sure).
  • SteamageSteamage Posts: 335Registered Users
    Endless Legend Total war!

because of three reasons for me.

1: Sega wouldn't have to buy the license because they already own it.
    2: It's the next more elaborate thing CA could do because LOTR and GOT are far behind in terms of monsters or complexes races.
    3: Ca would get great help from amplitude studios who could design with them the factions, design rosters, sketch and even help the teams active ( programming, modelling, coding, etc.).
  • BreadboxBreadbox Posts: 780Registered Users
    edited August 14
    ASOIAF.
    LOTR Races and monsters has being imitated Ad nauseam. Everything that lotr has, warhammer already has it(in droves). It’s ironic I know, but being the first means that it’s extra vanilla in the modern day.

I’m just really sick and tired of Orcs, elves and dawrves. Even real life seems fresher and more exotic than Orcs, elves and dwarves.

I’d like to see them try something truly fantastical: internal politics, in total war, that is actually good and non superficial.

After that last season I'm surprised anyone would be shameless enough to want a GoT anything.

The amount of sloppy character deaths and butthurt generated is only rivalled by the Endtimes and the death of warhammer fantasy. Why would anyone wants this setting after that shitshow, smh.
    How do warhammer players say this with a straight face or do they just have short memories?
    Post edited by Breadbox on
  • Whiskeyjack_5691Whiskeyjack_5691 Posts: 2,395Registered Users
    Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice & Fire.

I think it'd be a very narrative-focused Total War game, which could be interesting. You'd still have the Sandbox element, but instead of winning the game by conquering X amount of settlements, you have a serious of objective-focused missions (or "Chapters") to complete, similar to Chapter Objectives from previous TW games, and a series of narrative events to help progress the campaign.
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Posts: 8,583Registered Users
    Lord of the Rings

Take note, the cities in LotR. In mod of M2, units are allowed to go inside structures like cave, forts,etc..., How about CA's TW? Several assets on maps also allow units to step on them like mountains, etc...
  • the_real_weedthe_real_weed Member Posts: 238Registered Users
    edited August 15

CA + CD Projekt Red

This is our Man ! Imagine that you could get these powerfull rare beast units by quest chains a litte bit like norsca has their hunting.

I would love to get a The Witcher Total War.