Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Nippon army miniatures

talonntalonn Junior MemberPosts: 509Registered Users
saw this non official Nippon army miniatures by titanforge on reddit. Thought it was pretty cool.

Comments

• davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 3,908Registered Users
    edited August 16

Here's a detailed look at the models:

http://titan-forge.com/92-dragon-empire

I really like them, but they seem to have a bit of everything - what would be their weakness?

Post edited by davedave1124 on
  • EarthDragonEarthDragon Posts: 132Registered Users

I really like them, but they seem to have a bit of everything - what would be their weakness?

Slightly overpriced.

While some don’t understand this concept, that IS a weakness.

But if you were to find a traditional weakness they would have limited shield access as Samurai found them dishonorable in most eras.
  • InsultedHeroInsultedHero Posts: 31Registered Users
    Holy s... . Nippon now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry for my bad english .

Slightly overpriced.

But if you were to find a traditional weakness they would have limited shield access as Samurai found them dishonorable in most eras.
    It can be a weakness, it isn't a weakness by default.
  • rafantomasrafantomas Posts: 419Registered Users
    No,no. Only GW approved.

No,no. Only GW approved.

There's no such thing as a GW approved Nippon army. A Nippon faction will require new troops to be ok'd by GW - which I'd be more than happy with
  • ystyst Posts: 5,685Registered Users
    Some of the coolest looking frikking models ive seen for a while.

Great work finding it, such an eye pleaser, work of art
    https://imgur.com/a/Cj4b9
    Top #3 Leaderboard on Warhammer Totalwar.
    Unit stats compare courtesy of Seal62 https://total-war-unit-compare.herokuapp.com/
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,350Registered Users
    Personal opinion: since dragons are such a big deal for the lore of Cathay, I would personally make dragons exclusive to Cathay and remove them from a potential Nippon roster.

I know dragons obviously exist in Japanese lore as wel, but that's besides the point - rather I'm more concerned with making the armies distinct in both concept, visuals and playstyle.

Slightly overpriced.

It has less to do with shields being dishonorable, and more to do with the fact that the bow was the Samurai's primary weapon, and the sword was mainly a back-up weapon. Carrying a bow and a shield was impractical, especially on horseback.

This is why samurai developed those huge, flat shoulder plates (shode) or large, flat thigh guards (haidate/kuzasuri) which were meant to serve somewhat the same purpose as shields.
  • DessadDessad Posts: 57Registered Users
    Those look amazing ... Too bad my faith in GW/CA adding Nippon to TTW is almost nil at this point.
  • xBlood_RavenxBlood_Raven Posts: 214Registered Users
    For unofficial models, they are really nice to be honest. Nippon actually did have a roster from 1st to 3rd edition. It was very basic and requires much more of a Fantasy touch (not just a copy paste of Shogun 2).

https://old.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/6w50yg/a_nippon_army_roster_created_with_available_lore/

Like most of the Warhammer world, they would definitely have mythological creatures that fit to their real life culture. So Oni, Serpentine Dragons, Kirin, Tengu, etc. Expand upon the "semi-divine Emperor" as a LL and add units like literal Sword Saints, Fire Rockets, etc. That would give a good start for Nippon and allow Shogun 1 and 2 fans to have some decent nostalgia at the same time.
  • AbmongAbmong Posts: 882Registered Users
    Those models makes me sad. It just reminds us of what the WH Far-East could have been had GW not abandoned expanding East.

The "Titan-Forge" models are basically ripoffs of GW ideas. Samurai on temple dogs is blatantly copied from GW's early concepts. Most of their model lines are copied/lifted from GW's WH lores as far as I can tell. Too many similarities to be mere coincidence.
    Total War: Warhammer IV - Cathay, Ind, Nippon, Khuresh (+ Lost Vampire Bloodlines, Monkey kingdom DLC) :#

Personal opinion: since dragons are such a big deal for the lore of Cathay, I would personally make dragons exclusive to Cathay and remove them from a potential Nippon roster.

I know dragons obviously exist in Japanese lore as wel, but that's besides the point - rather I'm more concerned with making the armies distinct in both concept, visuals and playstyle.

Slightly overpriced.

It has less to do with shields being dishonorable, and more to do with the fact that the bow was the Samurai's primary weapon, and the sword was mainly a back-up weapon. Carrying a bow and a shield was impractical, especially on horseback.

This is why samurai developed those huge, flat shoulder plates (shode) or large, flat thigh guards (haidate/kuzasuri) which were meant to serve somewhat the same purpose as shields.
    It would be interesting to use a different style of Dragon or use more unique monster options like Crow Demons.

We seem sure that all factions on Nippon would be the same, however there could be powerful infantry factions against the more demonic/magic factions. Could have something based on the Okinawans or the anui people:

The Okinawans were similar to traditional Japanese armies except they used shields and had aspects of mainland Chinese armies.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,350Registered Users
    It wouldn't make sense to make two races sitting in Nippon. It'd be like giving Nordland its own army roster.

Some kind of special unit? Sure, hypothetically, but it's farfatched enough to discuss Nippon, and kinda absurd to discuss Nippon and a completely random additional faction/race based on nothing from warhammer.
  • AbmongAbmong Posts: 882Registered Users
    edited August 17

Slightly overpriced.

I think it would be fine to have both Cathay can Nippon have serpentine dragons. Just make them slightly different like the Dark Elves have the Black Dragons and Wood Elves have Forest Dragons as opposed to the High Elves' ones. You still have the main bulk of the armies to make them look distinctive. 2-3 of the same unit isn't going to hurt the overall distinctiveness IMO.

Cathay does need to be purged of some of the Japanese infleunces though. For some reason Alan Bligh slipped up when he wrote Tamurkhan. In Sayls' attack on the Tower of Ashshair he invented Cathayan units which sounds way too Japanese to me.

Shugengan wizards... based on the Japanese Shugenja.
    Onyx Crow Men... based on the Japanese Tengu

The Crow Men could work though since the Japanese did depict their deities and anthropomorphic creatures in Chinese Tang armour. Understandable since Japan was heavy infleunce by Tang dynasty fashions.

Here's one in the Chinese Tang armour I mentioned.

Nippon can have the actual flesh and blood version based on their later depictions of Tengu

Note these are wearing Shugenja practitioner's style clothing.

Also GW had Cathayan Palace Guard wearing green "lacquered scale armour"... And Ogre Maneaters mercenaries serving in Cathay wearing "lacquered bamboo armour" Those sound more Japanese than any Chinese armours I know of.
    Total War: Warhammer IV - Cathay, Ind, Nippon, Khuresh (+ Lost Vampire Bloodlines, Monkey kingdom DLC) :#

It wouldn't make sense to make two races sitting in Nippon. It'd be like giving Nordland its own army roster.

Some kind of special unit? Sure, hypothetically, but it's farfatched enough to discuss Nippon, and kinda absurd to discuss Nippon and a completely random additional faction/race based on nothing from warhammer.

There's a difference between race and factions. The Empire holds lots of factions and if CA go into any further detail with them then the Empire factions should look different to each other, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

I'm not sure having the people of Nippon as similar to the borg, throughout the land represents the Warhammer world so well.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 759Registered Users
    This has potential.

Hope they rework the ME map or make a new Globe map and put all Races, Lords and Units in!