Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Do DLCs not sell as well as we think?

KelefaneKelefane Posts: 1,300Registered Users
This maybe skewed a bit, but if you go by reviews on Steam, and for example, the last DLC we got which was the Prophet and the Warlock, it doesn't even have 700 reviews yet. Tomb Kings DLC for example barely has 1500 reviews. Vampire Coast doesn't even have 1000 reviews. The base game however has 20k reviews.

So if you use number of reviews as a barometer, then DLCs haven't been selling as well as people think they have. I know a lot of people frown upon DLCs and refuse to even buy them for various games.

I understand that reviews shouldn't be used as an absolute gauge here. But the low number of reviews for the DLCs when compared to the large number of reviews for the base game has to mean something.

Comments

• GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 3,078Registered Users
    As I recall most of the DLCs for WH2 make it into the steam topsellers when they are announced, I don't think there is any issue with the WH DLCs performance
  • KelefaneKelefane Posts: 1,300Registered Users
    Goatforce said:

As I recall most of the DLCs for WH2 make it into the steam topsellers when they are announced, I don't think there is any issue with the WH DLCs performance

I think maybe the reason you see the DLCs added to it is because the base game is a best seller. I don't necessarily think it means that DLC itself is a best seller. I'll admit though I don't understand how that best seller section works, but I've seen some questionable titles in it like Rime for example. Which ended up flopping.
  • RomoRRomoR Posts: 16Registered Users
    edited August 15
    I just think most people review DLC's less than main games, I know I do, and buy a lot of DLC's, just never reviewed any...
  • GoatforceGoatforce Posts: 3,078Registered Users
    Kelefane said:

Goatforce said:

I think maybe the reason you see the DLCs added to it is because the base game is a best seller. I don't necessarily think it means that DLC itself is a best seller. I'll admit though I don't understand how that best seller section works, but I've seen some questionable titles in it like Rime for example. Which ended up flopping.
    They are separate, both WH2 and Vampire Coast were in the bestsellers at the same time when Coast was announced I think.
  • SakuraHeinzSakuraHeinz Junior Member Posts: 2,166Registered Users
    I own all the DLC and never made a single review.
  • RikisRikis Posts: 1,146Registered Users
    If they werent selling they would stop making them. What company would continue making something that lost them money?
  • DaGangsterDaGangster Junior Member Posts: 890Registered Users
    I hardly review a game, let alone a dlc, yet I buy more than I care to admit.

Team Vampire Counts

"Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson
    Rikis said:

If they werent selling they would stop making them. What company would continue making something that lost them money?

Perhaps it could have something to do with the long delays between releases? Hey, just saying. I've been wrong before. WH1 started off hot and heavy machine gunning DLCs to us left and right, but then all of a sudden releases crawled to a snail's pace.

And some games need DLC regardless for completeness sake. Warhammer is one of those games. Because sometimes games are created unfinished due to having DLC in mind.

I hardly review a game, let alone a dlc, yet I buy more than I care to admit.

Yeah but one has to wonder why the review numbers are as small as they are. We aren't talking about 50% less of the reviews the base game has, but near 90% or so at times depending on the DLC. Unless what you're saying there is common practice for dang near every gamer out there.
  • redknight83redknight83 Posts: 110Registered Users
    edited August 15

I own all the DLC and never made a single review.

I second that, I got better things to do than putting in a review for each DLC, like playing them and enjoying them.

Although it is handy to read what the rest of the gaming community makes of a product from just other people enjoying the game.

I will usually leave a review for the base game but that is it.
  • davedave1124davedave1124 Senior Member Posts: 4,098Registered Users
    Yeah you don't get many DLCs that jump to the top of the global Steam charts - I think they're doing ok.
  • angry_rat_loverangry_rat_lover Posts: 793Registered Users
    I have never reviewed a DLC in my life
    Soon
  • CrossilCrossil Posts: 4,490Registered Users
    edited August 16
    The average player count has been consistent with each release. So not like the player base is being lost and every release the same spike in interest appears on steamcharts when DLC is released.

The only DLC missing is some more races but I think the lockdown on them is on GW's side rather than CA not wanting to make more races.
    UNLEASH THE EVERCHARIOT
  • psychoakpsychoak Posts: 2,334Registered Users
    We have absolute evidence on the minimums for some of the DLC sales, we just don't know the full picture. Faction specific achievements.

The highest is for High Elves, at 46.9%, accomplished by researching 10 technologies. This tells you less than half the customer base has actually played a campaign with them to any significant degree. Not surprising given the median play time is only around 60 hours.

A Khalida specific achievement is actually next faction down the list, at 34.1%, Vampire Coast is down at 23.7%, and is simply to gain infamy. Both of these are pretty much guaranteed to be accomplished if the owners have ever played them, and serve as an absolute minimum. The question is then, how many people have TK but haven't played Khalida(I haven't for instance) to such a simple goal as killing a thousand Vampire Count units in a battle, or have Vampire Coast but haven't played it to the almost immediate goal of gaining a point of infamy.

Then there's the other question, are these people the same people, or is the say 40% that bought Tomb Kings, and 25% that bought Vampire Coast, only a 10% overlap? If that's the case, then cross DLC becomes a scary proposition where CA has to convince 10% of their customers to buy the DLC, and another 15% of their customers, to buy Vampire Coast, in order to reasonably sell a cross DLC between them with the same success as Vampire Coast.
  • DEM0N_LLAMADEM0N_LLAMA Posts: 459Registered Users
    Actually this is completely normal. Go check out literally any other game on steam. The base game always has way, way more reviews then any of the DLC.
  • Vanilla_GorillaVanilla_Gorilla Posts: 16,392Registered Users
    That they're making more than we expected suggests otherwise.
    Game 3 must have variety in its core races. Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs, Kislev, and Demons of Chaos in its full iconic, glorious, undivided glory.
  • arghozarghoz Junior Member Posts: 281Registered Users
    Everyone i know who plays WH2 owns all the dlcs, so i would find it strange if they are not selling very well. The lack of reviews on dlcs is normal, i own all the dlcs too and have not written a review.
  • twwatchertwwatcher Posts: 2,215Registered Users
    There is a rough correlation between the number of steam reviews a game has verses likely sales number but even then you are probably only talking about 1% of the customer base doing so at best.

DLCs just dont have the same profile as a place in which it seems worthwhile leaving a review for the vast majority of purchasers.

For TWW specifically you can look at achievements, 28.2% have crafted a magic item as TK , 23.7% as VCoast have gained infamy. These are pretty good as an indicator of pick up probably around the 1/3 mark so over 500 000 in sales, assuming TWW 2 is probably around 2M by now.
  • AnothaGitAnothaGit Posts: 186Registered Users
    For new games i usually watch gameplay first (oh happy days....remember Legend killing the first Templehof army with just Mannfred and the Vargwulf to preserve those precious zombies? ). Never felt the need to read any TWWH related review let alone write one.

• MasariusMasarius Senior Member Posts: 613Registered Users
    edited August 16
    We should write some reviews for dlcs on steam.
    Till shade is gone,
    till water is gone,
    into the Shadow with the teeth bared,
    screaming defiance with the last breath,
    to spit into Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Posts: 1,577Registered Users

Actually this is completely normal. Go check out literally any other game on steam. The base game always has way, way more reviews then any of the DLC.

For all we know, people might be leaving reviews pertaining to the DLCs on the main game, because they're reviewing the experience as a whole (later buyers especially), or maybe they just can't be arsed to go to the specific DLC page.
  • Elder_MolochElder_Moloch Posts: 1,783Registered Users
    psychoak said:

A Khalida specific achievement is actually next faction down the list, at 34.1%, Vampire Coast is down at 23.7%, and is simply to gain infamy. Both of these are pretty much guaranteed to be accomplished if the owners have ever played them, and serve as an absolute minimum. The question is then, how many people have TK but haven't played Khalida(I haven't for instance) to such a simple goal as killing a thousand Vampire Count units in a battle, or have Vampire Coast but haven't played it to the almost immediate goal of gaining a point of infamy.

Then there's the other question, are these people the same people, or is the say 40% that bought Tomb Kings, and 25% that bought Vampire Coast, only a 10% overlap? If that's the case, then cross DLC becomes a scary proposition where CA has to convince 10% of their customers to buy the DLC, and another 15% of their customers, to buy Vampire Coast, in order to reasonably sell a cross DLC between them with the same success as Vampire Coast.

I'm here for short time, so probably won't be able to reply, so hope no one would take "no replies from me" personal.

Main issue with your example is that Khalida achievement was bugged.
    It has such high numbers for it compared to other achievements (even to most simple one for TK which is at 28,2%), because you could kill any army of Vampire Counts and get this achievement.
    At least it was a thing for playing Vampire Counts campaign. Even, though I didn't own TK DLC at that point, I got this achievement by killing lots of Templehof zombies with Mannfred, which was quite easy to do at the beginning of the game. As far as I'm aware it was fixed with next patch, but effect still visible.

With that said, I don't think, if any other achievement has such big impact on general DLC stats perspective. So in any case it could be potentially somehow representative, but probably should be based on these stats:
    twwatcher said:

28.2% have crafted a magic item as TK , 23.7% as VCoast have gained infamy. These are pretty good as an indicator of pick up probably around the 1/3 mark so over 500 000 in sales, assuming TWW 2 is probably around 2M by now.

And even in this case there would be people who just didn't have time to play DLC content or didn't want to play DLC content atm, but still purchased it. It would be especially fair for more recent DLCs.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• psychoakpsychoak Posts: 2,334Registered Users
    I don't pay attention to the achievement system, so I'm not surprised I missed a bug in acquisition, but I did list those as minimums, not maximums.
  • WyvaxWyvax Posts: 1,912Registered Users
    I hardly ever write reviews on Steam myself, and less so on DLCs. It'd have to revamp the game into something amazing or completely break it for me to want to do so, that or it's a soundtrack DLC and I want others to enjoy it.

Basically the point is that most players think "why bother?" when it comes to reviewing DLC's. Usually they're of a similar quality to the base game and therefore those reviews are all that matters. This isn't always the case but it's true often enough.
    Tomes read: The Great Betrayal, Master of Dragons, Curse of the Phoenix Crown, Trollslayer, Skavenslayer, Daemonslayer, Dragonslayer, Beastslayer, Vampireslayer, Malekith, The Bloody Handed

It's T. rex, not T-Rex, you filthy casuals.
  • Elder_MolochElder_Moloch Posts: 1,783Registered Users
    psychoak said:

I don't pay attention to the achievement system, so I'm not surprised I missed a bug in acquisition, but I did list those as minimums, not maximums.

Fair. It's not like I try to nitpick - just tried to present some additional info related to this achievement and correct some potential ideas based on its stats, while also providing feedback in general regarding this topic.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 18,648Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    Business discussion. Moved to TW Chat.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin