Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

TAA shimmering and flickering!

Spadizzle9289Spadizzle9289 Junior MemberPosts: 27Registered Users
youtu.be/qCEMc4TTHkM
Please forgive me if I posted my video wrong, I have never done this before.

CA you have totally ignored this bug! Myself and other users complained since Day 1! TAA is causing MASSIVE shimmering and flickering around units and some vegetation. It is extremely ugly and makes the game UNPLAYABLE! When large amounts of units march upon me from a distance they look like clouds of static from the immense shimmering! PLEASE STOP IGNORING AND FIX IT!

I have tried every single graphics setting imaginable. It is not the settings or my PC. It is your game! I have uninstalled and re-installed several times. I have an i5 6600k and an RTX 2070 with 16 GB of DDR4 RAM. My hardware is MORE than capable of running this at max settings on 1080p, which is what I run it at.

FXAA is utterly useless and does nothing. I don't want to hear the "well just use FXAA" stuff. Somehow the graphics in this game look worse than previous titles? How is that possible? Has anyone seen what fire arrows look like from a distance? Looks like N64 graphics lol.

FIX THE ANTI-ALIASING PROBLEMS

Comments

• Spadizzle9289Spadizzle9289 Junior Member Posts: 27Registered Users

more videos here that show what I'm talking about better

There was another user here in May/June when the game first dropped and his name was "Gedinimas" or something like that. Sorry if I butchered your name lol. He had the exact same problem I was having. I believe that there are others that have the problem too but just aren't noticing it or even worse, they don't care. I play in 1080p for what it's worth, just to re-iterate. I've even tried different monitors, I re-installed every piece of hardware in my CPU and gave it a great clean-down. I don't know how it could be my hardware, my RTX 2070 was just bought in February. It runs everything else perfect. The other guy Gedinimas doesn't have an RTX 2070 either, I believe he has a GTX 1080. This is driving me insane
    Here I have attached the things needed as per the instructions thread. Sorry for not including before. Please look into this problem!
  • BBBenjaminBBBenjamin Posts: 4Registered Users
    I have the same issue here and it is surely not because of lack of hardware!
    Hopefully support will soon come up with a solution. I just bought the game and can't even play it because the shimmering is on the campaign map and not just on the battle map and it is going crazy!
    Can't even get a simple "we're looking into it". Thanks CA, you're spectacular. I love being ignored.
  • GediminasLMGediminasLM Junior Member Posts: 32Registered Users
    edited August 11
    Yes, I still have this issue I reported few months ago:
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/243802

I upgraded my motherboard and CPU, also got new RAM, SSD, PSU and this flickering is still there. It's basically a new PC with fresh Windows 10 install. And 90% of games still have AA issues. The most recent one is No Man's Sky with TAA enabled:

I don't think it's just CA issue, because it happens in other games too. Spadizzle9289, do you have and could test other games? Since you have this problem in 3K, it's possible you will have it in other games too.

If you want, you can share your experience with us here:
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/638876-jagged-shadowspop-inlow-lod-and-jagged-aa/

Post edited by GediminasLM on
    I don't possess any other games with TAA. I can't really do that. I find it concerning that you replaced every single part in your PC and still get the problem. That makes no sense. How could the problem be from our end in that case?

Could it be a display/monitor issue? Do you run at 1080p? I tried a different 1080p display but still get the problem. However I have not tried using a higher definition display mainly because I don't have access to one.
    edited August 11
    That's the thing: we don't know what causes AA to not work correctly. I replaced all parts in the computer, tried laptop with integrated graphics, tried my previous PCs, several monitors and TVs, reinstall OS, software, change various settings etc. Nothing solves it.

In my... ours case? No, I don't think it's monitor. Like I said, I tried several monitors, 1080p and 1440p, also 4k TV, TAA flickering is still there. Also tried to change cables, switch between HDMI and DVI, change refresh rate, overclock it, gamma and picture settings, so I think it's safe to say that's not the monitor issue.

How about GPU? Tried RTX 2080 Ti, GTX 1080 Ti, GTX 1070, GTX 980, laptop with 860m, even integrated graphics. Massive flickering is there, no matter what you do.

Since AA is handled and rendered by GPU, I would say it's GPU or driver related issue. But since I tried so many builds and GPUs and dozen of drivers, I'm not sure anymore.

Again, we don't know, we just don't know what causes these massive AA issues in our PCs.

I've been fighting this issue in past 8 months. If you EVER find a solution, please let me know. That would be miracle.
    Post edited by GediminasLM on
  • yedunboyyedunboy Posts: 1Registered Users
    I have this same issue on my rig which is brand new and built specifically for Total War. I run the game on Ultra at 1440p with good framerate, but there is very bad tearing at the edges of all units. Creates a hazy or shimmering effect around units when viewed from even a slight distance. It gets bad when I zoom out, I can hardly distinguish individual soldiers. Even trees, buildings, and foliage don’t look good because everything seems hazy or grainy. I start a round of Dynasty Mode to benchmark my settings and every single time I am struck by how blurry everything looks, even the big tree in the centre. Im not an expert on PC graphics, but I’m pretty sure it shouldn’t look like that on Ultra/Max. It’s actually baffling. I won’t post hardware specs yet as I think this an issue with the anti aliasing.

It’s been several months since Three Kingdoms releases and I haven’t seen any acknowledgement about this issue anywhere from CA. I’m not one to care about graphical fidelity to a high degree, but the tearing, blurriness, pixelated units, and shimmering armies and flora are all distracting and take away from the beautiful graphics and art design that this game clearly has.

Hoping for a solution in the near future because this single issue is affecting my enjoyment of the game. I would love to sink a few hundreds more hours into Three Kingdoms but I’d like this bug/issue fixed first. The issue is really that noticeable and while the game is still playable mechanic wise, every time i see a shimmering enemy army I just want to stop playing. This whole game is about watching armies clash so I hope this gets resolved quickly with a FXAA/TAA/MSAA
    patch. Even a reply from CA saying that they recognize this issue would make some difference to me at this point.
    edited August 30
    yedunboy said:

I have this same issue on my rig which is brand new and built specifically for Total War. I run the game on Ultra at 1440p with good framerate, but there is very bad tearing at the edges of all units. Creates a hazy or shimmering effect around units when viewed from even a slight distance. It gets bad when I zoom out, I can hardly distinguish individual soldiers. Even trees, buildings, and foliage don’t look good because everything seems hazy or grainy. I start a round of Dynasty Mode to benchmark my settings and every single time I am struck by how blurry everything looks, even the big tree in the centre. Im not an expert on PC graphics, but I’m pretty sure it shouldn’t look like that on Ultra/Max. It’s actually baffling. I won’t post hardware specs yet as I think this an issue with the anti aliasing.

It’s been several months since Three Kingdoms releases and I haven’t seen any acknowledgement about this issue anywhere from CA. I’m not one to care about graphical fidelity to a high degree, but the tearing, blurriness, pixelated units, and shimmering armies and flora are all distracting and take away from the beautiful graphics and art design that this game clearly has.

Hoping for a solution in the near future because this single issue is affecting my enjoyment of the game. I would love to sink a few hundreds more hours into Three Kingdoms but I’d like this bug/issue fixed first. The issue is really that noticeable and while the game is still playable mechanic wise, every time i see a shimmering enemy army I just want to stop playing. This whole game is about watching armies clash so I hope this gets resolved quickly with a FXAA/TAA/MSAA
    patch. Even a reply from CA saying that they recognize this issue would make some difference to me at this point.

Same flickering as in our videos or something different? Could you make a video of your problem? If it's the same, then you should test other games. Do you have any of the games I tested in my channel? If this happens in other games then this means we most likely have common issue. And, sadly, there is no solution for it.

TAA is quite opposite for me actually. Screen is very sharp and clear. But the flickering on many surfaces... I just can't play like that. Do you have Depth of Field enabled? This can cause blurry picture.

Like I said, if you have the same issue as me and Spadizzle9289, then there is no fix. And there won't be any. At least not from CA, because this happens on many other games too. I changed all parts of my PC, tried different PCs, did clean reinstall of OS, but nothing solves it. There is clearly something very wrong with AA, but what causes it to not work correctly, we just don't know.