Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

More classy, true vampires and Lahmians Lords.

Deep_echo_soundDeep_echo_sound Registered Users Posts: 601
Stylish, seductive and deceptive midnight aristocracy.

Less with a rotten zombieish looks.

Comments

• ASyrianASyrian Registered Users Posts: 1,016
    Thats not 8 edition
    Sry Bro
  • Deep_echo_soundDeep_echo_sound Registered Users Posts: 601
    And, for the male vampire characters, more undead monstrous looks is great.
    Like for count Noctilus form the same artist and in the same art style. Totally remarkable to my taste.

• WaaaghCheifWaaaghCheif Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,295
    Lahmian Vampiress should definitely get a touch-up and added more assets rather than the literal reskin we have now, ideally with a Neferata release.

• BaronRodneyBaronRodney Registered Users Posts: 1,075

Lahmian Vampiress should definitely get a touch-up and added more assets rather than the literal reskin we have now, ideally with a Neferata release.

Never seen a tabletop model more pixelated than its in game equivalent before!
  • jamreal18jamreal18 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 12,767
    edited September 2019
    ^The one above looks like Isabella

This is better
  • ArsenicArsenic Registered Users Posts: 6,781
    One thing that always struck me as a bit unlikely regarding "seductive" vampires, surely they'd have absolutely foul breath, living off nothing but blood?
    For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.
  • Sir_GodspeedSir_Godspeed Registered Users Posts: 3,410
    The Vampire Counts underwent a kind of aesthetic change from 6th( 5th?) to 8th Edition.

The previous models, which were very specific to the different Bloodlines, attempted to capture the unique identity of each of them, and has desiccated Necrarchs, militaristic Blood Dragons, feral Strigoi, and yes, elegant, suave and metropolitan Sylvanians and Lahmians.

These models were very understated compared to the modern style. The von Carsteins' suits had a few bat-designs here and there, if I remember correctly, but beyond that they looked quite plain and like the kind of clothes a human noble might wear. Ditto for the Lahmians, who wore the kind of giant wigs and low-cut dresses with corsets you show above (but bigger hair, iirc.).

Something happened though, and by the time of 7th and 8th edition, pretty much all of the Vampire Count models had blood-red spiky armor, batwing-shaped pauldrons and capes, wicked, long blades, blood and bat imagaery everywhere, and they looked horrifying (and some would say horrifically overdesigned, but that's another topic). They did not look like anything that could passably fit into human societies as secret agents and infiltrators.

From a lore perspective, I would argue that probably not that much changed. Rather, I would argue that the latter editions focused more on what vampires look like on the battlefield, when they drop their masquerade and go full-on evil lords. But that's just my opinion.
  • OdTengriOdTengri Registered Users Posts: 6,724
    Part of what happened between 6th-8th edition is the basically dropped all the bloodlines except for the Von Carstines
  • TayvarTayvar Registered Users Posts: 12,407
    Why I have a feeling that someone was taking shots at Vlad? :)
  • BaronRodneyBaronRodney Registered Users Posts: 1,075
    Arsenic said:

One thing that always struck me as a bit unlikely regarding "seductive" vampires, surely they'd have absolutely foul breath, living off nothing but blood?

I think if you get close enough to notice that detail there may be many other indicators as well! Chances are the illusion of humanity is only workable at a respectable distance... Actually that applies to some people I know too come to think of it!
    Arsenic said:

Your talking about a medieval time period, dental hygiene had yet to be invented. Everyones breath smelt like a rotting dung heap.

The Vampire Counts underwent a kind of aesthetic change from 6th( 5th?) to 8th Edition.

The previous models, which were very specific to the different Bloodlines, attempted to capture the unique identity of each of them, and has desiccated Necrarchs, militaristic Blood Dragons, feral Strigoi, and yes, elegant, suave and metropolitan Sylvanians and Lahmians.

These models were very understated compared to the modern style. The von Carsteins' suits had a few bat-designs here and there, if I remember correctly, but beyond that they looked quite plain and like the kind of clothes a human noble might wear. Ditto for the Lahmians, who wore the kind of giant wigs and low-cut dresses with corsets you show above (but bigger hair, iirc.).

Something happened though, and by the time of 7th and 8th edition, pretty much all of the Vampire Count models had blood-red spiky armor, batwing-shaped pauldrons and capes, wicked, long blades, blood and bat imagaery everywhere, and they looked horrifying (and some would say horrifically overdesigned, but that's another topic). They did not look like anything that could passably fit into human societies as secret agents and infiltrators.

From a lore perspective, I would argue that probably not that much changed. Rather, I would argue that the latter editions focused more on what vampires look like on the battlefield, when they drop their masquerade and go full-on evil lords. But that's just my opinion.

The Strigoi and Necrarch was always 'looks like Orlok', so they always has a hard time to fit in, even though Gashnag was able to do that. The main change was with the von Carsteins models, looks like GW felt like the von Carsteins don't look grimdark enough, and CA has taken it further, and make Vlad look like a zombie, in Total War Vlad is looking worse than a generic Strigoi lord, as for the Lahmians, they always cared the most about the masquerade in the Warhammer Setting, Neferata come to the conclusion that it's directly ruling the lands of the living is impossible for the dead, and Vlad and Mannfred defeats in the lore seems to have proven her right.

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Gashnag
  • BereaverBereaver Registered Users Posts: 918
    Tayvar said:

The Strigoi and Necrarch was always 'looks like Orlok', so they always has a hard time to fit in, even though Gashnag was able to do that. The main change was with the von Carsteins models, looks like GW felt like the von Carsteins don't look grimdark enough, and CA has taken it further, and make Vlad look like a zombie, in Total War Vlad is looking worse than a generic Strigoi lord, as for the Lahmians, they always cared the most about the masquerade in the Warhammer Setting, Neferata come to the conclusion that it's directly ruling the lands of the living is impossible for the dead, and Vlad and Mannfred defeats in the lore seems to have proven her right.

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Gashnag
    Neferata's own tactics utterely failed though. Not long before the begining of the End Times her covert agent network has been destroyed/taken over by Mannfred and she did not had a spirit to take a direct battle for supremacy against Von Carsteins.
    Before return of the Nagash (and eventual ressurection of Vlad) messing everything up, Mannfred was steadily taking over the mantle of the ruler of the all Vampires Counts factions. He commanded both Necrarchs, Strigoi, Blood Dragons and Lahmians, being the only Vampire close enough to be an actual ruler of all Vampires after the destruction of Lahmia. Mannfred actually had a nice show running before writers wrecked him and his character in End Times.
  • yolordmcswagyolordmcswag Registered Users Posts: 3,865
    I think the lore states that vampires are all rotting corpses, and the only way for them to maintain a human appearance is to consume human blood on a very regular basis. As such, only vampires that live hidden amongst humans would bother to maintain human looks, while many would simply not bother. In any case, even Lahmians would propably forsake some of their human looks when going into battle, so the game's look might be more aproriate, Vlad aside.
    OdTengri said:

Part of what happened between 6th-8th edition is the basically dropped all the bloodlines except for the Von Carstines

Unfortunately but CA clearly like the bloodlines concept, and Neferata got a new model in the End Times.
    Tayvar said:

OdTengri said:

Unfortunately but CA clearly like the bloodlines concept, and Neferata got a new model in the End Times.
    One of my biggest gripes about Warhammer Fantasy is how they handled the Undead. They took all the possibilities of the undead and focused all of it as a manifestation of the Von Carstines.

They Ignored the other blood lines.
    They ignored other archetypes of undeath. (Ghosts, Wights, Ect...)
    They ignored that Undeath was a natural phenomina that existed outside of Nagash and occurred before his existence.
  • MaedrethnirMaedrethnir Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 13,614

And, for the male vampire characters, more undead monstrous looks is great.
    Like for count Noctilus form the same artist and in the same art style. Totally remarkable to my taste.

If only he looked like this in the game. You see CA, nautical themed spikes, that's how you do it! Monstrous face, that's how you do it!
  • Lord_DistamorfinLord_Distamorfin Registered Users Posts: 1,304
    We just need more assets in general. I want to see Neferata and W'soran added as lords partly because they would bring much needed assets with them for the Lahmian and Necrarch vampires. The same can also be said for other races. Why does every Empire Captain have an eye missing? Too many units just look too samey. Dryrain and other aesthetic modders can only do so much with what they have available.
  • DerPhonixDerPhonix Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 587
    I'd be ok with her attacking me
    OdTengri said:

Tayvar said:

OdTengri said:

One of my biggest gripes about Warhammer Fantasy is how they handled the Undead. They took all the possibilities of the undead and focused all of it as a manifestation of the Von Carstines.

They Ignored the other blood lines.
    They ignored other archetypes of undeath. (Ghosts, Wights, Ect...)
    They ignored that Undeath was a natural phenomina that existed outside of Nagash and occurred before his existence.
    Undeath was a natural phenomina? in the warhammer setting, all magic comes from chaos, and therefore basically all magical beings are unnatural, ghosts are souls of dead individuals, so necromancy didn't created them, but necromancy has kept them around in the world of the living. Yes GW started to almost completely ignore other bloodlines in the later editions, but then again, GW has also mostly ignored humans factions that exist outside of the old world, and cathay was almost completely ignored.
  • DraculasaurusDraculasaurus Registered Users Posts: 4,771
    I'll always prefer monstrous vampires to the alternative.