Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Speculation: The special units that come with taking Imperial provincial capitals

bradleyvincentwellsbradleyvincentwells Registered Users Posts: 335
We know that when an Empire player takes Reikland, the Carroburg Greatswords are available to them. Very cool. Great new mechnaic and feature for the Empire as part of the FLC updates for The Hunter and The Beast. Very good to add the Carroburg Greatswords because YAY CARROBURG GREATSWORDS! Also, it is consistent with the lore in that though they are from Carroburg, the Carroburg Greatswords reside in Altdorf. Whether these special units are Regiments of Renown (RoR) or something akin to the Blessed Spawning mechanic for Lizardmen remains to be seen. Personally, I'm fine either way.

What we can say is each of the remaining 12 provinces will provide unique units. But, what are those units? Let us speculate, shall we?

From the Hunter and The Beast trailer, we can gleam a few. We see a unit of handgunners with longer-ish rifles, getting ready to blast an oncoming horse of Lizardmen into paste. Hochland Long Rifles? Maybe. We also see a Blue Steam Tank. Special unit from Nuln/Wissenland? Possibly.

If we breakdown each province and go back the traits and/or special units those provinces are known for, we can get a sense of which units they may provide. It is logical to assume that these units are re-skins of existing assets. For me, this is totally a-okay. If you feel different, please comment.

Let us start with what we know.

Reikland: Carroburg Greatswords

Next, we can speculate based on what we have seen in the trailer.

Hochland: Hochland Long Rifles
Wissenland: Special Steam Tank

For the rest, we can speculate based on the units that these provinces are known for. The personality of the provinces should also factor in.

Averland

Provincial Traits: Known for their changeable dispositions. Maintain strong relations with the Dwarfs. Long history of battling Greenskins. Astrology is popular with the province.
Known Averland Units:
  • Knights of the Black Bear, or Order of the Black Bear, have a chapterhouse in Averheim, per the lore. These could be re-skinned Empire Knights with special traits, like +1 strength.
  • An Empire unit of Dwarf Crossbowmen is an interesting idea. In earlier editions of Warhammer Fantasy, an Empire player could field one unit of Dwarfs Crossbowmen or Warriors, signifying that these were Dwarfs that lived in the Imperial Provinces, such as Averland.
  • A special Celestial Wizard is a possibility considering the province's connection to Astrology.

Talabecland

Provincial Traits: Worship of the nature gods, Taal and Rhya. Urlic worship is prominent there as well. People make their living from the woods. Known as strong, silent types. Place has a reputation for barbarism and ignorance among the other provinces.
Known Talabecland Units:
  • Knights of the Blazing Sun have their chapterhouse in Talabheim. There is a special building there in-game. KotBS are already units that can be researched and purchased.
  • Knights of Sigmar's Blood have their chapterhouse in Heldenhamme Keep in Talabecland. These zealot knights train within the Cult of Sigmar and are led by the brother of Marius Leitdorf, Electro Count of Averland.
  • Knights of the White Wolf are known to operate in this province, though they are more closely associated with Middenheim.
    A special Amber Wizard is a possibility considering the province's worship of Taal.

Stirland

Provincial Traits: Known as a backwater. Borders Sylvania, which means they are in near-constant war with vampires and undead. Incredibly superstitious people. Connections with Morr worship and Death Magic.
Known Stirland Units:
  • Stirland's Revenge is already a RoR in-game.
  • The Order of the Sacred Scythe patrols the borders between Stirland and Sylvania. This order is known for their vampire-hunting prowess. Known for their skull masks and their scythe weapons. They hate undead, but yet are shunned by other Knightly Orders.
  • Order of the Black Rose are closely associated with Morr, the god of death. They act as bodyguards for the Elector Count of Stirland. Also known for their skull masks and dread nature.
  • A special Witch Hunter is possible considering Stirland's long history of battling undead.

Ostermark

Provincial Traits: The damned city of Mordhiem lies within its borders. A province with a long history of being conquered and/or raided. Strong association with Kislev. Vampire hunters from Ostermark are world renowned.
Known Ostermark Units:
  • A special Witch Hunter unit.
  • Since horses are a theme with this province, a special Outrider may fit.

Ostland

Provincial Traits: People here live a rugged lifestyle, close to ancient trees and forests. Not known for adopting tech-based weapons. Swords, spears, and bows are their preference.
Known Ostland Units:
  • A special Amber Wizard would make sense.
  • Another special Huntsman or Arrow unit also fits, thematically.

Solland

Provincial Traits: This province was destroyed after Gorbad Ironclaw rampaged his way through the region centuries prior to the start of the game. For The Hunter and the Beast, Balthazar Gelt will get moved to this region for the Mortal Empires campaign. Since Gelt is the Supreme Patriarch, we can assume magic-themed units for this region.
Known Solland Units:
  • Because Gelt is there, any of the Wizard units could function as a special character. Perhaps even allow the player to pick one from a preferred college.
  • When you pick Gelt as your campaign general in ME, he comes with Greatswords, a Mortar, and Outriders. None of these units really fit with Gelt as a character, but it's worth noting.
  • A special Luminark unit is possible.

Wasteland

Provincial Traits: This area contains Marienburg, a major port city and commercial trading hub. Think of Amsterdam in The Netherlands. It is independent from the Empire, having succeeded in 2429 IC.
Known Wasteland Units:
  • Since the area is known for seafaring and trade, a special Free Company Militia unit fits thematically. Marienburg Docks, Marienburg Harbour, and Marienburg Port are all special buildings in-game.
  • Marine-type units would fit thematically, such as re-skinned and/or special Spearman, Swordsman, or Crossbowmen.

Sylvania

Provincial Traits: Home of the Vampire Counts and myriad Undead galore. Technically, it is considered a fief of Stirland, but HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No. Vampires rule here, and the people who live there that are not walking corpses are viewed as little more than cattle.
Known Sylvania Units:
  • Aside from Undead and Vampire units, the Order of the Sacred Scythe patrols the borders between Stirland and Sylvania. This order is known for their vampire-hunting prowess. Once you take the province from the Vampire Lords, you could unlock this order.
  • A special Witch Hunter unit also makes sense.

Nordland

Provincial Traits: Home to the Imperial Navy. Known for being blunt. Not bookish or scholarly, but great storytellers. Renowned hunters and foresters. They are known to worship Rhya and of Ulric. Good relationships with the Wood Elves of Laurelorn. The Silversmith Guild is in the capital of Salzenmund. Norscan Chaos worshippers are just across the Sea of Claws. Province is constantly raided by Norscans.
Known Nordland Units:
  • The Nordland Marines are renowned for their seafaring and combat at sea. This could be a special unit of Spearmen, Sowrdsmen, or Crossbowmen.
  • A special unit of Huntsman is consistent with the lore.
  • A special Amber Wizard would make sense.
And finally…

Middenland

Provincial Traits: I think we all know that Middenland could be its own unique faction. Middenland is arguably the most detailed and unique province outside of Reikland. The Winterfell of Warhammer. Roughed people. Harsh landscape. Ulric worship. A unique capital in Middenheim. Numerous unique units and special traits. And, of course, Elector Count Boris Todbringer.
Known Middenland Units:
  • The most obvious one is the Knights of the White Wolf, which is such a unique and iconic unit for Empire that it is really amazing that it is not already in-game. These can be re-skinned Bretonnia Questing Knights.
  • Teutogen Guard are like KotWW, but they fight without mounts and with double-handed hammers.
  • The Knights Panther have their chapterhouse in Middenhiem. There is a special building already in-game for this chapter house. Ironic unit, but not as iconic at KotWW. These are re-skinned Reiksguard Knights with special traits, such as hatred for Chaos.
  • Warriors of Ulric are fanatics for Ulric. These could be re-skinned Flagellants.
  • Wolf-Kin are like Norscan Bersekers, but covered in wolf pelts.
  • Children of Ulric are the "good werewolves." Unlike Norscan Skinwolves, these Lycan lovers can transform into werewolves and back again to human. Basically, re-skinned Skinwolves but with unique traits, such as regeneration.
Did I miss any of the obvious units? Are there some you feel are more important than others? Please comment and speculate. This is a very exciting feature to the changes for Empire.

Comments

• Arthas_Menethil#3421Arthas_Menethil#3421 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,351
    Basing it off what we've seen with Reikland who has the Carroburg Greatswords I'm going to go with RoR.

So stuff like Nuln Ironsides, Fellwood Brotherhood (Inner circle of the Knights of the White Wolf) and more things that would be one units instead of things that you should be able to get multiple of like normal Knightly Orders and not their Inner Circle and characters (heros and lords).
    So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

• TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,701
    the most obvious MIddenland unit, since we might've seen it in the Trailer:

The Emperor's Wrath -- Recently been to the Engineer's College in Altdorf for overhauling. It has been repaired and refitted back to a Conqueror Class configuration. Now returned to active duty, the Emperor's Wrath has been instrumental in aiding Graf Boris Todbringer's ongoing battles in the Drakwald forest.
    The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • bradleyvincentwellsbradleyvincentwells Registered Users Posts: 335

The Emperor's Wrath -- Recently been to the Engineer's College in Altdorf for overhauling. It has been repaired and refitted back to a Conqueror Class configuration. Now returned to active duty, the Emperor's Wrath has been instrumental in aiding Graf Boris Todbringer's ongoing battles in the Drakwald forest.

I actually did not know about this steam tank unit. Thank you. Honestly, I'd be disappointed if this were indeed the special unit for Middenland. But, it does fit with the lore. Thanks for sharing.
  • PoorManatee6197#6481PoorManatee6197#6481 Registered Users Posts: 2,546
    You made such a big work when the answer is probably much more simple. Based on Carroburg greatswords we can assume CA will go for already existing ROR. Something like:

Ostland: Fireloques of Ferlangen
    Ostermark: Death heads
    Stirland: Stir river patrol
    Wissenland: Nuln ironsides

And so on.
    #MakeDwarfsGreatAgain Josef Bugman, Thorek Ironbrow, Alrik Ranulfsson, Grimm Burloksson, Kazador Thunderhorn, Byrrnoth Grundadrakk, Malakai Makaisson, Gotrek Gurnisson, Garagrim, Dragon slayer, Deamon slayer, Doomseekers, Brotherhood of Grimnir, Giant slayers, Thunderbarge, Shieldbearer mount, Master brewer, Goblin Hewer, Norse dwarf war mammoth, Tractator engine, Rune golem, Shard dragon, proper Anvil of Doom, Ulther's dragon company, Lond Drong's slayer pirates, Everguard, Karak Varn, Karag Agrilwutraz, Karaz Bryn, Karag Dum, Karak Vlag, Kraka Dorden, Kraka Ornsmotek, Kraka Ravnsvake, Karak Vrag, Karak Azorn, Karak Krakaten.

All those missing things are grudges in the great book, is in your hand to settle them, CA. Khazukan kazakit-ha!

IT'S HOBGOBBO TIME!!!!!!!
    #JusticeForKurgan
  • CrossilCrossil Registered Users Posts: 14,927
    I'm not sure if Hochland Long Riflemen is the unit. The thing is supposed to be a sniper of sorts and it would be relatively larger. Perhaps some smaller gun?
    Furthermore, I consider that Daemon Prince must be removed.
  • TheGuardianOfMetalTheGuardianOfMetal Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 14,701

I actually did not know about this steam tank unit. Thank you. Honestly, I'd be disappointed if this were indeed the special unit for Middenland. But, it does fit with the lore. Thanks for sharing.
    It'd be disappointing. Which is exactly why i expect it to be in. I mean moving Gelt also is a massive disappointment when we could've had the Empires long lost FLC LL, like Helborg in Südenburg or Marius... or Boris...
    The Empire still hasn't gotten their FLC LL. We need Marius Leitdorf of Averland!

Where is Boris Todbringer? Have you seen him? For a Middenland DLC with Boris and the Ar-Ulric!

Every wrong is recorded. Every slight against us, page after page, ETCHED IN BLOOD!

Queek could smell their hatred, ratcheted to a degree that even he could not evoke in their simple hearts. He stepped over the old orange-fur’s body, eager to see for himself what it was they saw. But he heard it first.
    'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • DaGangsterDaGangster Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,917
    Crossil said:

I'm not sure if Hochland Long Riflemen is the unit. The thing is supposed to be a sniper of sorts and it would be relatively larger. Perhaps some smaller gun?

I imagine it is them since they were also in hochlands colors. It could easily be a handgunner RoR with lower numbers and much higher range.

Team Vampire Counts

"Many players cannot help approaching a game as an optimization puzzle. What gives the most reward for the least risk? What strategy provides the highest chance – or even a guaranteed chance – of success? Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."

- Soren Johnson

Crossil said:

I imagine it is them since they were also in hochlands colors. It could easily be a handgunner RoR with lower numbers and much higher range.
    if you mean the green boys in the trailer... those look more like Gunderman's Surefires

'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
  • 55JoNNo55JoNNo Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    I think they show cannons in the trailer which could be Wissenland. I think you also see Halberdiers in Marienburg colours.

Bohemond for game 3 please!

• Arthas_Menethil#3421Arthas_Menethil#3421 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 7,351
    goliath55 said:

I think they show cannons in the trailer which could be Wissenland. I think you also see Halberdiers in Marienburg colours.

I think these guys are more likely to be Wissenlands unit
    The Nuln Ironsides.

So...the Light's vaunted justice has finally arrived. Shall I lay down Frostmourne and throw myself at your mercy, Fordring?

goliath55 said:

or it could simply be a cannon

'Waaaaaaaggh! Gorfang!'
    Thanks for the comments so far. Nuln Ironsides look like a good option, especially if the blue Steam Tank is for Middenheim.

For others:
    Stir River Patrol could be re-skinned Swordsmen, or maybe Flagellants.
    Ostland Fireloques are beefed up handgunners.
    Ostermark Death Heads are beefed up halberdiers with scary/cool skull masks. Probably hated for undead or immune to fear.
    Others to speculate on include:
    Ostland Black Guard: Another beefed-up Greatsword unit
    Averland Von Kragsburg Guard: Impressive-looking halberdier unit.
    Nordland Seahawks: Another super halberdier unit.
  • OdTengri#8235OdTengri#8235 Registered Users Posts: 10,187
    Nordland - Knights of Mannan
    The Real Question is will Gundermans Surefires have Long Rifles like he does or regular rifles like in TT.